Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Run For The Hills # 18---September 20-22, 2013 (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Run For The Hills # 18---September 20-22, 2013 by fierofool
Started on: 07-03-2013 08:49 PM
Replies: 128 (2474 views)
Last post by: Newbfiero on 09-24-2013 12:21 AM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mark your calendars and arrange time off from work. Make arrangements to put the kids in reform school and the dogs in obedience school. Or you could just bring them along.

Georgia Fiero's trusty scouts are roaming the back hills of Georgia and the far reaches of Northern Alabama and into Southern Tennessee for the best roads we can find to test that new suspension, brake upgrade, or engine swap. It will even give the old stock stuff a little to huff and puff about. I guarantee you, there's going to be a lot of twisting going on.

We will be updating this thread from time to time, so please check back regularly to see what's happening.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would love a road trip..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We will also be doing scouting runs to sort out the mundane and find more exciting paths as we progress. Included in those runs will be trial runs so anyone is welcome to join in on pre-RFTH junkets.

One of the areas is in the Scottsboro, Al to Lynchburg, Tn. area. Just right up in your part of the hills.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-14-2013).]

Formula Owner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

We will also be doing scouting runs to sort out the mundane and find more exciting paths as we progress. Included in those runs will be trial runs so anyone is welcome to join in on pre-RFTH junkets.

One of the areas is in the Scottsboro, Al to Lunchburg, Tn. area. Just right up in your part of the hills.

Hey, that's MY neck of the woods. Let me know when you're doing this scouting run.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love to run it too,
I be checking back for more info
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am 20 min from Lynchburg. I use to work at JD and had thought long ago to put together a trip from nashville to lynchburg. and maybe a tour for those that never been. A corvette club does it couple times a year. there was a viper club there back in early 2000's .. The main roads are pretty straight but a lot of good back roads in the area

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ron768 has already done a scouting run in the Alabama/Tennessee area, but he and probably I, will be doing more. TopNotch is doing a scouting run this weekend out of Blue Ridge, Ga. to check out some road possibilities. It hasn't been determined if the run will be in North Georgia or in Alabama/Tennessee.

You should also check gafiero.org message board>new forum since some non-PFF members may post info there.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man... I really need to get my Fiero back in shape and legal. Maybe I'll cruise out there via some other form of transportation.
Fierfly

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Man... I really need to get my Fiero back in shape and legal. Maybe I'll cruise out there via some other form of transportation.

We've had a Miata, a Lotus Elise, a Bimmer, and I can't recall what else join us on these runs. Google around for pictures. CowsPatoot posts a lot; he drives, I run the camera.

------------------
A good man is hard to find...but a good Fiero mechanic is "rare".

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, we've had Nissan Z's of various numbers, Eclipses, Lexus', Cadillacs, Corvettes, Firebirds, Solstices and Skys and Kia Sportages come along with us. We've talked about inviting the Georgia Triumph Association to come out with us this year. Savet regularly runs his Lotus with us. You know, the one with the suspension designed by Fiero.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierfly:

We've had a Miata, a Lotus Elise, a Bimmer, and I can't recall what else join us on these runs. Google around for pictures. CowsPatoot posts a lot; he drives, I run the camera.

Cool, sounds like a good break-in run for the bike once I get everything fixed up.

Also, did any of the pictures you took of me in Indy turn out alright or did my anti-Barney status hold true?

edit: typos

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 07-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Fierfly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, did any of the pictures you took of me in Indy turn out alright or did my anti-Barney status hold true?

I got a couple truly anti-Barney ones for sure. I think i got a couple decent ones. I will go thru them and send you some.

I finally got a brush thru my hair today. Only took a few hours. Thank you coconut oil!

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any car is welcome... but I'm sure there will be a Fiero with an empty passenger seat too.

We will try to make at least one scouting run...but the distance is going to cause problems this year.
whiteandnerdy27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whiteandnerdy27Send a Private Message to whiteandnerdy27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
agreed. i may only be able to make one scouting run, and i can't say for certain if i can make it to the actual event. won't know til it draws closer... quite a hike.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to clarify, there are two entirely separate venues that are being explored. One is in the Scottsboro, Alabama to Lynchburg, Tennessee area. The other is over in central North Georgia, in the Dahlonega, Dawsonville, Blue Ridge, Helen area.

After scouting runs, the areas will be compared and the best selected for the final event.

Fierfly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alabama makes it sound far away, but in reality, those places are in the general neighborhood of Chattanooga.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tail of the Dragon!!!!!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tail of The Dragon will be done in 2015, on the 20th Anniversary of the RFTH.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Tail of the Dragon!!!!!

?
bw03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bw03Send a Private Message to bw03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

?

A popular place for bikers and cars alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16YnmJN0fc
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

?

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

TAIL OF THE DRAGON AT DEALS GAP, with 318 curves in 11 miles, is America's number one motorcycle and sports car road. The nearby CHEROHALA SKYWAY is quickly becoming number two with its remote 60 miles of scenic mountain highway. The area also has other incredible roads like the MOONSHINER 28, DEVILS TRIANGLE, THE DIAMONDBACK, SIX GAP NORTH GEORGIA, THE SNAKE and GREAT FOREST SERVICE DUAL SPORT RIDING.

Killboy (mentioned in the video above) took these pics on a couple of my trips...

Taken during Run For the Hills in 2003

It's epic. It should be on every gear head's bucket list.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-07-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some years ago, our members elected to do The Dragon only every 3rd year, so as to give RFTH participants a different route each year and to not diminish the novelty of The Dragon. We felt that doing it too often would diminish it's charm and excitement.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12808 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Each year we produce an event tshirt and a set of limited edition event coffee mugs. There are only 10 cups produced, with 6 being raffled and 4 going to the club President, VP, Graphics Designer and the person who submits the selected photo.

We are in need of artwork for this year's event tshirt and coffee mugs. In recent years, my photo library has diminished due to not having a passenger riding with me. Your pics don't have to be of recent RFTH events, but should be of high resolution and good quality.

Here's a chance to drag out all those pictures you've taken over the years. Everyone is invited to contribute,. In order to get graphics onto the art and accept orders, please try to get them to us by Saturday August 3.

Or, if you wish, you can submit your own graphic design. A few examples of past shirts can be seen here: http://spacecoastfieros.com/runs/RFTH/index.htm Background graphics or photo is all that's needed. We will add the event information.

The person who's photo is selected for use will receive one of the limited edition event coffee mugs, and I think the club can also provide you with a free event tshirt. This will be the sole compensation for permission to use your photo.

Since we will not be having a raffle this year, the tshirts and coffee mug raffle will be the only way we will have for raising funds.

Submit your photos or design to GeorgiaFieroClub@Gmail.Com Subject: RFTH 18 Photo Contest

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-08-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There will be a trial run of the proposed Alabama/Tennessee run on Saturday July 20. We will be starting in the Statesboro Scottsboro, Al. area near the intersections of Hwy 72 and 35. Start time is 9AM. Ron768 will post the exact location with information as soon as he determines a good spot.

TopNotch will be traveling over from the Atlanta area on Saturday morning and there may be others, so if you want to drive over with other Fieros, contact TopNotch. There are a number of people from Alabama that want to make the trial run, also, including a couple of Corvettes. Could be interesting. Correction: RFTH trial runs are always interesting.

I will be traveling over on Friday afternoon and will be staying with friends in Huntsville. Anyone wishing to drive over at the same time is welcome to join me. I'm strongly considering the Cartersville, Rome, Fort Payne, Statesboro Scottsboro route to Huntsville, but could be persuaded to go 411 from Cartersville to Gadsden or I-20 to Oxford/Anniston and up 431.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-14-2013).]

Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There will be a trial run of the proposed Alabama/Tennessee run on Saturday July 20. We will be starting in the Statesboro, Al. area near the intersections of Hwy 72 and 35. Start time is 9AM. Ron768 will post the exact location with information as soon as he determines a good spot.

Dang! I have plans for the 20th. Also, I think you mean Scottsboro, AL. I've done that road on my motorcycle, and in my Formula. One word of caution. There are many rolling hills, and a couple of curves that surprise you over some of these hills. Sportbikers like that road.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. Yes, it's Scottsboro, Al. not Statesboro. Corrected all in the above.
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The meeting place for the Scottsboro scouting run will be at the Chevron gas station in front of the Wal-mart off 35 and 72. Turn right off 35 at the Home Depot sign onto the service road and go in front of the car dealerships. Follow it around to the gas station. There are several fast food places if anyone is hungry. See everyone at 9 am Saturday the 20th.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to get my bike ready.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Chevron address is:

Trotters Chevron
24860 John T Reid Parkway
Scottsboro, AL 35768

Skuzzbommer, I don't know if Ron is riding his bike or not. If the weather appears it won't be suitable or you need to drive something else, I'll have an empty passenger seat. If you have one, bring an FRS radio with you.
Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a pretty area to run around int, plus would give people to visit the Fiero Factory up in Toney

------------------

Frank Martin
87 GT
3800 s/c - lowered with Held Motorsports suspension - Suicide Doors by Archie
Custom Paint
Fun To Drive Daily Driver

87 Convertible
Sunshine Car

Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK. Plans have changes. Looks like I may be able to make it. For your enjoyment, here's a 10 minute video by the local sportbike riders club of this run.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...pfs&feature=youtu.be

It covers the start of the run.

Also, I'm curious. Why was Scottsboro chosen as the meeting place? Gurley is closer to the start of the run. That's where the locals from the Huntsville area meet up for this run.
PFF
System Bot
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is just a scouting run. No choice has been made as of yet. We are currently looking at 2 routes, 1 in Alabama and the other in Ga. I am scouting here in Alabama as I am currently working in Huntsville Al.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were some interesting roads, but the only hills I saw were in the background. Hope to see you Saturday.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There were some interesting roads, but the only hills I saw were in the background. Hope to see you Saturday.

That video scares me. If that video is indicative of the entire run, then we are going to have to drive at "arrest me" speeds to push any limits around those curves. Remind me to bring bail money. Wish I could join you Saturday.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greg, that's not a part of the scouting run, that I know of. I've looked at Ron's proposed route and most of it is in the mountains. I believe we will be doing the proposed Georgia run on July 27, and I know it has more ups and downs than some bumps in the road. I think the reference to beginning of the run meant the beginning of that particular run on those bikes. At least that's the way I took it.

From what I've determined from Ron's route, if we hit those kinds of speeds, bail money won't help get anyone out of the morgue.
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Greg, that's not a part of the scouting run, that I know of. I've looked at Ron's proposed route and most of it is in the mountains. I believe we will be doing the proposed Georgia run on July 27, and I know it has more ups and downs than some bumps in the road. I think the reference to beginning of the run meant the beginning of that particular run on those bikes. At least that's the way I took it.

According to this:

We will be starting in the Scottsboro, Al. area near the intersections of Hwy 72 and 35.

We'll be starting the scouting run at the intersection of 72 and 35, which is the same spot that the sportbike ride started in the video I posted. The bikes were going down the highway (72), and turned off onto 35.

From what I've determined from Ron's route, if we hit those kinds of speeds, bail money won't help get anyone out of the morgue.

Which is why I don't ride with those guys. I did it once, and that was enough.
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula Owner

1053 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:
That video scares me. If that video is indicative of the entire run, then we are going to have to drive at "arrest me" speeds to push any limits around those curves. Remind me to bring bail money. Wish I could join you Saturday.

The sportbike guys routinely go at "arrest me" speeds. At one point on the ride I attended, they "unleashed" on a straight, and one of them later admitted to hitting 150. I guess that they're just willing to roll the dice, because I HAVE seen police out there.

The scary thing (at least to me) about those roads is that many of the curves are indeed wide and fast, then a tight one pops up unexpectedly. Further down the road, it DOES get tighter. That first 10 minutes of the run is wider and faster than the later parts.
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula Owner

1053 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by ron768:

The meeting place for the Scottsboro scouting run will be at the Chevron gas station in front of the Wal-mart off 35 and 72. Turn right off 35 at the Home Depot sign onto the service road and go in front of the car dealerships. Follow it around to the gas station. There are several fast food places if anyone is hungry. See everyone at 9 am Saturday the 20th.

Just noticed this. You turn off 72 at the Home Depot sign, not 35.
Malkier

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalkierSend a Private Message to MalkierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will be traveling over on Friday afternoon and will be staying with friends in Huntsville.

Thanks for directing me over to this thread. Saw you will be in town on Friday night. That answers my question from the other thread on where your leaving from. If its not to late at night then maybe meet up somewhere?

As for the scouting near Blue Ridge - I'd suggest Old Hwy 2 and the roads shooting off from it. Born and raised in SE TN and grew up driving all those back roads.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tentative Georgia route will be Hwy 52, Big Creek Road, Newport Road, Aska Road, Old US 76, Hwy 60, Hwy 180, Hwy 384, Hwy 75 Alt. and Hwy 19. There may be others included and some of these may be eliminated, but those are the ones I'm aware of at this time.

I'll be meeting up with Ron around 7PM Friday night. If it fits his schedule, maybe we can do dinner at the Longhorn over on Perimeter Parkway.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock