Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New Project: Indy Fiero #64 Restoration (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New Project: Indy Fiero #64 Restoration by FieroMaster88
Started on: 10-09-2011 03:31 PM
Replies: 188 (8073 views)
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 12-14-2020 08:16 PM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured I should post a thread about my new project. I purchased this car from tbone42 about a month ago and had it delivered by blackrams. Both guys were great to work with!
Anyway, the car is Indy #64 and parade car #4. It has 152,000 miles on it and needs a restoration. It will be a long project but I plan to get it completed and keep the car for a weekend driver. When I got the car it was not running. I found it had no fuel pressure but I could hear the fuel pump running. I removed the fuel tank and found the rubber line between the fuel pump and sending unit cracked. I replaced the pump and hose and the car runs now. The gas is a little old but I'll get it ran through and fill the tank with some new gas. I've also replaced the alternator and belt. Hopefully this week while the weather is nice I'll get the factory seat fabric reinstalled on the seats. The driver seat had a tear in the leather so different seats were put into the car by a previous owner. The factory seat fabric came with the car. I found a second set of seats and purchased them so now I have enough parts to put 2 good seats together. I also got some nicer door panels with map pockets to put in the car. The car also has a hooker header on it and a poly bushings in the suspension.

I plan on getting the car painted completely. I've purchased a new set of decals for the car already. It needs new dew wipes, sunroof seal and a lock set. I'm planning on replacing all the brake lines with the kit from the Fiero Store because the lines on the car are quite rusty and one is leaking. Hope to get those ordered this week. There is also some rust in the trunk that needs to be fixed and a new battery tray needs to be installed. It came with a good battery tray, I just have to weld it in. I plan on replacing the rusty trunk corners and remove the rear clip to see if the frame is at all rusty. Any rust will be repaired and por15 coated. The floors and front are in good shape. The engine needs to be cleaned and repainted too. I'll also need some new tires and to repair the wheels. I plan on returning the car to 100% stock. I'll post more as I work on it. Here are some pictures I took today.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 01-28-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Verrrrry nice project. Oh someday I will own an Indy myself.

BTW, where is the release button on your e-brake?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

BTW, where is the release button on your e-brake?

Thats a good question. I've been wondering the same thing myself.
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Factory Stock
The way God intended it to be.

ThatFieroKid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohioindy:

You might want to put that popcorn away. FieroMaster told me he's swapping an L67 into this car.
J/K
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2011 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You might want to put that popcorn away. FieroMaster told me he's swapping an L67 into this car.
J/K

------------------
Factory Stock
The way God intended it to be.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I fixed a leaky brake line so I can drive the car around the neighborhood. I've got to get some fresh gas in it too. Hopefully I can get a couple hours this week to work on the seats.
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2011 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fix your seat color.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2011 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

Fix your seat color.

That would be today's project. I'll post pictures as I swap the covers over. I have a bunch of bmw's to fix first.

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all as you know I am the one that got the car to t-bone and I am happy to see that this car is getting its due. I have an emotional attachment to this car and hope that I can get a ride when she is complete. Rock On and I will be watching closely.

Tom

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328 85 300ZX

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the seats done today. Here are some pictures. I started with the seat back.

First you unzip it:

Then you lift up the fabric, cut the hog rings holding the rods in place and pull the rods out:

Then you pull up the fabric, cut the hog rings along the bottom of the head rest and pull the fabric off:

Then it's the reverse for install and the finish product looks like this:

Then it was on to the seat bottom. First you cut the hog rings on the bottom to get the fabric loose:

Then you pull the fabric up and cut the hog rings that hold the rods in and pull the rods out and remove the fabric:

Then again, reverse of removal to install and the finish product looks like this:

Bolt the two parts of the seat back together and seat 1 is done. Then do it all again on the other seat.

Then install into the car and enjoy!
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post10-13-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2011 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

J/K

Why not? I would, I mean it would be tastefully done. I've been contemplating this, I just haven't found a good project Indy yet.... No negs for this, it may not be for all but it's what "I" would do. -Jason

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found the sunroof leaks around the bolts that hold the latch onto the glass. I ordered new screws and seals so I can fix it. I also ordered some light gray seat belt receptacles and a factory wiring harness so I can install the radio. I still need to find a left tail light, seat mechanism covers in light gray, auto shifter surround and boot and a radio/heater control surround.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, what would be the best idea for getting the car painted, panels off or panels on? I need so take the rear clip off to fix some rust issues so maybe panels off would be the best bet. One more question, is there anyone out there who makes repair kits for the rear frame rails and trunk corners?
ThatFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Ok, what would be the best idea for getting the car painted, panels off or panels on? I need so take the rear clip off to fix some rust issues so maybe panels off would be the best bet. One more question, is there anyone out there who makes repair kits for the rear frame rails and trunk corners?

Since you're doing a full restoration and you have to take some off anyway, I would say it's worth it to take the panels off.
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hopefully this week while the weather is nice I'll get the factory seat fabric reinstalled on the seats. The driver seat had a tear in the leather so different seats were put into the car by a previous owner. The factory seat fabric came with the car. I found a second set of seats and purchased them so now I have enough parts to put 2 good seats together.

The bad indy covers you are not using due to bad leather, anything you have left, I would love to buy from you... The red is what I need... My Indy had a smoker who liked to burn cigarette holes in my seat bottoms... If you had a red panels left over in good condition.... I might be able to get the section with the burn replaced by a shop... All my leather is shot, so the covers are going to have to go under the knife anyway... I have to piece these babies PLEASE?

Driver & passenger... UGH! I hate smoking in cars... esp limited edition

Driver:

passenger:

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 10-18-2011).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

redraif

1460 posts
Member since May 2005

Originally posted by ThatFieroKid:

Since you're doing a full restoration and you have to take some off anyway, I would say it's worth it to take the panels off.

Agreed! Least you have something to work with... previous owner thought a rattle can was the way to restore mine... LOL! Oh lord I have alot of work ahead...

Welcome to the INDY family!

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 10-18-2011).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by redraif:

The bad indy covers you are not using due to bad leather, anything you have left, I would love to buy from you... The red is what I need... My Indy had a smoker who liked to burn cigarette holes in my seat bottoms... If you had a red panels left over in good condition.... I might be able to get the section with the burn replaced by a shop... All my leather is shot, so the covers are going to have to go under the knife anyway... I have to piece these babies PLEASE?

Driver & passenger... UGH! I hate smoking in cars... esp limited edition

You have a PM.
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I found the sunroof leaks around the bolts that hold the latch onto the glass. I ordered new screws and seals so I can fix it. I also ordered some light gray seat belt receptacles and a factory wiring harness so I can install the radio. I still need to find a left tail light, seat mechanism covers in light gray, auto shifter surround and boot and a radio/heater control surround.

I may have a tail light, I'll check. Years ago I saw a set of GM trunk corners and I'm sure finding them is tough. If you can't find them then I'd cut the rust out and form new metal and weld it in. I'd prep and paint the panels off but paint the roof and rear clip on the car. Have any questions let me know.
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tigger:

I may have a tail light, I'll check. Years ago I saw a set of GM trunk corners and I'm sure finding them is tough. If you can't find them then I'd cut the rust out and form new metal and weld it in. I'd prep and paint the panels off but paint the roof and rear clip on the car. Have any questions let me know.

Only question I have is when do you want to paint it? do you know any good paint shops in Michigan?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2011 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I worked on the car a bit. I cleaned up the interior. I installed an uncracked center console skeleton and replaced the missing radio connectors. I replaced the seat belt receptacles and got the seats installed and bolted down. I also took the sunroof glass out and replaced all the seals on the front tabs and the latch which will hopefully take care of my leak. Tomorrow I'm taking the deck lid vent and side covers to work, sanding them down and painting them flat black. I'll get some pictures of the interior tomorrow and post them.

I hope to order some new dew wipes and a new lock set (doors and deck lid) this week. I got a set of tail lights for the car today that I will install when they get here. It's coming along nicely. I hope to get the rust taken care of and get it painted in the spring. Already got the new decals for it.

I forgot, does anyone have a set of Indy floor mats they want to sell?

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 10-23-2011).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a couple pictures today while I had both cars out of the way to clean the garage. I also drove the Indy around the neighborhood for the first time today. Runs pretty good and drives great. The trans shifts good and the suspension feels tight. The brakes need some work and I need to get some new tires before I start driving it much further than around the block.

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you have a PM...
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Life has been crazy busy lately and have not had much time to work on the car. I got some work done this morning. I installed the new radio. It's a factory CD player from a 00 Grand Am. The turn signals did not work and the right front parking lights did not work. I found the flasher had gone bad so I replaced that. I found the turn signal bulb socket was bad in the right front causing the light to not work. I replaced the socket and now all the lights work great. I still Have to rebuild the headlight motors and I need to get a new cooling fan. I replaced the inner and outer dew wipes on the drivers door today too. I still have to do the passenger side dew wipes and have to install the new locks in the doors. I was going to do that today but found the lock rod on the drivers door from the latch to the outside door lock is missing plus it started raining on me. Hopefully the used floor mats I got will be here this week too and the interior will be close to done. We're getting there slowly. My plan is to have it drivable with a perfect interior then get it painted and the rust repaired next winter.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Forgot I put new wipers on it too. Not a huge thing but every piece is a little closer to completion!
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome. Glad to here its coming along.

------------------
Rescued & resuscitated 1984 Indy Fiero Pace Car #770 presently reversibly modified...LOL!

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No huge updates. I wiped the snow off of it yesterday. Too cold to work on it. I found floor mats and trim pieces I needed from KEV, just waiting for them to get here. I also got a new auto shift boot and "PONTIAC" windshield banner from Fiero Thomas. Both top notch parts.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 12-10-2011).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by redraif:

My Indy had a smoker who liked to burn cigarette holes in my seat bottoms...

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Only question I have is when do you want to paint it? do you know any good paint shops in Michigan?

Try my cousin's shop http://www.trodsflint.com/ maybe a little bit of a drive for you.
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got some more parts today. Non rusted frame rails. They will go on this summer when the car gets painted.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You really are taking this one all the way. Happy to see it being restored. Rick B
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be selling the car. Life/Plans are changing and I'll have to sell one of the Fiero's and the Indy will be the one to go. Don't worry, it's a good change. I'd love to see this car go to someone who would be able to restore it to how it should be. It still needs the passenger dew wipes replaced, frame rails replaced, battery tray replaced, paint job, lock kit installed, headlight motors rebuit/replaced, tires replaced, brake line repaired, alternator replaced and probably a tune up. It does run/drive/shift good, I've driven it around the neighborhood a couple times. It comes with the dew wipes, lock kit with keys, rust free frame rails, battery tray, front emblem and a new alternator. It has a clear title as well. If anyone is interested let me know. It would need to be towed, I wouldn't trust it on a long drive.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The key with this car is it is #4 at the track and was assigned to Andrew B. Lacy who was part of the Festival Commission. He is the Fella holding the Key if I remember correctly on the track of cars if anyone has seen that picture. This car is a significant Pace car being #64 of 2000 and #4 of 133 + 15 [ that showed up race day by V.I.P's] FIeros that were at the track. Sorry to see you are selling as I seen high hope from everyone who has had this car so far. Rick B
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I don't really need to sell it but the extra money right now would be good. If it hasn't sold by spring I'll put a lot of the parts on it and drive it some this summer. We will see what happens. Maybe I'll find a place to store it and wait a coupe years to finish it.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have high hopes that you will save her. If I was not out of work for two years I would have not sold her at all. I miss seeing her in my driveway.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

I have high hopes that you will save her. If I was not out of work for two years I would have not sold her at all. I miss seeing her in my driveway.

I still might. Looking for a place to store it. The reason I'm listing it is that the wife and I found out we're having a baby. She tells me that I don't have to sell it. I need a place to store it because It's sitting in the driveway right now and I'd like it to be inside if it's going to sit for an extended period of time. Maybe I'll build a decent sized shed in the back yard to store it in.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2012 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just saw this thread for the first time since you got the car and now you want to sell it. So sad, she always makes her owner's happy but we never keep her for long. She's becoming quite a legend, I wonder where she will end up next?

BTW- Good job on all the work you have been doing James.. if I had a garage... well, you know.

------------------

"Maybe we should call you Meat Head...!"

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 02-22-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock