notchie/fastback hybrid chop by av8fiero
Started on: 04-29-2009 11:47 PM
Replies: 122 (6673 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 09-18-2016 10:54 AM
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello, here are some pics of my chop in progress, long way to go but getting there, i just rough fitted the gt decklid vents to the notchie decklid. also the headlights are just roughed in, still need to be straightened out some but you get the idea. lots of body work left. let me know what you think.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

here's a couple pics of factory glass in a 3 inch chop

thanks, chris

------------------
88blackchopv8

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks really cool! I like it.

I'm not sure those lights are legal though. I don't remember the exact number, but headlights have to be a certain distance off the ground.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i like it to damn nice idea. there is a hight requirement in PA i know of but no cop enforces it.
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah the lights are probably illegal, but they look awesome, they should look even better once i have them lined up and even. i have a bunch of cop buddies up here by me so i should be able to get away with it. looks too cool not to try

------------------
88blackchopv8

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 04-30-2009).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

yeah the lights are probably illegal, but they look awesome, they should look even better once i have them lined up and even. i have a bunch of cop buddies up here by me so i should be able to get away with it. looks too cool not to try

you should be fine with them theres som thing that are in the law that dont have any way of testing the law such as some noise violations. you should be alright plus i could see if it was some fartcanned ricer but cops seem to like american cars.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i have a bunch of cop buddies up here by me so i should be able to get away with it. looks too cool not to try

I can't catch those kind of breaks...the cops stop me for no reason then look the car over with a fine tooth comb for something to write me up.
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I can't catch those kind of breaks...the cops stop me for no reason then look the car over with a fine tooth comb for something to write me up.

your tax dollars hard at work. i should be fine if i don't go too far, but we'll see what happens when i take it out of town. the cops are pretty decent up here as long as they don't catch me being a doorknob

------------------
88blackchopv8

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

lol you cant win in texas from what iv herd.

Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I've been waiting to see a notchie-fastback hybrid for years. The only one I saw prior is from pisahq.com, and only 2 pics exist of it. Yours looks miles better than it!!
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're not the first one to do your headlights like that. There's a guy here in Arkansas who also has the same setup.

As far as the legality, I don't think he's been stopped for them.

Your build looks awesome. Good luck!
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah i knew i wasn't first with the headlights. i've seen a couple pics on here with something similar. mine look to be a little more recessed into the bumper than that one you're showing here, but it's very similar-looks good! thanks for the encouraging compliments from all. they really help me to get this project done. hope to have it in primer at least before the end of summer. i'm working mostly on the decklid and 1/4 windows right now.

thanks again all, chris

------------------
88blackchopv8

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-30-2009 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am really digging the notchie/GT idea. What a great concept of the two. Good luck to you and this build.

------------------

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good..........You can really see how muck the windows need to change when you do a choptop. Looking forward seeing the car when it's done.........I know they are never done.

------------------

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here's a few more pics

thanks, chris

------------------
88blackchopv8

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's about time somebody started thinking outside the box! Great job and imagination on doing something "unique."

Question(s); What shape do you plan on using for the sail window? Stock or modified? Please say, "modified." What color do you plan on using? Once you buy the Rodney/Archie windows ( I hope they fit) everything should be fine.

------------------

"I drive modified Fieros- anything less would be uncivilized."

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
archie/rodneys side glass should work in my car. the curve in the glass is what i'm after. i'm fully aware i'll have to do some fiddling for a good fit as my car isn't an exact copy of archies chop. i have seen some of archies chops and they appear to be close enough. bottom line is i'll get them to work and fit properly. as for the 1/4 windows i'm definitely going to need custom stuff. the lower edge of my windows will curve opposite what a "standard gt chop" would curve. i haven't made up my mind yet as to what i'm going to do with them. any suggestions? i'd love to here what you have in mind [your cars are GORGEOUS! by the way]. i have quite a few mods i'm thinking about. i like the smooth look, i'm not into all the ducts and vents and wings on my car. i'm even going to eliminate the air intake on the drivers side. i'm also going to flare out the rear a bit more [about 1 and 1/2 inches per side] to get some more rubber under the back, but i'm going to stay away from the side ground effects. i like the coupe body lines and i'm trying to stay close to that. i will also be building a front spoiler similar to an sd4 notchie style, but fitted and contoured for the 87-88 notchie nose. the car will be black when finished. nothing beats black on a straight car as far as i'm concerned. it should be slick and evil all rolled into one when done.

thanks for the compliments, chris

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 04-30-2009).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pics of what is hiding under the blanket, please!

diggin' the headlights BTW.
Kinda reminds me of second gen Knight Rider.
http://www.flickr.com/photo...erncomas/2509942496/
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for the 1/4 windows I'm definitely going to need custom stuff. the lower edge of my windows will curve opposite what a "standard gt chop" would curve. I haven't made up my mind yet as to what i'm going to do with them... any suggestions? i'd love to here what you have in mind [your cars are GORGEOUS! by the way].

thanks for the compliments, chris

Originally posted by Archie:Then it's time to address the tops of the doors.

Curley wanted the top edge of the door to get taller as it goes back into the quarter window area. So we cut off the top of another door skin & did some trial fitting.......

Here's what it looks like before we glass it in......

Archie

IMO the best way to change the over-all look of the sail window is to: ramp it up! Once the door cap have been glassed on-- you can then use your imagination as-to how you want to form the window. IMO I would do something similar (not the same) to the Plasma Fiero. Most if not all newer cars have higher door caps (or so it seems to me).

Otherwise, leaving the sail window as-is doesn't match the area, because you've used the notchie rear clip (shorter end due to tail lamps).

edit: darn pics where hard to find, hehe.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-30-2009).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! Any chance on more detailed pics of the light mod... I have an 88 coupe and think that would be cool (might move them in further to keep the turn signals).

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't read the whole thread but will the decklid clear the clip when it is in the open position? Nice project byyhe way, I like it so far.
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i don't know if i'm going to go that extreme with my quarter windows. i'm going to get some 1/8 plexi to experiment with until i get the shape i want. since the bodywork isn't finished it's hard to see that curve on the bottom edge of the window area. i think it will look good if i just have some lexan that follows that curve. we'll have to see how it goes.........as for the headlights they are from either a 94 cutlass or grand prix, i bought the headlight buckets/ brackets off ebay i cant remember just what car they were from. i do still have to work out the turnsignals. i was thinking of finding some smaller ones an mounting them inboard of the headlights. when i start working on them again i'll take some pics with the cover off...............yes the deck lid opens and closes and clears the clip. i did have to cut the corners. a gt fastback has a narrower decklid. i will be doing some work with the inner gt sail panels to make everything fit together, clear, and look like a factory option. i already have a plan for this and will post pics of what i'll be doing.

thanks, chris

------------------
88blackchopv8

PFF
System Bot
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I haven't made much progress this summer with my fiero as I have been mostly messing around with my boat. Not much has changed since the last pictures I posted showing the fastback gt decklid vents incorporated into a notchie decklid.

Now I'm working on wiring up the headlights and figuring out what I'm going to do about front turn signals. The headlights/bucket mounts are pretty much finished except for their final alignment. I have plenty of adjustability built into the mounts so that won't be an issue. Very little trimming of the factory bumper cover honeycomb/support was necessary to mount these lights.THe mounts are solid and I should have no issue with headlight shake going down the road. Once i have the final positioning worked out I'll disassemble and clean up the minor suface rust. Here are some pics with the bumper cover removed revealing how I mounted the lights

------------------
88blackchopv8

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 10-17-2009).]

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Verrry nice... I love modified choptops... Any update pictures..??

------------------

Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8 ~4T6OE
SmoothGT~II

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here are some pics, I finally started messing with the car again

------------------
88blackchopv8

mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
reminds me a little of the 91 ta

[URL=http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/543000-543999/543267_4_full.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/543267&usg=__Q9pwaX3lZRRxYLlER17m3QvXYkg=&h=382&w=575&sz=44&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=FZ9_AKypx-oA3 M:&tb]http://www.google.com/imgre...d=FZ9_AKypx-oA3M:&tb[/URL]

[This message has been edited by mtownfiero (edited 07-30-2010).]

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the lights on the bumper, very stealth looking.

Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
loving the overhang, can't wait to see those lights lit.
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2010 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here are some progress pics. I also have the headlights wired up and working, I still have some playing with them/cleanup to do yet but they are functional.

------------------
88blackchopv8

http://www.foxvalleyfieros.webs.com/

GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2010 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its looking good! Are you doing this on your own or with some form of a chop kit?
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

Its looking good! Are you doing this on your own or with some form of a chop kit?

I chopped my car on my own several years ago. As you can tell I haven't been working very fast on it. Right now as you can see in the pictures I'm working on the doors. I've raised the top edge of the door about 2 inches. My chop is similar enough to Archies that I was able to buy and use his side glass windows in my car. These windows fit my car and followed the curve of the pillars perfectly except for a slight difference at the very front where the window rides on the seals. The side glass is the only part of my chop that I didn't fab myself. Archie's chop kit is what I would recommend if you're planning on doing one. If you like fabbing up your own stuff get a junk chassis to practice on. If you have any questions about doing a chop I'll try to answer them

------------------
88blackchopv8

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 09-10-2010).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow...I'm trying REALLY hard to resist the temptation to chop my top. You guys AREN'T helping matters much!!
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe 22 inches from the center of the headlights is the federal minimum.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031229-1-033524.html has a couple non-chopped fastback notchies including a couple from IRM.

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 09-10-2010).]

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

I believe 22 inches from the center of the headlights is the federal minimum.

About 15 inches, probably not legal, but I have a bunch of cop friends around here. I'll take my chances and see how it goes as this isn't a daily driver

------------------
88blackchopv8

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey chris I see u go the doors sorted out ill have to come down and take a look see now that they are done when are we gona make the skins? or are u going to just screw the top skin to the bottom one under the trim line? i think we could use body glue to hold them together instead of making fiberglass shells like we talked, looks like we should start final bodywork soon I m almost done w steves fiero and the vette project so ill have tons of time prob soon as next month! if ya want stop by sat afternoon steve will be here grabbin his parts from me and helpin sort out the oil leak in the gt ya sold me I think the distributer o ring took a dump! simple fix!
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jetsnvettes2000

3311 posts
Member since Dec 2009
far as your lights u will just have to run hoby plates and then u can get away w them
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2010 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

far as your lights u will just have to run hoby plates and then u can get away w them

Yes I will be running hobbyist plates on the car so hopefully the lights won't be an issue......yes I am going to try gluing the door panels together with that flex panel repair stuff. If it doesn't work I'll be making a fiberglass panel for it

------------------
88blackchopv8

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is being bujped from page 16.... Can you imagine that..??? UPDATE..???
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris your car needs a spoiler to complete the package! No risers just the Spoiler deadmounted to the decklid for that Visualy pleasing look
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramsespride:

Chris your car needs a spoiler to complete the package! No risers just the Spoiler deadmounted to the decklid for that Visualy pleasing look

No big spoilers for me, I MAY glass in a small lip spoiler but that is low on my priorty list right now. I just got back from a long weekend traveling to a U.S.G.A. gymastics meet with my daughter. Her meets and training schedules have been taking up alot of my freetime and I've had zero time to play with the car thus the long delay for progress on it. I will be working on it this Friday if all goes as planned. I hope to make some progress on the doors and rear quarters. I'll post up my progress if I get to it

------------------
BLACKKER 1988 choptop v8

N.I.F.E. member #461 Chris M
http://www.fierofocus.com/

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 10-11-2010).]

scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2010 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to come see this some day
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock