Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Official 2011 Stanley Cup prediction thread (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Official 2011 Stanley Cup prediction thread by Patrick
Started on: 04-13-2011 03:29 PM
Replies: 159
Last post by: doublec4 on 06-16-2011 07:53 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I know we're a minority in this forum, but dammit, there's no need for us hockey fans to be quiet.

Okay, let's hear it. Which NHL team is going to win the Stanley Cup this year?

I believe it's a forgone conclusion. Look no farther than the Vancouver Canucks. Best record over the regular season, most goals scored, least goals allowed... a true powerhouse this year.

So, who do you think is going to win the cup this time around?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
WhiteDevil88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
I don't know who will win, but its a safe bet the Sharks will choke in the playoffs.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I'm holding out hope the Hawks can do something despite falling into the playoffs back asswards. I admit I really only watch the playoffs.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
I have utter faith the President's Trophy will claim another victim.

I'd like to see the Finals be the Lightning and Wings, but I'm not sure I'm delusional enough to believe it.

GO WINGS!

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 04-13-2011).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

I have utter faith the President's Trophy will claim another victim.

Wishful thinking, eh? We'll see, we'll see...

For those who don't know what it's for, the President's Trophy is awarded to the NHL team with the best regular season record. As mentioned earlier, this year it was the Vancouver Canucks.

Being awarded the President's Trophy certainly doesn't guarantee success in the playoffs, but the Canucks are pretty damn good this year. I've been following them for their entire 40 year history. This is by far the best team they've ever had. Should be interesting.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Did they fix the dent that got put in it by a Stars player?
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
I'm a Canadien fan , but a have to agree with you .
Think the final will be Philadelphia and the Canucks .
Good luck .
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
You think Luongo can get the job done this time?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Did they fix the dent that got put in it by a Stars player?

Apparently the Stanley Cup has had more than its fair share of mishaps over the decades. Read about 'em Here.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
I predict some team or other will win it, but dont know or care which one as I just dont like hockey.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

You think Luongo can get the job done this time?

Yes. I know that Luongo has had a history of not getting the job done in the playoffs, but this season has been approached differently.

First of all, he helped win the gold for Canada at the Winter Olympics (here in Vancouver) last year, so that helped to dispel rumours that he couldn't handle the pressure. Secondly, he wasn't played to death over the regular season. He's not exhausted this year come the playoffs as he wasn't playing in almost every game. It certainly helps to have a "back-up" goalie (Cory Schneider) who can be relied upon. Thirdly, the Canucks have a lot of depth on defence this year. They have defencemen who can get the puck out of their own end. And fourthly, Luongo gave up being the captain of the team this year. The "experiment" last year was a disaster. The last thing a goalie needs is the added pressure of being the captain of the team and having to face the media non-stop. This has given him time to focus on the job at hand... stopping pucks.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I predict some team or other will win it, but dont know or care which one as I just dont like hockey.

Keep talking like that and you will be exiled from Canada
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
The captain thing was pretty dumb. I remember them making a deal of it last year.

I think I could play goalie for Canada and win gold. Team is kinda stacked isn't it? LOL

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
A fan can dream, eh?

Hoping for at least a pass through the first round. I like duck roasted.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
I predict the team that wins the last game of the playoffs will be champion. That, and "I don't care" for a $1,000 Alex. Just razzin ya.

Jim
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
Wings off to a good(ish) start

Bolts, not so much.......
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Alright. First game, Canucks 2-0 over the Hawks. 15 more victories to go.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I know we're a minority in this forum, but dammit, there's no need for us hockey fans to be quiet.

Okay, let's hear it. Which NHL team is going to win the Stanley Cup this year?

I believe it's a forgone conclusion. Look no farther than the Vancouver Canucks. Best record over the regular season, most goals scored, least goals allowed... a true powerhouse this year.

So, who do you think is going to win the cup this time around?

I think the Sharks had the best record last season, maybe second best, and were out in the 2nd round.

Season record means little in the playoffs.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Season record means little in the playoffs.

I covered that in my second post. Besides, the Canucks aren't the Sharks.

BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
I would put my money on the Canucks this year, but with the luck Canadian teams have had in the Finals in the last decade or so, they'll probably choke and lose to whoever they're facing in the East.

So I'm gonna say Pittsburgh wins it.

Brad
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

He hasn't posted at PFF for awhile, but I'm surprised WingNut - MD hasn't chimed in to cheer for Detroit. They have a good team as usual.
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Alright. First game, Canucks 2-0 over the Hawks. 15 more victories to go.

THUGS!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Good news from back east tonight with Montreal defeating Boston 2-0 in game one.

Naturally, I've also got to pull for the only other Canadian team in the playoffs.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Good news from back east tonight with Montreal defeating Boston 2-0 in game one.

Naturally, I've also got to pull for the only other Canadian team in the playoffs.

There should be more teams in Canada.

p.s. - Sharks 3, Kings 2 1OT

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 04-15-2011).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

There should be more teams in Canada.

We keep hearing reports up here that the Coyotes are leaving Phoenix and going to Winnipeg. Hope to see it happen. There should also be NHL teams in Quebec City, and possibly Hamilton as well.

The three California teams appear to be doing fine which is great, but NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's dream of placing NHL teams in traditionally non-hockey southern US markets has been a financial disaster in many of those cities.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-15-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

We keep hearing reports up here that the Coyotes are leaving Phoenix and going to Winnipeg. Hope to see it happen. There should also be NHL teams in Quebec City, and possibly Hamilton as well.

Wow, really? That'd be cool.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

After reading my last post, I just wanted to clarify that nothing is imminent for Quebec City or Hamilton (in case it might've been interpreted that way). That was just an editorial comment by me. However, the Coyotes moving to Winnipeg is looking more and more like it is going to happen.

There should also be NHL teams in Quebec City, and possibly Hamilton as well.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

After reading my last post, I just wanted to clarify that nothing is imminent for Quebec City or Hamilton (in case it might've been interpreted that way).

On the other hand, they gotta do something with the Thrashers
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
Miller stopped 35 shots for his second career postseason shutout and Patrick Kaleta scored to lift the Sabres to a 1-0 win in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference playoff series Thursday night.
D B Cooper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D B CooperSend a Private Message to D B CooperDirect Link to This Post

He hasn't posted at PFF for awhile, but I'm surprised WingNut - MD hasn't chimed in to cheer for Detroit. They have a good team as usual.

I clicked on this thread figuring I'd see at least one comment from Mark too. Surprising.

Go Wings
ace35

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace35Send a Private Message to ace35Direct Link to This Post
I hate to say it but, Philly and Canucks.

Go B's (will always choke) and Wings!
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Hawks played better in game 2 than in game 1, but the Canucks persevered and won the game 4-3. Now leading the series 2-0.

14 more victories to go.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

I was originally going to post this in Boonie's poetry thread, but I doubt many people reading that thread would know what the heck it was all about.

So in this hockey thread, I give you Vancouver Canuck's ace goaltender, Roberto Luongo, reciting his own poetry. Classic.

Hey, what can I say? Goalies are all flakes.
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
Go wings
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
Well, the refs tried to give it away, but the Wings managed to hang on for a 2-0 lead as the series shifts to the desert......
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Game 3 was a hard hitting affair, with the Canucks coming from behind to defeat the Blackhawks 3-2. Vancouver now leads the series 3-0.

13 more victories to go.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
C'mon Hawks, I know you fell backasswards into the playoffs, but win some games for pete's sake.....

On a side note, now I'm remembering how stupid it is for the Wings to be in the western conference......
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

On a side note, now I'm remembering how stupid it is for the Wings to be in the western conference......

I know eh? Especially when Washington is in the eastern conference. Washington's on the west coast!!

Brad
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BtotheB:

Especially when Washington is in the eastern conference. Washington's on the west coast!!

I really wish the state of Washington did have an NHL team. A team in the Seattle area would make for a great rivalry down the I5 from the Canucks.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Ouch, the Canucks got spanked 7-2 by the Hawks in game 4. Canucks lead the series 3-1.

Game 5 in Vancouver should be good.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock