Daytona Fiero Weekend 2014 by 87GT2M6
Started on: 09-01-2013 04:11 PM
Replies: 79 (2272 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 01-23-2014 10:11 AM
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After going for several years in a row and then not being able to attend the last two, I'm ready for 2014.

With that said I don't know if a Daytona Fiero Weekend 2014 is going to happen.

Does anyone know if its in the works, is there interest for one more get together?

post your thoughts, inquiring minds want to know...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the thread in the Events section.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Participation has dropped off over the past few years. It would be a shame to see this long running show go down the tubes. Florida is the perfect place to be in March when the snow is falling in the north. I would think Daytona would draw 100+ cars, but lately it hasn't been much more than 40 or 50.

[This message has been edited by rpro (edited 09-01-2013).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

Participation has dropped off over the past few years. It would be a shame to see this long running show go down the tubes. Florida is the perfect place to be in March when the snow is falling in the north. I would think Daytona would draw 100+ cars, but lately it hasn't been much more than 40 or 50.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the economy is more to blame than anything wrong with the show. Yes Florida in March is nearly perfect, but so is food on the table and a mortgage payment. $3.50/gal gas doesn't help either. I would love to go to Daytona every year, but it would be a whole lot easier if they would move it one week earlier to coincide with Spring break in Texas. It would be a no brainer for me. Can someone make that happen? On second thought it needs to be two weeks earlier, lol.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-01-2013).]

Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Currently there are no show plans being pursued.

Dragon, of Space Coast Fieros, has retired (literally), and has commenced a year of adjustment to a new lifestyle. While still very active in the Fiero community, he is attempting to enjoy more events as a participant than an organizer.

Myself, with Central Florida Fieros, have also retired (also literally), and am trying to catch up on past due Fiero projects so I too can enjoy more events.

I know of no one currently doing any planning for 2014! The contacts we used to work with at Daytona have changed, with a different emphasis away from shows and like events. 2013 was a difficult year forging new relationships at the track. We recently gave up our "turn 4" show spot (after 17 years) to new takers. Our former Daytona contacts are now urging Fiero participation in some long standing local shows, but later in the fall. Not as big a draw for Northerners to visit Florida.

We'll see what shakes out, but currently there is no "organized" Fiero Fest" planned for Daytona in 2014.
------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 GT looking to a 3.4 transpant
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
  • 88 Factory T-Top, really, the "last" one!

[This message has been edited by Gwain (edited 09-10-2013).]

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gwain:

Dragon, of Space Coast Fieros, has retired (literally), and has commenced a year of adjustment to a new lifestyle. While still very active in the Fiero community, he is attempting to enjoy more events as a participant than an organizer.

Myself, with Central Florida Fieros, have also retired (also literally), and am trying to catch up on past due Fiero projects so I too can enjoy more events.

I know of no one currently doing any planning for 2014! The contacts we used to work with at Daytona have changed, with a different emphasis away from shows and like events. 2013 was a difficult year forging new relationships at the track. We recently gave up our "turn 4" show spot (after 17 years) to new takers. Our former Daytona contacts are now urging Fiero participation in some long standing local shows, but later in the fall. Not as big a draw for Northerners to visit Florida.

We'll see what shakes out, but currently there is no "organized" Fiero Fest" planned for Daytona in 2014.

And no one bothered to start a thread or contact anyone to take over organization of the show? So Frank retires and you do also and all the sudden Daytona is no more?
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jimmy, you are welcome to take the lead for a Daytona Fiero show, as there are six months before the Daytona event.
rpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting that my wife and I were just discussing the Daytona show this morning over breakfast. We thought that the Suncoast club might want to take the reins this year and orchestrate an event. there are a handful of dedicated volunteers (one of which is me) over here on the spacecoast side that would gladly roll up our sleeves and help make this happen. I can fully appreciate Dragon wanting to kick back a little after doing this for almost two decades. There is absolutely NO reason not to hold it because a few people are now enjoying their golden years. We just watched this happen with the Dells run, where one mans decision cancelled the entire event. I don't want that to happen here. Dragon and his faithful band of volunteers deserve a collective round of applause for what they've done over the years, but it's time for some new people to step up to the plate and keep this tradition alive. Perhaps it will be in a different format and greatly simplified, but we should still do it. IMHO

[This message has been edited by rpro (edited 09-02-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really hope there is one next year,being that I have yet to attend one of these events.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow! Didn't see that coming.

I always enjoyed the Daytona show. I assume that Fieros are still welcome at the Spring Turkey Run?

If you all do plan a local event how about my suggestion of two weeks earlier? Having it during Texas Spring Break makes it a no brainer. At least twice I've been in Florida but the wrong week to attend the show.
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:
And no one bothered to start a thread or contact anyone to take over organization of the show? So Frank retires and you do also and all the sudden Daytona is no more?

I agree with JimmyS on this..... It is apparent that the two people involved have retired, and not planning on doing the show any longer. This is understandable. However, to not post about it, or even attempt to get someone else to take over in any way makes no sense! Just a VERY snide comment: "Jimmy, you are welcome to take the lead for a Daytona Fiero show, as there are six months before the Daytona event." Really? This is the way you see that the organization should be passed on to someone else?! This event has been going for 17 years, and you just assumed that no one would be interested in keeping this going? What a shame.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just because 2 members retire doesn't mean that either one of you
"JimmyS" or "JohnWPB" can't take over the responsibilities of the
organization of such a great show.They are probably burnt out from doing it for soo many years without enough people to volunteer their help with the event.It should be collaboration between all the local Fiero clubs.From what you two are saying that they should be doing everything as usual without any help at all.Maybe they both
just want to relax and enjoy their retirement without all the stress
hassle of planning a big show.It seems you would rather them do
all the work and not worry about their health and well being.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Just because 2 members retire doesn't mean that either one of you
"JimmyS" or "JohnWPB" can't take over the responsibilities of the
organization of such a great show.They are probably burnt out from doing it for soo many years without enough people to volunteer their help with the event.It should be collaboration between all the local Fiero clubs.From what you two are saying that they should be doing everything as usual without any help at all.Maybe they both
just want to relax and enjoy their retirement without all the stress
hassle of planning a big show.It seems you would rather them do
all the work and not worry about their health and well being.

And you obviously don't read or you simply just hear what you want to hear. We don't have a problem with any of them not wanting to organize the show. We simply feel that they should have made some sort of announcement saying so to give the opportunity for someone else to step up and do it. For them to just come out all the sudden and say Daytona is done is BS.

And OldLar, your snide remark was unwarranted and un called for. I personally don't want to be the organizer. I gave up on that show a few years ago.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then maybe they should of let everyone know that at the end of last years show so it could be passed on to someone else in a timely manner.I just figured you would want to, being a big manufacturer
of Fierofiberglass and all.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Then maybe they should of let everyone know that at the end of last years show so it could be passed on to someone else in a timely manner.I just figured you would want to, being a big manufacturer
of Fierofiberglass and all.

And that is exactly what John and I are saying. Why was there no type of notification to the Fiero community?

Some people have been working on preparing a car for the show and all the sudden, 6 months before, Daytona is no more?

Never assume. Insert old adage.
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok everybody. I only saw the thread in the "EVENTS" section so let's bring everybody up to speed.
Let's take a deep breath and just calm the fluck down. okay? Good.

After last year's show the main show organization (not our little Fiero splinter cell) didn't even know if there would be a Spring Show in the Daytona infield. We have just now confirmed that there will be one thus Lar's post. So woohoo let's not get upset over good news.

Frank has been passing the preparation of this show over to Central Florida Fieros for a couple years now. As the Events Coordinator of CFF let me announce here (as I have already done in the "EVENTS" section) that CFF will continue to put on the show with any help that anybody or any other club would like to offer.

Let's have a round of applause for Frank and Marc and all the others for what they have provided for our enjoyment over the past many years.

Let the fun begin. Volunteers? Anyone?
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum7/HTML/000440.html

Hey Frank and Marc, you guys are retired now. Want to help organize a big Fiero party? I kid. I kid. lol

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 09-03-2013).]

Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me apologize to all those offended by the lack of communications. I didn't intend to open a can of worms here.

My recent post "was" intended to communicate. Perhaps a little late, but that was not intentional. When I started seeing the questions about Daytona I just wanted to let everyone know there were no plans in the works for this year.

It's already been noted that attendance has been waning. Economy, aging of the community, whatever. We've been talking about that for the last few years as we've planned each Daytona show.

We've also worked our butts off the last few years to come up with new ideas, different events, encouraging vendors, anything to boost the turn out. Last year I was pleased to see more than 60 cars show. Like always, I had a great time.

The simple fact is there's no set, manpower team in place to carry this on. Every year we scramble and beg to get enough help to carry on and promote the show. My whining is not intended to grumble about those who help. They do yeoman's work, and too often we forget to thank them. The problem is, it's just not enough to help plan and coordinate this thing year by year. That takes a dedicated, committed team and for a number of years that "team" has been a hand full of folks who have faithfully trudged on year after year, hoping that some "new blood" would catch the excitement. It hasn't happened.

For the last couple of years, Dragon has communicated to me he wanted to retire, and have someone carry this on. For the last couple of years I've made him aware that I would help in any way, but was not looking to take on the lead.

Now we're there.

While I appreciate everyone's interest that the show carry on, I don't recall receiving any Emails asking how they could help. (That's a dig by the way).

It's already been mentioned about the Dell's. That didn't happen this year. (I for one have never been to the Dells, and now I maybe never will). Each of the truly memorable shows are more a work of love than an organized event per se. The Daytona Show has carried on for 17 seasons, and that's long, good run.

If someone wants to move this forward, then by all means, do so. I would note in the Events section, there is commitment by Central Florida Fieros to do just that. CFF will be having their September meeting this week. We'll see how it goes.

In any event, it "will" be communicated.

Again folks, my apologies.

Marc in (still sunny) Florida

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 GT looking to a 3.4 transpant
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
  • 88 Factory T-Top, really, the "last" one!

[This message has been edited by Gwain (edited 09-10-2013).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And you obviously don't read or you simply just hear what you want to hear. We don't have a problem with any of them not wanting to organize the show. We simply feel that they should have made some sort of announcement saying so to give the opportunity for someone else to step up and do it. For them to just come out all the sudden and say Daytona is done is BS.

And OldLar, your snide remark was unwarranted and un called for. I personally don't want to be the organizer. I gave up on that show a few years ago.

Why, then since you don't attend the show, start complaining when you discover it hasn't been in the planning stage for the past few months? For the past five years there has been a lack of many volunteers to help with the planning. I look at the issue as the culmination of the progressive ideals,.People want things for themselves, but want other to give it to them.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regarding the Dells. As of a few weeks ago at least, Dells 2014 is currently being planned and worked on. If the traditional date for the Dells was not so close to the 30th, I am guessing it would have taken place this past year too.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Why, then since you don't attend the show, start complaining when you discover it hasn't been in the planning stage for the past few months? For the past five years there has been a lack of many volunteers to help with the planning. I look at the issue as the culmination of the progressive ideals,.People want things for themselves, but want other to give it to them.

Because I'm still a member of the Fiero Community and I feel that the way this went down was wrong. Just because I have decided not to attend the past few years does not mean that I would not attend in the future. And while were on the subject of questions... Why the He!! do you feel the need to pop off with a snide remark to my 2 original questions?

Before you go spouting off about people taking without giving/helping, you need to take a hard look at what some others have generously donated to that show.
PFF
System Bot
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
possible logo for the event: draft version 1.

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will volunteer to help in any way that I can from 3 hours south of you. I sure can't to do anything local to Daytona from here, as far as scouting places to eat, and recreational activities. I can do / help with graphics work such as for a poster, or T-Shirts.

I would be able to organize a mailing list that people can sign up for to keep notified. I can also set up a web site with all the pertinent information. This I think would be a great help! Last year I drove up with another forum member and we were not sure where to meet or what to do once we got there! We tried the website and it had no information on what and where. Luckily it did say that people were meeting for Breakfast, and met everyone there to get the scoop on what was happening. The page is still up HERE and mentions a cruise, and air boat rides. No time or location for either. There is a link to where the air boats are located at least!

I have done stuff like this for 2 different organizations, a Florida Car Club, as well as a South Florida Pilot's club. I used to do a custom Google calendar tied directly to a custom Google Map for events, with markers on the map for all the activities and times. If someone thinks any of this would be helpful, please let me know!

Call my Cell at 56I 236 7O24, if I don't answer (I screen calls from unknown numbers ) Just leave a msg and I will call you right back!

rpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87GT2M6 and JohnWPB, you are both on our radar. Thanks for the offers.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... We recently gave up our "turn 4" show spot (after 17 years) to new takers...

Oh no! Not good. I guess if anyone was somewhat close to the organizers they would know what was coming. I wasn't and I knew. Why they need to announce anything? They are not getting paid nor leaving an appointed position. Would be nice to have a show. I can't volunteer but I'm willing to pay a fee to get into a good show.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Oh no! Not good. I guess if anyone was somewhat close to the organizers they would know what was coming. I wasn't and I knew. Why they need to announce anything? They are not getting paid nor leaving an appointed position. Would be nice to have a show. I can't volunteer but I'm willing to pay a fee to get into a good show.

Alex, the show will go on fear not. It will take a group effort, but we are working to make it happen.

Also we HAVE NOT lost our turn 4 spot. Chuck recently spoke to the folks at be and we are still good to go as per usual.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Alex, the show will go on fear not. It will take a group effort, but we are working to make it happen.

Also we HAVE NOT lost our turn 4 spot. Chuck recently spoke to the folks at be and we are still good to go as per usual.

rpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex, we genuinely look forward to seeing you again. Talk to the rest of the guys down in your part of the state and light a fire under their butts to attend.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

Alex, we genuinely look forward to seeing you again. Talk to the rest of the guys down in your part of the state and light a fire under their butts to attend.

Yeah they made me feel a little guilty because when I said I wasn't going one week before then they lost interest and no one went. But if it is the same weekend of the Palm Beach boat show then I may miss it again.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

I have yet to go to Daytona, so I do not know how true any of this is, but will post it here for comments.

I was Talking with some people at a Fiero get together a year or so ago. The group consensus was that "Turn 4 spot" was way out and away from many of the other cars, vendors, and food vendors. Like 1/4 to 1/2 mile out. They said a lot of people complained that not many people toured the Fiero area compared to other areas, and that was the reason, that it was just so far away.

Ok, location aside: To do the 2014 show, how much money are we talking about that needs to be raised? I know in the past that people would donate door prices, and tickets were sold for those items be raffled off. Items were donated generously by V8 Archie, Fiero Fiberglass, Mr. Mike and many others. I know over $400 was collected with raffle tickets for just one item that was donated that I personally know of. Is that all part of the money it takes to rent the space for us Fiero Owners to park at the show? I know Archie donated all the trophies out of his pocket one year. Then a fee I think was somewhere around $25 was collected if you wanted your Fiero Judged. If you did not pay the fee, your car was excluded from judging. Was this money used to pay for the judges, or it went into the pool to do the show?

The bottom line, is what is the exact dollar amount that needs to be raised so we can make sure that the 2014 goes on as planned?

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 09-06-2013).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
I have yet to go to Daytona, so I do not know how true any of this is, but will post it here for comments.

I was Talking with some people at a Fiero get together a year or so ago. The group consensus was that "Turn 4 spot" was way out and away from many of the other cars, vendors, and food vendors. Like 1/4 to 1/2 mile out. They said a lot of people complained that not many people toured the Fiero area compared to other areas, and that was the reason, that it was just so far away.

Ok, location aside: To do the 2014 show, how much money are we talking about that needs to be raised? I know in the past that people would donate door prices, and tickets were sold for those items be raffled off. Items were donated generously by V8 Archie, Fiero Fiberglass, Mr. Mike and many others. I know over $400 was collected with raffle tickets for just one item that was donated that I personally know of. Is that all part of the money it takes to rent the space for us Fiero Owners to park at the show? I know Archie donated all the trophies out of his pocket one year. Then a fee I think was somewhere around $25 was collected if you wanted your Fiero Judged. If you did not pay the fee, your car was excluded from judging. Was this money used to pay for the judges, or it went into the pool to do the show?

The bottom line, is what is the exact dollar amount that needs to be raised so we can make sure that the 2014 goes on as planned?

I'd like to know what single item collected $400 in a raffle at Daytona and what year?. I've been going since 1996 and don't remember any big ticket item that collected that much. No judges have ever been paid for the Fiero event, all have been volunteers, and if you come, you can be a judge volunteer. Last year we had members from Wide Track Warriors as judges.

The last few years, the Daytona show has been ala carte. You send $25 to Daytona Racing district for to register a car (+ a passenger) to get into the track for the three day event. ( $15/day to walk into the gate)
The Daytona Fiero weekend last year was $25, Banquet was $30, Air Boat was $20, Sugar Mill breakfast (whatever you ordered), North turn lunch (whatever you ordered ), hotel ($79+/night) , custom commemorative shirt (depends on what you order). You choose what you want to do and what you want to spend.
The only funds that the club gets is the initial registration fee, which covers some of the costs associated with show set up, and raffles $ from donated items, all other $ are to the vendors/events.

The Daytona forth turn has been a good location for Fieros as other locations have other clubs "reserved" locations. When 150 Fieros showed up, it got a lot of traffic. Last year even the Corvette clubs didn't show up, as many vendors didn't show and the management changed the show back to a three day event.

Archie and GT Service donated some $ for trophies last year.

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 09-06-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have yet to go to Daytona,...

You have never been there?? I would bet I have seen you there and even say Hi. Ja! If you were you would agree that corner has been perfect. Unless you like to buy a lot at the flea market like me. Then it is way far away I wouldn't change a thing. When we had 100+ cars the whole show was bigger and we had a lot of show goers visiting. Now we have 30+ Fieros and the whole show is not the same. When you have more cars at the Car Corral than showing I guess most will want to be close to what they are selling. Don't see it changing much if economy stays as is
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

You have never been there?? I would bet I have seen you there and even say Hi. Ja!

Nope sorry..... I have been to your house a couple times, met you at a few local car shows, and even a couple times over at JimmyS's on the other coast. I Did go a few months ago, but just Friday for the cruise and the air boat ride. I wasn't able to stay for Saturday and go inside the Daytona track.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

.. I Did go a few months ago, but just Friday for the cruise and the air boat ride. I wasn't able to stay for Saturday and go inside the Daytona track.

Oohh. That must be the one I remember. Man you have been missing so much! Is your car finally done? Take that car to Daytona and I'm sure it will draw a lot of interest to go and see it including me
animal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old Lar apeaks the truth. I've also been going to Daytona every year since I met Frank in the early 90's and I've been the chief judge (complaint target) for several of the bigger shows. For you folks that don't know much about Daytona or NASCAR., the fourth turn is holy ground - that's where Dale Earnhart (the Intimadator) was killed. His point of impact with the wall is in the background of many of the Fiero group shots at Daytona. Also, the Fiero site is located right next to the tunnel, the Impala club, the corvette club, the cobra club, and not more that 100 ft from where all the hot rod parking starts, food, and most important for us old guys - the bathrooms are right next to us. Seems that througfh the years the most vocal complainers have been the ones that either don't go to the show or the ones who never volunteer to do anything to help put on the show. That said, I agree with Frank that it's time to pass the baton. He and Marianna have been doing the bulk of the legwork for years and they want to retire and enjoy just being there. Me too! So I hope you younger guys do manage to pick up the show and keep it going. It's always a great time and place to catch up with all the Fiero friends we've made through the years. Have a show - they will come.

------------------

87 GT, Ramjet 350 SBC, 6-Spd
Melbourne, FL

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd like to know what single item collected $400 in a raffle at Daytona and what year?. I've been going since 1996 and don't remember any big ticket item that collected that much. No judges have ever been paid for the Fiero event, all have been volunteers, and if you come, you can be a judge volunteer. Last year we had members from Wide Track Warriors as judges.

The last few years, the Daytona show has been ala carte. You send $25 to Daytona Racing district for to register a car (+ a passenger) to get into the track for the three day event. ( $15/day to walk into the gate)
The Daytona Fiero weekend last year was $25, Banquet was $30, Air Boat was $20, Sugar Mill breakfast (whatever you ordered), North turn lunch (whatever you ordered ), hotel ($79+/night) , custom commemorative shirt (depends on what you order). You choose what you want to do and what you want to spend.
The only funds that the club gets is the initial registration fee, which covers some of the costs associated with show set up, and raffles $ from donated items, all other $ are to the vendors/events.

The Daytona forth turn has been a good location for Fieros as other locations have other clubs "reserved" locations. When 150 Fieros showed up, it got a lot of traffic. Last year even the Corvette clubs didn't show up, as many vendors didn't show and the management changed the show back to a three day event.

Archie and GT Service donated some $ for trophies last year.

Congratulation, you just succeeded in answering none of what John asked.
rpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John and Jimmy,

You would have to ask Dragon or Gwain, but if memory serves it was an attractive package from Mr. Mike... something like new leather seats and some complementary interior upgrades. There was also a killer set of coil overs from Held that might have drawn that much $$. I think the money from the raffle went to charity... wounded warriors or something of that nature.

Turn four rocks!! It's about 100 paces from the food vendors and other muscle car classes. It also has the added benefit of over two acres of available grass for us to have activities on. People roam the entire property, so there is no shortage of spectators. Last year I watched wave after wave of people coming through our section.

[This message has been edited by rpro (edited 09-06-2013).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Congratulation, you just succeeded in answering none of what John asked.

Jimmy, you have all the answers, you can answer the questions, since you have attended so many Dytona shows and have been involved with the planning and execution.
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd like to know what single item collected $400 in a raffle at Daytona and what year?.

Let me enlighten you. Year was 2009. Item was Side Scoops donated by Fiero Fiberglass. IIKool (Ken) won them. He told me that he knew he was going to win them cause he bought $100 worth of tickets himself. I was approached by one of the Coordinators and the comment to me was... Your Scoops are very popular, they have drawn near $400 worth of tickets already.

This is gonna be long but after 3 years of weighing on my mind, It's time for me to voice my personal feelings on Daytona. This is my personal feelings and opinions and I am not speaking for anyone else.

I have spoken to some people on the phone about this but I never brought it up on the forum. This may get me some negs but I gotta get this off my chest and out in the open once and for all.

I attended my first Daytona show in 2007. I had an awesome experience there! I met a ton of Fiero owners and started to build friendships with other Fiero owners. I booked my room at the designated hotel. I bought all my own food, gas, souvenir's and so on. I paid my fee to get into the track. I parked over at turn 4 with the Fiero Group. I was given 1 ticket for the "Door Prize Drawing". When it was time for the "Door Prize Drawing", a crowd gathered round anxiously waiting to see if they were going to win a prize. An item was held up and a ticket was drawn. Then the next item was held up and another ticket was drawn. This went on till all the "Door Prizes" were "GIVEN" away.

2008 was basically a repeat of 2007. An awesome time was had and more Fiero Friends were made. Later that year, Fiero Fiberglass was born.

I was to attend 2009 but this time I was going as a Vendor. Fiero Fiberglass graciously donated a set of Side Scoops (winners choice of style) (Value at the time, $250.00) to the "Door Prize Drawing". Things were not as they seemed though. This year something had changed. There was no longer a "Door Prize Drawing". That "Door Prize Drawing" was now a Raffle but being marketed as a "Door Prize Drawing". Every "DONATED" item was placed on a table with a bucket/jug in front of it. If you wanted to win anything, you had to "BUY" tickets for each item you wanted a chance at winning. No one was given a free ticket. Nothing was being "Given" away. As I stated earlier, IIKooL won the Side Scoops. He told me that he bought $100 worth of tickets. The bucket/jug that was in front of the Side Scoops was over stuffed with tickets. I won't lie, this whole situation left a VERY BAD taste in my mouth. Why was the items being "Raffled" instead of given away like the 2 previous years I had attended?

2010 I attended again as a Vendor but this year was also going to be different. This year Fiero Fiberglass was going to hold their own "True Door Prize Drawing". A couple other vendors followed in my footsteps and sent me items to be "Given Away". TLG Automotive sent me a LED Kit and Infinitewill donated one of his Trunk Seals. I gave everyone, who came to our tent, 1 "Free" ticket. No tickets were "Sold" and no "Raffle" was held. We picked a random kid from the crowd, we announced what it was the ticket holder would win and the kid then drew a ticket. We did this till all items had been given away. 2010 also had some other differences. This year, cars were going to be judged and awards (donated by V8Archie) were going to be given out. There was a catch though. If you wanted your car to be judged, you had to pay an entry fee. This fee was on top of the entry fee that got you into the track.. This added entry fee didn't sit with me well either knowing that the awards were a donated item. After discussing this with my partners (Dan and the late Kris Munson) we decided that we would no longer donate our products and I would no longer attend the Daytona event as long as it was going to be run in this manner.

Now I have some questions just like JohnWPB. Where is all this money going? What are the expenses of having the Daytona show? The awards are donated, the prizes are donated and the space inside the track is free to the Fiero Community so what was all the generated revenue being used for? If someone were to want to take over, what would it cost? I genuinely want to know the answers to these questions cause I can't figure out what the expenses are. T-Shirts and dash Plaques are the only 2 expenses I can come up with and both those items are sold to whoever wants to buy them. as a donating vendor I deserve to know that my item/items are going to be Raffled and not given away and I also deserve to know what that generated money is going to be used for.

It is my understanding that the main show has offered to supply judging free of charge and also to have the Fiero's judged with the main show. But to my knowledge, this has never happened. Why not?

Everyone who attends the Daytona Show has the same expenses as everyone else. Gas, Hotel, Food, Attractions (Go-Carts, Air boats and so on), Souvenirs and entry fee into the track.

Now before you go and neg me for this post, please understand my point of view as a Vendor who donated a $250 item to what I thought was a "Door Prize Drawing" only to have the item Raffled off for almost 2 times their retail value. I donated the Scoops cause I wanted to GIVE something back to the Fiero community who had spent their hard earned money on our products. This has been weighing heavily on me for the last 3 years and it is something I needed to get out in the open.

I hope everyone understands my reason for not attending Daytona as a Vendor or as a Fiero Enthusiast.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 09-06-2013).]

JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JimmyS

4666 posts
Member since Apr 2006

Jimmy, you have all the answers, you can answer the questions, since you have attended so many Dytona shows and have been involved with the planning and execution.

And the snide remarks just keep coming.

You should run for political office. Your wonderful at answering questions without actually answering questions.

If I knew the answers I wouldn't be asking the questions.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 09-06-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock