Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Long Time Fiero Owners- how many years have you had the bug? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Long Time Fiero Owners- how many years have you had the bug? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 11-29-2012 04:34 PM
Replies: 121 (2785 views)
Last post by: Bob2112 on 12-05-2015 02:07 AM
FTF Engineering

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still lurking after all these years.

Some more old names from the early years of the Fiero Mailing list... Doug Chase, Michael W. Smith (MWS), Mike Valentine, Joe Magee?

Bruce (FTF Engineering)
IP: Logged
formulaWA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2012 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since 1979 when it was announced GM was looking into a 2 seat mid engine sports car. I was down to the dealership in 83 to take one for a drive as soon as they came in.
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brought my Fiero in July 2001, which was my first and only Fiero, its the longest I have owned a single car, and at this point I cant forsee ever selling it, roll on the next 10+ years

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mafv8:

Brought my Fiero in July 2001, which was my first and only Fiero, its the longest I have owned a single car, and at this point I cant forsee ever selling it, roll on the next 10+ years

My first Fiero was also the longest I have ever owned any one car. 96-2003.
2fiero2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2fiero2Send a Private Message to 2fiero2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
27 years and still going!!! My first was in the summer of 1986, took over payments of my sisters 85. Then in March 1988 bought my Formula that I still have today. Also just recently bought the Fiero I always wanted a 85 DGP IMSA with the Centerline wheels.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first Fiero was an 85 GT that I bought new in 85. (First new car ever.)

I traded it for a Firebird Formula in 88. (Strangely enough, two weeks before they announced the end of the Fiero program.)

Rectified the situation in 97 when I bought my 88 coupe. (In the background of the pic.)

Have had at least one Fiero ever since.

My present car started out as a black Formula

This is how it looks now.

wd8ivl

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wd8ivlSend a Private Message to wd8ivlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since 1988 - when I bought my Blue '87 coupe brand new, which I still have.
AuNROD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AuNRODSend a Private Message to AuNRODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had the 'bug' since 1984, when I bought my '84. Got it later in the year so I could get a silver one. Still have it - still orig.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the bug in 1983 when the Fiero first came out, but it would take until 2001 before I actually owned one.

In between, I had scale models, toys, and pictures of Fieros everywhere. Somewhere around 1999 or 2000 I came upon V8Archie's page and I dreamed about a V8 Fiero, then I saw the choptop and knew I had to have one. It took me a while, but I did achieve my goal.

------------------

88 GT T-Top, 88 Fastback Chop-top (Archie #14), 1984 Indy

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FTF Engineering:

Some more old names from the early years of the Fiero Mailing list... Doug Chase, Michael W. Smith (MWS), Mike Valentine, Joe Magee?

Bruce (FTF Engineering)

I remember the mailing list.....good times. I never did the digest thing, so I continually got e-mails throughout the day whenever someone posted something. It was fun, but when I discovered PFF I made the switch (can't actually remember unsubscribing from the list though).

As far as Fiero bugs go......I "discovered" the Fiero when the fastback debuted in '86 A kid in my highschool had a brand new '87 GT (was jealous!) and when I read about GM killing the Fiero off in March 1988 I knew I had to have an '88 GT (I obsessed about it in class). It wasn't until April 1990 that I finally got one. I bought it with 25K miles and put another 90K miles on it before it was broadsided and totalled in December 1994.

Since then I've had more than 60 of them. I currently have a non-running '86 SE and I'm working on another '88 GT as we speak!

So I've been plagued with Fieroitis for almost 27 years (~23 years of actual ownership).
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had the Fiero bug since I was 15 back in 2001. I was looking for a first car and my dad and I were checking local newspaper listings and found a couple Fieros listed. My dad caught the bug before I did and was set on the idea of me buying a Fiero. We looked at a couple of 4 banger project cars that came with piles of parts and decided that was a little too involved for my first car. Finally we saw an 85 SE with a v6 for sale which appeared to be in good shape, although at the time we had no idea where to check for rust on a Fiero. I had my heart set on a fastback GT but my dad told me i should settle for the bumperpad SE. I drive and loved that car for a long time, put a lot of money and a lot of new parts on her, but later found out the frame was rusted out, and just last month sent her to the junkyard after stripping it.

I stumbled onto Pennocks when I moved away for college and finally got Internet access in 2004. I was shocked to see how many people were into them, and the awesome crazy modifications people have done. I lurked around the forum for a while reading and reading and searching and finally decided I had to officially join the madness.

At some point in the mid 2000's my dad started talking to a guy in the grocery store parking lot that had a fairly rough looking 86GT. The guy had just moved to town to live with his sister and needed to buy a truck for work. He was originally planning to fix up his GT but couldn't afford to keep it. So we exchanged info and he agreed to give us first crack at it when he found a truck to buy. A month or so later I was the proud owner of an 86GT with 190,000 miles.

When I found out about the 85's frame rot I found my 87GT and stripped everything from the 85 to use between my 86 and 87. I now currently still have the 86GT which is my project car, and my 87GT that I use as a daily driver in the fair weather months and still a project. Haha.

------------------

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 12-01-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
7-8 years.

------------------

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since 1999.
fiero67

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't know what a Fiero was until I totaled my car in 95 and was roaming around looking for something to buy with the insurance money. I pulled over when I saw my first one... took it for a test drive but it was beat and he wanted $1500 for it... told him Id "think" about it. Found another one in the newspaper for half the price.... paid cash and "tried" to drive it home.... finally got it home and soon ... more followed! I have 7 now! I just cant stop!

------------------

Project88GT build up thread

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only 10 years. Same car, '84. It must be devotion (madness) to work on the same car for 10 years and I've only put less than 200 miles on it.

Bob
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel like a New B - but in late 1984 I went to the Pontiac Dealership in Pocatello Idaho with cash in hand to buy a brand new Fiero. They were "sold out" - Could have ordered an 85 GT but I was an impatient guy with cash in hand and wanted one right now! I ended up with an 84 Chevy 4X4 truck that gave me nothing but problems! Swore I would never buy another "new" GM product! Fast forward to 2006 - when I got my first Fiero. An 86 SE - bought it for my son to drive to high school - he blew it up in a matter of a few months where it languished in my garage for a few more months. That's when I stumbled upon PFF and found the answers to a lot of questions from all the brave folks that had owned and manitained Fiero's for years. I've had 5 of my own since and currently looking for the 6th. It's not just the car that keeps me chasing after a Fiero - it's the folks that own them. I've owned and built a lot of cars over the last 35 years - none have given me as much fun as the Fiero. So I'd like to say a big Thank You to all the "Pioneer's" out there who strive to build thier own version of the perfect Fiero. Without you and PFF, I would have most likely scrapped that 86 SE back in 2006.

Pat
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bruce (FTF Engineering)

Mike Valentine is still with us. He's MrFiero on this forum.
As for yourself IIRC you purchased your Fiero new and then sold it. You haven't been the same since!
All kidding aside Bruce the 30th anniversay show is next year. Stlll time to buy another Fiero and join in the fun. BTW what happened to Randy Agee? Like the other guys you mention he appears to have drifted away from the hobby.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis,

Mike V. beat you to it... He posted a few spots above.

Yes, I bought my Formula new and sold it just a few years ago, and I still wonder if it was the right thing to do. I cruise the mall here and my local Craigslist maybe once a week just to see what's out there. I don't think I would have to resort to buying a Fiero off a stranger though... There are plenty of current owners that would be more than happy to help me get one back in my hands! Haha! And come to think of it, you're not the first person to mention the 30th...

I kept in close contact with Randy for quite a few years, but I haven't seem him in a while. Kids for me, grandkids for him, houses, jobs, travel... The usual. Last time we got together, he still had his red Formula, but he didn't seem to drive it as much as he used to though. Maybe it was me though... Last time I was there, I was driving my 300ZX.

Speaking of 300ZX's, MWS is into 300ZX's. He shows up on the TT,net forum. I never spent much time there, and have since sold my 300ZX, but we did cross paths over there as well.
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FTF Engineering

710 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by mrfiero:
I remember the mailing list.....good times.

Yes, good times. I was subscribed through my email at work, and was on the digest version. If I was getting every individual message as soon as it hit the server, I would never have gotten any work done! That mailing list was the first time I had contact with a group of people who were as serious about thier cars as I was. Some had more skills than others, but everyone there was truly interested.

Some of my memories from the mailing list?

Scott Backer (or was it Sketch) having a part number for everything. Instantly.
Mike V. having a part for sale for everything. Instantly
Long discussions between Dennis and the V8 crowd.
Peter Friese pouring gear oil all over his head.
Dave Rodabaugh adding a voice of true engineering to us bunch of hacks.
Me and OIiver reverse engineering stuff.
Doug Chase and his racing prowess.
Jazzman getting kicked off the list for talking about a hurricane.
John, um... John something...? Shoot... It'll come to me later. He's the 88 database guy here now. (John, If you're reading this, please, please forgive me...) John was like the peacemaker.
Hours and hours spent on two of my favorite automotive myths... Running without a thermostat, and backpressure is a good thing.

-Bruce at FTF Engineering.

"No matter how sense it makes, never assume I know what I'm talking about?" Haha!! Something like that?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ah the good old days, Peter Zürich and the Fiero.org mailing list, which is where I got to meet most of my Fiero friends, and yes I do remember the old IRC Fiero Chat Room, what ever happened to people like Pendragon and such.

I got my first Fiero in 94 when I was 17, and held onto that car for 15 years, when I eventually had to part it out as it had close to 300,000 miles on the chaise and was on its 4th motor. I gutted the car and rebuilt it on the new 87 Chaise.

My 85GT that I got when I was 17 was a V6 auto, then got changed to a 2.9 V6 4spd, then to a V8 5spd, (with a few stock V6 motors before the 2.9). I spun the car into a ditch about a year after I got it, no real damage, but about 10 years after driving it, I did T-Bone a Honda at 30mph which the car survived really well and was rebuilt then a year later had a similar T-Bone into a Chevy Citation and again rebuilt it, swore up and down I would never let the insurance company total the car and I never did, but after seeing all the minor cracks in the frame and eventually the front shock mount falling off the car, I chose to tear it down.

I have been on Fiero lists for years back when it was Fiero.org and E-Groups and Archie's Tech Net. I am now on the fiero@yahoogroups list, the cadero@yahoogroups, the fieroracinglist@yahoogroups and all the local Northwest Fiero Club email lists, as well as our local Fiero Forum www.westcoastfieros.com/forum

A lot has changed in the Fiero world over the last 15 years, the clubs that were around in the 90's the members have aged and some even closed up, it seems as though when the cars were cheap enough for younger kids with engery and time to play with the cars the clubs were great and a ton of fun, but now the cars are becoming more expensive to buy, own, operate the younger generation is not the primary owners anymore. I myself started West Coast Fiero's when I was 22 had just met my at the time Girlfriend and we spent 90% of our time on Fiero stuff. We did at least 1 long Fiero Road Trip each year, and even took our Honeymoon in a Fiero from Canada to Vegas and Back. I taught her to drive in a Fiero and eventually bought her a Fiero, then ended up getting her a V8 Fiero and a V6 Fiero, and I had a V8 Fiero and a V6 Fiero, with several parts cars mixed in. Now, we have 2 kids, very little time, we sold off her V8 5spd Fiero and all the parts cars, leaving me with my 88GT that's parked, my V8 that's in the shop and her V6 Fiero that gets a temp permit once a year for the local All Pontiac Show. We spend most of our time driving the Grand Prix GTP or the Chevy Blazer. The club that I started is struggling with my lack of time, and lack of younger members wanting to dedicate their time, don't get me started about health, LOL, I spent last club meeting in the hospital (pneumonia) and the meeting before that I was in Oregon dealing with my fathers estate.

Its sad to say the Fiero owners are getting older and the Fiero's are not getting any younger. Many of both have faded away, and some are long and buried.

I'd love to hear more about some of the long lost members and where they went.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remembered the 88 DB guy's (John W.) last name. I'm not sure he ever used it online though, so I'm not gonna blow his cover. Be assured though John, that I did remember.

A couple more...

Anyone remember that ADHD kid Todd something with his rambling disjointed messages of mayhem? (He's here on the forum, but I'm not gonna blow his cover here either.) He would start off asking some kind of Fiero related question, but would end up going so far off course that it was funny!

"So I was working on my Fiero trying to figure out why my gas mileage sucked when I went to this heavy metal concert with my buddy. So we're at this concert and he shouts, "Hey man, that's a nice tattoo" at some dude, and next thing we know, we're outside mixing it up. Just like when we were in line at some store behind this chick with a tattoo on her butt. My cousin thought he knew her, and........"

He did it all the time.

Anyone remember Randy Agee's "Fiero Stories"? I surely don't remember all of them, but I do remember one of them where there were very high speeds involved. I also remember the article documenting the error at Pontiac leading to the escape of at least two prototype "Formula Fastback" cars from the factory.
PFF
System Bot
Drychel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrychelSend a Private Message to DrychelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
original owner 1986.5 GT 37K bought in 1986 just to it out of storage again.
26 years

------------------
19861/2 Fiero GT Red-38Koriginal
Don Rychel

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Lisa I have a Fiero and I see you have one too! Beep

I miss those times.
Remember the gwen stefani thread. I think it broke the forum a couple of times.

Who remembers the curse? The Rat?
deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since at least 1985...the first time I sat in one (a grey 4 cyl. manual 2M4).

After nearly 15 years of daily driving, I still look at the car and wonder how much longer this can last.

It could go on for quite a while.

------------------

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some other names that I recall from the old Fierolist@fiero.org mailing list:

Mark Corbin (publisher of the Fiero spotters guide)
Curt Martin
Lee Brown
Tom Corey - early 3800 swap
David Cole - ( completed one of the earliest 3800 swaps with a 94 Bonneville series1 engine)
Ludis Langens (one of the premier hackers of the Fiero ECM back in the day) He was a master at disassembling code and had numerous programming tips.
Jukka Alve
Fiero Joe
The Tin Man (the man with the memorable name)
Alan Ritter ( a hiker and adventurer w a love of Fieros)
Lawrence Mazza (web electric products.)
Ray Paulk (The Fiero Toy Box-model Fieros)
Jason Wenglikowski
John White ( the originator of the hidden antenna using the sunroof frame)
Joe Wynman (Associated Auto) He was closely allied with FOCOA for a while, was a proponent of the Longitudinal V8 swap, promoted Gary Zumalts V8 kits and was the leading critic of V8 Archies work.
............and who could forget the famous Fiero Online Service Guide.

IMO many of the above people owned a Fiero for everyday driving. The brand was only 10--15 years old back then so many Fieros were still on the road. As the cars got older the hotrodders moved on, some new enthusiasts came into the hobby, some got married and raised a family, and many daily drivers sold their Fieros and/or junked them. A few may still be with us on this forum.
Looking back to 1997 when I joined the hobby; it is interesting to note how the Fiero hobby has changed. Those were fun times and there were more active Fiero owners. I guess that todays Fiero owner now prides himself/herself on driving, and in many cases modifying a cult classic.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 12-04-2012).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I came on the Fiero scene early enough to have seen the Archie Tech List, but it was already seldom used by that time.

Remember F.O.L.D.? The Fiero OnLine Database. I thought it was a very cool thing, but people didn't keep their info updated.

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow... SO much of this takes me back. I was a longtime lurker. I was on the old email digests. Got my first Fiero in an AOL chatroom. A guy was selling it, and I made an offer. He started jacking the price up because "someone else is interested." The other person bidding turned out to be my girlfriend (at the time) who thought she'd buy me a fiero. Nothing like bidding against yourself. That being said, I got it, I overpaid, and later traded it to Doug at Fiero Warehouse for an 87 GT Frame. I still have that car. I remember a lot of longtime FIero folks. I remember calling the Fiero Factory and having Ed Parks answer the phone from the toilet... He told me he'd write up the order as soon as he got out of the john but he just had to answer the phone!.... I remember needing a fuel rail feed line and Capt. Fiero (who didnt know me) sending it to me (for free) because he was a good guy- even came in a box with a FIERO font for the name/address. I think I paid him back with a Spotters Guide. I remember almost buying a T-top car from Mike Valentine, and when Jeremy was (just) the Tech over at fiero Factory (versus owner)- and when i was excited to see J-Scotts car in person- since his posts gave me the "balls: to cut in my own t-tops.. I remember when Rodney D had what a couple of products, verus the stable he has now, and when Dennis sold turbo kits (of which I had).I remember Denny Patton and his Fiberglass noses/scoops I spent so many years involved in Fieros. My basement and garage still are full. Once I got married, and we had a child, and life happened, it just dwindled. I still have two, but am going to go down to one. I never got stranded in my 87 Fiero. It never once broke down on me unless it was safely in my driveway. Good times though- I still come back here because I liked the people. This forum never compared to the other car forums- the people here were far better (even if some argued a bit). Like I said, I lurked, not too sure many people would remember me, but I lived off reading this forum for years and years.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I came on the Fiero scene early enough to have seen the Archie Tech List, but it was already seldom used by that time.

Remember F.O.L.D.? The Fiero Online Database. I thought it was a very cool thing, but people didn't keep their info updated.

It was actually, Fiero Owners Location Database. I loved that and it even helped me locate several of the key founding members of West Coast Fiero's when I started it.

There was even a Canadian version of the FOLD, but only lasted a few years, once internet privacy concerns and spam from posting your email got really nuts, both FOLD's went away. I think Jelly2M8 had a hand in the FOLD.

As to the Fiero Online Service Guide I might still have a copy of that on some old web server drive. We were hosting it for some time but were asked to remove it due to copyright concerns. Which to this day still bothers me, as we were not selling it or charging, we were just mirroring it. If there are no copies of it left online I can try and dig it back up, so long as the people that worked on it don't care if it comes back.

Does anyone remember who ran the FOLD. Would be kind of neat if we could get that back. As it wasn't just a service to find members, but also had that section for Emergency Contacts. So if you were on a road trip and broke down, you could look up the area you were in and find another Fiero owner that could help you out.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1992, old FOCOA member when only about 5-7 in Texas. Turned 62 this year by doing a 4.9L - 4T60-E conversion. Next... Nitrous.

DARKWING
aka, Mike Parker

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mike V. having a part for sale for everything. Instanly

Heh.....I lived at the junkyards back then and really enjoyed pulling stuff off of the wrecks. Back then EVERY junkyard had at least 4 or 5 Fieros.....I'm lucky now if I find a single Fiero in one! I still sell stuff, just not nearly as much as I used to.

Anyone remember that ADHD kid Todd something with his rambling disjointed messages of mayhem?

Yes. Yes I do! I remember thinking back then that this kid has no clue about much of anything (sorry Todd!). You were very entertaining to read though.

Originally posted by smartaxel:

I remember almost buying a T-top car from Mike Valentine

Really?! I don't remember that at all. Do you remember what Fiero it was (Formula, etc)? Just curious.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2012 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Does anyone remember who ran the FOLD.

To redeem myself for forgetting what the acronym stood for, I found the answer to this.
Actually, I can't take the credit for this either. I asked Eric, aka boomtastic.
He says it was Jason Wenglikowski.
Here is the verification of that (at the bottom of that page).

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 12-05-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

Really?! I don't remember that at all. Do you remember what Fiero it was (Formula, etc)? Just curious.

I believeit was a silver nochie. I'd called Ed Parks looking for a T-top car or setup and he didnt have any in my pricerange. I believe he directed me to you, and you sent me postal mail pics of it. I think it was at like a sister's house or something, and that was why they sent real pics in the mail. I still think I have them in a box at home actually.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 84 13 or 14 years ago. still have it. The first digital picture I have of it was one a insurance adjuster took for me, with a new camera that used a 3.5 floppy. I have had as many as 12 at a time. Now i am down to 4. Need to get a new home for 3 of them. over the years i have had, in the car, running, the 2.5,3.0, 3.8sfi, 355 sbc V8, 305 crossfire v8, 357sbc V8.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

I believeit was a silver nochie. I'd called Ed Parks looking for a T-top car or setup and he didnt have any in my pricerange. I believe he directed me to you, and you sent me postal mail pics of it. I think it was at like a sister's house or something, and that was why they sent real pics in the mail. I still think I have them in a box at home actually.

Ah yes.....it was an '85 4-cyl. SE that I bought from the original owners back in '97 or '98. I completely forgot that I sent pics of it to anyone! I sold it to someone back east who was going to make an Indy clone out of it.......no idea if that ever happened or not.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...I also remember the article documenting the error at Pontiac leading to the escape of at least two prototype "Formula Fastback" cars from the factory.

I was turned on to that story, way after the fact. Didn't realize that Randy was writing fiction.
I asked, on this Forum, a couple of times, if anyone was familiar with these cars.

Apparently, there was a measure of truth to the story.
I was able to take possession of one of them. (See sig.)

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know the funny thing about looking back only 12-15 years ago, we had people that contributed so much to the hobby , that were full of enthusiasm and then suddenly disappeared from it. Guys like Matt Hawkins (who built a killer 3.4 TDC Fiero), Jon Lagler ( who built just about anything), Jason Wenglikowski (who built the FOLD database) , Peter Zurich (who published the Fiero List), Mark Corbin ( Fiero Spotter guide publisher), Ludis Langens (the ECM guru) , Keith Huff ( Fiero Shop) , Randy Agee (his stories were in many Fiero newsletters and publications) and the list goes on. I guess that as some people get older their interests change, they raise a family get tired of wrenching, just plain get tired or just don't like the online thing. As for myself, I don't believe that I will ever sell my Fieros. Where else could I find a classic car that with yearly improvemnts always drives and performs like new.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My copy of the Fiero spotters guide grew legs at a club meeting, if Mark Corbin is still around, I wonder if he has any left in a box in storage. Even if he has the PDF or whatever file format he used. Laser Printers are so common now a days, I wonder if he would make it available for download some place. (assuming he no longer had interest in printing and selling them)

Anyone got contact info for Mark?

------------------

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I was turned on to that story, way after the fact. Didn't realize that Randy was writing fiction.

I never said it was fiction. I said it was a story.

Here's a pic of the first Formula Fastback known to exist:

And here's the second one:

Seems that there were more than just two that got away?
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been into Fieros since I ordered an 84SE in October of 1983. I took delivery of the car in February, 1984, and I've had one ever since that time. I was a member of the "Worldwide Fiero Club", which sent out a newsletter titled "Fiero News". A fellow by the name of Matt Gruber was the writer of the newsletter. I still have a number of them stashed in a file folder........
I kept my red 84SE and bought a black 84 with a blown motor in 1992. I then proceeded to combine the best parts off of both cars and ended up with a nearly fully optioned car. I bought an 88GT in 2000 and gave the 84 to a friend. I took the 88 completely apart and rebuilt it in 2001-02. I still have it and it's a blast to drive.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1987 Porsche 944S
1985 Porsche 944
1966 Porsche 911
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane-at the airport, nearly ready to fly

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:
sent out a newsletter titled "Fiero News".

I thought Gruber's thing was "Fiero Secrets"?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock