Dash mounting a tablet by Formula350
Started on: 08-13-2016 09:25 PM
Replies: 11 (619 views)
Last post by: darbysan on 02-06-2018 10:48 AM
Formula350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula350Send a Private Message to Formula350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Search turned up nothing.

I am using an old Google Nexus 7 for tuning. My megasquirt ECU has bluetooth, so don't need to worry about cabling. It gets annoying when the tablet flies off the console on corners.

Does anyone have a tablet mounted in or on the dash? Would appreciate some pictures. I've got some ideas, but like to see how others have done it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glue. Lots and lots of glue. Maybe some Gorilla Glue. And duct tape. You can never go wrong with duct tape.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula350:

I am using an old Google Nexus 7 for tuning.

It sounds like you only need a 'temporary' solution for tuning, not a permanent install.

Probably a windshield mount would do the job?
https://www.arkon.com/categ...ar-mount-holder.html

The only 'blank space' in the dash is on the passenger side.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-14-2016).]

Formula350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula350Send a Private Message to Formula350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

It sounds like you only need a 'temporary' solution for tuning, not a permanent install.

Well, a tablet can be used for other things beside tuning the engine. What I would like is a semi-permanent mount that lets me easily remove the tablet for use out of the Fiero.

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Formula350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula350Send a Private Message to Formula350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Decided to go with this Arkon floor mount flex shaft.

[This message has been edited by Formula350 (edited 08-17-2016).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula350:

Decided to go with this Arkon floor mount flex shaft.

I have this mount in both of my Fieros.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the Fiero, my 10" acer tablet fits between the shifter & leans on the dash. Stays put unless I take a corner on two wheels.

For my Suburban, I use this cup mount, works pretty good, tablet has GPS with google maps built in.

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note: Anything attach to or blocking the windshield is illegal in some states/areas.
Is why EZpass etc say put their transponder behind the rear-view mirror.
Why many handicap hang tags often say to remove them during driving.

I know People that have been stopped for inspection/emission stickers mounted too high on the glass.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Note: Anything attach to or blocking the windshield is illegal in some states/areas.

I have to ask.... do you work for the DOT? I just have to ask after reading years of your NUMEROUS posts about DOT regulations. You post any time someone talks about altering or changing:side mirrors, tail lights lenses, tail light bulbs, LED conversions, Headlight Conversions, brake caliper Conversions, Brake booster upgrades and conversions, Tinting, Lettering on the top of the front window, Headlamp bulb replacements, changing headlight housing.......... and now to include tablet mounts!

Are you in this field of work?

As for the tablet sliding, I have mine temporarily in the center console, in front of the shifter resting on the radio bezel. I used one of these NON SLIP PADS under the tablet, and it has never moved once, no matter how hard I corner

It does not have any adhesive on it, it is just real "grippy".... When mine gets dusty, it does not work as well, I just rinse it in the sink and it is as good as new.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 02-05-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a magnetic holder I purchased on Amazon. It is very strong, but so easy to just slap the phone up there. Have them in all my cars now. In the Fiero, mounted it to the right of the AC controls, so it's out of the way, but easily seen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock