Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  85 GT Ecotec turbo project "Fierion" (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
85 GT Ecotec turbo project "Fierion" by coppertop_01
Started on: 09-28-2010 10:53 AM
Replies: 166 (7654 views)
Last post by: Bridgetown on 10-04-2014 08:27 PM
coppertop_01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope using the stock ION redline transmission with no LSD...........possible in the future, but for now I've got two of them, so I will use them.

Jer
IP: Logged
ccfiero350

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm confused, I thought this motor was a LSJ originally, so it would come with the MU3/F35 with possible LSD option.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I think we got all confused, yes I have two F35 transmissions, but neither have the LSD, the LSD transmissions that were for the LSJ's were listed under a different F-number that escapes my mind.....this is where I think I got confused with one of your messages.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good deal, we use the same axles.

On my project I changed the wheel bolt pattern to access cheap wide rims and tires and avoid fiero hub failures in racing conditions. In doing so I've had to design my own rear knuckle for the 88 geometry and bigger hub bearings that works with a stock off the shelf axle that fit the F35. It will also uses vette rear calipers with e-brakes and 12" to 13" rotors.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was actually thinking about using the ION front hubs in the rear of my build, and the rear hubs from the ION on the front stock spindle assembly, it would change me to 5x110 instantly.

Really though I haven't started putting too much thought into the suspension until the exhaust and intakes are complete, until then I am keeping an open mind, so I might take you up on that offer.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked at that too, it's easier on non 88 cars, no strut offset to get in the way.

If you need extra cobalt knuckle assemblies let me know. I need to clean out my R&D parts cabinet.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I have ION strut assemblies that I won't need for too much longer.

I was actually thinking of constructing my own rear knuckle if the CTS units weren't what I was looking for, also I can play with the dimensions a bit to allow for wider rims.

Could you do me a favor though? if you have any pics of a 88 knuckle can you email me some pics of them so I can get some idea's........email is coppertop_01@hotmail.com

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a few good ones at the top of page two. //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000094-2.html

I have the part modeled up in ProE.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
posted a couple pics of the completed exhaust

my rod ends for the front suspension came in today, should get a couple pics up in the next couple days, bought links similar to your setup CC......but through QA1 I can buy just the rod ends for a few bucks cheaper.

Jer
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jer, I have a pair of '88 knuckles and all suspension components including '88 cradle in the basement, also have 88->84-87 strut relocation brackets
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rourke, I thought that you were using all those parts for your V8 conversion.........

Jer
PFF
System Bot
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coppertop_01:
... if you have any pics of a 88 knuckle can you email me some pics of them so I can get some idea's........

Jer

They are for my project but they aren't being used at the moment, I was only offering if you wanted to use them for mock up. I'm working on other project(s) first.
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw your posts. Great looking exhaust.

I have two tig units in my shop. 225 amp and 400 amps, but I don't have enough building power to run the small unit at full output for more then a handful of minutes.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for the front end.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure of the outputs on my TIG unit, but the line going to it is only 30amp, current draw max on the TIG is 40amp, so I really run into problems with anything over 1/4" especially aluminum.

My setup is actually going to be quite similar to yours, with some exceptions on the type of ball joints and knuckles.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's my problem exactly, I'm using my 220 clothes dryer outlet to power all my 220 volt tools, one tool at a time.

I really want a bigger shop with some 3 phase power.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was hoping to have a couple welded intake pics to post tonight (gave up on welding it personally, sent it to a guy that does amazing alum welding) but he didn't finish the welding today.

Jer
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am REALLY REALLY jealous of your exhaust setup. I really want an exotic looking tailpipe setup like that for my ecotecfiero.
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, it was a lot of work but I think it will be well worth it when its all ceramic coated and looking perty.

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New post of the partially welded intake manifold is up, the guy who does the alum welding is a ton better than me, and it shows.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, I've been trolling ebay for a while looking for an intake like this.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely not something I would make too often, the design is much simpler than the exhaust, but the materials are much more difficult to work with and makes it more time consuming.

Jer
PFF
System Bot
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I had an idea to add an second set of injectors over the runners but I'd figure I would try to finish my car with what I have before I swap it over to turbo.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Intake is getting closer to completion, need to polish the runners tomorrow and get it off to final welding, maybe I'll have it back on Monday.

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys nothing much to update just yet, been busy with a 3800SC and 4spd swap going into my daily driver (86GT auto) that will be installed between xmas and new years. The intake is still out for welding, but I started looking at the front suspension and ordered some custom poly bushings to run with the new cross shaft and QA1 adjustable eye bolts for a similar upper control arm setup to ccfiero's ecotec build..........was very impressed with it and its going to work well so I figured lets go with that.

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got something to update, check out the blog.......intake manifold is back and looking great.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice!

I see what you mean on the hose nipple. Is there enough room to chamfer that corner off and fit the hose before getting into the air horn?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was one idea that I had, but I want to look at it a bit more, I might be able to modify the inlet (aka chop it off) and fabricate a tight 90 degree elbow that will thread into the head or bolt to the head (both requiring a bit of head modifying and a grove for a seal)

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be great if you could find an aluminum elbow to fit. It looks like there could enough room to weld it on with the head still bolted up.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ccfiero350

826 posts
Member since Feb 2003
I just remembered I have a thermostat housing with a rotating neck from a sbc. I'll send some pics in a few.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ccfiero350

826 posts
Member since Feb 2003
I have this swivel water neck that could work for a source piece. It's thick walled (1/4" at the thickest) and the ID is 1.24"

It would be possible to machine the water neck to fit over the existing nipple.

Neck shown on the nipple. The water neck is 2.70" from the base to the step.

It may be possible to machine an internal o-ring seal in the water neck and do a collet finger clamp on it.

I think these housing are available in 90 degree version too. If you want it I can swap it even up for that plate you sent me.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the pics CC, not sure if it will fit, but can you throw me a couple dimensions of it so I can see? Also do you have a link for the 90 degree unit?

I was just looking at it a little more, I might be able to cut the pipe off on a angle, and with another piece of 1/8" wall alum pipe cut on a angle make the inlet angle out from the head enough to clear the intake........just will require more alum welding, it should be far enough from the head gasket to keep warping down.

Jer
PFF
System Bot
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you keep it bolted up, the block will act like a huge heat sink keeping the head from getting hot enough to warp. Warping a DOHC head is expensive. Better safe then sorry.
With just a little bit of machining to make a slip over fit, I bet you could do a resin bonding and not weld at all.

http://www.summitracing.com.../BSP-90220/?rtype=10
These are typical of the 90's.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slightly offtopic, but here is the pics from the swap week of my daily driver........

Well I am onto 36 hours with my 3800SC swap, got the car started today and it sounds ****ing ILL, I've been taking my time with only 6 hours per day spent, its been my whole week but I have been able to spend time with the wife and not drive myself completely insane with the swap.

Here are a couple pics of the install from start to where it is right now, tomorrow just gotta clean up a couple things, take it for a test drive and clean the shop before people come back to work on monday.

Currently there is an error code for a P0101, which relates to the MAF sensor which could be bad, but it could be other things as well.

BTW the last pic is a video of the exhaust sound, computer speakers don't do it justice..........really hook up your computer to your surround stereo on your TV for best effect, but the car sounds like a small block V8 with a loopy cam.

Jer
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Jer, looks like that swap is coming along and in good time too. Congrats!
Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do GOOD WORK Jer!
Right on Schedule.
Sounds Bad Ass
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I took it for its first spin.........6 puck clutches grip like a bastard and chatter, I have a small problem with the shifter not allowing the transmission to shift into 2nd and 4th, I've adjusted as much as it will let me, but since I had to modify the factory mount a bit it isn't giving me enough adjustment to get full activation, will have to build something up tomorrow.

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the DD fiero is almost done, found a major problem that was being a pain in my ass last night.........sucks when its only 20 degrees F out though. Still need to fine tune the shifter, got it adjusted for 2nd, but now 1st is a pain in the ass, it will activate but barely. Also need to change the thermostat, its stuck open making for a cold drive in winter.

I started on a few other things with the project car yesterday, lasered/formed the brackets that will hold the intercooler in place. Also thanks to rourke I borrowed his 88 cradle and control arms/hubs so I can build a new cradle giving me the updated rear suspension. This I am going to make a massive jig so if I feel the need to weld up more cradles in the future

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New post to the blog..........Jig for a 88 style rear engine cradle is nearly complete and ready to build a new engine cradle for the car.

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started working on a new 88 style engine cradle that will mount the LSJ motor and trans, big thanks to CCFiero and his 3D renderings.

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Custom 88 cradle is closer to welding, got the first major pieces lasered, formed, ready for some tack welding and test fit into the engine cradle jig. I hope everything works out, because if it does its going to be a busy weekend with a lot of progress going on. Here are a couple pics, please take a second to check out the blog if you haven't already.

www.coppertopautosports.blogspot.com

Jer
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay