notchie/fastback hybrid chop by av8fiero
Started on: 04-29-2009 11:47 PM
Replies: 122 (6673 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 09-18-2016 10:54 AM
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to get my can down there and sort out that fiberglass for ya, get a grinder ready! maybe next weekend.
IP: Logged
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the Sebring windshield mod will be a good fit. Not for the week at heart but I'm sure you will get it done. It does make a big difference.
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

I think the Sebring windshield mod will be a good fit. Not for the week at heart but I'm sure you will get it done. It does make a big difference.

I partially fitted the glass today. I didn't slide the glass as far forward as I believe you did. I MAY be able to leave the latch and the emergency antidecapitation pins in the factory positions. I will have to move the wipers forward as you did but not as far as you had to. I won't have to shorten the hood nearly as much as you did either, it looks like I'll have to trim about 2 inches off the back edge of the hood for wiper clearance. Right now I can latch the hood and it sits flush with the glass, it looks kind of cool but obviously no wiper clearance. I'll get some pics up tomorrow
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rain x solved
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics of the car after unburying it from the junk pile on top of it

[img]

Here are some pics of the glass after working the top edge to fit

Here are a few pics of the tailights, notice anything different?

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 08-09-2012).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look good being red all the way across

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, did you use one from a coupe or a convertible? what year? They are different. Mine does look to come out more but if we used the same windshield it should fit the same.
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to get out and drive that thing!!!

Last registered in 06'

WTH...

Steve
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

Looks good, did you use one from a coupe or a convertible? what year? They are different. Mine does look to come out more but if we used the same windshield it should fit the same.
I used a coupe windshield off of a 1999 I think, I've had it for awhile and don't remember exactly. It measures about 35 inches from top edge to bottom edge near the center. It's about 4-5 inches longer than a factory windshield. I did move the glass higher up the roof about 1 inch to make it a bit easier fab wise in the cowl area.

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

You need to get out and drive that thing!!!

Last registered in 06'

WTH...

Steve

Hey Steve! How's it going? Yes you are right I need to get this thing on the road, I'll take your comments as MOTIVATION. I'm working on it! Thanks for calling me and my garage turd out!

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 08-09-2012).]

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok that explains a little. When i get back to were the car is i will get measurements.
Blacktop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktopSend a Private Message to BlacktopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would never even HOPE to fit in that thing, my 6'2" tall domepeice is already grazing the headliner in my stock notchie.

That said, holy hell it looks NICE!
PFF
System Bot
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was looking at the windshield today, and previously I had slid the top edge up the roof line about an inch higher than stock and was thinking if one inch is good two inches will be even better. I cut out the roof to allow this and now I WILL be able to keep the stock latch and safety pins. With the hood closed, at the bottom edge it still fits the same as it did with the windshield only raised an inch as there is now just less glass up under the hood edge. An added plus is it fits much better on the A-pillars now. I will still have to shorten the hood and move the wiper system forward, but now I have plenty of room to pull that off without interference with anything else. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here's some pics of the car and Rob laying some tape on it. We didn't accomplish much besides empting some beer cans

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
progress coming soon after the holidays, I just dug the car out from the pile it was buried under
TRiAD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old topic, but hoping for updates.
LOVE what you're doing with this!
Subscribing.

------------------
~Michael
'85 GT 4sp white - SOLD | | '85 2M6 Auto red - SOLD | | '84 2M4 bare chassis - SOLD
Crap, I'm out of Fieros! Time to buy another!! - "Your mileage may vary."
WTB: Formula 5sp

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TRiAD:

Old topic, but hoping for updates.
LOVE what you're doing with this!
Subscribing.

Actually just got off phone about it, I told Chris to get it up to my place so I can do more work!! He should take pics, I have the left rear reshaped and in the genral shape of were it will end up. SO far the look is very close to the ppg cars only chopped, that was the look I was going for when re working the fiberglass Chris has done.
TRiAD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEET! Always loved the PPG cars!

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This summer it will be done. Progress soon to come
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

This summer it will be done. Progress soon to come

Get to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Less Vacation MORE WORK!

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 07-27-2013).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do like the looks of the notch front & rear with the fastback. It looks great!
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Here are some new pics. I have the headlights where I want them. I still have to play around with the cover, but they're all mounted up solid and straight.

Here are the pics of my cable actuated rear decklid release. I used the handle and cable assy for the front Fiero decklid on the rear latch. It bolts up to the latch like it's factory. I ran the cable through the drivers side support rib. I drilled a hole near the hinge for the cable to enter the rib, and another hole inside the sealed area of the trunk for the cable to exit the rib so the trunk is weather tight. I may change the position of the release handle. Right now the handle is on the rear bulkhead behind the drivers seat.

Mike here are the pictures of the reverse chop doors you asked for. The extended top half of the door panels are my point of consternation right now as making large smooth fiberglass panels is not my strong suit.

Here are the pictures of the structure. I only raised the outer dew wipe, the inner wipe is in it's original position. The windows go up and down perfectly fine in this arrangement. I will modify the inner door panels to cover the area exposed by the raised dew wipes/door panels

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

That's it for now. LOT'S more to go

I love those lights!!!!!!!!!
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very sweet project. to me it seems like a GM variation, like a prototype that could have been. The Saturn lights work well.
I hope I get to see this car at some shows when its ready!

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-01-2013).]

evowake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for evowakeSend a Private Message to evowakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome build. i really wish i had the time and patience to do something like this!
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sure hope the work is continuing on this awesome build. I am always amazed by how many craftsmen we have here on the forum. I only wish I had the skills and space to take on such a cool project. I love stock fieros and mods alike and believe builds like this really enrich all of us and the love for these unique cars.

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the progress and final outcome!

------------------
My Fiero...

88 Yellow CJB #182 of 1252 formula

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And get that thing up here!!!!!!!
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

You're not the first one to do your headlights like that. There's a guy here in Arkansas who also has the same setup.

As far as the legality, I don't think he's been stopped for them.

Your build looks awesome. Good luck!

Most don't know the fiero and probably think it's stock that's why
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, the headlights are the worst part about this project too me.

I love the chop, love the rear quarter windows, I love all the custom work done to the car.
But those headlights-- they don't work for me.
Nothing about them says Fiero, at least they're from another GM car, I guess.

Still, I can't wait to see it done.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Personally, the headlights are the worst part about this project too me.

I love the chop, love the rear quarter windows, I love all the custom work done to the car.
But those headlights-- they don't work for me.
Nothing about them says Fiero, at least they're from another GM car, I guess.

Still, I can't wait to see it done.

Ya me either, it looks to much star trek style for me.
but not my car, so they may do what they like :P
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally this project WILL get finished this summer. I sold my Oshkosh home and now the car is at my friend Rob's place. I can no longer let it sit and be ignored as it now HAS to get finished. As soon as the weather warms up and we finish the rottenchop project we will start work on this project. Updates will follow within the next few months....

.....Yeah some may not like the lights and that's ok. Everyone has their own opinion and won't necessarily like the way they look. The car is still not finished yet so give it a chance and wait to see how it looks when it's finished, you may change your mind. If not, that's ok
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sSo, while the Rottin chop is away getting it's heart transplant we decided to take a whack at the reworking of Chris's body work to make it flow nice and above all be finished!!!! So here is a sneak peak of the first steps of were i am going with the redo of the hips and sail window area. This is rough as I have yet to finalize a few things but the basic shape is there.

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you are spreading the Wisconsin love around! So to speak...
PFF
System Bot
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rob I'm planning on coming up this Saturday. Will that work?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fabrication skills of some people on this forum always amaze me! Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished car. As far as the Saturn lights go, I think its fitting since Saturn used the space frame/ polymer body concept that was pioneered by Fiero.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Rob I'm planning on coming up this Saturday. Will that work?

Yup. I just have to pick up the girls from the camp bus but that takes all of a few minutes .

You may not recognize the hip
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like what you did with the buttresses! It reminds me of a PPG Fiero.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PatrickTRoof:

I like what you did with the buttresses! It reminds me of a PPG Fiero.

Thanks, that is sorta the look we are going for but not exactly as the hip does not extent totally to the door

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well life and lack of time have gotten into the way of completing the car this year. Some progress has been made though, Rob has alot of my poor fiberglassing repaired and right. I purchased a new factory windshield and eliminated the sunroof. I'm scrapping the Sebring windshield for now as F355spider was right, it's alot of work to make it fit right and this project needs to get done. I may change the headlights too, we'll see on that. The car is hibernating till spring now but it will be done. someday LOL!

------------------
1988 CHOPTOP V8

Local club http://www.foxvalleyfieros.webs.com/
Facebook club page http://www.facebook.com/gro...?gid=141412865904993
N.I.F.E. member #461 Chris M http://www.fierofocus.com/

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 11-24-2014).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time to come out of hibernation

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - "Trailered" back from California going to be restored (in storage)
1986 GT, highly modified engine/exhaust, but slave/clutch issue - Trailered back from Las Cruces, NM Chop-top candidate (in storage)
1986 SE, bought locally, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate (in storage)
6-11-2014 acquisition - 1987 GT Tangerine/Silver

Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2016 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AND THEN? POOF the car is gone like so many other Fiero projects on this site.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Inferno:

AND THEN? POOF the car is gone like so many other Fiero projects on this site.

Nah a lot of the projects you speak of are probably just on hold due to time, money, and other responsibilities. Keep the faith.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock