Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Official 2011 Stanley Cup prediction thread (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Official 2011 Stanley Cup prediction thread by Patrick
Started on: 04-13-2011 03:29 PM
Replies: 159
Last post by: doublec4 on 06-16-2011 07:53 AM
naskie18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
How the hell did the Kings manage to blow that?

ARG!!!!!

Nice of the Hawks to show up for at least one game, though...
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, weren't the Kings ahead 4-0 at one point, only to loose 6-5 to the Sharks in overtime? Bad.

The Hawks were a different team in game 4. That's okay though, I hope the Hawks bring their "A" game to Vancouver on Thursday. If the Canucks can't put the Hawks away, they don't deserve to go further in the playoffs.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
If the Canucks can't put the Hawks away, they don't deserve to go further in the playoffs.

I hope that's the case

[EDIT]
(Not out of any spite towards the Canucks....I just don't want the Wings to have to play them....I'm much more confident about potentially beating Chicago than Vancouver...Same reason I'm rooting for the Kings to out the Sharks )

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 04-20-2011).]

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
While I'm glad the Wings won, seeing the Coyotes on the ice after the game saluting the fans was a sad sight to see. Classy move, but a sad sight nonetheless

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

....seeing the Coyotes on the ice after the game saluting the fans was a sad sight to see.

Interesting fact that 15 years ago, the Wings knocked out the Jets in their last game before they left Winnipeg for Phoenix. Now all these years later the Wings may have indeed done the same thing again, by knocking out the Coyotes before they possibly return to Winnipeg. What goes around comes around!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

Not out of any spite towards the Canucks....I just don't want the Wings to have to play them....

Aw come on... Wouldn't that be a helluva series!

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Aw come on... Wouldn't that be a helluva series!

It certainly would.

On a somewhat related topic, you may be the perfect person to ask a question that's been rattling around in my head the last day or two. The list of finalists for GM of the year are Mike Gillis, David Poile, and Steve Yzerman. The first two perplex me, but I'm thinking that it could be just because I don't follow the Canucks and Preds as much as I do the Lightning. What has Poile done this year that you would consider makes him a good nominee for this award? Also, if you have some reason why you think Gillis is a good nominee, I'd be interested to hear that as well.

I get that the Canucks ran away with the league and got their first 50 win season, and those are both impressive; and I get that the Preds seem to consistently overachieve based on what they have to work with, and that's also impressive. But in my mind, I think these are both testaments to the coaching staff and the players, rather than to the GM, especially that these two teams seem to be very similar to their teams last year from a player standpoint, and while they both performed better, I don't see anything that stands out as a GM's impact in that regard. Shouldn't GM of the year nominees have stabilized a franchise in disarray, or provided a significant increase in the talent of a franchise by adding or subtracting players?

Or have I missed some significant additions to the Canucks because (a) I don't stay up late enough to watch many of their games and (b) everytime they play the Wings one (or both) of the Sedins is killing us?

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 04-21-2011).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Ouch... again.

The Canucks were absolutely humiliated by the Hawks in Vancouver 5-0. The Canucks still lead the series 3-2, but damn, what the hell is going on? It's like the Hawks are supercharged out there and the Canuck players are stunned and confused.

...if you have some reason why you think Gillis is a good nominee, I'd be interested to hear that as well.

After the last couple of games, I got nothing.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, weren't the Kings ahead 4-0 at one point, only to loose 6-5 to the Sharks in overtime? Bad.

Sharks

Tonight, it was Sharks 6, Kings 3.

Sharks scored 3 in the 3rd. Another

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Ouch... again.

The Canucks were absolutely humiliated by the Hawks in Vancouver 5-0. The Canucks still lead the series 3-2, but damn, what the hell is going on? It's like the Hawks are supercharged out there and the Canuck players are stunned and confused.

After the last couple of games, I got nothing.

LOL I tried watching a bit of the last game but there was bulls and sox on so I was flipping, every time I changed the channel back the score changed.
Radio idiots here are saying Canucks are losers and imploding. Same radio idiots who wrote the hawks off after game one.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2011 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

Radio idiots here are saying Canucks are losers and imploding. Same radio idiots who wrote the hawks off after game one.

The mouthiest guys on the radio saying all those things have probably never stickhandled or shot a puck in their lives. Schmucks.

I still don't think the Hawks are capable of beating the Canucks in four straight games, although they're half way there. If for some reason the Canucks have suffered a season-ending meltdown (which I don't think they have), then what the hell, they don't deserve to go any further. This is what makes hockey in the playoffs interesting... anything can happen.
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
Ya sports radio, and writers are usually idiots but if you follow sports you have to put up with them to get the info. Good example. One stupid writer here kept talking about how weak AJ Pierzynskis arm was, that even he could steal a base off him. He never even got close. This same guy lost a foot race to Paul Konerko, whom he called the slowest man in baseball.
Anyway, You think Luongo's back really is hurt? LOL
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post

Scottzilla79

2573 posts
Member since Oct 2009
Hawks win in OT, that was one of the best hockey games I've ever watched. I admit I haven't watched a ton but it was great. Lots of drama right down to a rookie scoring the game-winner in only his 12th game in the NHL.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Yep, the Hawks win 4-3 in OT in game 6. Not quite the outcome I wanted, but great game nonetheless. The 7th and deciding game will be on Tuesday here in Vancouver. May the best team win.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I was impressed how the Canucks really hustled to give Luondo a chance to win.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
Territorially, I believe the Canucks had a huge advantage over the Hawks over the course of the game, but of course that's not what necessarily wins a game. On the overtime goal that beat Luongo, I don't think he needed to go down on the original shot. There he was on his belly looking for nickels while the rebound was shot a couple feet off the ice over him. If he had stayed on his feet, the rebound shot would've just hit him in the chest. Damn.

Oh well, makes for an exciting game 7 here. The whole reason to want to end up in first place is to get "home ice advantage" in the playoffs. If the Canucks have any grit at all, they'll pull off a victory on home ice this Tuesday and all will be forgiven and forgotten.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I hope Luongo starts Tuesday
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2011 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Sharks 4, Kings 3 OT

Sharks win series 4-2.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
Stupid freaking 'Hawks. If they were gonna lose, they coulda just done that in regulation and I coulda gone to bed an hour earlier.....

C'mon Lightning!!!!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

What a game, what a game! I thought the Canucks had blown the whole season when they allowed the Blackhawks to tie the game with about a minute left. And then when Burrows got a penalty in overtime, oh man... But Burrows made up for it by scoring THE goal of the series.

So, the Canucks win game 7 over the Hawks 2-1 in OT. Wow!

I've been waiting three years to post the following. Enjoy.

12 victories to go.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
HOORAY LIGHTNING!

Now, what's that other team I was rooting for at the beginning of the playoffs....been so long I can't remember....oh, yeah, GO RED WINGS!

Bring on round 2

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

The Canucks dominated the Nashville Predators in game 1 of their series, but only beat them by a score of 1-0. A goose egg for Looooooou.

11 more victories to go.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
No mention of the Bruins downing the Habs in 7th game OT? I have no fingernails left.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

No mention of the Bruins downing the Habs in 7th game OT? I have no fingernails left.

I got one thing you ain't got, newf. An NHL team.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Sharks 2, Red Wings 1 OT

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Sharks 2, Red Wings 1

Sharks up 2-0 in series.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

The Canucks blew a 1-0 lead with about one minute(!) left in game 2 of their series with the Predators and lost in OT. So the series is now tied 1-1 and moving to Nashville.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

The Canucks blew a 1-0 lead with about one minute(!) left in game 2 of their series with the Predators and lost in OT. So the series is now tied 1-1 and moving to Nashville.

That s*** is painful, your team getting tied with one minute left. You have my sympathies. At least until the Sharks play the Canucks in the semi-finals. Then you can SUCK IT!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

You have my sympathies.

Yeah, I suspected there would be certain limitations to your concern.

Don't count out the Wings just yet. There's a lot of talent on that team.

I'm hoping for a Canucks/Wings series next round, but there's still a lot of other games to play first.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:
At least until the Sharks play the Canucks in the semi-finals. Then you can SUCK IT!

Don't give up on the Wings yet, there's still plenty of time for San Jose to "go shark"

See if Babcock gets that hobbling Mule out and throws Modano back in there.....what a waste to have him scratched while Franzen hobbles and Miller is nowhere to be found.....

[EDIT]
Almost forgot to add: How 'bout the Lightning?

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 05-02-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I suspected there would be certain limitations to your concern. [/'quote]

Damn straight! Right up until a Sharks-Canucks series.

[quote]Don't count out the Wings just yet. There's a lot of talent on that team.

Don't give up on the Wings yet, there's still plenty of time for San Jose to "go shark"

Whoa, guys, when did I say the Wings were done??? No way. The Sharks have had plenty of tough series with the Wings, the Wings are well-stocked and well-coached, and yes...the Sharks have fallen apart too many times in the past (like the last series they were in, last year) to think ANY series is over until it is OVER. And it ain't over yet! All I can say is...GO SHARKS!
PFF
System Bot
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
You know, I know Gary Bettman is an arse, but this is getting ridiculous.

http://network.yardbarker.c...n_from_games/4665113

His plan for growing the NHL is removing traditions/fans that make the game more enjoyable for fans and to keep it on a couple of crap ass tv networks that have unbearable announcers and aren't subscribed to by most people? Screw it, fire him and Colin Campbell together, and find a couple people who give a rat's ass.....

[EDIT]
Now, here's hoping the Bolts manage to win a home game tonight....although I can't watch it, 'cuz I ain't paying money for that crap that is versus......

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 05-03-2011).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
You mean a tradition that they stole from a tv show based in Philly?
The octopoi in Detroit is a tradition. This is a stupid trend.
Have to agree though that Bettman has been a miserable failure by all measures. Don't know why he still has a job.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

You mean a tradition that they stole from a tv show based in Philly?

Guess that's what I get for not following pop culture, eh?

In more exciting news: How 'bout dem Bolts?

Now if the Wings would show up tomorrow night, I'd be a happy camper.....
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Nashville scored late in the game to tie it (again), but this time the Canucks prevailed in OT and defeated the Predators 3-2 in game 3. Vancouver now leads the series 2-1.

10 more victories to go.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

OT

Seriously guys, it's a late game. Someone please win this stuff in regulation, I need more sleep than this......

Gotta figure the NHL is loving all the OT games in the playoffs....if only they were being shown on a channel more than 7 people get...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

You know, I know Gary Bettman is an arse, but this is getting ridiculous.

Green Men

I don't understand this move of banning the antics of the Green Men at Vancouver Canucks home games at all. I personally can't stand infantile team mascots (those people in cartoonie animal costumes) at sporting events, but what the heck, they're there to entertain and work up the fans. It livens up the atmosphere. The Green Men do the same thing at Canucks games.

Apparently the Nashville Predators put in a request to NHL headquarters to get rid of the Green Men just prior to the start of their playoff series with the Canucks. I'm quite shocked that the NHL brass would roll over and agree to this chickensh!t request. I'd love to see 18,000 fans at the next Canucks home game... all dressed in green suits, banging on the glass and doing head stands.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

Seriously guys, it's a late game. Someone please win this stuff in regulation, I need more sleep than this......

Heh heh, I know exactly what you mean. I was in Montreal for the past week, and watching game 2 broadcast from Vancouver of the Canucks/Predator series go into the second period of OT was tough. It got to the point at 1:30 in the morning (or whatever time it was ) that I just wanted someone/anyone to score so that I could go to bed!

Yesterday was an interesting day for me to be watching game 3 of this series. I watched the buildup during the day prior to the game on TV while still in Montreal, I watched the start of the game while 40,000 feet up in the air somewhere over Manitoba, and I watched the finish of the game while sitting at home in Vancouver.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-04-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Sharks 4, Red Wings 3 OT

Setoguchi hat trick

Sharks lead series 3-0

HOLY CRAP! My prediction for this game was going to be a Red Wings blowout. I figured, first game back home, down 2-0, pissed off, Sharks would let down a bit. This surprised the hell out of me.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Unfortunately I haven't seen one Sharks/Wings game during these playoffs. Are the Sharks playing that well or are the Wings playing that bad this year?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock