Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Christmas is over, time to think about next years gift.....A HAND GUN! (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Christmas is over, time to think about next years gift.....A HAND GUN! by jimbolaya
Started on: 12-28-2010 08:22 PM
Replies: 162
Last post by: jetman on 01-19-2013 12:17 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brandon87gt:

Just an FYI, if you saw a Glock .22 it wasn't a glock. You probably saw the ISSC .22 Glock clone. Although they do make .22 conversion kits for the Glock.

You are probably correct, I am a newb at this, and I could easily be fooled. Thanks for the heads up.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 01-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Sorry double post.

Jim

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobrian:

here is my first gun i just got last weekend
smith wesson sigma 40 with 4 inch barrel that was ported and feed ramp is polished and sight is a night sight i got it used for 400 out the door from a gun store . but just order a neos from www.budsguns.com was about 80 to 100 less than gun store just going to take longer than a store .

Did it come with extra magazines? My son-in-law has been having trouble locating a spare mag for his Sigma 9mm. It's a nice handling gun and is fairly small.

Hate to tell you this but a neighbor down the street has been trying to sell me his Sigma 40 for $325 (and of couse no spare magazines... though Cheaper than Dirt does stock for the 40s)

Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
Sigmas are nice, but the problem with them is the early ones are crapola.

That said, I've handled a few (never fired) and would consider buying one for a toy to plink with. Maybe a backup carry gun.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Just $2500 too.

One vendor had this one. That is one big gun! There is no way I would use it as an everyday weapon. I don't think I could handle it. Maybe with lots of practice, but I don't think so. Good news is it was on sale for $2400.

Jim

fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
yea that is with 2 mags . i love it i ran 200 rounds in 1 sitting no hangups . just alot of clean up with ported barrel powder gets under slide and outside of barrel . mine is 2 years old ,i did pay the top dollar but wanted it fast ,order my 2nd gun online and lookslike it will be about 12 days start to finish instead of 3 if local shop has gun

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 01-22-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
So I'm reading a lot of stuff on gun forums and blogs, and it appears that the Mosquito has a very high failure rate. For example, misfeeds, jams, and broken safety's. Anyone here experience this? Does Sig make a different .22?

Jim

brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2011 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
The mosquito and P22 can be very hit or miss as far as reliability goes. If you want something reliable that you don't have to fiddle with I would pass on those two.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
A picture of my target from my first trip to the range. Gun was a Sig P226 at 25 yards.

The lower gut shots were my first shots. the instructor says it is common for first time shooters because I was flinching waiting on the bang instead of focusing on the target. The cluster around center mass (heart) and just below were the later shots. The 5 head shots were my last 5 shots. All at 25 yards. Me and the wife are going back tonight for an instructional class. We'll see if she still has the bug after this. My itch has gotten worse. I'm gonna like this.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 03-10-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Watch him folks-- Jim's a gut shooter.

"shoot someone in the face, it gets their attention real fast"
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Watch him folks-- Jim's a gut shooter.

"shoot someone in the face, it gets their attention real fast"

My wife called me a "nut shooter" It's going to take practice no doubt, but at least all my rounds made it on the sheet. I know, cuz I counted.

Jim

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, but was it YOUR sheet?
(I've seen that happen)
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

(I've seen that happen)

Yes, it was my sheet.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
My wife and I just got back from our class, and practice at the range. I'll post pictures of our targets later. I don't feel like uploadeding them at the moment. Sandra is a dead eye though, and she is hooked. My wife is not an emotional woman, and is not very expressive. When I see outward emotion, in the forms of big grins, I know she is happy. She is very happy. The deal was I could get a gun for next Christmas. The new deal is to get a .22 now for the range and plinking, and then we will buy each other bigger guns for each other next Christmas. She actually shot a 9mm with no issue. We'll take our CCP course sometime this spring or summer. Finally an activity that we can share together other than sex, but still delivers orgasmic results. I am one happy plinker.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

(I've seen that happen)

I believe you. Our instructor was telling us some hilarious stories.

Jim

Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
If you get spike TV there are some good shooting/self defense shows on Saturday early mornings. If you have outdoor channel Wednesday night is full of shooting shows. Can pick up some useful tips on those shows every once in a while !
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

My wife and I just got back from our class, and practice at the range. I'll post pictures of our targets later. I don't feel like uploadeding them at the moment. Sandra is a dead eye though, and she is hooked. My wife is not an emotional woman, and is not very expressive. When I see outward emotion, in the forms of big grins, I know she is happy. She is very happy. The deal was I could get a gun for next Christmas. The new deal is to get a .22 now for the range and plinking, and then we will buy each other bigger guns for each other next Christmas. She actually shot a 9mm with no issue. We'll take our CCP course sometime this spring or summer. Finally an activity that we can share together other than sex, but still delivers orgasmic results. I am one happy plinker.

Jim

She have an older sister that makes good biscuits?

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

She have an older sister that makes good biscuits?

Why yes, yes she does as a matter of fact. However, her husband carries a .45. If your willing to get shot at, she might be worth the trouble. Her sister carries a .38 revolver herself. So if she's not impressed, you risk getting shot by her also.

Jim
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
.45?
1911--no problem.
A big ol Navy Colt revolver and I guess I better stay home.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

.45?

Yeah, the .45 is a little intimidating. The instructor let us shoot his at the end of class. It went boom-boom, and I go pee-pee! The misses shot it also. It was the only time she missed the target. Certainly something that I would have to work up to.

Jim

Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

Jim

"The family that shoots together, stays together" Thats what I always say. My wife also really enjoys poking holes in paper with chunks of lead. Below is a video of her a few months back shooting one of our 1911 pistols a Kimber 9mm. It’s her favorite gun to shoot. She carries a S&W 442 38 special revolver.

Shooting has brought us closer together and gives us a common activity to do. A lot of times we’ll go shooting at the rage before going out to one of our favorite eateries. A unique but fun date night and it makes us feel safer too.

I just hate when she shoots better than me.

Enjoy it, get as much training as you can get and always be safe!!!!!

PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bullet:

"The family that shoots together, stays together" Thats what I always say. My wife also really enjoys poking holes in paper with chunks of lead. Below is a video of her a few months back shooting one of our 1911 pistols a Kimber 9mm. It’s her favorite gun to shoot. She carries a S&W 442 38 special revolver.

Shooting has brought us closer together and gives us a common activity to do. A lot of times we’ll go shooting at the rage before going out to one of our favorite eateries. A unique but fun date night and it makes us feel safer too.

I just hate when she shoots better than me.

Enjoy it, get as much training as you can get and always be safe!!!!!

Our experiences are similar. We have tried to find things to do together. Golf, I had no patience to teach her. Ball room dancing, I never could get the hang of it. Tennis, I was better than her, and that's no fun for either party. Even cars, but she couldn't stand getting greasy. I am in awe of how in to this she is. She has not bucked me one once. In fact she was the one that brought it up. We had so much fun together. We are going to buy a cheap .22 now, and buy a range card to cut down on cost. We're going to get carry guns for next Christmas, which will limit the number of gifts, but I think we will both be very happy. I had said earlier in the thread, the family that shoots together, stays together. I really enjoyed seeing that smile on her face.

BTW, she shoots better than me too.

Mine: HK 9mm (don't know what HK stands for.)

Hers: .22 Baretta

The few bigger holes are from the instructors .45 It was a Springfield

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 01-25-2011).]

Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

Mine: HK 9mm (don't know what HK stands for.)

Heckler & Koch
http://www.hkperfection.com...-HK_9mm_Pistols.aspx

Welcome to the madness. Enjoy!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Heckler & Koch
http://www.hkperfection.com...-HK_9mm_Pistols.aspx

Welcome to the madness. Enjoy!

I think this is going to be worse than Fieros, because she supports it. She hated the Fiero.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2011 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Help me!.... huff..... huff......

can't breath.....

just....

came...

back....

from gun....

shopping....

she wants to.....

buy.....

2 guns!.....

getting dizzy...
THUD!

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
So we start with my wife giving me permission to buy a hand gun. I take her shooting, and then she wants a gun too. We go shopping and bring home this:

A Browning Buckmark

She bought it and did the background check in her name. So this is her gun. Here she is looking at the manual after bringing it home.

CAN ANYBODY HERE TELL ME WHAT JUST HAPPENED???!!!!

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 01-29-2011).]

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Loser! Loser! Loser! Bought a gun and she has taken it away from you already and is/will be soon a better shooter! Send maryjane your man card

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
You need a Desert Eagle, Jim. Nothing less will do!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Loser! Loser! Loser! Bought a gun and she has taken it away from you already and is/will be soon a better shooter! Send maryjane your man card

I'll be calling you later Mike, I've had company yesterday and today. BTW, it's her gun, she put the dang thing in her name. I've been hoodwinked. Here I thought she was just wanting my bod, now I realize she was just sleeping with me to get a gun...
I'm good with that.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by tbone42:

You need a Desert Eagle, Jim. Nothing less will do!

I've looked at those and even fired one, but for now, it's a .22 for practice and training. The carry weapon will come next Christmas. I can't believe I bought her a gun first.

Jim

Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

I've looked at those and even fired one, but for now, it's a .22 for practice and training. The carry weapon will come next Christmas. I can't believe I bought her a gun first.

Jim

Thats a great gun to start with. The 22 is a great starting pistol. Out of the 30 guns I have a number of them are 22's. My favorite is my Wilson Combat Supergrade 1911 22. It's come with me every single time I have gone to the range. No matter what I bring from a 22 up to my Wildey magnum I always enjoy shooting my 22 Supergrade. Though I wouldn't carry one. 22's have been know to bounce off peoples skills. If I have to shoot somebody I want to make it count so I only carry a 45 of some kind (have more than one).
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Just got back from the range, and the gun was jamming about every third round. This is a used gun, and I have been told the .22's are tempermental, but I think it's fair to say that's excessive. We were also told that another brand of ammo might make a difference. I am going to take the gun back and have them check it, is there anything they should look for? We shot this exact gun during class and it never jammed. That's why we went ahead and bought it, even though it was used.

Jim
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornDirect Link to This Post
Jim, pm.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
"Jammed" in what way?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

"Jammed" in what way?

When the action is supposed to spring back forward, and thus chamber the next round, the bullet is jammed. The bullet actually is sitting crooked. The action is not sliding back into the firing position. We have to drop the magazine, and then pull back on the action to let the bullet drop out. Then 2 or 3 rounds later, it's wash, rinse, repeat. I am still not technically proficient on jargon, so I explained that the best way I know how. Do not assume anything, I wrote, is totally accurate.

Edit: My uneducated theory is that the magazine spring may be weak, and is not pushing the round far enough into the chamber, but what do I know.

Jim

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
failure to feed.
slide moves forward on the round and 'pinches' it at an angle instead of feeding it into the chamber?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-29-2011).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

failure to feed.
slide moves forward on the round and 'pinces' it at an angle instead of feeding it into the chamber?

Yes! That sounds like a more accurate description, and you used less words. Heybjorn would be proud.

Jim

Bullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BulletSend a Private Message to BulletDirect Link to This Post

Just got back from the range, and the gun was jamming about every third round. This is a used gun, and I have been told the .22's are tempermental, but I think it's fair to say that's excessive. We were also told that another brand of ammo might make a difference. I am going to take the gun back and have them check it, is there anything they should look for? We shot this exact gun during class and it never jammed. That's why we went ahead and bought it, even though it was used.

Jim

I have found CCI Mini Mags to be the most consistent when it comes to consistency of feeding. The real key to a good feeding in a 22 is lubrication. Since a 22 has much less force its important that the slide be will lubricated to insure it properly cycles. 22's are much cheaper to fire and can be a lot of fun but they also can be some what finicky.

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

I have found CCI Mini Mags to be the most consistent when it comes to consistency of feeding. The real key to a good feeding in a 22 is lubrication. Since a 22 has much less force its important that the slide be will lubricated to insure it properly cycles. 22's are much cheaper to fire and can be a lot of fun but they also can be some what finicky.

This is the second time we have fired the gun. First during class, and then tonight. The first time we used it the action did not open up completely after firing the last round. The instructor said it had a bad recoil spring. They replaced that before we purchased the gun. Perhaps between that, the fact that it was a used gun, and we had been firing it two nights previous, is contributing to the problem. I'll lube and clean it before the next firing session. I had assumed the gunsmith would have lubed it, after replacing the recoil spring, but you know what they say when you assume.

Jim
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I have the opposite problem on my SKS. It fails to feed after I clean and lube it, about every 2nd or 3rd round until after I have run about 2 strippers thru it. I've been told by several long time sks users----"Never clean one".
So I haven't--for about 500 rounds.

And people wonder why I prefer revolvers..

I wonder if maybe the recoil spring they installed is 'too' strong now?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-29-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock