Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Katatak's Next Big Fiero Adventure! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Katatak's Next Big Fiero Adventure! by katatak
Started on: 05-03-2012 11:43 PM
Replies: 242 (7142 views)
Last post by: katatak on 07-15-2014 11:03 PM
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not quite yet!
This one will be north of 200HP when I am finished. It's my commuter car since I traded off the Camaro a few months ago.
It sure is fun though.

I've been working on my newly acquired 73 Bettles lately. Rebuilding a Baja now.

The white 84 is finished, so I hardly mess with it now.
The red one is just waiting on the right motor to be back on the road, the rest is finished.

Just working on getting the parts for a few winter projects lined up. I have 32 tires attached to various vehicles around the yard.
Thinning the heard down a little.....

There is a 3.6L out of a 2010 camaro here in town for $1200. Wonder how hard a wiring harness would be.........hmmmm.

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 12-03-2012).]

IP: Logged
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

Not quite yet!
This one will be north of 200HP when I am finished. It's my commuter car since I traded off the Camaro a few months ago.
It sure is fun though.

I've been working on my newly acquired 73 Bettles lately. Rebuilding a Baja now.

The white 84 is finished, so I hardly mess with it now.
The red one is just waiting on the right motor to be back on the road, the rest is finished.

Just working on getting the parts for a few winter projects lined up. I have 32 tires attached to various vehicles around the yard.
Thinning the heard down a little.....

There is a 3.6L out of a 2010 camaro here in town for $1200. Wonder how hard a wiring harness would be.........hmmmm.

You need to get to one project at a time Phil! You are going to go crazy trying to work them all! I'm going nuts with no projects. Spent the last 3 days searching and searching - I can;t seem to find that "little gem". I go on vacation next week - off owrk until the first of the year - my quest is to find that "little gem" before I have to go back to work - even if I have to drive to New Mexico and trailer one - or two back!!!!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh Oh! What have I done?

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
T tops?

More pictures please!!!!!!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

T tops?

More pictures please!!!!!!

OK Joe - stand by! Got to laod the rest on the laptop!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been watching this car in the Mall for a while. Good score Pat!!!!!!
-Joe
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As requested!

At it's new home!

Interior is not bad - needs a good cleaning and some "updating".

Car was originaly Silver - I'm not completely opposed to Yellow (I've had one in various flavors ( The Short Bus) but this will get a repaint - most likely back to Silver.

Has the old Duke. PO says it "sputters" but won't run. I'll mess with it some - would like to have it running so I can move it around.

It's an AC car - manual windows and locks - tilt column and auto. It's the perfect canvas for my next project.

Can't wait to get started - the car has very little rust. Has a few cosmetic issues but nothing major. It is a T Top car but not a CJB? My original plan for my next project was to cut the top off and build a Roadster but I do not know if I will do it to this car. Right now, the T Tops are sealed up with some silicone but I have new P Seals for it. If I can clean it up and make the tops functional - I'll probably leave the roof alone - if not, Chop - Cut - Rebuild..............

It's going to get a 3800 SC but I'm "schooling" myself on a fairly well built 3800 Turbo setup? Not sure it's worth all that trouble because I'm sticking with an auto. I just don't have it in me to drive a manual anymore. I have to do some work on my garage before I can get it in there to start the project. Since I moved here to Omaha in June, I have just been piling crap in there - I barley have enough room to get the Monte in and out. By next weekend, I should have it inside and start the tear down. I will strip her clear to the bones - rebuild all the suspension. Big brake setup. Add a rear sway bar. Complete custom interior build, etc. etc. It may take 6 months, it may take 6 years? I was kind of planning on having it done so I could take it to the 30th in June but I may look for a nice clean daily driver for that trip? A little bird told me a bout a SBC car near by! It might have to come home too! If so, I'll have to add another garage door to the shop!

I may start a new thread to document the project? I'm thinking "Project Sidewinder". Why Sidewinder? Well awhile back, I really wanted to build a Cobra AC from the ground up - after looking and looking, driving a couple, etc., it's painfully aware to me that it's just not going to happen. So, I will build a "Roadster" Fiero and it needs a "snake" name.....lol Viper, Cobra, Super Snake, etc are taken - "Sidewinder" will "fit" the car when it's done! Or maybe "the Rattler"???? It's got to have a name!

More later!

Pat

dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"sidewinder" would sure fit with our transverse engine layouts.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the Duke is running, it does have a 'Rattle'
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

"sidewinder" would sure fit with our transverse engine layouts.

I had an 86 Coupe with a 383 in it and it definitely spent a lot of it's time going "sideways" - I've thought Sidewinder would be a good name ever since!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 01-06-2013).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

When the Duke is running, it does have a 'Rattle'

That's funny Joe, Exactly what I was thinking - back when I had the XTC with the Duke, Rattle was all that car did - between the Duke rattle and the rattle fo the body parts, it turly was a "Rattler"! I miss that car.
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a good car. T-tops look like fun.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Looks like a good car. T-tops look like fun.

It's a very solid car - it's all there and I could probably get it running and give it a good cleaning and just drive it. Never had a T Top car of any kind. I've heard all the "issues" related to T Top Fieros and leaks, noise, rattles, etc. Right now the top does not leak but it is siliconed along the outer edges - It looks like caca and renders the tops "sealed". I will mess with them and see if I can rehab them but I will not waste a bunch of time on them. I've been want ing to build a "Targa Top" or a "roadster Fiero for a long time. Maybe the T Top's will give me what I'm looking for?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

It's a very solid car - it's all there and I could probably get it running and give it a good cleaning and just drive it. Never had a T Top car of any kind. I've heard all the "issues" related to T Top Fieros and leaks, noise, rattles, etc. Right now the top does not leak but it is siliconed along the outer edges - It looks like caca and renders the tops "sealed". I will mess with them and see if I can rehab them but I will not waste a bunch of time on them. I've been want ing to build a "Targa Top" or a "roadster Fiero for a long time. Maybe the T Top's will give me what I'm looking for?

If you aren't happy with the T-tops, I highly recommend you remove the T-top section with the tops and the remains of the seals, so you could sell it to another Fiero owner. I'm sure someone would be interested in it.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the plan Matt. If it comes off, I'll do in a manner where it will be useful to someone else.
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be following this thread with some interest.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good score Pat!
Let me know if you need any parts. I have an extra 88 sway bar buried in my pile somewhere. lots and lots of leftovers since I am down to one 84 now.
After I finish the bug, I'll be hunting for a nice driver. I promise not to mod it, or chop it, or swap it.........much.

------------------
84 Fiero V6 4 speed
84 Fiero Duke 4 Speed
11 Camaro SS/RS LS3
08 Suburban Z71
12 Silverado Z71
12 Tahoe LT
73 VW Baja

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
i'm sure i could fly a plane no problem.
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go Phil.....in Los Lunas.....buy it before I get any more tempted.....

http://albuquerque.craigsli.../cto/3450825309.html

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

good score Pat!
Let me know if you need any parts. I have an extra 88 sway bar buried in my pile somewhere. lots and lots of leftovers since I am down to one 84 now.
After I finish the bug, I'll be hunting for a nice driver. I promise not to mod it, or chop it, or swap it.........much.

I've heard that before!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Now that's a good buy!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya get that Duke running?
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ya get that Duke running?

Not yet Joe!

I have to do a lot of "work" in my garage so I can get it in there to work on it - too damn cold to mess with it outside! Yesterday it was 55 degrees here - today, about 19 and the wind was blowing - this Midwest wind is brutal! My garage is big enough for 4 cars but currently it's got a center devider so half of it is a nice insulated shop but it does not have a big enough access door to get a car or 2 in it. :ater this year, I will remove the center devider and open up the inside so I can put the Fiero on the shop side. I have a bunch of junk still from the move and the Monte on the other side and it's not insulated. I started today on the garage - first thing I had to do was move my camp trailer over to the storage yard - got that done. Then I needed to clean and organize the shop side - so I have room to stack the "junk" in the garage while I work on insulating, sheet rocking and installing lights on the garage side. I'll start on that tomorrow.

I managed to get the Fiero moved over to one side of the driveway today too. It does not roll very good - I think the breaks are rusted / coroded or the bearings are siezing up? As soon as I get the garage ready, I will pull it inside and see if I can get it running. It really does not matter as I plan on completely tearing it down and starting from scratch. But if I can get it running, maybe someone may be interested in the Motor/Trans once I yank it out?

I played with the T Tops today. I was kind of hoping they were in good enough shape to keep but the seals are completely shot and someone - way back, used silicone to seal them up. They don't leak now (Maybe they will after I messed with them) but I thought if I could keep them funtional, I'd leave it alone. The bottom line is that it looks plain nasty with the tops off and I can't stand it. The T Top will be going away - I want to build a Roadster anyway.

I'll have to dig up some tips on how to cut the T Tops off so that someone else may want it for a T Top swap. The Tops themselves are in pretty good shape - all the latch mechs work and all the pieces and parts are there. One thing that surprised me is that these tops are actually tinted safety glass! The only other T Top Fiero I ever looked at (in person) was in a junk yard in El Paso and the tops were smoked plexi! Probably were replacement peices? Anyway, once I get the roof off of this one, I'll put it in the Mall for sale or trade.

More Later!
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ohhh!!

------------------
84 Fiero V6 4 speed
84 Fiero Duke 4 Speed
11 Camaro SS/RS LS3
08 Suburban Z71
12 Silverado Z71
12 Tahoe LT
73 VW Baja

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
i'm sure i could fly a plane no problem.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really miss my 88 Formula - that's one of those I should have never let go! At least she went to a good home.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 3800 Turbo would go nicely in that t-top car
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

A 3800 Turbo would go nicely in that t-top car

That's the way I am leaning....... I've never had a Turbo car - at least a hot rod Turbo car. I have a 2011 Cruze with a - well I guess you could call it a turbo - but that's pretty much my experience with Turbo's. I figure it's time I go that route.

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see U back Pat. Turbo 3800 on the 65E sounds like a plan there. Will be watching..
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Good to see U back Pat. Turbo 3800 on the 65E sounds like a plan there. Will be watching..

Thanks Stephen - feels good to be back in the Fiero mix again. I'm really fired up to do this one. I'll be picking your brain as usual!

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So today, I begin prepping my garage for the Fiero project. I had a ton of stuff stacked in there - lot's of stuff still in boxes from the move back in June. I managed to get it cleaned out - at least the side wall and back wall where I need to insulate and sheet rock. Got a full load of junk in my little trailer to take to the dump too so it was worth doing - but it was very cold today. Around 16 degrees with a nice wind blowing. It's supposed to warm up towards mid week so I'll do a little work in the evenings - hope to have all the insulation and sheet rock done by the end of next weekend. I'll have to wait for it to warm up some before I can tape, texture and paint but at least I'll be able to turn on the heater and keep some warmth in there while I start tinkering with the Fiero.

Ready for some insulation and drywall!

And cleaned by bench off on the shop side!

New stable mates getting aquainted!

More later!

Pat

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

Spent the last 2 weekends working in the garage - getting it ready so I can start the Roadster project. Got the walls insulated and sheeted. Hope to get the lights installed tomorrow then build a few benches and shelves then it's game on! Also ordered a Tube bender and a set of dies!

Had to do a little demo first - ripped out some shelves and old plywood.

Found this little guy behind the old plywood - he was a little "stiff"

Making progress:

Back wall done!

Monte put back to bed - had to hook up the battery tender - she does not like these cold Midwest days!

More later.

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 02-06-2014).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

Got the recessed lights installed and wired in - Done! Got the shop lights hung and the receptacles mounted / Romex ran. Just have to complete the connection in the wall. What a difference some light makes in the Man Cave! I can see - I can see.....lol. This weekend I'm going to install the Ceiling insulation / sheeting and move the Fiero inside to start the project. First plan is to see if I can get the Duke to run. Will be nice having it running - makes it a lot easier to move in and out. Also will make it easier to sell the Duke/Trans if I know it works. I'm getting very close to actually working on a Fiero again.

More later!

Pat
PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming along nicely Pat.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Diggin' it!!! When can I come visit?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Coming along nicely Pat.

Thanks Dan! How's that Stang coming along?
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what I call a build thread, building the garage that the car goes in first!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Diggin' it!!! When can I come visit?

Anytime John!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Formula:

This is what I call a build thread, building the garage that the car goes in first!

It's like the age old question - Which came first - the Chicken or the Egg? Or in this case - the Garage or the Fiero? I Can't do one without doing the other. There's no way I'm going to do this project outside. Next post will be Fiero dismantling!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The garage project has been dragging it's a#@...... Work keeps getting in the way. I did manage to get all the walls done, the lights installed and wired and the cieling done. Bult a storage shelf and started on 1 of 2 work benches today. Hopefully, next Saturday, I'll get the Fiero in the garage and see if I can get the old Duke to fire.

120.00 in lumber!

Drag out oll my tools!

Shelf done!

Fabbing a work bench.

And a shot of the victim this afternoon.

Been figuring out the cage setup. Not an artist but here's a "rough" idea of what I'm thinking about.

There will be some reinforcement plates for the cage and I ordered some "dimple dies" from JD2 - same manufacturer as the Tube Bender I bought. Going for this look:

More later!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 02-10-2013).]

BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2013 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Garage is looking good!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hah! You move all that way to get away from snakes, and one pops up in your mancave. Ironic.

I can't wait to see what you have planned. Looks like a great start there Pat.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock