BUILDING MY FIRST CHOP TOP by FIEROSMIGLA
Started on: 08-04-2010 07:56 PM
Replies: 230 (25409 views)
Last post by: FIEROSMIGLA on 03-28-2016 08:24 PM
FIEROSMIGLA

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the glass in today fits good I will play with the alignment more when I get the rubber and trim in, also reworked the back inner sail panels I modified the existing one that came with the GT. Going pretty smooth now. The next time I post the roof lower 1/4s and rear clip will be painted and assembled.

------------------
87 FIERO GT ( CHOPT TOP IN PROGRESS)
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

IP: Logged
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! By the weekend the rear clip, roof skin, new windshield , lower1/4 and rear window will all be mounted. The triangle piece by the mirror has been modified to the new angle using the original traingle and keeping it with the stock look, the inner rear sails were made from the original sails this took some time but fitment is flawless. My buddy who is doing all the paint work is incredible, the rear clip isn't even wet sanded all materiales used on this Gt are top of the line . We have a ton of hours into it but it's all worth it, the easy stuff is finally ahead I will post some pics this weekend. Thanks for looking

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice paint job!
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Nice paint job!

Thanks I can't wait to get it all together it will be awhile before I build another one so much time into it.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA

324 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Wet sanded and buffed !!

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROSMIGLA:

Wet sanded and buffed !!

Wow, some very nice bodywork.

Archie
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2010 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Very impressive on the body work. Black shows flaws. But not on yours. No flaws to be seen.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com 87 Gt-5spd-62k miles.

exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Outstanding !

Ron can't wait to see it in person.
Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FIEROSMIGLA, you have email

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made a good bit of progress today !! Its all pretty easy from here. Installed the new windshield roof skin rear clip etc. Broke the rear window by accident so back to the glass shop Monday. I will take some close up pics of the triangle pieces that go near the mirror we made them look factory original. It has so much dirt on it it wasent worth taking detailed pics yet. I will take some good pics Wed I should have the door glass rubber in and the rear window back in it for the second time. I can't wait to get those ugly wheels off of it. I also put Dougs side scoops on from the Fierowarehouse man they look good. More pics to come.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you painting the car in stages ??

i notice the front is still red.
PFF
System Bot
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Are you painting the car in stages ??

i notice the front is still red.

Yes I'm doing it piece by piece I wanted to get the roof and rear clip complete thats the hard part the rest is easy from here. I will probably do the suspension next week and get the 19" rims on it. Next will be the door skins then ground effect then ft fenders. My motor was spoteless but with all the work looks like I need to get it cleaned up again. How's the 3.8 SC conversion going?

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ron how do you plan to attach the triangle pieces near the mirror ?

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ron how do you plan to attach the triangle pieces near the mirror ?

They are already attached I think you can see it on the last few pictures I posted, I will take some better ones. They attach just like the original ones did, 2 screws under the windshield pillar and one on the bottom. They were cut down the middle then angled like the chop we used eurothane mender to put it back together so it looks like factory. It was a pain but looks good. I will get you some better pics today!

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ron i am on vacation this week and next if you want to come down to get those parts. Saturday and Sunday are no good, but any other time should be good. Shoot me a PM.
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More pics I put the new shocks struts and lowering springs on it , door skins will be painted by Friday. Hopefully next week i will get it into the alignment shop and get the windows tinted.

img]//images.fiero.nl/2010/today_1_1.jpg[/img]

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your last pic is missing the front bracket before the IMG. [
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Missed a pic, more pics comming this weekend, I would guess total labor hours so far at 200+ hours, I don' regret one minute of it .

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA

324 posts
Member since Nov 2008

Originally posted by donnie072003:

Your last pic is missing the front bracket before the IMG. [

I got it fixed thanks !

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks REALLY good by the way! Fantastic body work and paint. I might be a little jealous! LOL
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HOLY CRAP RON !!!

THAT IS BAD**S !!!

Those new wheels look awesome ! Wow, Wow, and WoW !!!!!
PFF
System Bot
joe cat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joe catSend a Private Message to joe catEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE WRITE UP!! AWESOME SO FAR -

Surprisingly,
I kind of like the black on top with the burgundy bottom...What wheels are they?? and size and tire size?? do they rub at all at any time??

Joe Cat

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joe cat:

NICE WRITE UP!! AWESOME SO FAR -

Surprisingly,
I kind of like the black on top with the burgundy bottom...What wheels are they?? and size and tire size?? do they rub at all at any time??

Joe Cat

I'm painting the entire car black those med red panels are the original paint. Wheels are 19x8 40 offset its properly plus sized so no rubbing 215 35 19 ft 225 35 19 rear . They are Privit wheels they are a upper level Konig wheel. Eibach lowering springs with KYB shocks and struts.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA

324 posts
Member since Nov 2008

HOLY CRAP RON !!!

THAT IS BAD**S !!!

Thanks I appreciate it, A few more weeks and all the paint should be complete!

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

Cajun Road Warrior

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cajun Road WarriorSend a Private Message to Cajun Road WarriorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is lookin nice!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA you doing any hood or decklid vents or you just going with the clean look ?
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA you doing any hood or decklid vents or you just going with the clean look ?

Hood will stay stock , I plan to give it a Ferrari or ZR1 look on the rear dec, I am cutting it out and using glass so you can see the motor when the declid is closed. I will have door skins painted and installed this weekend, next will be fenders , ground effects, rear bumper declid/spoiler then the last to be painted will be the ft bumper and chin spoiler. Soon I will list one by one the extra details that I put into building this GT and how I made the parts, there is a good bit of fabrication that I really didn't discuss yet, (double din nav mod, modded traingles, rear sails, door rubber cuts hidden , declid mod, headliner mod , sail windows etc. This all would never be possible if my friend Scott didn't help ,his paint and body work is incredible we spent a good bit of time thinking up ways to make it different and in some ways make it look like it came from the factory. It's been a fun project so far and it's getting close to complete. I really appreciate everyone comments and support on this forum . Hopefully I will see some of you in Daytona in spring I live about 20 minutes away. More pictures this weekend!!

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HOLY CRAP RON !!!

THAT IS BAD**S !!!

Took the words right outta my mouth... This is a GREAT MOTIVATION thread.... Thanks for sharing. SmoothGT

------------------
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L-V8
SmoothGT-II

Kilofox13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its looking incredible! Keep up the great work!
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kilofox13:

I appreciate it, this week I will have time to get it to the alignment shop and tint the windows, fenders and ground effects will get painted next week . I will try to get some updated pics before Friday.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kilofox13:

X2

This car will be a hott one when done.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

PFF
System Bot
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone a few more pics and updates, I got the chopper aligned and the windows tinted. I started to put the interior back together , I added my double din Avic Z1 Nav mod seats and carpet will be replaced soon. I also ordered a few other things from Mr Mikes. I should have fenders and ground effect painted this week. I'm eliminating all the brown interior color in the GT just sticking with light tan. More pics next week.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When do you hope to have full paint done ?
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When do you hope to have full paint done ?

Hi, I'm painting a few pieces a week I would say in the next 4 weeks. I cut the old headliner today and installed it also started to trim the inner interior trim so it fits perfect. I'm doing a leather headliner with fiberglass headliner shell but I wanted to get this in until I get everything else finished. I'm getting real close to needing those seats. I've been so busy at work I will try to pick them up while I'm on vacation. By then I may just drive the GT to you house.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wet sanded and buffed !!

Nice.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Nice.

Thanks everytime I saw your silver Chop top it's all I could think about so I finally decided to build one. I think a good while back I sent you a few emails about your HRE wheels , I think Mr Mike and I were talking about you. I will have fenders and lower ground effects complete by Friday. I hear people as they walk past my house saying "WOW what kinda of car is that" Did you modify your seat brackets I think I need just a little more room?

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks everytime I saw your silver Chop top it's all I could think about so I finally decided to build one. I think a good while back I sent you a few emails about your HRE wheels , I think Mr Mike and I were talking about you. I will have fenders and lower ground effects complete by Friday. I hear people as they walk past my house saying "WOW what kinda of car is that" Did you modify your seat brackets I think I need just a little more room?

Throw some lambo doors on and the wows multiply by 10 !

hehehehe

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/094708-5.html

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 10-11-2010).]

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More picks , fenders molding and ground effects on. I think I will finish off the declid , rear bumper ,spoiler and mirrors next.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the look and the quality of your work but there's no way on god's earth that I'd get in chop top. I have enough trouble getting into a stock Fiero

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

I love the look and the quality of your work but there's no way on god's earth that I'd get in chop top. I have enough trouble getting into a stock Fiero

Thanks I'm 6 ft tall , I'm lowering the seat brackets and getting a fiberglass headliner and wrapping it in leather just so I can gain a little more room. So far my head clearance is good. I smacked my head into the pillar a few times (getting in and out) after owning so many Fiero's it's hard to change the way you get in and out after having stock ones .

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page