Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  eBay Fiero Turbo Kit, wish me luck. (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
eBay Fiero Turbo Kit, wish me luck. by JCircs
Started on: 09-09-2012 06:31 PM
Replies: 191 (18260 views)
Last post by: JCircs on 02-10-2014 10:06 AM
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85red2m6:

Bump for updates?

For the last two weeks I've been battling mother nature here in New Jersey but hopefully I can get her out this weekend for some data logging and have the tune finished up. The setup looks great and sounds great and I've even gotten a little taste of boost while checking the replacement wastegate that was sent after the original proved to be faulty.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 11-08-2012).]

IP: Logged
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

For the last two weeks I've been battling mother nature here in New Jersey but hopefully I can get her out this weekend for some data logging and have the tune finished up. The setup looks great and sounds great and I've even gotten a little taste of boost while checking the replacement wastegate that was sent after the original proved to be faulty.

I hope you fared well against Sandy. Yes, please keep us posted.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a ride over to see Dennis LaGrua today, we went for a quick ride before he made some minor adjustments to the tuned chip he originally had programmed for me, and it feels perfect. Car feels as smooth as it was before the turbo was installed, the idle is smooth again and the throttle response is also nice. I'm sure Dennis will want to fine tune a bit but I think it's perfect the way it is. Keeping the boost safely under 6lbs I feel the power and I like it, the turbo sounds sick almost like a jet engine from inside the car and it has a nice steady pull when accelerating. I would definitely reccomend Rick at boosted exhaust, he is a man of his word and did everything he said he would however the kit did need some adjustments, I think the issues I've encountered with his kit will be fixed on future kits. I would highly reccomend NOT using the rubber oil lines that come standerd with this kit, either upgrade with Rick or buy your own but DON'T use the rubber lines, I learned the hard way and it almost cost me my Fiero. "The bottom line" if you can install it yourself and don't need the bells and whistles you can add a nice boost for under $1200 complete. I on the other hand was only able to do so much on my own and needed to spend a few bucks to have exhaust bungs and pipes welded also paid to have the oil pan bung welded in place, add in the wideband and boost gauge, braided oil lines along with a few other things I'm in around $2500 give or take a few bucks. Its been an experience for sure but well worth it, I've learned a lot over thhe last few weeks and in the end I think my Fiero now has that little extra kick in the ass I was looking for. Thanks to Dennis LaGrua and Ryan (Convictedredneck) for all the tips and everyone else who has posted in this thread and helped along the way, I could have never almost burned my Fiero into a pile of melted plastic without you LOL.... "Project complete"

------------------

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087461.html

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! Very good write up and install, have fun!

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project now tearing up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels, suspension and more! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw Jerrys turbo installation today and it looks neat. It appears that the kit uses decent quality parts and they work. IMO, the seller of the kits has put together a competitively priced kit that many 3.4L swap owners can justify purchasing. In view of Jerrys experience , as the kit is refined, subsequent turbo installs on 2.8/3.2/3/4L P/R engines will undoubtedy be easier. As for the chip program; the baseline used was what I had done on my turbo 3.4L program about 10 years back., adjusting for the 17 lb injectors and slightly higher compression. The GM C3/OBD1 ECM programming format is not as user friendly as OBDII but we hopefully got Jerry close to where he needs to be.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on completing the setup!!

Thanks to boostedexhaust for offering a kit for the Fiero. Its too bad he didn't market it better when he first introduced himself and was laughed off the forum, seems like a decent setup. Good to hear he does right by his customers too
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think one of his biggest pitfalls was claiming that no tuning was required for his kit. That really made it difficult to take the guy seriously.

OP, glad to see you got it up and going. I'm curious to see what numbers it makes.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Project complete"

?You are kidding right?
LOL
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

?You are kidding right?
LOL

Sorry, I meant to say Project NEVER Complete ..LOL
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
video!!! please?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I think one of his biggest pitfalls was claiming that no tuning was required for his kit. That really made it difficult to take the guy seriously.

OP, glad to see you got it up and going. I'm curious to see what numbers it makes.

Must agree that this seller of this Fiero turbo kit was hard to take seriously as he didn't do all of his homework beforehand. The reports on him though is that he is honest, reputable and willing to work with you. The major flaws in the kit were the fit and the oil lines to the turbo that broke loose. Jerry adjusted the fit, replaced the lines with steel braided hose and they are now holding. Just goes to show that you can be a good fabricator and plumb a turbo on just about anything but the fine points and the tuning are critical areas.. Offering a kit for a universal install is just about impossible as many guys modify their engines and each tuning job represents a separate challenge in itself. That is why tuners end up getting the tail end of a job like this. In the case of this economical eBay kit, despite the Chinese components (which can sometimes be questionable), it appears to be well made and worth the $1050 that it is being sold for. IMO, a possible 40% horsepower increase for that money is a good buy.As for "project complete" I wish that I could say that about my Fieros-LOL.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Just goes to show that you can be a good fabricator and plumb a turbo on just about anything but the fine points and the tuning are critical areas..

I know that bit all to well with the '88. Magic aint where its at.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I know that bit all to well with the '88. Magic aint where its at.

So how is yours coming along? Serious question.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see a turbo story gone right
eljibaro127

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eljibaro127Send a Private Message to eljibaro127Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats now all you need is to dyno it.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2012 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are 2 quick videos, first outside the car half throttle 4.5K rpms and under 6lbs of boost. Then Inside the car at about 4K

http://www.youtube.com/watc...bile=1&v=OuSQHiMSTAw

http://www.youtube.com/watc...N11Bn3E&feature=plcp

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 11-13-2012).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2012 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are 2 quick videos, first outside the car half throttle 4.5K rpms and under 6lbs of boost. Then Inside the car at about 4K

So, when will you be doing the "full throttle" videos?
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that sounds awsome!! I would love to know what the hp increase is.. any plans to get larger injectors and up the boost down the road?
al
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ace5514:

that sounds awsome!! I would love to know what the hp increase is.. any plans to get larger injectors and up the boost down the road?
al

Thanks, it sounds even better in person. Dennis feels it needs another tune to tweak it, after that I will have it dyno'd. As far as more boost, I don't think my injectors are the issue I think the engine is. I don't believe it can handle much more then its getting
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2012 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea you don't want to blow up the motor and i'm sure the boost you have is waking the motor up enough. my stock 2.8 is a blast to drive (when it was on the road) but a few more horses would be great. Looking forward to seeing yours in person one day.
DOC63

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DOC63Send a Private Message to DOC63Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I had the luck you did. I bout the same kit around Apr 12 from the same guy and it was a mistake for me. He shipped the parts in one large box, without wrapping anything. When it got to me it was dented everywhere and scratched. He said he would send me new pipes, but here I am almost a year later. Regardless, I still tried to work with it. I recently found though that this "kit" didn't even fit for my 4spd, would of worked great for an automatic. The turbo flange sits right behind the shift linkage making it impossible to work. Maybe he's fixed the design since? Since, I've cut it in pieces trying to fabricate my own manifold. Glad it worked out for you, but I won't ever do buisness with him again.
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@DOC63, Yeah I also had some fitment issues but he did work to resolve my issues and in the end all turned out well.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My eBay turbo update. It's been about 10 months since I purchased the turbo kit and although it had issues it did work, and it made a difference in power but it wasn't perfect. It lacked the power it should have been producing, it had way to much lag and the turbo wasn't balanced properly and caused a minor vibration. For most normal people it would have been fine but I'm far from normal, a perfectionist with a little OCD, long story short... Every piece of the eBay kit is now in the garbage, I purchased a Precision 58mm billet Turbo and wastegate and had it installed on new improved header pipe and 3" V band stainless exhaust all custom made by AMS Autowerks here in NJ. Along with the meth kit it's now dialed up to 10psi and the boost is immediate, it feels smooth and strong and sounds even better then before. In short, you get what you pay for.

------------------

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087461.html

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What?? So all the crap Denis said above is not true? No explaining needed.

"... it appears to be well made and worth the $1050 that it is being sold for. IMO, a possible 40% horsepower increase for that money is a good buy..."
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

What?? So all the crap Dennis said above is not true? No explaining needed.

"... it appears to be well made and worth the $1050 that it is being sold for. IMO, a possible 40% horsepower increase for that money is a good buy..."

I believe that Jerry said it best. You get what you pay for BUT.... we've got darkhorizon on this forum who began running 10 second 1/4 miles with an eBay turbo and IIRC it was low cost and Chinese made. He may have upgraded since but maybe he will read this and comment. Obviously a Garrett or Turbonetics turbo should be better but most 60* V6 owners don't want to spend the money.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say Dennis hit the nail on the head with that statement, and I would still recommend this kit for anyone on a budget. At $1000 for what's included I don't think it's a bad deal, I paid more then that for my new turbo alone. That kit provided a nice increase in horsepower and was still working when removed. It would be fair to argue that the money now spent on the new setup wasn't worth the gains over the eBay kit.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Congrats man.. Car sounds good, i hope you really enjoy it. I did a 3.4 last year with a fresh crate engine and added a turbo too it as well.. My turbo kit was an older one though, i guess you cant get them anymore, its a Garrett. All my work was done by the Fiero Factory.. Mines set at 9lbs, and it really really kicks when you punch it. Have fun and be careful, once you get the feeling of that boost, its hard to keep from putting your foot down every time you go out, lol..

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 06-01-2013).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

I did a 3.4 last year with a fresh crate engine and added a turbo too it as well.. My turbo kit was an older one though, i guess you cant get them anymore, its a Garrett. All my work was done by the Fiero Factory..

I followed your thread very closely, from the day his parents picked it up till its debut at the Christmas party.... Car looks great, I need to stay off this damn forum lol.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 06-01-2013).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe that Jerry said it best. You get what you pay for BUT.... we've got darkhorizon on this forum who began running 10 second 1/4 miles with an eBay turbo and IIRC it was low cost and Chinese made. He may have upgraded since but maybe he will read this and comment. Obviously a Garrett or Turbonetics turbo should be better but most 60* V6 owners don't want to spend the money.

Unfortunately I run a very low quality "brand name" turbo that smokes all the time. My Honda has a Ebay turbo that works seems to prove to be more reliable most of the time. I am a bit hard on turbos though.

If you are trying to say that spending alot more money on a newly designed turbo that spools better.. then that seems like a dumb comparison, as of course new expensive turbos are going to spool a bit better. The real confusion here is the fact you went with a 58mm turbo, which will still spool slower than even the dumpiest 48 trim ebay turbo and make the same power.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured its worth keeping this one outta the archives with some updated pictures.
I switched over to the 7730 ECM and DIS, also added a A2W intercooler upping the boost to 10psi,

I still need to replace the eBay blow off valve

Also added A pillar gauges and meth light

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 02-07-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I figured its worth keeping this one outta the archives with some updated pictures.
I switched over to the 7730 ECM and DIS, also added a A2W intercooler upping the boost to 10psi,

I still need to replace the eBay blow off valve

Also added A pillar gauges and meth light

Great looking setup. My guess is that 3.4L setup gets you into the high 12's /low 13's. Ron " Lead Foot" Meyers from Coropolis, PA w a modified turbo 3.1L engine in his burgundy 87GT, hit 12.0 in the 1/4 mile back in 1995. Ron proved running 12's can be done w the 60* V6 engine but I believe that the feat hasn't been duplicated since. .

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Great looking setup. My guess is that 3.4L setup gets you into the high 12's /low 13's. Ron " Lead Foot" Meyers from Coropolis, PA w a modified turbo 3.1L engine in his burgundy 87GT, hit 12.0 in the 1/4 mile back in 1995. Ron proved running 12's can be done w the 60* V6 engine but I believe that the feat hasn't been duplicated since. .

Thanks for the compliments Dennis. I guess in a few weeks I'll find out, the track opens on the 28th of February and I plan on being there if weather permits.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock