Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Run For The Hills # 18---September 20-22, 2013 (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Run For The Hills # 18---September 20-22, 2013 by fierofool
Started on: 07-03-2013 08:49 PM
Replies: 128 (2478 views)
Last post by: Newbfiero on 09-24-2013 12:21 AM
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is also a sign on 35, if you are heading east, you turn left, if west, turn right. If you are on 72 heading north, turn right, if south, turn left.
IP: Logged
Formula Owner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After perusing Google maps a bit more, I realize that I may be misunderstanding which roads are going to be used for this run. 35 crosses 72 in two places. One near Gurley, and one near Scottsboro. The intersection near Gurley is the one at the start of the video I posted, and is commonly used by the sportbikers and sports car guys, so I thought that was the one we were using. But 35 also crosses 72 about 1/2 mile from the pre-run meeting place (Chevron). Which one are we using? If we're using the one near Scottsboro, then ignore the video I posted.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like that area of 35 and/or 72 might be used as part of the run, but splitting off onto 65 North, from what I remember of Ron's email.

The meeting place is in Scottsboro. In front of Scottsboro Marketplace near the intersection of Alabama 35/Veterans Drive and US 72.
Malkier

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalkierSend a Private Message to MalkierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
I'll be meeting up with Ron around 7PM Friday night. If it fits his schedule, maybe we can do dinner at the Longhorn over on Perimeter Parkway.

I'll PM you my phone # and email if you do decide to meet up.

Been across through Mentone before - Not a bad drive
Through AL from GA to TN via Highways 117, 40, 35, CR17, CR8, 35, 72, and 65

Playing with Google Maps and here is a couple of ideas. Not sure about the CR 17 and CR8 as there is no street view ... looks to be all paved.

From Chevron to TN line #1

From Chevron to TN line #2
ron768

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See ya'll Friday night.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ron768:

See ya'll Friday night.

That is, those of us who are having dinner together For the rest, especially those from Georgia, remember that Scottsboro, Al. is on the Central Time Zone. Strarting time will be 9AM, Central

Formula Owner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there an estimate of when & where the scouting run will end? The family would like to have an idea of when I'll be heading home.
ron768

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the purpose of the scouting run, to check time and distance. I dont think that we will do anything other than check this items and gas stops. I would think 6 -7 hours may do this. I myself, have nothing planned for the day other than this.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula Owner:

Is there an estimate of when & where the scouting run will end? The family would like to have an idea of when I'll be heading home.

You can always leave the run early and head home if you need to. I imagine that once you get to Lynchburg, you'll have an idea of what the whole run is like. I don't see it being much different after Lynchburg (unless Ron's got some surprises in store).
ron768

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had a great time today on the scouting run. 5 cars with 6 scouts out checking roads and conditions for RFTH #18. Billy and David, it was great to have ya'll along. My navigator , Arron, kept me on course 99% of the time. Pat & Charlie, your feedback is much appreciated and I will see ya'll next Saturday.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ron768:
My navigator , Arron, kept me on course 99% of the time.

It wouldn't be a proper scouting run if there were no wrong turns....at least it sounds like the wrong turn didn't involve multiple states like RFTH 15. Wish I could have joined you. Unfortunately, I am going to miss the GA run this weekend too....going back up to Michigan to bring the convertible home.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ron, the only advice I can give you is that "If we use this for the RFTH 18 run, please remove those trees in the roadway around the blind curves." It was an exciting run, but those just weren't necessary.

Some of the turns might need to be indicated on the route sheet with some form of landmark, if possible, or on the day prior, go out and put up a marker of some kind.

Here's the Gang of Five that burned up the roadways in Alabama and Tennessee.

Left to Right, front row, David Brill, Fiero Owner, Ron768
Second Row, TopNotch
Third Row, Fierofool

ron768

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I'll get the trees out of the way as soon as I figure a way to carry my chain saw on the motorcycle. I have to save some money for gas for next weekend.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have the Alabama scouting run behind us and now we will be doing the Georgia scouting run.

Saturday July 27, we will be meeting in Dahlonega, Ga. at the intersections of Georgia 400 and Georgia 60. As usual, we'll be gassed up and pulling out at 9 AM. We will have route sheets for those who attend. The more who go along with us, with your input, the better we can make these events.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Carol and I might be interested in this run. We were planning on going to PA for one of Pete's runs, but the last I heard his car is broken and he won't be doing anymore runs this year. So that would open us up to coming on down.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A number of the Michigan club used to come down for the run. Lou and Sue Oles usually lead the pack. I haven't seen them in a few years, though.

TopNotch and Ron768 should make a decision between the Alabama/Tennessee or Georgia venue by the end of the month. When that happens, we'll start making arrangements for hotels and the info will be posted here and on the Georgia Fiero forum.

If the Alabama/Tennessee venue is chosen, plans are to tour the Jack Daniels distillery. If the Georgia venue is chosen, we are planning to try arranging a tour of the Bill Elliott racing complex.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe Bob Holtz (Capital City Fiero) is going to attend this year. He is scheduled to pick up one of his cars in Florida and drive it to the run and then back to Michigan. We might have a few others from the Capital City Fiero Club coming too, we will just need to wait and see.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still waiting on parts to fix my bike... I'm definitely going to make it out for a run or two, though. May hoon the Mazda. Wheee
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Mazda is welcome. Come on down this weekend.
Malkier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalkierSend a Private Message to MalkierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was good to meet up with you guys (fierofool and ron768) last Friday night. Sorry I didn't go on the run - took both kids to a couple of car shows on Saturday.

Ron - PM headed your way with my contact info. Like a said, my garage is not big and don't have a ton of tools but your welcome to it. By the way, saw several Indian motorcycles at the Landers show.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

... May hoon the Mazda. Wheee

Originally posted by fierofool:

The Mazda is welcome. Come on down this weekend.

I keep threatening to bring the Miata rebody.
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're going to do another scouting run tomorrow. (What -- you're not tired of driving a Fiero???)
This time we'll explore the Georgia route based in Dahlonega (the site of America's first gold rush).
We'll meet at the gas station were Highway 400/19 runs into Highway 60, at 9 am.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

We're going to do another scouting run tomorrow. (What -- you're not tired of driving a Fiero???)
This time we'll explore the Georgia route based in Dahlonega (the site of America's first gold rush).
We'll meet at the gas station were Highway 400/19 runs into Highway 60, at 9 am.

Hmm... that's a long trip to do in the morning. Unless I were to head down tonight and grab a crappy hotel
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The scouting run was fun. Here's a little sample.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was literally one of the high points of the run. At 4783 feet, it's the highest natural point in Georgia. Brasstown Bald.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The officers have selected North Georgia for this year's Run For The Hills. The route has been modified, removing some of the roads listed above and adding others. The host hotel will be in Dahlonega, Ga. Which hotel isn't known, yet.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tiny town! I would love to go this year for a change. Let's see what happens between now and then.
Fierfly

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Either location had advantages. I would have enjoyed the JD tour, but this location is closer to us. I would be happy regardless of which location the board chose. I look forward to it every year.

------------------
A good man is hard to find...but a good Fiero mechanic is "rare".

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not this year,but definately next year since I will be moving to Georgia within the next 6 to 12 months.I can't wait to get there.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Georgia Fiero Club presents....

The 2013 Run For The Hills #18 will be based in Dahlonega, Georgia, the site of America's first gold rush. Dahlonega is located just past the top end of Georgia Highway 400, where it becomes US19 and crosses Highway 52. Attractions in Dahlonega include a Gold Museum and two gold mines open for tours daily

Event t-shirts can be ordered now. The price is $25 for small-large, $27 for 2XL, and $28 for 3XL. Deadline for orders is September 7, Midnight EST. All shirts will be delivered at the event. Click here to order by Paypal, or send a personal check or USPS money orders to

Georgia Fieros
287 Park Place
Auburn, Ga. 30011

Event hotel:

Days Inn
833 S Chestatee Street
Dahlonega, GA

Reservations: 706-864-2338

When calling to reserve a room, mention the Georgia Fiero Club. The rates with this code is $59.50 per night for a room with a single king bed, or $63.75 for a room with two double beds. These rates are for a two-night stay for one or two occupants. Additional occupants are $7.00 each.
This rate is only valid until August 20th. Sorry, that is the only deal they were willing to make. After that, the rates are $70 and $75.
Note: You can also make reservations at 1-800-DAYSINN, but you can't get the special rates.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 08-11-2013).]

Fierfly

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just saw an ad on tv for Days Inn running a special for 15% off any stay 2 nights or more.
So i guess they are just giving us the same rate advertised on tv. But hey, its not too bad.

http://www.daysinn.com/deal..._stay2_080113_HPhero

Edit...
If you choose this hotel and our dates the advertised rate doesn't work:
"Rate SDI is not available for the dates you requested. But we do have other rates you might be interested in."

So, call, like Pat says.

[This message has been edited by Fierfly (edited 08-07-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Event Tshirts will be delivered at the event. Adult sizes Small thru X Large are $25. XX Large are $27 and XXX Large are $28.

All orders must be received before Midnight, September 13.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 08-12-2013).]

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can order shirts by Paypal here.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our tshirt printer is phasing out the sublimation printed shirts we have been providing for Run For The Hills. He has notified us of his remaining stock. These will be the sizes and quantities available. As orders come in, I will update the available quantities for each size.

I have:

(6) small,
(4) med,
(12) lge,
( 8 ) xl,
(2) 2xl,
and
(7) 3xl
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Updated quantities available:

I have:

(6) small, (4) med,
(11) lge,
( 7 ) xl,
(2) 2xl,
and (7) 3xl

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 08-14-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Afternoon Update:

I have:

(6) small,
(4) med,
(11) lge,
( 7 ) xl,
(1) 2xl,
and (6) 3xl

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
August 15 afternoon update:

I have remaining:

(4) small,
(4) med,
( 8 ) lge,
( 6 ) xl,
(1) 2xl,
and (6) 3xl

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 08-15-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
For those who've never been to a Run For The Hills Event, here's a sample. This is filmed from the lead car of a group of Fieros.

http://www.gafiero.org/rfth13.shtml
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only 4 more days to make your reservations at the discounted rates.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock