Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Making a hood for myself, whatcha think? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Making a hood for myself, whatcha think? by SOULCRUSHER
Started on: 09-09-2007 10:04 AM
Replies: 148 (13973 views)
Last post by: Australian on 10-24-2013 04:48 AM
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SOULCRUSHER:

No fiberglass will be used on this hood. Fieros are made of SMC composite, not fiberglass as is commonly believed. SMC is like fiberglass, but stronger and lighter. So you need to use SMC specialized epoxies and fillers. Fiberglass won't bond well with the SMC.

Any recommended products and suppliers? I've been looking for something different to use for a while now...

[This message has been edited by Silicoan86 (edited 09-11-2007).]

IP: Logged
SOULCRUSHER

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

Nice job! Does the Mustang scoops have stock grill inserts in them for a more finished look?

Yes, they do have a plastic grill insert that clips into the opening. HOWEVER, they are not functional. They were just for looks. So I shaved the openings, getting rid of the lip that the grill inserts clip to. I will be using a Black powdercoated grill mesh I found at www.customcargrills.com.

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SOULCRUSHER

1012 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by Copper85GT:

Any idea on how to get those mustang scoops? Junk yard only? Aftermarket? Ford (shudder)?
Might have been already mentioned but I missed it. Great looking job.

The only way i know off is to find a wrecked Cobra with the hood still on it at a junk yard. Thats how I got mine, cut them out of a damaged Cobra Hood we had at work. Believe, me, if I come across another I will cut them out too!
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SOULCRUSHER

1012 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by Silicoan86:

Any recommended products and suppliers? I've been looking for something different to use for a while now...

I will be using products from Lord FUSOR. They are OEM certified for adhsion of SMC panels. For "glueing everything together I will use their T21 epoxy. Then I will use UPOL's SMC body filler to smooth everything out. You should be able to get these from auto repair suppliers.
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are going to make me, write a thread on my Fiero. Aren't you? O.K. I will. But not tonight. I am tired after painting.
So, here are the photos of the rear deck lid.

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was that installed upside down?
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

You guys are going to make me, write a thread on my Fiero. Aren't you? O.K. I will.

Yes please do!!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only way i know off is to find a wrecked Cobra with the hood still on it at a junk yard. Thats how I got mine, cut them out of a damaged Cobra Hood we had at work. Believe, me, if I come across another I will cut them out too!

You should have made a couple molds....

Bob
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

You should have made a couple molds....

Bob

If he doesn't want to I will!!
Kyle1016

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the hood vents, does water effect anything at all?
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump!
PFF
System Bot
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Water should flow into the radiator area. Probably would drip onto the fans, no issues there.

Tommorow i will start "gluing" post pics tommoriw nite.
vortecfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
really nice soulcrusher !
the vents or scoops really look like they were meant to go there..
cant wait for the painted pics

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box
S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the Cobra hoods glass??? Not particularly cheap on Ebay...Nice find from your shop.

Bob
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cobra hoods are SMC, same stuff the Fiero hoods are made of.
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pics of the "glueing". Didn't go quite as I had planned. I would not recommend using the FUSOR T21. Very hard to work with. very thick, and hard to get out of the gun. Then because it was so thick, I had to use vise grips to get the scoops to fit flush. Well, I got a ton of sanding ahead of me.....

[This message has been edited by SOULCRUSHER (edited 09-18-2007).]

F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pics of the "glueing". Didn't go quite as I had planned. I would not recommend using the FUSOR T21. Very hard to work with. very thick, and hard to get out of the gun. Then because it was so thick, I had to use vise grips to get the scoops to fit flush. Well, I got a ton of sanding ahead of me.....

Remember this comment?

F-I-E-R-O, your in luck, I decided to go in a different direction with the hood, so its yours......................
NOT!!!!

Let that be a lesson to all y'all... when you tease F-I-E-R-O, bad things happen.

Seriously, sorry to hear about the way this product has worked out for you so far. I've been thinking about this and was glad when I first saw your post that I had learned about what was thought to be the premium product to use on these projects. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll be watching to see how this turns out, maybe it won't be as bad as you think.

If I can remember some of the hexes I used last night to help the Redskins win over the Eagles, maybe I can come up with something that might help you out on my end. Though one of the hexes did involve having my daughter (an Eagles fan by birth) pull on my finger to simulate a leg injury hex to one of the Eagle players (she didn't realize that she was actually participating in this until after she did it), maybe I can figure something out that might help you----------- but not until you say something nice.
brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump! Anything new on this? I'm really wanting to see it painted and on the car!
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just finished the mud work yesterday, now its ready for primer. Hopefully will get it done soon.
InTheLead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you prime over the glue stuff when it's dry and paint? Or is that simply to bond the back of two panels together.

I have a crack in my rocker panel I was thinking of cutting 1/8" along the crack and filling that with the glue stuff you guys use then painting over.

Nice scoops I wish I could do that sort of work.
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
God i really love them,i have to say thats the best front scoop that looks gr8 and i SSSOOOOOOOOOOOO want them.
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures man!!! And did I mention a mold? And a bump

Bob
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Pictures man!!! And did I mention a mold? And a bump

Bob

Now there's an idea! I hate the idea of hunting down a Cobra hood ($$$) to make this hood vent, not so much afraid of the work. I still think this is the the best looking Fiero hood vent I've seen, hands down. I want one for myself, and by the sounds of it, most others who have seen it are really thinking about it too.

Has a mold been considered at all? Inquiring minds want to know...

Brett

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 10-21-2007).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crusher; that is cool I'm amazed how well they fit the Fiero hood, if you make a mold count me in for a part.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
Fier0Girl

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fier0GirlSend a Private Message to Fier0GirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job on the hood. Make sure to post pictures when everything is completly finished. I'd love to see what it comes out looking like.

------------------

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to be mean, but the reason I made this hood was to make my fiero unique. Besides, making a mold, producing the hoods and the time required would not be in my time constraints, nor would it make me any money.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not to be mean, but the reason I made this hood was to make my fiero unique. Besides, making a mold, producing the hoods and the time required would not be in my time constraints, nor would it make me any money.

Thats cool, I just had to ask.

Joe
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not to be mean...

Sounds mean to me!
AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that looks like crap!
nah, looks pretty good!
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you put those Cobra emblems on there, I'll have to ask you to add the fender port-holes you see on some cars, too! NOT!

That is going to come out nice. I 'll be watching this to see how they come out. You guys do great work!!
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get a chance to get'er primed up??
I can't wait to see this hood all one color!!
Keep up the great work, and I agree with you on keeping it unique!!
Keep us posted.
PFF
System Bot
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That being said, if I do come across another hood I will cut the scoops out and send them to a vender like Fiero Warehouse and have molds made so THEY can sell them. It was too late for this set, ( I already had them molded in) when the idea was thrown at me.

Things are kinda slow at work, maybe I can get my brother to prime it if they stay that way, fingers crossed.
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YEA RIGHT!!!!

------------------
Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6 Intercooled
Best ET: 12.20@ 114.90 mph (street tires)
11.74@115 mph (drag radials)

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

YEA RIGHT!!!!

HAAAAAAA!
vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump just because

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box
S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post03-01-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Need more pics!!
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post03-01-2008 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Need more pics!!
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2008 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monthly bump for pics!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2008 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

any pics of the hood laying on the car yet ?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2008 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odd question: Would a sunroof still fit in the front trunk?

Looks gorgeous btw.

My dream scoop in my head is the scoop out of a Ford GT (not GT 40) on a Fiero. I just remember it mentioned in Top Gear (Supercars in Paris episode) that the front trunk becomes useless because of it. Your scoop is a great compromise between form and function.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock