Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Sequential LED Tail Lights (Part 2) (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Sequential LED Tail Lights (Part 2) by doublec4
Started on: 11-02-2013 10:46 AM
Replies: 198 (9012 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-10-2016 01:06 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still working on them, I promise they're coming!

I ended up taking a vacation because I've been burnt out, but I'm back on it.
IP: Logged
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New progress guys!

I've finalized the notchback design and I've placed my order for the LED boards (notchback) to be manufactured. In the mean time I've bulk ordered a bunch of other components and I'll be prepping the circuit boards so they're ready when I start taking orders. I'm also tweaking some things with the GT design so it's not quite ready yet

Thanks for checking back!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 12-23-2013).]

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet man!

Originally posted by doublec4:

New progress guys!

I've finalized the notchback design and I've placed my order for the LED boards (notchback) to be manufactured. In the mean time I've bulk ordered a bunch of other components and I'll be prepping the circuit boards so they're ready when I start taking orders. I'm also tweaking some things with the GT design so it's not quite ready yet

Thanks for checking back!

kooljess

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look pretty kool. Nicely done...LIKE!!!

------------------

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
God every time this gets :bumped: my blood starts pumping!!! thinking they are done and ready to sell.....

You did get that $800 retainer I sent ya for the first set, right?
Fierotregg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotreggSend a Private Message to FierotreggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like these a lot!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

I'm excited to start getting these kits out there
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
me likes Chris! gr8 work!

I should be able to pick up
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made some progress on the GT lights as well. I made some prototype boards and just populated a few columns with LEDs to make sure the LEDs look consistent across the panel. Remember, the final product will obviously have a full panel of LEDs not just these segments. Also keep in mind, these are cheap LEDs that I am prototyping with (at an arbitrary brightness). The actual product will have nothing but the best super bright LEDs and the parking/brake brightness will be calibrated.

The turn signal panel will be similar but will feature the sequential function for flashing. I used RED LEDs in the following picture, but the final product will use AMBER LEDs so you'll have to use your imagination at the moment.

Just need to finalize a few small details and I will put these boards on order in bulk.

Thanks!
babyboy761

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for babyboy761Send a Private Message to babyboy761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm so looking forward for a set of GT's!
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2013 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoa I like the GT version. I will have to keep up with this project and when it is ready I believe I will be buying a set for my GT.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More progress to show you guys

The LED boards for the notchback came in and they look great! I was able to solder one today and hook it up to the sequential controller and they work very nicely.

These are the LEDs on the board:

Then with the reflectors pressed into place:

This is what it looks like on the front side connected to the main panel:

This is the back side:

I've also been using my spare time to solder up the controller boards so they'll be ready when I put the kits up for sale:

I should be ordering the GT LED boards soon as well.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW oh WOW!!!!
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, let me say that your stuff looks really good. I was curious of your background and what your plan for "weatherizing" these are.

I ask because I have an automotive electronics background.

Bob
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

My education is in automotive engineering, but I currently practice mechanical engineering designing industrial equipment (plastic injection molding machines).

I enjoy learning new things so I decided to learn more about electronics (PCB design) and this is what I've come up with so far.

As for weatherizing, these units will sit inside the stock tail light housings which are water tight so long as the seal is sufficient. In the worst case scenario where some water gets inside the tail light housing, it will obviously run to the bottom of the housing and the electronic boards are suspended off the bottom. The person installing the lights should be diligent to ensure a good seal between the tail light housings and if necessary, add more of that black glue that the factory used. I think this stuff here would work well:

https://www.theretrofitsour....php?products_id=792

Thanks for looking!
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey,

Nice to see the work you have been doing. I actually took a completely different route for the L.E.D.s. It about time the Fieros get to this level of technology. The old bulbs are out, and the new L.E.D.s are in . Again great job!
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting excited!!!!

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you have video of the whole lights assembled with the parking LEDS?

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

do you have video of the whole lights assembled with the parking LEDS?

Making one right now!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Lighting in the video looks kind of washed out but I'm uploading it now anyways.

Here are a few more pictures in the mean time:

Edit to add video:

Keep in mind that it looks much more "crisp" in person. The video is over exposed and washed out. In real life the LEDs don't bleed into one another like in the video. I'll have to see if I can capture it better with another camera.

In the second part of the video, you'll notice the parking light cancellation feature. Basically, when the brake lights or turn signal are activated, the parking lights will be automatically deactivated for the duration of the brake/turn signal. They will automatically resume once the brake/turn signal is off. This feature will be included on all of the controller boards but you do not have to use it. You can bypass it if you like the traditional look of the parking lights remaining on.

Thanks for looking!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 01-06-2014).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off I'd like to say nice job, very well thought out and executed.
Secondly, I'd like to ask if the sequencing will be variable? In my opinion ( I'm not criticizing at all) the sequence out is too fast for my tastes, I'd like it to be a little slower. I've had sequencing tail lights on both of my Fieros and I like them a little more "lazy". Is this a possiblility? Please keep up the great work, I'll be happy to buy one of each when you get it all worked out. -Jason
PFF
System Bot
kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Applause!!!!

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome job
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yup these will look great on my car once you have the GT ones done. Nice job!

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kind words guys

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

First off I'd like to say nice job, very well thought out and executed.
Secondly, I'd like to ask if the sequencing will be variable? In my opinion ( I'm not criticizing at all) the sequence out is too fast for my tastes, I'd like it to be a little slower. I've had sequencing tail lights on both of my Fieros and I like them a little more "lazy". Is this a possiblility? Please keep up the great work, I'll be happy to buy one of each when you get it all worked out. -Jason

The length of time that a sequencing cycle takes is governed by the flashing unit under your dash board. It determines how long voltage is applied to the controller board. Each of my cycles has to fit into one "flash" done by the flashing unit.

With this kit, you will need to replace your flasher unit with one that is compatible with LEDs. I have a part number here that can be found on ebay or other places on the internet. For those who buy my tail light kit, I would highly recommend using this same flasher that I use. This way the cycle time is consistent.

If you want slower sequencing, you can try and find a LED flasher that works slower and then adjust the speed on my controller board to match. My controller boards can be adjusted at any time, however, you need to hook them up to your computer via a serial connection. It's somewhat involved, but if it bothers you that much and you are determined to change it, it can be done! I would of course help you along the way and show you how.

There are even DIY tutorials out there on how to "hack" your electronic flasher and put in a variable (pot) resistor to set the flash rate to whatever you like!

http://www.instructables.co...-rate-modification./

Nothing is impossible, it just depends on how determined you are to make it work!

I've just tried to design the kit to be as plug and play as possible.

------------------

Embrace Racing

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 01-07-2014).]

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the kind words guys

The length of time that a sequencing cycle takes is governed by the flashing unit under your dash board. It determines how long voltage is applied to the controller board. Each of my cycles has to fit into one "flash" done by the flashing unit.

With this kit, you will need to replace your flasher unit with one that is compatible with LEDs. I have a part number here that can be found on ebay or other places on the internet. For those who buy my tail light kit, I would highly recommend using this same flasher that I use. This way the cycle time is consistent.

If you want slower sequencing, you can try and find a LED flasher that works slower and then adjust the speed on my controller board to match. My controller boards can be adjusted at any time, however, you need to hook them up to your computer via a serial connection. It's somewhat involved, but if it bothers you that much and you are determined to change it, it can be done! I would of course help you along the way and show you how.

There are even DIY tutorials out there on how to "hack" your electronic flasher and put in a variable (pot) resistor to set the flash rate to whatever you like!

http://www.instructables.co...-rate-modification./

Nothing is impossible, it just depends on how determined you are to make it work!

I've just tried to design the kit to be as plug and play as possible.

The flasher unit I think is sold on Top Line Group's website if I'm not mistaken because I have the LED bulbs that they sold on there and the no load LED flasher module. Let me know if this is the correct one that would work with your kit.

http://www.tlg-auto.com/Fie...le_p/fieroled026.htm

The LED's look amazing man!! Good stuff, can't wait to put them on. They will definitely go on the first week I receive them!!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:
The flasher unit I think is sold on Top Line Group's website if I'm not mistaken because I have the LED bulbs that they sold on there and the no load LED flasher module. Let me know if this is the correct one that would work with your kit.

http://www.tlg-auto.com/Fie...le_p/fieroled026.htm

The LED's look amazing man!! Good stuff, can't wait to put them on. They will definitely go on the first week I receive them!!

Unfortunately I don't think that one will work.

I got mine here:

http://www.memotronics.com/product?pid=1289

The part number is EF32RL so if you search that in google you'll find a bunch of places that carry them.

It is a 2 prong flashing unit so it plugs directly in place of the stock one. However, you'll notice it has a black ground cable coming out of the top. You will need to ground this under your dash somewhere.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the flasher have to be round? I think this one will work.

http://www.superbrightleds....nic-flasher/781/835/

I have gotten LED flashers (for my bikes) from them and they blink pretty normal.

Excellent Work Doublec4! I will interested in a set soon.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 01-07-2014).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That could potentially work, but again, unless its the exact same one I can't guarantee that the flash rate will work out. It says on that website that the flash rate is 90 times / min +- 10%

As I mentioned before though, the sequencing speed on my boards can be adjusted.

The datasheet I have for the flasher I used says the flash rate is 60 to 120 times per minute depending on temperature. I think right now mine is on the fast end of that.
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As was mentioned before..AWESOME job! Also as was stated by Jason, a slower turn signal rate might look better but its not a deal breaker. Have you tried taking the parking lights all the way around to housing like on the new Chargers? How hard would it be to do like a option to the kit?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As was mentioned before..AWESOME job! Also as was stated by Jason, a slower turn signal rate might look better but its not a deal breaker. Have you tried taking the parking lights all the way around to housing like on the new Chargers? How hard would it be to do like a option to the kit?

I haven't tried it but it wouldn't be that difficult to do. The only two drawbacks to this I can think of are that it would use more LEDs (more expensive / more wiring) and that the tail lights are made in two pieces. This means that if there is any misalignment of the two panels, it will be very obvious.

Let me know your thoughts!
PFF
System Bot
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unfortunately I don't think that one will work.

I got mine here:

http://www.memotronics.com/product?pid=1289

The part number is EF32RL so if you search that in google you'll find a bunch of places that carry them.

It is a 2 prong flashing unit so it plugs directly in place of the stock one. However, you'll notice it has a black ground cable coming out of the top. You will need to ground this under your dash somewhere.

Sounds good. I ordered the one you have on here from eBay so I will have it already when I get the taillights. Going to order that stuff also you posted to seal the taillights back up when I get the LED board in.

Thanks man!!

-Amir
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds good. I ordered the one you have on here from eBay so I will have it already when I get the taillights. Going to order that stuff also you posted to seal the taillights back up when I get the LED board in.

Thanks man!!

-Amir

No problem!

That stuff I posted may not be necessary, but if you're worried about it, it should work well.

I've opened and closed my tail lights many times and have never had a problem with the stock glue not resealing. I was actually surprised!
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really good work - I like it! I'd consider it for my GT if I didn't already have the Hella LED rings installed...
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks man!!

-Amir

Be careful with that stuff when sealing your tail lights, you can stretch it pretty thin ( you can take a 1 inch piece and stretch it 4-5 inches) and it be effective in sealing. When I did a projector retrofit on my 2012 Focus, I didn't stretch it out and it was too much when I pressed them back together and I had alot of it stick out of the cracks. It stays very sticky and has a very strong seal. You will need to use a heat gun to set it and a heat gun to separate it after its been together a while.

Just an FYI.
86caddyslim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86caddyslimSend a Private Message to 86caddyslimEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgive me if I missed something but are they available to order yet?? If so please let me know how, if not please let me know when (best guess).
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand what you are saying about the lights not meeting up. But I think it can be done. If not all the way maybe just the top row a little longer then the lower. Kinda like the Kia Optima tailights. Maybe a photoshop is in order. Do you know whos i can contact on here thats good at it? I'm not on here like i used to be.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Be careful with that stuff when sealing your tail lights, you can stretch it pretty thin ( you can take a 1 inch piece and stretch it 4-5 inches) and it be effective in sealing. When I did a projector retrofit on my 2012 Focus, I didn't stretch it out and it was too much when I pressed them back together and I had alot of it stick out of the cracks. It stays very sticky and has a very strong seal. You will need to use a heat gun to set it and a heat gun to separate it after its been together a while.

Just an FYI.

Good info! Thanks!

Originally posted by 86caddyslim:

Forgive me if I missed something but are they available to order yet?? If so please let me know how, if not please let me know when (best guess).

Almost ready for sale, just a little while longer

I understand what you are saying about the lights not meeting up. But I think it can be done. If not all the way maybe just the top row a little longer then the lower. Kinda like the Kia Optima tailights. Maybe a photoshop is in order. Do you know whos i can contact on here thats good at it? I'm not on here like i used to be.

Like this?

I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the look to be honest. Kind of reminds me of something from Star Trek? haha

Let me know what you guys think. This is the current design so you can see them side by side:

------------------

Embrace Racing

bmac

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's definately interesting. Reminds me of the rear end of the new chargers and challengers.

Brian

[This message has been edited by bmac (edited 01-08-2014).]

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Like this?

I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the look to be honest. Kind of reminds me of something from Star Trek? haha

Let me know what you guys think. This is the current design so you can see them side by side:

I definitely like the original design now the 2nd picture because it's how the current tailights look in a sense and look more like a Fiero. Not saying the first ones aren't cool, but just seems a little much especially since they are a 2 piece taillight setup now on our cars. The Chargers have a bar that goes all the way across to make it easier to line them up and keep the lines of the body.

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 01-08-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock