Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Glass Chop Top Side Windows Group Buy (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
Glass Chop Top Side Windows Group Buy by Archie
Started on: 04-01-2009 02:38 PM
Replies: 354
Last post by: psychosurfer on 01-05-2013 10:49 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2009 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

OK I'll bite... what is that pic?

dunno

Looks like Gnats
IP: Logged
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2009 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

........ I dont think thats a goo pic to post in a thread about windows madcurl. You dont want people thinking archies windows attract bugs.

madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2009 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

You dont want people thinking archies windows attract bugs.

I guess Archie's windows actually "fits to a gnats azz."
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2009 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
LOL, Be nice Curly, I thought we were under a cease fire for awhile......

Anyways, Archie have you heard from the glass guy if they're done yet? If so is there any time frame as to when you will have them?

p.s. Curly I think you misspelled natt, LOL

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 09-28-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
any new news?
CDubbz88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDubbz88GTSend a Private Message to CDubbz88GTDirect Link to This Post

ditto
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity bump
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cornersonrails:

Bumpity bump

Details please.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Finally, good news.

I'm going to pick up the windows tomorrow (Tuesday)

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-19-2009).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Finally, good news.

I'm going to pick up the windows tomorrow (Tusday)

Archie

Archie, You are my hero!
I can't wait to get them, all glass choptop
PFF
System Bot
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post

Finally, good news.

I'm going to pick up the windows tomorrow (Tuesday)

Archie

allright!! let us know when you have them! thanks archie!
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure they will be worth the wait!!!

Jim
CDubbz88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CDubbz88GTSend a Private Message to CDubbz88GTDirect Link to This Post
would you prefer for us to pick these up or are you shipping, 1 off glass pieces?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I just got home from picking up the windows.

700+ miles in 13 hours...... I'll unload the crates tomorrow.

The plan here is to install the windows into 4 or 5 Chops we already have here & develop some video instructions to go with them.

That process will start tomorrow morning.

I also have to figure out the best way to ship them. I have to figure out wether to build wooden crates or buy appropriately sized cardboard boxes & what packing material will keep the windows safe.

I had ordered 25 sets, they only successfully completed 20 sets. A total of 19 sets are spoken for. So we can't afford to have any broken in shipment.

Originally posted by CDubbz88GT:

would you prefer for us to pick these up or are you shipping, 1 off glass pieces?

Shipping costs were not included in the initial pricing because I had no weight or sizing for the containers they will ship in & it's hard to quote shipping without that info..

I can & will ship them to the people who want me to, but it's going to take a few days to get it all figured out here.

Anyone on the list who wants to pick them up here is more than welcome to & they'll also save some packing & shipping costs.

I'll have more info in just a couple of days.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-20-2009).]

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Great news Archie! I would like to pick mine up as I will be in the area sunday. Are you available for a sunday pickup at your shop? Let me know.

Thanks, Chris
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I can meet you Sunday.

I'm sending you a PM

Originally posted by av8fiero:

Great news Archie! I would like to pick mine up as I will be in the area sunday. Are you available for a sunday pickup at your shop? Let me know.

Thanks, Chris

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

What happened Archie that they were only able to complete 20 ?
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post

I also have to figure out the best way to ship them. I have to figure out wether to build wooden crates or buy appropriately sized cardboard boxes & what packing material will keep the windows safe.

I had ordered 25 sets, they only successfully completed 20 sets. A total of 19 sets are spoken for. So we can't afford to have any broken in shipment.

Shipping costs were not included in the initial pricing because I had no weight or sizing for the containers they will ship in & it's hard to quote shipping without that info..

Archie

If you're shipping them use a simple crate. Also somewhat suspend them in the middle. Glass of course is fragile as hell and shippers..... Well you know. DON'T CARE. Flat boxes get laid down, arrows and fragile signs get ignored etc etc etc. I think Mike had a couple trials get destroyed in shipping to his house they were boxed and bundled still broke every last one. And then shipping them out in cardboard one got tagged but all crates made it fine. Just FYI.

Stu
CDubbz88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CDubbz88GTSend a Private Message to CDubbz88GTDirect Link to This Post
deff going to road trip on up archie, not sure when yet though...
thanks for your hard work and efforts!!!!!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I just got home from picking up the windows.

700+ miles in 13 hours...... I'll unload the crates tomorrow.

The plan here is to install the windows into 4 or 5 Chops we already have here & develop some video instructions to go with them.

That process will start tomorrow morning.

I can & will ship them to the people who want me to, but it's going to take a few days to get it all figured out here.

Anyone on the list who wants to pick them up here is more than welcome to & they'll also save some packing & shipping costs.

I'll have more info in just a couple of days.

Archie

I'm glad I ordered three sets for my choppers.

Questions; since the company was having some problems in producing 20-sets; do you think the company will try again and produce the last 5-remaining sets? Or producing this extreme curved windows is too difficult for them?
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I got a new camera today.

Gotta figure out how to work it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTTaQXZkk_k
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Now that's a "perfect" fit.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Sweeeeet !

Great job.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!..will there be more windows available later ?
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post

Now that's a "perfect" fit.

to a "Gnats azz"

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 10-22-2009).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Questions; since the company was having some problems in producing 20-sets; do you think the company will try again and produce the last 5-remaining sets? Or producing this extreme curved windows is too difficult for them?

I'm a guy who's had many different parts custom made by various suppliers over the years. Prior to being in this business, I also worked in Q.A. in the aircraft industry where we were having specialized parts made by Sub-tier contractors. So I've seen this as a supplier & as a member of the materials procurement side.

Let me explain how this works in real life.

Typically a quote from a supplier will specify the quantity ordered with words to make the terms "more or less". In manufacturing a new item like this or like all my other custom designed parts, there's always some scrap or loss in the production process. Making these windows for example, requires 6 or 7 specialized processes to complete each one. Each process involves set-up time & process time. I like working with my suppliers, I like getting good suppliers & keeping them because the learning curve for bringing in new suppliers is a steep one. When a buyer (like myself) orders a certain number of parts & the supplier is making them for the 1st time, If parts are lost along the way a buyer can't expect a supplier to make up a few missing parts. A good supplier will learn from his 1st run of a new part & adjust his process & or begining quantity so that future orders will get closer to the correct quantities.

A demand by me to them that they run another batch just to make up the proper number of parts will result in a KMA response & then I will have wasted all the time & work that's been invested in developing a new supplier.

You gotta remember that when I ordered the windows we only had about 14 or so sets spoken for. Several people have joined up since then & that's the only reason we're close on the quantities now.

We've been fitting the windows today, we've done 2 cars (#1 & #26) & they look great.

Considering that we're considerably short of the number of windows we originally ordered, I'm very likely going to do one more run of windows shortly.

That will be decided once several customers have evaluated the current production run when they install them.

If there's anyone interested in a 2nd run, they should let me know.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-22-2009).]

GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post

Two sets please...
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Archie

That Youtube run of the windows looked great. I wish my windows were that fast though.

Given how notoriously difficult these windows are to produce it would be nice to have a spare set. Is there any chance the second run will be a little less expensive though since you have already paid the setup costs?

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

That Youtube run of the windows looked great. I wish my windows were that fast though.

Given how notoriously difficult these windows are to produce it would be nice to have a spare set. Is there any chance the second run will be a little less expensive though since you have already paid the setup costs?

Thanks Archie for putting the first set in #1....... they do roll up and down pretty fast.
I'm not speaking for Archie but I think this group guy helped get the windows made by pooling our money. \I'm pretty sure the windows were sold at cost so Archie made no profit for his trouble. If there are any more made I think the cost should stay the same or even be higher. That way the people who put up their money not knowing for sure of the outcome will not wind up paying more than those you had no faith. Archie could than also make a small profit for his trouble. once again this is just my opinion.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

Thanks Archie for putting the first set in #1....... they do roll up and down pretty fast..

Maybe this would be a good time to upgrade my motors?

Not to speak for Archie, but since I'm in the first group, and I put up the money and had the faith I think I have a suggestion...I'm not opposed to Archie making a profit, but if the company does manage to make the second batch any less expensive (because the setup costs have already been paid) then that savings could be passed on for the second batch to any person who has already purchased a set. Just my $0.02

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

Thanks Archie for putting the first set in #1....... they do roll up and down pretty fast.
I'm not speaking for Archie but I think this group guy helped get the windows made by pooling our money. \I'm pretty sure the windows were sold at cost so Archie made no profit for his trouble. If there are any more made I think the cost should stay the same or even be higher. That way the people who put up their money not knowing for sure of the outcome will not wind up paying more than those you had no faith. Archie could than also make a small profit for his trouble. once again this is just my opinion.

I don't think it was a case of people not having faith, i just think it was a matter of bad timing for most with the economy being what it is. Fun money for me right now is very tight.

I absolutely would like to get a set in the future, but if it doesn't work out that way, i guess that is just the way it goes.
I applaud Archie for all his efforts and those who put up their monies to make all this happen.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I've thought about this already.

IF there is a second batch of windows, the total cost will be less because the tooling costs have already been paid. The people in the 2nd buy would get a bit of a price break HOWEVER, calculated into that price break would be a rebate to the people in the 1st group who paid for the tooling. So they'd be getting some $$ back to where their total costs would be less than the total costs for those in the 2nd group.

However, that's all a ways off because I'll be waiting for input from the current group before beginning on a 2nd group.

Archie
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

I've thought about this already.

Archie

Thanks for the explanation Archie!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

However, that's all a ways off because I'll be waiting for input from the current group before beginning on a 2nd group.

Archie

If history has anything to do with the creation of the second batch-- I won't be holding my breath. Bad economy or otherwise there are those who will procrastinate till there's no end, but if you like to give me my refund in advance--- I'll take it, hehe.
Daviero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavieroSend a Private Message to DavieroDirect Link to This Post
I just stumbled onto this thread and wish I had seen it sooner. I do have a question though.
With these windows does the door close normally with the windows up like stock windows? Or do you have to hold and tuck the glass or close the door with the window down a bit the way the lexan windows must be treated?
If yes, I'd like to be added to the second order list if it ever happens. I will not quibble on cost, it is what it is.

------------------
Daviero - 88 N* GT

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daviero:

With these windows does the door close normally with the windows up like stock windows?

Since I don't have my windows yet I can't speak to how well they work, but my stock windows on Stock Fieros don't do all that well. The Fiero window has a delicate balance between applying enough pressure to seal properly and not smashing to a million pieces when the door is slammed from too much pressure.

Frameless windows on modern cars will roll down slightly when the door is opened and rollup slightly when the door is closed. This is a much better system. I plan to add that feature to my car eventually.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
is anyone going to pick up their windows from the south east?
or if someone wants to share the cost of the trip I could go pick them up and bring them back to Ga for pick up.
PM me if you are interested. I just don't want to risk shipping them after all that it has taken to get them.
D.
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
This is all excellent news . If you already have someone coming out on Sunday, I would like to come out as well to get mine.
PM sent
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I'm glad that all the choptop owners who placed their orders are getting their Xmas gifts a little early this year. . Now Archie's car will be complete and people can stop bitching about his cars not having glass windows. Then again they'll just ***** about something else. That's the nature of the beast. Have fun guys.

Dave
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock