30th awards by spirit
Started on: 07-02-2013 09:12 AM
Replies: 69 (2933 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 07-30-2013 05:46 PM
Amethyst

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Pics of cars will be difficult... there was no one assigned to take a shot of each car in the show, and some show winners were gone before the awards were handed out.

I may be wrong on this, but if I recall, they took pictures of each car as it was classified... I ended up in my son's car instead of my hubby's! lol His was in Brownsburg awaiting a diagnosis of a new fuel pump!! Ugh... oh well... He ended up with the Hard Luck Award!! laugh...

Oh, and again, another BIG THANK YOU to Fred for helping us out and getting us a contact (Jerry THANK YOU TOO!) to help us out!! I seriously didn't know you were heading the show!! I just knew who you were! Plus I'd like to apologize to the ones that were with you, I was rude and interrupted all of you! But spending the last 2 - 3 hours on the side of a busy freeway trying to coax a non running fiero to an exit ramp in 95 degree heat with no air conditioning and having not eaten all day tends to take a toll on anyone's manners!!

I hope there's more shows in Indy, it's close to us, so easier for us to get to! Thanks Fred and to everyone who helped put on the event!!

Edited for Page 2 OWNAGE!! Woot Woot!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amethyst (edited 07-13-2013).]

IP: Logged
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amethyst:

I may be wrong on this, but if I recall, they took pictures of each car as it was classified... I ended up in my son's car instead of my hubby's! lol His was in Brownsburg awaiting a diagnosis of a new fuel pump!! Ugh... oh well... He ended up with the Hard Luck Award!! laugh...

Oh, and again, another BIG THANK YOU to Fred for helping us out and getting us a contact (Jerry THANK YOU TOO!) to help us out!! I seriously didn't know you were heading the show!! I just knew who you were! Plus I'd like to apologize to the ones that were with you, I was rude and interrupted all of you! But spending the last 2 - 3 hours on the side of a busy freeway trying to coax a non running fiero to an exit ramp in 95 degree heat with no air conditioning and having not eaten all day tends to take a toll on anyone's manners!!

I hope there's more shows in Indy, it's close to us, so easier for us to get to! Thanks Fred and to everyone who helped put on the event!!

Edited for Page 2 OWNAGE!! Woot Woot!!

LOL... wut? See? I was just a technical assistant for judging... I don't know what the heck was done where.
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car was closed up during judging hours and beyond because I was on the vote tally'ing committee and had no idea what the weather conditions were from behind closed doors. Sometime around 3:00 PM I took a break and walked back out to my car, and was cornered by a judge who had been looking for me all day. He felt my car needed to be judged, so I opened it up so he could complete the modified III class. This impressed me that he actually kept me in the back of his mind as a car that hadn't been judged. This is why I find it hard to believe anyone parked within the showfield was missed.

Fred, on a personal note, the Space Coast crew was honered to be able to help out. Since we organize the Daytona show each year, we can fully appreciate the rigors of what you and your crew went through to pull off a major event like this. Don't let anyone get under your skin, it was a job well done!!

[This message has been edited by rpro (edited 07-14-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred, you have a PM.
TWEETIE BIRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TWEETIE BIRDClick Here to visit TWEETIE BIRD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TWEETIE BIRDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Suggestion: Maybe any winners could send in their own pictures of their cars, their award received, what class and any details about their cars. It seems that this is a major undertaking of this project for one person to do. ------------------

[This message has been edited by TWEETIE BIRD (edited 07-17-2013).]

spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stand corrected. My car was judged. It must have been judged during one of the downpours that we had off and on all day. RAREW66 sent me a copy of my judging sheet and I got a zero on engine and front compartment. This tells me that I had closed the deck lid and front hood. I am sorry that it was closed as these two things are the strong points of my car. The front trunk is upholstered and dressed out and I have been told several times that I have the best looking 4.9 they have seen. I strongly apologize for my statement that my car was not judged. Looks like my low score was MY fault and not the fault of the judges.
Waiting for the 35th as I will be better prepared and just maybe give some others a run for their money. Looking forward to the 35th and hope I have as much fun as I had at the 30th.

Thanks RAREW66 for your help and clearing this up.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Once again, Thank You to the participants and the volunteers. The four days of the 30th were outstanding making the effort put forth well worth the labor, or as many have said, a labor of love.

Fred

You are appreciated by many Fred. Keep that in mind
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Snapperhead:

We brought home a few awards. I want to thank everyone who voted for our car for the people's choice and a big thanks to the judges, I know it's a lot of work.

Kathy and I would also like to thank John Callies for his award, it was a great honor to get this award. When we thanked John for his award at the show he just said.... You dont need to thank me, you got the award because your car is beautiful, you deserved it... Thank you for bringing your car! What a guy...

Class R, Car# 210

3rd place in our class ( 5 awards given for this class )

People's Choice ( 10 given for this award )

John Callies Award ( 10 given for this award )

This is a photo of Kathy and I with John Callies after getting the John Callies Award. We were so happy just like 2 little kids.

This is a photo of our awards. A very proud moment.

Just some of the 30th Memorabilia we collected from the 30th, we have more but can't find them right now.

Congratulations Vince!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Wow nice awards! Some one did a great job on the awards!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I too would love to see a smaller gathering in conjunction with another larger Pontiac event like the Pontiac Nationals or even the Trans Am Nationals to help draw more people and coverage in between the large Fiero only events. These large meets have good press coverage and would help get us noticed better.
But that is a topic for another thread on another day.

Your comment ^^ got me thinking. I am currently unemployed so I have time to think. LOL

I think we should try to do the 35th as a co-show or co- anniversary with another big Pontiac show.
If some in the community don't mind and don't get their nose out of joint, I think this is a great idea to have a "joint show" and I have an idea for it. ,

I'll get to that later if there is enough positive response. I am contacting a person I know that is involved with a Pontiac model club that has put on shows to see what they think about it. Then I will "let the cat out of the bag"

Benefits of a large "Co-Show";

1.) We would have all the Pontiac magazines there for exposure.
2.) We would partner with another club or organization who has hosted LARGE shows in the past. Both entities could draw off the others past experience.
3.) There would be other Pontiac's there so you would draw a larger crowd to come see the cars. i.e. the media
4.) There would be activities for other family members to do. Not all spouses like sitting all day at a show, not all kids like it either.
5.) There would be a bigger budget to work with. You know pool sources together.
6.) Drag racing and solo 2 events could be available, may be a road course if there is one close by.
7.) More people to help with taking pictures, parking, judging, registering etc., running the drag, solo, road course events.
8.) A BIG event would possibly draw some Pontiac engineers, workers, designers, staff
9.) Vendors would have more exposure to potential customers.

And I would present it to the Co-Sponsor that we would want to have our own awards, show area etc??

But the Fiero community would have to agree to work with lets say may be the Firebird people or lets say the GTO people or the old Pontiac people or Grand Prix people etc. you get the picture.

I also question why all the responsibility has to be on the Mid West Fiero clubs?
Why doesn't other Fiero clubs from other areas of this country and Canada step up and help? Cant leave out our great neighbors to the north! After all this is a intentional show for all of of the Fiero addicts. LOL. And seeing as this would be a BIG International show all the Fiero Clubs/groups should step to the window and help!

What y'all think?

Ideas???

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-27-2013).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Your comment ^^ got me thinking. I am currently unemployed so I have time to think. LOL

I think we should try to do the 35th as a co-show or co- anniversary with another big Pontiac show.
If some in the community don't mind and don't get their nose out of joint, I think this is a great idea to have a "joint show" and I have an idea for it. ,

I'll get to that later if there is enough positive response. I am contacting a person I know that is involved with a Pontiac model club that has put on shows to see what they think about it. Then I will "let the cat out of the bag"

Benefits of a large "Co-Show";

1.) We would have all the Pontiac magazines there for exposure.
2.) We would partner with another club or organization who has hosted LARGE shows in the past. Both entities could draw off the others past experience.
3.) There would be other Pontiac's there so you would draw a larger crowd to come see the cars. i.e. the media
4.) There would be activities for other family members to do. Not all spouses like sitting all day at a show, not all kids like it either.
5.) There would be a bigger budget to work with. You know pool sources together.
6.) Drag racing and solo 2 events could be available, may be a road course if there is one close by.
7.) More people to help with taking pictures, parking, judging, registering etc., running the drag, solo, road course events.
8.) A BIG event would possibly draw some Pontiac engineers, workers, designers, staff
9.) Vendors would have more exposure to potential customers.

And I would present it to the Co-Sponsor that we would want to have our own awards, show area etc??

But the Fiero community would have to agree to work with lets say may be the Firebird people or lets say the GTO people or the old Pontiac people or Grand Prix people etc. you get the picture.

I also question why all the responsibility has to be on the Mid West Fiero clubs?
Why doesn't other Fiero clubs from other areas of this country and Canada step up and help? Cant leave out our great neighbors to the north! After all this is a intentional show for all of of the Fiero addicts. LOL. And seeing as this would be a BIG International show all the Fiero Clubs/groups should step to the window and help!

What y'all think?

Ideas???

I would recommend that if anyone wanted to try this to contact the folks at the Pontiac Tri Power Nationals in Norwalk Oho.

They have this event every year for 22 years. It draws 600 Show Pontiacs and 600 Race Pontiacs. It is a 3 day event with all sorts of racing and many special Pontiacs there every year. It also has one of the largest Pontiac swap meets even with Fiero parts. I found a DOHC head for SD 4 there one year.

The event now host a Firehawk show with in a show. They do their own classes and judging there and also have awards for the Pontiac show too.

My thought is even if you did not want to do this as a 35Th and 40Th show this would make a good place for someone to do a yearly show and not have to deal with all the crap that you have to deal with to put on a stand alone show. The biggest thing is the awards and the judging for the show with in the show out side of that the event would take care of where you hold it and what there is to do, along with the food etc.

The show is very Fiero Friendly. In the 14 plus years I have been there they have always treated us well and the people at the shows always have kind things to day. So many GTO owners come by and tell us they used to own a Fiero or always wanted to own one. The Fieros have always done well in the Fiero classes and open and custom classes. Many have taken a top 5 award at the even over the years against many good cars.

I feel that a club could still do the stand alone deal every 5 years but this deal could be a yearly get together. When the Cleveland Fieros had a show in a show we used to get 30-40 Fiero's back then just from Ohio with little advertising.

I just see an opportunity for a club to do something here and have some of the burden lifted. The show gets national coverage every year and is advertised on several web sites and in print. They also do mail flyers and note the inner shows.

The show is coming up in August and if anyone just wants to see what it is all about come over for one of the days. You will not be out anything as the show is worth it to see if you are any kind of Pontiac fan.

Check it out http://www.pontiacnationals.com/

Note too if you can show that you can bring in 100 plus cars to the event I am sure they will bend over backwards to help if you can show the real numbers you can draw.

GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What y'all think?

Ideas???

To defend the "other Fiero Clubs" A club from Canada set up and managed the 30th Website, and a club from Texas was a great help in parking lot oganization. Also a large part of that problem is simple logistics. It would be alot to expect of say, club members in California or Florida, to have to make 3-6 trips to Detroit or Indy to help plan the event.
In the MWFC we have kind of a unique situation where there are a lot of very dedicated people in a relatively close area (and close to the places that these events have occured which made it way less painful for the members to plan.
But, all that being said, The MWFC would, I'm sure, welcome and accept any and all volunteer help offered.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTMN:

To defend the "other Fiero Clubs" A club from Canada set up and managed the 30th Website, and a club from Texas was a great help in parking lot oganization. Also a large part of that problem is simple logistics. It would be alot to expect of say, club members in California or Florida, to have to make 3-6 trips to Detroit or Indy to help plan the event.
In the MWFC we have kind of a unique situation where there are a lot of very dedicated people in a relatively close area (and close to the places that these events have occured which made it way less painful for the members to plan.
But, all that being said, The MWFC would, I'm sure, welcome and accept any and all volunteer help offered.

That is the big difficulty with these shows as you can plan but till everyone shows up the local group or main club is the one responsible to handle everything. It turns the show into a major work load for them.

Also in many cases people have to make a major investment to secure property, insurance and other expenditures on their own.

I think many who go to these show really do not understand what all has to go into making a large show work. I was part of a group that put on a show that would attract around 1000 cars every year. I saw what all it took and how many people it demanded to make everything good for those who came. I would have loved to enjoyed the event but never could. I am glad I did it and today when I see people working a show like this I really appreciate what all they do and all the work it takes.

I just would love to see a good yearly event that would fill in between the larger single shows where many Fiero people can come once a year. I also would like to see one where it does not need a bunch of people stuck doing the extra year long work of setting it up each year or spending the money to put it together.

This was just a thought to take advantage of a larger show to help support a yearly event. Carlyle is kind of like that now but it is a little too east for some folks.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is the big difficulty with these shows as you can plan but till everyone shows up the local group or main club is the one responsible to handle everything. It turns the show into a major work load for them.

Also in many cases people have to make a major investment to secure property, insurance and other expenditures on their own.

I think many who go to these show really do not understand what all has to go into making a large show work. I was part of a group that put on a show that would attract around 1000 cars every year. I saw what all it took and how many people it demanded to make everything good for those who came. I would have loved to enjoyed the event but never could. I am glad I did it and today when I see people working a show like this I really appreciate what all they do and all the work it takes.

I just would love to see a good yearly event that would fill in between the larger single shows where many Fiero people can come once a year. I also would like to see one where it does not need a bunch of people stuck doing the extra year long work of setting it up each year or spending the money to put it together.

This was just a thought to take advantage of a larger show to help support a yearly event. Carlyle is kind of like that now but it is a little too east for some folks.

You are correct with your evaluation of the "problems" involved with a show. When FOCOA put on their annual show, the local Fiero car clubs did a lot of the work. I have been involved with the Daytona Spring show. Fortunately there is one person who has been doing it for many years and getting support from others is always the problem. Tieing in the Fiero show with the Spring Turkey Run, has worked in the past. The Spring show, although new management took over for 2013, was disappointng on their end. The Daytona track is a big venue. and has lots of stuff to do with nearby beaches and many restaurants. Trying to find a central location will always be an issue.

The Power Tour runs through the midwest as that is the most central from east coast and west coast. I would suggest that all the complainers put together a show for the rest of the Fiero community.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's the thing though... as you just pointed out there already is Carlyle, there's the Car Craft Nationals in MN, there are big open shows all over the country that Fiero owners participate in every year. The 5 year shows have been there to bring just the Fiero owners together once in a while. As you said, a structured annual national car show is going to be a large load to whomever is located at the epicenter.

As Jeff said, within the Midwest Fiero Clubs we try to spread it around, and reach out to other willing clubs, but someone inevitably gets stuck with the least fun (grownup businesslike ) tasks and it causes a lot of stress. This is one of the main reasons why after the 20th, we have only done national shows every 5 years. Here in the Midwest, we have annual local shows that our group regularly attends back and forth, such as Fierorama(IL), the Dells Run(WI), Heartland Fieros show(IA), etc... I for one could not afford to traverse the country every year to go to a car show and it would also drop participation in local shows that would normally pull from the states immediately surrounding them, the economy is just not the same as it was back in the 90s and early 00s.

We were sincerely concerned that the 25th in 2008 had been the last hurrah as people started to be really affected by job loss, housing issues, higher energy costs and lack of 'fun' money. Fred fought and fought with IMS to get that event to an affordable, heck even doable, level. We warned the hotel that if they price gouged us for concessions that Fiero owners would but just as happy to not patronize the stands. We offered things à la carte to avoid pricing people out of the show. Suddenly we were looking at participation levels close to the 25th and we were genuinely surprised! Not everything went as planned and we had a larger vision for events than what occurred, but I, for one, don't think I'll forget the rematch race at the kart track, or being on the track at Indy, trying to keep event tents from blowing away in the howling rain during classification, working with our guest judges(GTO/Hotrod club) and seeing their interest grow as they moved from car to car.

That being said, if you got a need to try something new, go for it! That's the only way it happens and it could be the next big thing, or perhaps just a one time event. Just remember to try to have fun doing it. Killing yourself to develop an event and not having it go the way you want can really destroy a good feeling, so do it because you love it...

Wheatstock 2004
Osage Beach 2005

As far as the show results go, I am trying to get my hands on them, but they're currently lost in the corn somewhere.

------------------

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 07-29-2013).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I said is it was a thought.

I am only thinking of the past when the Fiero show was a yearly deal and still brought in good numbers. We never had to wait 5 years.

My thought was only to combine it with a large Pontiac only event to help make it easier and cheaper overall and to give the ability to have it yearly. You still can have one big show every 5 years somewhere.

My other thought is if we show up to the other Pontiac shows in numbers as good or greater than many of the other Pontiacs it would do more to enhance our image in the Pontiac collectors field. So many complain they get snubbed or the Fiero gets ignored but when you only have a hand full of cars at an event you can't expect them to roll out the red carpet. Same with press coverage. With them though you have to generally go where they are and they are at the large events gathering stories for the year.

With the economy getting tighter and tighter the need to merge and form partnerships will become more important in the future not only for the Fiero but other makes. Even the POCI and GTOAA merged this year in Dayton Ohio and we will see more of this.

Anyway it was just an idea and something to think about to help ease the load on the local clubs and a way to make this a event that could be like it used to be yearly.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:
The Power Tour runs through the midwest as that is the most central from east coast and west coast. I would suggest that all the complainers put together a show for the rest of the Fiero community.

We try not to take it as complaining... but there has been more to the location of these shows than convenience or centering. Believe me, Indy was anything but convenient, particularly the IMS. How many, I wonder, knew that Fred was finally provided the final contract to be signed for the event while we were all hanging out and drinking beer at the hotel the day before we went out?

The other aspect of it is that Michigan is where the Fiero was created and the Michigan guys took it upon themselves to spearhead the 20th and 25th. The with the demolition of the Fiero plant, and the fact that the 20th/25th anniversary shows had both been in the same location, as well as GM not really wanting (~$12,000 to get a single car from the heritage museum for the show) to participate in a relatively small enthusiast community, focus was moved to Fiero racing. Nothing has been more celebrated by Pontiac than the fact that the Fiero was the official 1984 Indy Pace Car and that brought Indianapolis to the front of our minds during the planning.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carbon

4767 posts
Member since Apr 2004

All I said is it was a thought.

I am only thinking of the past when the Fiero show was a yearly deal and still brought in good numbers. We never had to wait 5 years.

My thought was only to combine it with a large Pontiac only event to help make it easier and cheaper overall and to give the ability to have it yearly. You still can have one big show every 5 years somewhere.

My other thought is if we show up to the other Pontiac shows in numbers as good or greater than many of the other Pontiacs it would do more to enhance our image in the Pontiac collectors field. So many complain they get snubbed or the Fiero gets ignored but when you only have a hand full of cars at an event you can't expect them to roll out the red carpet. Same with press coverage. With them though you have to generally go where they are and they are at the large events gathering stories for the year.

I hear ya... but there were a couple hundred thousand Fieros on the road back in the early/mid 90s to pull from. And it seems that while there are a few hard core Pontiac folks concerned with POCI acceptance, the majority of Fiero owners didn't come of age with that group and don't worry about it much or don't want to pay annual dues to a national organization when they already dislike paying for their local club. You can blame the internet for that. What's the point of a newsletter or maybe, to a lesser extent, tech sessions when you can watch a youtube video or check facebook or the forum.

The only way to find out if the annual national show formula will work for the Fiero community is for someone to do it... find a show you want to take part in and organize/promote it! (that is the general 'you' not just hyperv6 )

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking of the 5 year event as time goes quickly when working on this type of event. Finding a partner (which I am pursuing) and planing as a show with in a show. There are no Fiero clubs in West Michigan( were I live) so I was thinking more along the lines of seeing if clubs around the nation would assist at a 5 year event. I was not thinking of a physical meeting but more via phone and email. It may not work? Location is also important. I think if it can be held in the center of the country then more participants are more likely to try to attend. Doing it yearly would cut back on attendance as some "save up" for the 5 year shows and plan it as a vacation.

Hyperv6 wants a yearly show and that would definitely require a partnership along the lines that he is thinking.

Another suggestion I heard from Fieromaster88 is having a show at museum or some place similar. He mentioned the Corvair club had a show at the
Red Barns and the host hotel was a few miles away, the drag strip was a ways away and the road coarse was a distance. Doing some thing like that might make the show go easier as far as parking the cars and not having the hotel getting complaints that guests(non Fiero) could not find a place to park.

Just some ideas

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-29-2013).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am thinking of the 5 year event as time goes quickly when working on this type of event. Finding a partner (which I am pursuing) and planing as a show with in a show. There are no Fiero clubs in West Michigan( were I live) so I was thinking more along the lines of seeing if clubs around the nation would assist at a 5 year event. I was not thinking of a physical meeting but more via phone and email. It may not work? Location is also important. I think if it can be held in the center of the country then more participants are more likely to try to attend. Doing it yearly would cut back on attendance as some "save up" for the 5 year shows and plan it as a vacation.

I am not sure where you are headed with that paragraph... are you are looking to set up the 35th show? If so, I would get in touch with Fred(RAREW66) and get the binders of info from the previous shows, with vendor/sponsor contacts and local club contacts.

We didn't just meet physically, we had email and phone calls as well. No one wants to teleconference that long. We meet up as an organization with a few members from each club in one physical location as the Midwest Fiero Clubs once a year, regardless of 5 year events. Just to hammer out details or promote each other's events, share in marketing costs, etc... Could it all be done electronically? Sure. Would it be nearly as fun or develop as solid of a relationship with real people? No. It's hard to kick back, have a beer, and take jabs at each other via email. Never neglect the power of direct, personal dialogue. When the Michigan club ran the 20th and 25th, they also got help from other local clubs around the region, no man is an island as they say.

Another suggestion I heard from Fieromaster88 is having a show at museum or some place similar. He mentioned the Corvair club had a show at the
Red Barns and the host hotel was a few miles away, the drag strip was a ways away and the road coarse was a distance. Doing some thing like that might make the show go easier as far as parking the cars and not having the hotel getting complaints that guests(non Fiero) could not find a place to park.

Just some ideas

The GM Heritage Museum? Go for it! I would love to visit there... just not next year, please.

For how important people seem to think track events are, we tried to include a real autocross racing event that R Runner took the time to line up, and only had four people sign up. And for some reason, no one wanted to front the $2500 it would cost to let 4-8 people race or pay ~$300/car...

And as far as I know, the hotel didn't get many complaints from non-Fiero guests about parking. We were much less intrusive than some of the other automotive events held at that hotel, we didn't even use the second lot for much else than trailer parking. The reason parking was difficult is that the architect of the whole controlled parking scheme had to drop out early on in the planning and the rest of us never really grasped the amount of complexity that was involved with that original plan. Our bad. The Texas boys did a fine job shoring that up on Saturday morning.

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The GM Heritage Museum? Go for it! I would love to visit there... just not next year, please.

For how important people seem to think track events are, we tried to include a real autocross racing event that R Runner took the time to line up, and only had four people sign up. And for some reason, no one wanted to front the $2500 it would cost to let 4-8 people race or pay ~$300/car...

And as far as I know, the hotel didn't get many complaints from non-Fiero guests about parking. We were much less intrusive than some of the other automotive events held at that hotel, we didn't even use the second lot for much else than trailer parking. The reason parking was difficult is that the architect of the whole controlled parking scheme had to drop out early on in the planning and the rest of us never really grasped the amount of complexity that was involved with that original plan. Our bad. The Texas boys did a fine job shoring that up on Saturday morning.

No I am not looking to do the 35th. I just as I have stated given some ideas of how we could do a yearly event with a lot less work like they used to do. They could still do the big 5 year show but for those who like to get together more than once every five years the having a show in a large show would give us an option and a much higher profile in the Pontiac collectors network.

So may complain that the Pontiac people don't include us as much as we like or we lack press coverage. It is because many never go to Pontiac meets that do treat them well.

I will be at Norwalk next week and for years many of us have pleaded for Fieros to show up. years ago we used to get 30 now we are luck to get 12 out of 600 cars. It is sad. If people would show up we could get more classes and more exposure and good will from the Pontiac community.

Again like I stated it is just an idea. Norwalk is right in the middle of the largest concentrations of Fieros in the country and would be less than a few hours drive for most. They put on a great even market it and bring in the press. There is something to do all day and it is never boring. It works out for around 100 Firehawks every year and I think the Fiero's could do a nice event like they do in the show.

If anyone wants to see this event show up next weekend and have a good time.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is Norwalk?
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If anyone wants to see this event show up next weekend and have a good time.

But see? This invitation is buried in a thread called 30th awards... That's all I'm sayin...
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Where is Norwalk?

North central Ohio.

I would venture that drawing a dozen Fieros to an event there isn't doing too shabby. We probably won't get more than that next weekend at a similar all-Pontiac show (Cruisin Tigers "Indian Uprising") despite it being within a half hour or less of about nine million people. Its the nature of how things are.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

North central Ohio.

I would venture that drawing a dozen Fieros to an event there isn't doing too shabby. We probably won't get more than that next weekend at a similar all-Pontiac show (Cruisin Tigers "Indian Uprising") despite it being within a half hour or less of about nine million people. Its the nature of how things are.

That is my point. We need to get more Fiero's to Pontiac shows that will support us. Norwalk is one that will.

The nature is that Fiero people have isolated themselves then complain we do not get enough attention. I have been at this a long time and I know some Pontiac groups snubbed and some still do but there are many that do not and I think we can take advantage of that.

Hell they had more than 12 Fieros in the rain here at a root beer stand in Orrville Ohio.

It is hard to get anyone to understand Norwalk unless they have been there. I have done the POCI deals and other national events and this one is prime to make a yearly get together for the Fiero's with little investment and fuss.

I guess you just have to have been there to really understand.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How many, I wonder, knew that Fred was finally provided the final contract to be signed for the event while we were all hanging out and drinking beer at the hotel the day before we went out?

Considering I heard that from Fred himself the night of, I would. And it didn't surprise me a bit, either. Having an event group run a track is a huge thing when you take into account the staff that needs to be present, insurance requirements, etc...

I wish I could've gone to IMS but I was driving a Japanese car (would feel weird for me) and I spent the night before drinking and hanging out with folks until like 4 or 5am

It was a great show, though, and I was very much glad to finally put some faces with the names and personalities I've had the opportunity to get to know on here over the last several years. I'll have to do better planning on my own part to get an actual Fiero to the next one.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6
I will be at Norwalk next week and for years many of us have pleaded for Fieros to show up. years ago we used to get 30 now we are luck to get 12 out of 600 cars. It is sad. If people would show up we could get more classes and more exposure and good will from the Pontiac community.

I've been to the Pontiac show at Norwalk, it's a fairly big event for Pontiacs in general from what I remember. It's been at least 8 years since I was there last, so can't speak to recent shows. They had a great swap meet with lots of people selling/buying parts, they had a seperate Fiero section when I was there too. Seems like the now disbanded Cleveland Fiero Club used to be directly involved with putting the Fiero part of it together.

Norwalk used to just be a drag strip, which it still is, but it has expanded considerably since those days. I used to run my 57' Chevy there waaaay back in the late 60's. It was about an hour and half or so from where I grew up in Lorain. Now it's about 2 1/2-3 hours from me as I'm now in SE Ohio in Marietta. Not all that easy for me to get away from home anymore, but I wouldn't mind attending the Norwalk event, if there were going to be enough others there. Exactly what is going on there that you are talking about being next week, and exactly when is it going to be?

HAGO!

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:
Considering I heard that from Fred himself the night of, I would. And it didn't surprise me a bit, either. Having an event group run a track is a huge thing when you take into account the staff that needs to be present, insurance requirements, etc...

Yeah... just about a month or two before the show, when people were asking me for details and I couldn't give them... it looked like it was possible that it wouldn't happen, at all, because a group of farm implement enthusiasts wanted the infield for their show. Apparently they changed date or backed out. IMS was a rollercoaster to deal with, it wasn't really the logistics, it was the management. At one point they wanted around $25,000 for the event , and then $2500 , and then it wasn't going to happen at all because of tractors and then the final deal was signed on Thursday. It is a huge thing, but they are IMS, it wasn't their first rodeo, as it were... they know how to manage these things. Edit: When they want to.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 07-30-2013).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hyperv6

I've been to the Pontiac show at Norwalk, it's a fairly big event for Pontiacs in general from what I remember. It's been at least 8 years since I was there last, so can't speak to recent shows. They had a great swap meet with lots of people selling/buying parts, they had a seperate Fiero section when I was there too. Seems like the now disbanded Cleveland Fiero Club used to be directly involved with putting the Fiero part of it together.

Norwalk used to just be a drag strip, which it still is, but it has expanded considerably since those days. I used to run my 57' Chevy there waaaay back in the late 60's. It was about an hour and half or so from where I grew up in Lorain. Now it's about 2 1/2-3 hours from me as I'm now in SE Ohio in Marietta. Not all that easy for me to get away from home anymore, but I wouldn't mind attending the Norwalk event, if there were going to be enough others there. Exactly what is going on there that you are talking about being next week, and exactly when is it going to be?

HAGO!
[/QUOTE]

The Cleveland club was doing the show in the show deal at Norwalk but now the Fiero's just part together.

The Event this week is the Trip Power Nationals with over 1200 Pontiacs on site. This has been the largest gather of Pontiacs for years. The show this weekend is Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

http://pontiacnationals.com/

If you have not been there for a while it has really changed. It went from a nice track to one of the best drag strips in the country. Since the NHRA coming in and Summit Naming Rights the track has expanded and improved all areas. They still have the pound of Ice Cream for a Dollar deal too.

Right now I will be there on Sunday depending on the weather. I have been going there for years and made a lot of friends there and enjoy seeing them.

I just feel sad that we do not get more Fiero's there where it would really stand out.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock