Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone know of a vendor that sells 3.8 sc exhaust?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone know of a vendor that sells 3.8 sc exhaust? by WhiteLightning
Started on: 09-03-2016 10:31 AM
Replies: 25 (757 views)
Last post by: amflyer on 09-29-2016 07:29 AM
WhiteLightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know of a vendor or someone else who sells complete exhaust kits for Fiero GT with 2000 3.8 SC series 2. Preferably one already welded & just ready to be bolted up. I'm tired of trying to find somebody locally who will weld what I would like welded up. It is the only thing wrong with my car & its driving me nuts trying to get this completed without being robbed. I knew I should have taking a welding class back in high school.

------------------
http://tinypic.com/m/ja7ymo/1

86 Fiero GT - 3800 SC/5 speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only one I know of that does anything with exhaust is West Coast Fiero. I know they do headers that follow the stock Fiero exhaust path, so it's feasible to use them along with your stock muffler and tips. Only issue there is it will cost a bundle. You might try craigs list for your area- might find a "Mobile Welder" that can come by and do the job, or a custom exhaust shop.
amflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of 3800 installs do not sit the engine in the exact location. There is no one that sells a bolt on kit with 3 inch pipes for the 3800. I had a local guy here make the one on our car. He used an old style crush bender machine which was fine for us. Installed a Flow Master muffler and all 3 inch pipe, we finished it off with dual 3.5 inch tail tips,it cannot be seen hanging under the car as a lot of them I have seen. It set us back 700 bucks but the tail pipes bolt on to the stock location and nothing hits any parts of the car. We also did not cut the trunk area in our car to get this done. This was ran from the stock 3800 manifold.

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom\1986 turbo GT
Founder of Mason Dixon Fiero Owners Group
NYFOC Member

WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that's another thing... I do not want to cut my trunk up. I do not have stock Fiero exhaust. Let me see if I can post a pic of my cracked up exhaust.
WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WhiteLightning

59 posts
Member since Jun 2015
[img]This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WhiteLightning

59 posts
Member since Jun 2015
I bought the car already swapped. The guy used the original motor and tranny mounts. They were broken when I bought the car. I went through another set of original ones until I wised up and bought WCF poly motor & tranny mounts. Oh and their poly dogbone for 3800's. But back when my motor was rocking & rolling and scrapping my alternator on the firewall my exhaust was not moving. That caused it to crack & split right where that 180° turn is. My motor doesn't move at all now. Just need to get this exhaust straight.. I want to get rid of the cat & install a muffler instead. But really hard to find someone to do it.
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the West Coast Fiero header system with a single 3" exhaust. You can see pics in the attached link. The 3" exhaust was not installed in the engine pictures, only the headers. The PO gave me the exhaust and I had it installed later. Car has a cat as well as a Spintek muffler. Works well, but the receipts I have show the cost pretty high. Nicely built, however.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...160323-1-090517.html
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there are a few places local that can do custom exhaust, but not the cat delete. the main reason no one will drop the cat and just do a muffler is that in VA its illegal. Unless your running "antique" plates your not likely to find a shop that will do the work. I tried this years ago and it didn't work. Drop me a line and i'll pass your message around to the club.

Rob
qwikgta@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-03-2016).]

ILVMYGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have the West Coast Fiero's headers and exhaust, but in 2 ½ inch. It is a nice set up and does not require cutting the trunk. It all bolts right up and fits correctly. It is well engineered and they get paid for it.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2016 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by amflyer:

A lot of 3800 installs do not sit the engine in the exact location. There is no one that sells a bolt on kit with 3 inch pipes for the 3800. I had a local guy here make the one on our car. He used an old style crush bender machine which was fine for us. Installed a Flow Master muffler and all 3 inch pipe, we finished it off with dual 3.5 inch tail tips,it cannot be seen hanging under the car as a lot of them I have seen. It set us back 700 bucks but the tail pipes bolt on to the stock location and nothing hits any parts of the car. We also did not cut the trunk area in our car to get this done. This was ran from the stock 3800 manifold.

True many 3800 installs sit the engine differently but side to side. There is little room to choose position front to back. That does afftect the exhaust routing but a simple head pipe with a U bend should be able to be built as a trim to size pipe for muffler positon. Of course the exhaust pipes would need to be custom fit. Swaps always seem to come down to a fit and weld job.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2016 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cat removal issue is actually a federal law. Not observed in many places, but it's still an issue, especially for a business. I installed a Magnaflow cat just after the connection to the manifold, a Thrush muffler where your cat is, and it can all fit and be tucked away ( and be legal, so a muffler shop can do it).

Nice thing about having the cat is it makes it sell-able in more parts of the country, should you ever decide to sell the car. With the high flow cats, it really doesn't hurt performance, and it can help reduce some of the drone and noise.

------------------
'87 GT in Swap process: '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e.

PFF
System Bot
amflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2016 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Classic and antiques do not require a cat. This holds true in all 50 states, unless the car has regular registration.

------------------
NYFOC Member

WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2016 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have antique plates.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well in VA you have to have a CAT if the car was built w/ a CAT. The thing about the antique plate is that you no longer have to get a yearly inspection, which would fail you for no CAT. Like its been said 1000 times, a high flow CAT will not hurt performance, I still don't understand why people think the running a car w/out a CAT is the "thing to do". It may get you 1-2 HP and its illegal, so what is the big deal. Put a legal exhaust on the car, one with a high flow CAT and Muffler and be done with it. You will get a much better chance of finding a business that will do the system then if you start the conversation with "id like to get you to install an illegal exhaust on my car, don't worry, i'll pay cash and don't need a receipt". And its going to run you $700 at least, so be prepared.
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
QwikGTA is correct about the price, this is mine and it was $400 in parts (without a cat) and about 4 hours labor to build and install.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 09-05-2016).]

WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is exactly what I want. Same muffler & look. You did not have to cut your trunk correct? What is the part # for the muffler? Did you use one of those exhaust pipe donuts for the 45's?
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteLightning:

That is exactly what I want. Same muffler & look. You did not have to cut your trunk correct? What is the part # for the muffler? Did you use one of those exhaust pipe donuts for the 45's?

No trunk cutting. Muffler is a Magnaflow 12267, we used a 3" U bend and took a little out from the middle with a 3" mesh and a 3" 90*. Also 2 2-1/2" 90* L's, and a pair of tips. All stainless and all from Summit.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 09-06-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2016 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My exhaust mirrors the design of the system used by JCircs, except that my exhaust flex is provided by spring brackets and uses the Spintech muffler that is a bit smaller. The Spintech muffler clears the trunk heat shield and the exhaust fits without cutting the trunk . Don't know if the heat shield really helps or not but figured that it can't hurt to keep it.
This short exhaust system gives a pretty significant rumble and I often wonder how the 14" Spintech sounds in comparison to the 18" Magnaflow.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-06-2016).]

WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2016 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told yesterday by a muffler shop that my car has to have a cat on it. So I was like no worries I will get one of those tiny ones off eBay. Oh no! You can't use those. There is a formula you have to go by when putting a cat on your car. In the formula you have to include your engine size (3800), the weight of your car & you have to input some numbers from the specs from the year your car was made. I guess you have to go back to 1986 & get what their standards were back then on cats. I was like what the hell? I do not have enough space for a huge ass cat & muffler. This is going to be ridiculous if I try to attempt to do this new exhaust legally.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2016 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad I live in chicago. They dont test any car that is obd 1. No inspections as well. We have a shop right down the street that will do this work for us. Sent a few fiero to them.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2003 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover

amflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2016 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cross the state line and get it made outside VA. I have family in Newport News that does it all the time. Or build your own?

------------------
NYFOC Member

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2016 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteLightning:

I was told yesterday by a muffler shop that my car has to have a cat on it. So I was like no worries I will get one of those tiny ones off eBay. Oh no! You can't use those. There is a formula you have to go by when putting a cat on your car. In the formula you have to include your engine size (3800), the weight of your car & you have to input some numbers from the specs from the year your car was made. I guess you have to go back to 1986 & get what their standards were back then on cats. I was like what the hell? I do not have enough space for a huge ass cat & muffler. This is going to be ridiculous if I try to attempt to do this new exhaust legally.

Did he give you the formula?

Also, you do have enough space, it just requires routing the exhaust in the OE Fiero location, or placing the cat in the factory muffler location, and splitting off after into individual smaller mufflers. Or just build the exhaust yourself with one of the small spun cats like everyone else does and be done with it.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 09-28-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2016 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant you do it like your cracked one is? With just a cat (full size if must be) in the muffler location. No muffler. They Y the pipe to the two exits after it leaves the cat.
WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2016 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Cant you do it like your cracked one is? With just a cat (full size if must be) in the muffler location. No muffler. They Y the pipe to the two exits after it leaves the cat.

That is what I have now. No muffler & a huge cat then Y to the two exhaust tips. I did get my u pipe fixed at a local muffler shop. That is when I told the guy what I wanted to do to my exhaust & showed him some pics off here with the Magnaflow muffler. Then he told me about there is a cat formula & I can't just use any cat. No I did not get the formula from that guy but I might be able to when I get a day off from work. Guy also said my flange & gasket are not right. He said the guy that did the motor swap put a graphite gasket in it. Which I know is wrong. But he said they used a combination of Fiero & GTP flanges. Graphite is from Fiero. They used gm type of studs with Fiero springs & a nut. He said it would work if I have correct sinster metal gasket & correct gm bolts with the correct sized sleeves on them. I don't think GTP's use this type of set up on theirs. The gasket yes, but I think they just have a bolt & nut, no springs because they have flex hose on their exhaust systems.
WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2016 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WhiteLightning

59 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by amflyer:

Cross the state line and get it made outside VA. I have family in Newport News that does it all the time. Or build your own?

As in NC? Wouldn't they go by the federal law too though?
amflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2016 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock