Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Chop top widebody mera project. (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Chop top widebody mera project. by Custom2M4
Started on: 01-25-2013 03:44 PM
Replies: 264 (17363 views)
Last post by: 355Fiero on 09-26-2020 04:19 PM
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
heres more angles.....if needed
Ferrari Track Day is comming up here real quick too. June 1st and 2nd. sooooo cant wait
sooo many lovelys....2 years ago there was a SuperLeggera Lamborghini and rumor has it that guy bought an Aventador.
boom baby!! i hope he brings that monster this year

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 03-04-2013).]

IP: Logged
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by batousai666:

any way you could do one of these with the original Mera rear end. i like the lower, but that upper is killing, maybe its just cuz it my Mera used

also at GingerMan RaceWay here in MI i got to witness this beauty.....its got them lower scoops, as mentioned above.
I thought maybe you guys could use a new template/angle

So you want the lower diffuser, but the stock MERA tail light panel? What about the reverse lamps and license plate??

Thanks for the other pics. It looks like another vote for the lower NACA vent, similar to the 512BB.

How about some nice clear hi-res pics of your car? I need to use a MERA or kit to make it "look" right.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 03-04-2013).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by batousai666:

Except for the open roof, that's pretty much what I want to build...Now if I could just finish the chassis.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
More fun...

NACA vent:

430 Vent:

Bob
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2013 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

So you want the lower diffuser, but the stock MERA tail light panel? What about the reverse lamps and license plate??
and yes to the reverse lamps...thats what makes the Mera stand aside nthe real 308

Thanks for the other pics. It looks like another vote for the lower NACA vent, similar to the 512BB.

How about some nice clear hi-res pics of your car? I need to use a MERA or kit to make it "look" right.

Bob

yes....i like the 308 rear end better than any other Ferrari cept maybe the F-40

as far as high res Mera X pics.....well let me see. like these, maybe??

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 03-05-2013).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the pics. MeraX looks great.

You know, with all the work that's required to build a replica/rebody, the thing I fear the most is whether I could get the body low enough to fill the wheel gap. Is it even possible, without dropping the chassis on the ground?

Bob
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You know, with all the work that's required to build a replica/rebody, the thing I fear the most is whether I could get the body low enough to fill the wheel gap. Is it even possible, without dropping the chassis on the ground?

Bob

ohhh yeah alls you need is 1in lowering springs or what have you...i believe Rodneys has been lowered.
maybe he has a few snaps you could get good luck

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 03-06-2013).]

85SEnochie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll drop it down about 2" prob.

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's quite an improvement.

Bob
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's quite an improvement.

Bob

How about this?

------------------

LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i like the gfx but prefer the stock roofline but do a gtb qtr sail window with a hint of embellished rear tail/oem spoiler. not the fiero one but the 308 one just a bit bigger.
PFF
System Bot
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LEEEZARD:

i like the gfx but prefer the stock roofline but do a gtb qtr sail window with a hint of embellished rear tail/oem spoiler. not the fiero one but the 308 one just a bit bigger.

Something like this?

------------------

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

430 Vent:

Bob

Bump, because I want to send out a down payment so bad...

Bob
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please tell me that you're bringing that to fiero fest.. I've never seen a mera in person before..

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Please tell me that you're bringing that to fiero fest.. I've never seen a mera in person before..

Sorry, but for now, they are all photoshop's....

Bob
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:
How about this?

It's a nice photoshop, but when you start looking at it closely, the proportions are deceiving. I hope you take my following criticism constructively because that is the way it is intended. The problem is that you've added, say, 2" or more of extra width to the rocker panels, but through optical trickery, that extra width isn't followed through to the top of the wheel arches on the front and rear fenders. You've blended the extra width from the bottom into a standard width at the top.

To illustrate what I'm saying, just look at the little up-turned piece at the front edge of the rocker panel (just behind the front wheel). The bottom of the door is clearly sunken in by the amount that you've widened the lower part of the rocker. Something happens at the belt line though... the extra width suddenly disappears from that point upwards, since the door is then flush with the fender from that point up. The same thing happens at the rear where the extra width magically disappears right above the belt line.

There are two different body width approaches used in the same photo that (at least in my mind) you can't meld. You have to decide whether you're going to simply flare the fenders, or widen the whole body. Your image shows a combination of flared fenders below the belt line, and a widened body above it.

Here's an example of a car with standard width body and flared fenders... it's not pretty in my opinion because it makes the rear wheel arches into tubes:

To get the look that RCR wants, the entire body would have to be widened like it is on the F355 replicas. The F355's are widened a whopping 6" by having a 1.5" horizontal sill that runs the entire length of the car at the height of the door tops, and body panels that bulge a further 1.5" outboard below that, per side. That's the sort of thing you'd need in order to get the depth of the F360 scoop shown in RCR's last post, otherwise you would need to cut into the door's sheet metal. That would be OK if you didn't mind having windows that would roll only halfway down, but I don't think most people would settle for that compromise.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bloozberry

7760 posts
Member since Jan 2009
Here's another (unconventional) example of how one Ferrari owner decided to widen the back end of his car for wider tires, without widening the whole body. Somewhat unconventional.

It does illustrate how the lines (especially around the scoop) wouldn't flow well even if he had tapered the rear body to meet flush with the standard width doors. I guess what I'm trying to point out is that you probably have to take an all-or-nothing approach to widening a 308 kit, unless you like the look of simple fender flares.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blooze, I understand what you're saying, but where there's a will, there's a way. I just need the body kit to play with.

Besides, a 288 is already flared...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-23-2013).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

It's a nice photoshop, but when you start looking at it closely, the proportions are deceiving. I hope you take my following criticism constructively because that is the way it is intended. The problem is that you've added, say, 2" or more of extra width to the rocker panels, but through optical trickery, that extra width isn't followed through to the top of the wheel arches on the front and rear fenders. You've blended the extra width from the bottom into a standard width at the top.

To illustrate what I'm saying, just look at the little up-turned piece at the front edge of the rocker panel (just behind the front wheel). The bottom of the door is clearly sunken in by the amount that you've widened the lower part of the rocker. Something happens at the belt line though... the extra width suddenly disappears from that point upwards, since the door is then flush with the fender from that point up. The same thing happens at the rear where the extra width magically disappears right above the belt line.

There are two different body width approaches used in the same photo that (at least in my mind) you can't meld. You have to decide whether you're going to simply flare the fenders, or widen the whole body. Your image shows a combination of flared fenders below the belt line, and a widened body above it.

Here's an example of a car with standard width body and flared fenders... it's not pretty in my opinion because it makes the rear wheel arches into tubes:

To get the look that RCR wants, the entire body would have to be widened like it is on the F355 replicas. The F355's are widened a whopping 6" by having a 1.5" horizontal sill that runs the entire length of the car at the height of the door tops, and body panels that bulge a further 1.5" outboard below that, per side. That's the sort of thing you'd need in order to get the depth of the F360 scoop shown in RCR's last post, otherwise you would need to cut into the door's sheet metal. That would be OK if you didn't mind having windows that would roll only halfway down, but I don't think most people would settle for that compromise.

No worries I get what you are saying with this pic yes I used some optical trickery to blend the Idea with a lot less work on the photo to get it to look less photo shopped and some times I don't have the time to spend on them to get it completely accurate. I hope that it still inspires you to do some of the things that we talk about and photo shop

------------------

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Blooze, I understand what you're saying, but where there's a will, there's a way. I just need the body kit to play with.

Bob

Drool.....Ferrari 288.....Drool......I think it moved. LOL Damn that is one of the best looking Ferrari's ever made. Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob

Here is a 288 GTO super flared

I had to try and make it wingless and straightened the top of the door line I like it better wingless

------------------

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 06-24-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In case the image insert didnt work. click here

this is a car I drooled over as a kid. Man I would love to see this. Seems like there is a back seat though.
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking I should take this one from the track so I took some vents off

------------------

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 06-24-2013).]

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read Bloozberry's reply and I agree the pchop used some wider rockers but you can still get a pretty good effect similar to this pic by dropping the rear and front quarters pretty much straight down from the body line. May not give you the full widened effect but it will still match up to the body lines.

I like the looks of this example of some customizing to the classic Mera lines. The 288GTO, however, is still my all time favorite Ferrari shape.

Good luck
Don

Something like this?

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Maybe a little better?

------------------

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump (to test sig)

------------------

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Does anyone have a side mera picture without the deck lid or with the deck lid up? I'm curious what it looks like with the hips removed.

Ask and you shall receive. If you want different/more photos let me know what they are and I will see if I can help out.

Nelson
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hnthomps

5729 posts
Member since Jul 2003

More fun...

NACA vent:

430 Vent:

Bob

I have a vehicle that is mechanically and electrically sound that you could start with. It is a 1988 Mera and currently sports a fuel injected 383 power plant. Let me know when you are ready to get started.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 11-25-2013).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx Nelson...

Updated picture...

Bob
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanx Nelson...

Updated picture...

Bob

Looking good

------------------

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanx Nelson...

Updated picture...

Bob

Thanx 85SEnotchie, it's too cold in the garage to work so I thought I'd play around on the couch watching football ....

FWIW, the first two hurdles have been passed: a large check is coming in February and the wife has green lighted the project. This thing may become a reality after all...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 12-19-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's excellent news Bob... gotta get the wife onboard or else the project won't be anywhere near as fun.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was thinking I should take this one from the track so I took some vents off

Who else wants one of these???

85SEnochie, can you take out that little wing thing, fill in the deck Where the wing thing is, and remove the slider in the side glass?

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 12-22-2013).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't you have to stretch the wheelbase a little to get the right look?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

Wouldn't you have to stretch the wheelbase a little to get the right look?

Not sure which one you're referring too.

308/328 : no stretch
288/355 : 3" stretch

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Who else wants one of these???

85SEnochie, can you take out that little wing thing, fill in the deck Where the wing thing is, and remove the slider in the side glass?

Joe

How's this?

Bob
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How's this?

Bob

Ok, looks like PIP is back up. Well I got to see it last night.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout, at this point about all that's missing are a diffuser and some bigger wheels and tires to fill the wheelwells better, hint hint. Thanks Bob.

What does everybody think about the idea of the 328's small ducktail spoiler on it???

I'm getting the drive back to do something really cool, and this version of the 288 is the direction I want to go.

Joe.

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 12-24-2013).]

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to the build diary Joe.

Cheers
Don
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

Looking forward to the build diary Joe.

Cheers
Don

Thanks, I haven't been in the mood to do something special for some time, it's time I got over it.

Do you still have the tooling to do an extended windshield tray, this wont look right with the Fiero glass.

Joe
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small update. Anymore is out of my league...

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock