Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Chop top widebody mera project. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Chop top widebody mera project. by Custom2M4
Started on: 01-25-2013 03:44 PM
Replies: 264 (17364 views)
Last post by: 355Fiero on 09-26-2020 04:19 PM
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not building one, but I was hoping that the title would inspire someone to do so. Let's discuss.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fund the project and I will build it. Lets discuss.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a job for Whod.e..a… Oh never mind!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In due time...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 01-25-2013).]

boostedbird

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet baby Jesus that's ridiculous!
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

I'm not building one, but I was hoping that the title would inspire someone to do so. Let's discuss.

Do it just to piss them off. Now that's the spirit! j/k
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ITALGT

994 posts
Member since Jan 2002
...more food for thought:

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 01-25-2013).]

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was well on my way to building a 288GTO from the 308 project I have been working on for a couple years now.. I just ended up keeping the 308 as I want to drive one of my projects at some point and cutting it up to do the 288GTO would just add years to build.

The 308 Konieg retains stock wheelbase on the Fiero but the 288GTO would require a 3" stretch the same as the 355 replica rebodies.

If I were to start on another 308 type project, I would be doing the 288GTO for sure as they're just dead sexy in my opinion.

I am looking forward to seeing your Konieg come to life Bob.

I also just talked to a guy that bought the old Feger 308 moulds so those panels may end up showing up on a project soon.

Cheers
Don
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
308:

288:

Don, you and I think alike.

Bob
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tasteful, modern, deep dish wheels really make the older model ferrari look fresh again.
PFF
System Bot
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-01-2016).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did someone mention the 512BB?

Bob
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-01-2016).]

Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't just post something with that title and then not have the build thread!
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Big Paul:

You can't just post something with that title and then not have the build thread!

Feel free to use this thread as your build thread!

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

These rear flares and rockers look very much like what would come out of a set of molds that were included in the group Doug from Fierowarehouse bought in Barrie Ontario last fall. The seller said they made a German designed after market kit to fit the Mera look-a-likes. Haven't pulled any parts out of them yet, but my suspicion is that they will make these flares and rockers, or at least something very close to them. Guess we won't find out till next summer when we get the molds moved and maybe pull a couple parts.

Anyway ya go, this car has great lines! JMHO...........

HAGO!

[This message has been edited by Sage (edited 01-30-2013).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

These rear flares and rockers look very much like what would come out of a set of molds that were included in the group Doug from Fierowarehouse bought in Barrie Ontario last fall. The seller said they made a German designed after market kit to fit the 308/328. Haven't pulled any parts out of them yet, but my suspicion is that they will make these flares and rockers, or at least something very close to them. Guess we won't find out till next summer when we get the molds moved and maybe pull a couple parts.

Anyway ya go, this car has great lines! JMHO...........

HAGO!

That's interesting info, Sage. It may save me a lot of work. I'm definitely interested in more info when it becomes available.

Bob
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are not chop tops right? I love chop tops, always have, on almost all cars, but this car looks gorgeous without chopping.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of these are kits... they're all real Ferraris... so no, none of them are chop tops.
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
amore!! classico!!

love. reality!!

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seriously, you know it's a problem when people start using rear Ferrari or 1/20 scale Ferrari in a thread were no Mera's are posted. Major failure right there.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Seriously, you know it's a problem when people start using rear Ferrari or 1/20 scale Ferrari in a thread were no Mera's are posted. Major failure right there.

No offense Curl, but I'm not sure where the failure is you speak about... the last time I checked in, this thread was about discussing a chop-top/wide-body MERA project. If you know somebody that's already done this, then maybe you could enlighten us??? I'm not aware of anyone doing so, let alone ever seen a picture of one.

The pictures, to me anyway, are simply for reference/discussion/inspiration only... at least they give us an idea as to what an actual chop-top/wide-body Mera "might" look like proportionately. To be honest, I think we really need someone that's good with the ol' Photoshoppin' skills that can work with actual Mera pictures (chop the top, for example)... then maybe we can get an even better idea what it might look like.

I for one dig the whole idea...

Let's see the discussion continue....

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 01-28-2013).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Borrowing from Batousai666,

My idea is to chop the Fiero about 1", leaning the roof down and providing a shallower angle for the c-pillar. I also plan on removing most of the b-pillar to gain a functional window and open the cabin a bit. As for the flares, the 308 rebody is already wider than the Fiero, but, the fenders can be brought out to the wheel-well lip, similar to the 288, or really wide, like the other 308 images.

Madcurl...whatever...

Bb
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me, the idea of the adino is there, but it really is in need of a stretch.

If the fiero warehouse offered those widebody panels, I might be persuaded to do this project. My findings are that the aftermarket Ferrari 328 widebody comes to a few thousand dollars for those panels alone.

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 01-28-2013).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITALGT:

No offense Curl, but I'm not sure where the failure is you speak about... the last time I checked in, this thread was about discussing a chop-top/wide-body MERA project. If you know somebody that's already done this, then maybe you could enlighten us??? I'm not aware of anyone doing so, let alone ever seen a picture of one.

The pictures, to me anyway, are simply for reference/discussion/inspiration only... at least they give us an idea as to what an actual chop-top/wide-body Mera "might" look like proportionately. To be honest, I think we really need someone that's good with the ol' Photoshoppin' skills that can work with actual Mera pictures (chop the top, for example)... then maybe we can get an even better idea what it might look like.

I for one dig the whole idea...

Let's see the discussion continue....

No offense taken. I'm just stating what comes first-the actual car and from there you can imagine what it might become. The only other option is what we've already seen countless times-photoshops.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

So, use the actual car and then photosphop from that point, because visually the real cars posted here are far better visually "as-is" and to chop them might be over-kill.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only failure here was the inability to communicate any sort of point in understandable English.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bloozberry

7760 posts
Member since Jan 2009

I'm just stating what comes first-the actual car and from there you can imagine what it might become. The only other option is what we've already seen countless times-photoshops.
So, use the actual car and then photosphop from that point, because visually the real cars posted here are far better visually "as-is" and to chop them might be over-kill.

I don't think anybody here was talking about chopping the Ferrari designs any further. The discussion is about chopping a Fiero and giving it a widebody to get the look of any number of the cars posted above.
007DOUG

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 007DOUGSend a Private Message to 007DOUGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sage and I (along with my father) traveled in October to bring back kitcar moulds.The moulds were abandoned

These moulds produce kitcar bodies that appear to some folks to as 308 and 328 body lines. To our pleasant surprise there was an interior mould and this add-on widebody kit that appears to have the body lines of the car show in pictures above.

Blueprint of the finished kitcar with widebody kit.

and the real deal

In the distant future Fiero Warehouse will offer the 308, 328, and add-on widebody kit. All the parts we produce from these moulds (including the widebody parts) should also fit the Mera.

As the title of this thread ask "Choptop widebody mera"? We can cover the mera and widebody. The choptop will be upto V8Archie .First Sage and I must figure out these moulds,then clean/repair, then build a kit for ourselves
------------------
3 Indys, 1 is an A/C delete

"Time is the most precious and perishable of my possessions."

Buy IRM, again! at www.fierowarehouse.com

[This message has been edited by 007DOUG (edited 01-31-2013).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I don't think anybody here was talking about chopping the Ferrari designs any further. The discussion is about chopping a Fiero and giving it a widebody to get the look of any number of the cars posted above.

Maybe somebody should use your Mera for photoshopping. .
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fair enough and i doo love to bragg

say hello to my Mera X!! most likely Mera #7002 to be exact. 3rd one made.
even Rodney DickMan himself cant say anything to the contary.... he actually almost proves it.

score!!! sight un-seen off E-Bay!! can ya dig it!??
by all means chop away!

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 01-29-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009
i got tons of pics....

In the distant future Fiero Warehouse will offer the 308, 328, and add-on widebody kit. All the parts we produce from these moulds (including the widebody parts) should also fit the Mera.

but i also see a future :situation: with the Mera guy, whats his name" The Batousai" if "Mera Kits", are made ;(
Maybe a tell tale....difference ;} i like the one piece rear, would you guys be thinking about doing that anyway?
you know, for easy of production and to keep cost down??

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 01-29-2013).]

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, having separate sail panel and rear clip is easier to pull from molds. I had a set of 328 molds that had separate sail panel and rear clip and I imagine it would have been a very complicated mold to have both put together and molded in order to pull the mold pieces away to allow for pulling. I know the sail panel was a simple two piece mold and the rear clip was a four piece mold. The rear clip was fairly complicated to pull the piece out due to the complex curves at the rear tail panel. The rest popped right out.

I would recommend leaving separate. Also allows for easier cutting the sail panel piece if you really wanted to set up the rear section to look more like a 308/328 where a portion of the sail panel lifts with the engine lid and pivots at the top of the rear window.

Cheers
Don
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It would also make the kit more modular for those that might want to try their hand at a convertible 308.

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originally posted by 355Fiero:

Actually, having separate sail panel and rear clip is easier to pull from molds. I had a set of 328 molds that had separate sail panel and rear clip and I imagine it would have been a very complicated mold to have both put together and molded in order to pull the mold pieces away to allow for pulling. I know the sail panel was a simple two piece mold and the rear clip was a four piece mold. The rear clip was fairly complicated to pull the piece out due to the complex curves at the rear tail panel. The rest popped right out.

I would recommend leaving separate. Also allows for easier cutting the sail panel piece if you really wanted to set up the rear section to look more like a 308/328 where a portion of the sail panel lifts with the engine lid and pivots at the top of the rear window.

^This....

HAGO!

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 007DOUG:

I should get serious about making reproduction Mera tail lights.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

stickboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickboySend a Private Message to stickboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

wow!!!
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

In due time...

Bob

Droo ool

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That car is so low it couldn't go across our rail road tracks to get from one side of town to the other...LOL. These are all really nice looking cars. double drool.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’d be very careful about advertising the reproduction of “308-328” kits. Why invite the legal staff of Ferrari to your door. Perhaps if you were producing” Mera Modification Kits” without any mention or use of 308 /328 that are tied to the Ferrari group there would be less chance of legal problems. Let’s face it, that’s why those molds have not seen the light of day for so long.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock