Started on: 04-08-2011 01:00 PM
Replies: 214
Last post by: Zeb on 05-01-2011 12:25 AM
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yep, start packing the dishes... the Boonster is headed north.

Again....

Dude! Page 4 ownage!

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 04-12-2011).]

IP: Logged
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2011 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Yep, start packing the dishes... the Boonster is headed north.

Shhhhh.
I want to be respected here for as long as I can before they find out.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
If this opportunity came up before you moved, how hard of a decision would that have been I wonder?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

If this opportunity came up before you moved, how hard of a decision would that have been I wonder?

I discussed that very thing with the Wife.

If this job had been offered before I left, I would not have left.

And if this job was offered to me today from some state other then Alaska, I would take it.

So, why the trepidation about this choice now?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-12-2011).]

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

I discussed that very thing with the Wife.

If this job had been offered before I left, I would not have left.

And if this job was offered to me today from some state other then Alaska, I would take it.

My take? Sometimes going back to where you came from is like admitting defeat (or just has the feeling of defeat) depending on what was done while you were away. If it was in another state it would be like starting fresh again, that's how you should look at going to Alaska if you decide to go IMO. You are not going back to the exact same thing as before it is new.

Anyways whatever you do best of luck. You guys sound like you are a strong couple and can deal with pretty much whatever is thrown your way.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

...if this job was offered to me today from some state other then Alaska, I would take it.

Just keep this in mind during the negotiations. If handled properly, this can only assist you in getting the best deal (even if that entails not returning to Alaska).
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

You guys sound like you are a strong couple and can deal with pretty much whatever is thrown your way.

Together.
She really is a vital part of who I am.

Me, for the most part a zero, (not driven, not rich, not goodlooking, not well endowed, etc.) marries into something that amazing.
I don't know how or why, but I damn sure ain't about to dissect gossamer.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-12-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

My take? Sometimes going back to where you came from is like admitting defeat (or just has the feeling of defeat) depending on what was done while you were away. If it was in another state it would be like starting fresh again, that's how you should look at going to Alaska if you decide to go IMO. You are not going back to the exact same thing as before it is new.

Anyways whatever you do best of luck. You guys sound like you are a strong couple and can deal with pretty much whatever is thrown your way.

My take on it as well.

I'll be blunt (again).

You are afraid or concerned that some may say you failed at this move, or some might even call you a quitter. Let's look at it:

1. You completed the move--in the midst of what was probably the most severe nationwide (global?) economic downturn in MY lifetime and I'm older than you..
2. You provided an adequate domicile for your family.
3. You witrhstood a lengthy period of unemployment while remaining upbeat and confident.
4..Tho things certainly might have appeared bleak at times, You took a STAND and continued to persevere until you found employment in your own field, in an unfamilar city, with no friends living by, no realtives, nothing to lean on but each other, you got hired, and went to work.
You have done everything you set out to do, including making arraingments to eventually pay off a debtload.
Congrats!! BTW, if you don't realize it, there are millions of Americans who would love to be able to say they accomplished the same thing in 2010/2011 timeframe.

Now, someone has offered you an even better job, back in your old city, where surroundings are familar, friends and family live, doing what you are good at.

Success, is not always the end result--success is most often tallied within the struggle--in the trying.

If it's what you and the missus want, go home Boonie, with head up. You failed nowhere.

(ok, I've used up my allowance of "nice" for the year-- all on one person and one topic-----it's nothing but sarcasm and bitchin for everyone from here on out.)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-12-2011).]

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Success, is not always the end result--success is most often tallied within the struggle--in the trying.

If it's what you and the missus want, go home Boonie, with head up. You failed nowhere.

I agree, I hope my post didn't read like I was saying he did fail at anything. I meant more that it sometimes just FEELS that way when you return to someplace. I don't think he failed in anyway at all, you never can when you follow your heart. (sniffle )
sarabear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sarabearSend a Private Message to sarabearDirect Link to This Post
Going home isn't a bad thing!...sometimes it's just what you need!

I left home, went back, left home again and created a new home some place else....and then left that home and made a new one in a different state. (and I'm only 26!! lol)

Sometimes it's just where we're meant to be!

Good luck in whatever you choose but I think you better unpack the winter coats, from what I hear, there's still snow in Alaska!

(psst, I'm going to Alaska this summer to visit my boyfiends family, I don't remember where you're from in Alaska but if it's near Fairbanks, perhaps we can meet up and grab a beer! )
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

You are afraid or concerned that some may say you failed at this move, or some might even call you a quitter.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but my only concern was that Boonie was being enticed to go back to Alaska without guarantees in place in writing. Boonie has stated that this is indeed to be part of the process. If Boonie is told what he wants to hear (and it's in writing), more power to him to return to Alaska. That wouldn't be failing, that wouldn't be quitting. Moving temporarily to Washington State would instead be the most monumental negotiating ploy (by Boonie) in bowling history.

We all want it to work out well for the Boonster, as what the heck, we all care about him.
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

(ok, I've used up my allowance of "nice" for the year-- all on one person and one topic-----it's nothing but sarcasm and bitchin for everyone from here on out.)

YES!
That bought me immunity!

Thanx, Maryjane.
I appreciate that.

That is actually how I have described it to Dawn.
The down side is, I can't even begin to tell you just how much money this whole adventure flushed right down the drain.
But I did learn some things about my self.
Good, strong things.
But it was expensive.

I guess I could look at it as an self-exploritory cold-call working adventure-vacation.
Yeah, that's it.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I agree, I hope my post didn't read like I was saying he did fail at anything.

It didn't to me.
Becouse I agree that there IS kind of a feeling of failing.
Maybe becouse everyone there said "Your dumb for leaving. You won't like it one bit. You'll be back in a year."
And I said, "NO I WON'T! I'm gone for good, baby!"

And there will be some "I told you so's".
But that won't bother me.
I gotta' be me.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but my only concern was that Boonie was being enticed to go back to Alaska without guarantees in place in writing.

No, I got that.
You are very right about that, too.
If I am going to uproot AGAIN (this time broke like a joke), I better have all my ducks very precisly in a row.

Moving temporarily to Washington State would instead be the most monumental negotiating ploy (by Boonie) in bowling history.

DOH!
How awesome!
If only I was that totally brillant!

Oh well, when I write the book, that's how i'm going to write it!

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by sarabear:

I'm going to Alaska this summer to visit my boyfiends family, I don't remember where you're from in Alaska but if it's near Fairbanks, perhaps we can meet up and grab a beer!

I can't.
With eyes like yours, you are just to dangerous to me.
Superman's kryptonite.
Sorry.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Boonie, you must think we are all pretty shallow, and heartless, to think we would mock you for doing the right thing, BOTH times . The initial move was something you considered to be vital at the time. Everything Don said is on the button, and I applaud him for saying it. And now, things have gone in a totally, and unexpected, direction. I know you were kidding about the first bit..(I THINK you were??? ), but I have nothing but admiration for a family which holds together, and fights together, when things get tough. It would have been so easy to just sit back and let the tide wash over you, taking away the tangible nand INTANGIBLE things in your collective lives. You were to be totally admired for your fortitude, and nothing less. And if you DO go back (and I personally will nail my colours to the mast here:I think you SHOULD ), I will once again stand and applaud you all for having the strength to go through all the upheaval once again.
It is still possible that Ellie and I will go to The Gambia. This Season looks to be a little more favourable for our area. But not for ME, although I do have welding work in the pipeline. The main reason for us to quit Spain would be the fact that the Government own at least 48% of everything we have acheived, and will take it without a doubt, and redistribute it to those it WANTS to, rather than those whom I WANT it to go to: my Wife. If I die here, the Government will take my estate and divide it as THEY see fit, leaving Ellie homeless, virtually. Screw that.
So, know that you have 100% support from ME, and undoubtedly many many more here.
MORE STRENGTH TO YOUR ELBOW, my Friend
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 04-13-2011).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
I had a feeling you were leaning in that direction. You need to do what's best for you and yours and I wish you well my friend. Travel safe and if I ever get tricked back into coming up to Anchorage, I'll buy you lunch or something.

The Lower 48 won't be the same without you.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Good luck, Boonie

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
So when will you be heaing North again? I bet you will miss the fresh fruits and vegetables.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-13-2011).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Question...
(If this has already been mentioned, please excuse the redundancy.)

The job you are considering taking. Why is the other guy leaving?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Question...
(If this has already been mentioned, please excuse the redundancy.)

The job you are considering taking. Why is the other guy leaving?

Retiring.
Getting out of Alaska.
What a maroon!
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I make my desision tomorrow.

------------------
And they said one to another, "Behold, for here comes the dreamer. Come now, let us slay him and we shall see what then will become of his dreams." ~ Genesis 37: 19-20

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Tick tock-Tick tock-Tick tock-Tick tock-Tick tock-Tick tock-Tick tock-............
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69655 posts
Member since Apr 2001
OK--who's in on the pool?

I say he stays put.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

OK--who's in on the pool?

I say he stays put.

Please.
You're far smarter then that.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-14-2011).]

RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
I too cam back home to the place where I grew up. Couldn't be happier. Like others have said, I know everything there is to know about the area and feel very comfortable. There are minor issues, but overall, I am happy back home.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Dang Boonie, we were just starting to respect you

JK we never respected ya.

Brad
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2011 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Dang Boonie, we were just starting to respect you

JK we never respected ya.

Brad

So it's a wash!
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post
Best 'o luck, whaerever you go. And you can always show your face around here.

Don't feel like this was a "fail". remember that job offer I turned down? Had it in the bag for months, just waiting til my old jjob ran out, telling everyone I knew, friends, family, strangers on the street: "I'm going here." Then, at the last minute, I bail and do something else. Complete 180. Probably peeved the guy who wanted to hire me. SHOULD I have done what I did? Nobody can say. SHOULD you do one or the other? Who cares? Do what you think is best. You're smarter than you think.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeb:

You're smarter than you think.

Boy, I hope so!
Wouldn't that be AWESOME!

------------------
And they said one to another, "Behold, for here comes the dreamer. Come now, let us slay him and we shall see what then will become of his dreams." ~ Genesis 37: 19-20

Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
I've always liked this quotation From The Messiah’s Handbook
“Reminders for the Advanced Soul”
in “Illusions – The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah”
by Richard Bach – 1977

"You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self. Don’t turn away from possible futures before you’re certain you don’t have anything to learn from them.
You’re always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past."

Larry
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
So what did SHE decide?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryh86GT:

"You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self. Don’t turn away from possible futures before you’re certain you don’t have anything to learn from them.
You’re always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past." ~Richard Bach

Larry

Over the years, I read quite a few of his works.

------------------
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. ~ T. E. Lawrence

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
How could you leave?

You came south for more then just Floyd.

Besides,

You'll miss the fruit.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

How could you leave?

You came south for more then just Floyd.

Besides,

You'll miss the fruit.

Oh, believe me, this is the most complex string of thinking I have ever had to do.
Frightenly so.
Soooooooo many threads to consider.

"When you go over something again and again and again and again like I have, certain question get answered. Others spring up. The mind plays tricks on you. You play tricks back! It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-14-2011).]

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

How could you leave?

You'll miss the fruit.

I'm pretty sure the term is homosexual or gay/lesbian and I bet Alaska has them too. just kidding

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 04-14-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

I'm pretty sure the term is homosexual or gay/lesbian and I bet Alaska has them too. just kidding

I eat fruit.
I eat fruit?
I eat fruit!
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Boy, I hope so!
Wouldn't that be AWESOME!

Dude, you [are AWESOME! YOU. ARE. BOONDAWG.

Don't get me all started again.

But if you're really smart, and think you're not, isn't that dumb? Meaning you're really not smart? But isn't it smart to not be overconfident, so you'll always work hard? But working harder than you need to is stupid, isn't it?

Awww, now I'm all confused.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
(from Lonsome Dove of course ) :
but often said to me by my twin brother
"You do more work than you need to so it's my obligation to do less"

But if you're really smart, and think you're not, isn't that dumb? Meaning you're really not smart? But isn't it smart to not be overconfident, so you'll always work hard? But working harder than you need to is stupid, isn't it?

Awww, now I'm all confused
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69655 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by Zeb:

Dude, you [are AWESOME! YOU. ARE. BOONDAWG.

Don't get me all started again.

Awww, now I'm all confused.

Jeez==you two--- get a room!

Given that true intellectual and emotional compatability
Are at the very least difficult
If not impossible to come by
We could always opt for the more temporal gratification
Of sheer physical attraction
That wouldn't make you a shallow person......
Would it?

If Ford is to Chevrolet
What Dodge is to Chrysler
What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea
What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt you guys were made for each other?

Look
I understand too little too late
I realize there are things you say and do
You can never take back
But what would you be if you didn't even try
You have to try
So after a lot of thought
I'd like to reconsider
Please............
If it's not too late..........
Make it a cheeseburger

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-15-2011).]