Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Making a hood for myself, whatcha think? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Making a hood for myself, whatcha think? by SOULCRUSHER
Started on: 09-09-2007 10:04 AM
Replies: 148 (13943 views)
Last post by: Australian on 10-24-2013 04:48 AM
SOULCRUSHER

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, finally got going on a new hood for the Purple beast. I salvaged a Mustang Cobra hood from a wrecked car at work. Saw that the scoops were still intact and felt" HEY, I can do that!" So here are the eraly stages of the project:

Fitting, I had to cut the two scoops apart and bring them closer together. I bolted them to keep them stationary:

Traced them and started cutting:

Fit again:

Grinding to make the scoops fit flush, tried to save as much bracing as possible:

------------------

1988 Purple Fiero GTw/SC3800 conversion
Best ET with 3.0 pulley,XPHOT cam, SS I/C and 105lb Valve springs: 12.38@110mph
Best 60 Foot ever: 1.699

[This message has been edited by SOULCRUSHER (edited 09-09-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grind down the edges of the scoops and hood like knife edges:

And there you go, a pretty cool hood! Now to finish it:

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks fantastic!
HellYes

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful work. What are the scoops from?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maaan!
You're good!

It's also surprising that the curvature is as close as it is.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-09-2007).]

DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HellYes:

Beautiful work. What are the scoops from?

Originally posted by SOULCRUSHER:

I salvaged a Mustang Cobra hood from a wrecked car at work.

Looks great, might give me inspiration to work on my project hood sitting in the garage!!

[This message has been edited by DanFiero (edited 09-09-2007).]

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to admit it, that is the nicest looking hood modification that I believe I have seen, because it follows the original lines very nicely! How is the hood for strength? Looks like a lot of reinforcement was removed.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. It looks like you're doing a fabulous job!

Nolan
Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks sweet!

------------------
Jaime
<if I had a Fiero, there would be a picture of it here>
AIM: Silvermist09 / YIM: Jaygee79

ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ummm, yeah... very cool to say the least!

I think I've just added another project to my list!

Thank you for sharing, and I really can't wait to see it on the car and painted...

Brett
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I can't wait to see that painted and on the car. I think that is by far the best hood scoop i've seen yet. I've never been sure which way I would want to go with all the scoops out there, but my mind is definately made up now.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really good work and a very nice fit. What year Mustang Cobra are those from?
brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe its 03/04.
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I was really surprised that the curvature was almost perfect when placed on top of the Fiero hood. The scoop is from a 2004 Mustang Cobra, but when I look at my hood, I think it looks more like a Trans Am hood.
It is still pretty stiff, and I am sure it will stiffen up more when I use the two part epoxy and SMC body fillers I will be using. That being said, I may fill the support braces with some expandable oam or something to give a little more support to prevent any cracking. I will post part numbers and names of the products I will be using as soon as I figure that out. I watched my brother (LILDEVIL) do his and through trial and error know what works best.
That being said, I am glad I came across the Cobra hood. I wanted to do scoops like this for some time, but with out a hood to cut the scoops from, it woulda been a nitemare to modify just a Fiero hood. I HOPE this will allow little or no modification to the rubber seal area for sunroof storage.
Thanks for the compliments, keep looking here for updates.
Oh, I also saved the "COBRA" snake emblems from the fenders, I should but them on my fenders,LOL. Piss off some Mustang owners.

[This message has been edited by SOULCRUSHER (edited 09-09-2007).]

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks awesome!
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work on the hood!! I also like the way, you retained the under-side structure. What are you going to use to glue the hood back together? If you need some advice, this is the best stuff, that I have found. It's called 8115 from 3M. It will bond any fiberglass or plastic material together.

Here is the hood mod that I did.

Actually, there is about six tubes of this stuff, all over my Fiero.

Edit: I see you might have this under control. You work at a body shop. My bad!

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 09-10-2007).]

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gordo said. When it's painted it's going to look factory. Nicely done.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Gordo:

I have to admit it, that is the nicest looking hood modification that I believe I have seen, because it follows the original lines very nicely! How is the hood for strength? Looks like a lot of reinforcement was removed.

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Darn double posts......................

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 09-09-2007).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mikey likes it!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very, very, nice.
BekaintaFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BekaintaFunkSend a Private Message to BekaintaFunkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man that looks sweeeet! makes me wish i had a project like that to work on
PFF
System Bot
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's Hawt. Wish I could get my Trans Am vents to fit flush, and they're so dinky compared to yours....

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.
------------------
John DuRette
Custom 85 SE/86 GT
"Kinda makes you nostalgic for a Members Only jacket"

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 09-09-2007).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it more then most scoops I've seen. props
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.8SC- Is that a fiberglass scoop molded in, or did you frabricate that from the Fiero hood?
clintyrd skynyrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for clintyrd skynyrdSend a Private Message to clintyrd skynyrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!
Reminds me of a larger version of mine!
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SOULCRUSHER:

3.8SC- Is that a fiberglass scoop molded in, or did you frabricate that from the Fiero hood?

The scoop is made from the fake scoops that are from a 98 Firebird. The scoops were cut a 1/4" on the inside edge and glued together. Then blended into the Fiero hood, much like you have done. I did lengthen the scoop, towards the windshield, to get it to blend right. The other goal was to get the under-side to look as good as the top-side.

Yes, that is the rear deck lid in the background!

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 09-09-2007).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks Great. You did a very good job. It will look great on your Fiero. I wish I had one on my Fiero GT.
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I've been looking for!!! That's sweet. Looking forward to seeing it one color.

Bob
fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

I like it more than most scoops I've seen. Props.

Ditto.
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks sick. Very nice work.

Dave
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't look right to me. If you want, I'd be willing to trade my hood for that junky one you have there so you can start over with something else. It's the least I can do to help a fellow PFF member out...
PFF
System Bot
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great and excellent work.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.8SC- post some pics of your rear decklid, thanks for the compliments guys, now the pressure is on to make it look perfect when finished. The underside will probably not be as clean as 3.8SC's.
Ordered the FUSOR T21 bonding epoxy today and UPOL SMC body filler. Should be here on Thursday.
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SOULCRUSHER

1012 posts
Member since May 2004
F-I-E-R-O, your in luck, I decided to go in a different direction with the hood, so its yours......................
NOT!!!!
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to learn to glass, I want an extractor hood now!
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No fiberglass will be used on this hood. Fieros are made of SMC composite, not fiberglass as is commonly believed. SMC is like fiberglass, but stronger and lighter. So you need to use SMC specialized epoxies and fillers. Fiberglass won't bond well with the SMC.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one of the better looking ones well done.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crusher, nice work and they look great.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job! Does the Mustang scoops have stock grill inserts in them for a more finished look?
Copper85GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Copper85GTSend a Private Message to Copper85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any idea on how to get those mustang scoops? Junk yard only? Aftermarket? Ford (shudder)?
Might have been already mentioned but I missed it. Great looking job.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock