BUILDING MY FIRST CHOP TOP by FIEROSMIGLA
Started on: 08-04-2010 07:56 PM
Replies: 230 (25398 views)
Last post by: FIEROSMIGLA on 03-28-2016 08:24 PM
FIEROSMIGLA

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone well I'm finally building my first Chop Top Fiero I bought the kit from V8 Archie about a month ago. I'm starting off with a mint 87 GT only 50,000 miles . You will see in the pictures below the car is exactly how I purchased it . I spent some time making sure everything was 100% working and now it's time to start. I owned over 100 Fieros since I was 17 I'm 39 now I do ground up restoration I usually sell my GT's on ebay . I purchased a ton of items from Doug at the Fiero Warehouse and Mr Mikes both great guys !! I am very pleased with V8 Archies do it yourself kit it's comming along great so far ,the roof is ready to weld. Here are some pics I'm heading on vacation so I will be posting some more pics in about 2 weeks. It will be black with 19"s Dougs Chin spoiler and eibach lowering springs to start . Enjoy the pics Thanks everyone Ron

87 Fiero GT ( Chop top in progress) Med Red will be Black
08 Corvette Z06 Black
10 Camaro SS Black
07 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door 35's and tons of mods.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, but you are in the "MALL" section. Selling something?
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by couldahadaV8:

Very nice, but you are in the "MALL" section. Selling something?

The constuction zone doesn't allow you to post any suggestions no other category applies to this topic. Any help would be appreciated !

redwingshat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redwingshatSend a Private Message to redwingshatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually this kinda stuff in posted in General Fiero Chat
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROSMIGLA:
The constuction zone doesn't allow you to post any suggestions no other category applies to this topic. Any help would be appreciated !

Hi Ron! Last time I saw you, you were still living in Belle Vernon! As far as where this should have been posted....probably in General Fiero Chat. Once you had a good start on the thread, you could have PM'd Cliff, and if he felt it fit, he would have moved it to the Construction Zone.

------------------

86 GT 4 Speed
"Sucks to be me..."

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

Hi Ron! Last time I saw you, you were still living in Belle Vernon! As far as where this should have been posted....probably in General Fiero Chat. Once you had a good start on the thread, you could have PM'd Cliff, and if he felt it fit, he would have moved it to the Construction Zone.

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA

324 posts
Member since Nov 2008

Thanks I sent him a email , I've been all over the place I moved from Belle Vernon ,PA to Mill Hall, PA then to Painted Post, NY then Fayetteville ,NC and now finally where I always wanted to live just a few miles from the Beach in New Smyrna Beach ,Fl. I always look take good info from this forum but I rarely every post. This forum was always the best. Good to hear from you and I appreciate the advise. Hope I can get this topic moved.

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump Up
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks awesome Ron !

Can't wait to see it in person some day.

BTW sent those seat pics.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, when Archie started selling these, I was hoping someone would do a build thread.
I hope he still has them for sale when I make it back stateside. Only 30 months.

Is it bad that I want to buy my Mom a house, Not to be the good son. But so I can say, "this corner of the garage is for Fiero parts, that spot in the backyard is for my Boat" I would reduce the rent for her!

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com 87 Gt-5spd-62k miles.

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just start a new thread in the tech section. Once it gets enough traffic, Cliff will move it to the construction zone. Your work looks great but I got to say - choppin a 50k car is kinda sad to me. I'm sure it will be very nice when complete.

Pat

PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Job.
it looks like you have a great start on it. the chop is not that hard to do it is the welding and body work that will take the time.
I look forward to seeing it on the road.
D.
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump so it doesn't get lost.
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be posting more pictures mid next week all welding is complete, fiberglass work is started. Everything is going well!

Thanks Ron
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope it goes well for you, and I wish the project the best of luck...

That said... I cry when I see any modifications to a 50k survivor...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, well I agree it was a tuff decision to chop a 50,000 miles GT but I wanted a flawless GT to start with. I plan to put a ton of money into this GT but I also plan to keep the stock motor. Clean rust free GTs are so hard to find even the battery tray is rust free on this one . I can definately appreciate your comment on saving original Fieros. Ron
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see that Archie is selling the Chop top kit.

A lot of people were ruining their cars because they didn't have the know how to do chop a Fiero, but went ahead and did it anyway. With Archie's help I'm sure this will turn out okay. Can't wait to see it finished.

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fiberglass work has started I will have bettter pics this week.

08 Corvette Z06 Black
10 Camaro SS Black
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Making some progress on the Chop top also bought a set of 19" wheels and tires. I will keep the pictures rolling . Thanks for looking Ron

08 Corvette Z06 Black
10 Camaro SS Black
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of sanding!!!

08 Corvette Z06 Black
10 Camaro SS Black
PFF
System Bot
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guy
That looks like one heck of a project, I see that you live in New Smyrna, Give a holler when you get this done. I live in Daytona Bch.
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see you deleted the top seam, sweet!

Dave

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 08-21-2010).]

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

I see you deleted the top seam, sweet!

Dave

Actually the seam is still there , had to cut the roof skin and then fiberglass it so it could be a perfect seam. There is too much body flex and would cause cracks if it was solid. The yellowish color is actually tape which makes it look like one piece. I will update the pics next week so you can see. Its a ton on fiberglass work.

08 Corvette Z06 Black
10 Camaro SS Black

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually the seam is still there , had to cut the roof skin and then fiberglass it so it could be a perfect seam. There is too much body flex and would cause cracks if it was solid....

I have done the roof seam delete and it is fine. Pontiackid86 on here bought an 87 that had the seam deleted also and he had no issues with cracking. I guess it is all in the person doing the work. Since you know how to fiberglass, if you fiberglass it together, you should be fine. Nice job by the way
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I have done the roof seam delete and it is fine. Pontiackid86 on here bought an 87 that had the seam deleted also and he had no issues with cracking. I guess it is all in the person doing the work. Since you know how to fiberglass, if you fiberglass it together, you should be fine. Nice job by the way

Wish I would have looked into that more a deleted seam would look great thanks for the info I will probably do that when I build another one.

08 Corvette Z06 Black
10 Camaro SS Black

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA

324 posts
Member since Nov 2008
These are just cheap fastback windows that were on the GT when I bought it . I'm using them as a template for my new FB windows.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2010 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Coming along nice !

Looking forward to more progress.
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Coming along nice !

Looking forward to more progress.

Thanks I didn't forget about those seats I still need them I am off this weekend I will email you. I'm making the fasback windows tuck under the rear clip it gives a very clean look, and now I'm looking at doing a seemless roof thanks to IMSA GT I couldn't stop thinking about it after you mentioned it.. Man it's dusty inside.

------------------
87 FIERO GT ( CHOPT TOP IN PROGRESS)
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good, gota love the fiberglass and bondo dust
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I decided to not do a seamless roof , The roof is ready to prime my buddy who is helping me build this project made the roof line even better than factory I will have some more detailed pics this week when the roof skin and rear clip gets painted. I still have a good bit to do but its getting close all the difficult stuff is done.There was two low spots from the factory in the roof, got those filled in so it doesn't look like it has dents. I'm painting it black using GM 8555 paint code the same paint code as my Vette and Camaro. A few more pics for ya! The good pics should start rolling the end of next week.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

PFF
System Bot
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More pics

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice, you will love the way the choptop fits around you when sitting in one...

------------------
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8 ~4T6OE
SmoothGT~II

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SMTHGT:

very nice, you will love the way the choptop fits around you when sitting in one...

I can't wait to sit in it , I never sat in a chop top ever so I'm definately looking forward to it. Some more pics for all of you.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow !

Really coming together. Love the wheels btw !
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roof skin is painted!! More pics to come!

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is awsome! I am about to embark on this endeavor myself.

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

This is awsome! I am about to embark on this endeavor myself.

Did you buy the Archie kit?

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you buy the Archie kit?

Not yet but I hope to buy it by the end of the month.
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2010 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Side Scoops from Fiero Warehouse, Thanks Doug got them Friday! Working on innner sail panels today , rear clip, inner sails and side scoops should get painted this week.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page