IRM Fastback conversion? by Stinkin_V8
Started on: 09-08-2003 02:35 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Kento on 09-08-2003 08:21 PM
Stinkin_V8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
I was leafing through some of my old (circa 1986-90) Kit Car mags last night, looking for a Fiero fastback conversion I had seen a LONG time ago. Note that this is not a copy of the factory fast back, it's an original design.

I came across one from IRM. I assume this is the same IRM in existance now or at least a descendant in some way, but couldn't find any info on this fastback in any of their online stuff.

It seems to me that there was another company who had a fastback kit, I think there was a complete build-up in one of these old Kit Car mags but I just can't find it. Anyone remember any of these old kits?

------------------
When life hands you lemons... Ask for Tequila and salt.

'85 SE V6 4-Spd: Mild upgrades
'85 S-10 Blazer: 350 conversion
'78 Corvette: ragtop conversion
'52 Suburban: IFS, AWD, ABS, EFI, etc..

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rhino88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhino88gtClick Here to visit Rhino88gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rhino88gtDirect Link to This Post
The fiero warehouse www.fierowarehouse.com Bought out IRM and are currently remaking all their products which will include the IMSA fastback kit.

------------------
"HOT, HOTTER, HOTTEST!!!"
Red 88GT 5spd (soon to be a 49er) :D
Gold 87GT 5spd #115 FOR SALE

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Thanks, Rhino. I'd seen the Fiero Warehouse stuff already. The fastback kit I'm talking about was a complete panel replacement, it had no glass and was a little more square-looking than the factory Fiero fastback. It had scoops close to the B-pillar which I assume were functional 'cause the intake below the body seam had been covered over.

I'd scan a pic, but it's about 1" square, black and white and made up of that dotted magazine-style of print.

It is/was a pretty different look for the notchies.

Reality

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RealityClick Here to visit Reality's HomePageSend a Private Message to RealityDirect Link to This Post
The IRM fastback conversion is one of the mold sets that FIero Warehouse picked up. Currently there are no plans to restore these molds and produce parts. Doug does have some parts that were produced before IRM closed their doors. I beleive that this includes two rear clips and two decklids. But you will have to check with him to confirm this. www.fierowarehouse.com
Take care,
Anthony

------------------

Get the Wallpapers here! and Get the T-Shirts here!

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
I think he is talking about the PISA Notchie kit.IS this the one?

------------------
87 2M4 5 spd Daily Driver Project 2m$
86 SE Needs every thing but a Motor & Sunroof Seal!!! Now for Sale! $1200.00
http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Web Master
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.com

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Nope, although that's a pretty cool kit.. No windows in the one I'm talking about. It may have even come out before the factory fastback was even produced.. Thanks, though.
kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
Here is a line drawing of the IRM one:

and yea, Doug has one or two laying around that I checked out at the warehouse about a month ago. Pretty fugly in my opinion, which may explain why there aren't more around (not to mention the HUGE blind spot it creates). The only thing I liked about it is it has an option to increase the size of the trunk since the rear overhang is so much greater. Kinda '90 prototype like.

Ken S.

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Yeah - that the IRM one, thanks. I think it would look better with some sort of countour following the line where the tops of the old fenders used to be. A little more C3 Vette-ish.

I'm sure there was another vendor offering something similar but a little less bulky looking in the back.

[This message has been edited by Stinkin_V8 (edited 09-08-2003).]

Monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonsterSend a Private Message to MonsterDirect Link to This Post
Yup, you're looking for the IRM extended body "fastbacks" - Saw 2 @ IRM...sorta neat in a fugly different sorta way IMHO - a matter of taste.

Like Reality and others said GET IN TOUCH WITH DOUG @ FIEROWAREHOUSE for some info on the panels & cars maybe. He has ALL of the remaining parts & Molds. I know, because I helped remove all of it from IRM's old shop which was just up the road from me. Glad that I didn't have to mess with the unloading - there was a lot of stuff

Reality

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RealityClick Here to visit Reality's HomePageSend a Private Message to RealityDirect Link to This Post
Okay finally got around to pulling out the pictures of the two cars from IRM that we had to move around to get all the parts out to load into the trailers so here you go. . .

This is the Aero design package:

And this one is the Standard design package

Coop9200

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Coop9200Click Here to visit Coop9200's HomePageSend a Private Message to Coop9200Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

I think he is talking about the PISA Notchie kit.IS this the one?

even when that car doesn't exist no more, it still gets attention...

-Coop

PFF
System Bot
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Coop9200:

even when that car doesn't exist no more, it still gets attention...

-Coop

Coop do you still have the parts???? also did you get my darn PM I sent you?

------------------
87 2M4 5 spd Daily Driver Project 2m$
86 SE Needs every thing but a Motor & Sunroof Seal!!! Now for Sale! $1200.00
http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Web Master
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors