Started on: 04-08-2011 01:00 PM
Replies: 214
Last post by: Zeb on 05-01-2011 12:25 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

Yes, there ARE some 'perks' to this new place...

but

It's the fact that at this place there's opportunity to grow and constantly be working on NEW things...!

Yep, I can see how certain part of ya might grow there.
IP: Logged
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69655 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Can I just post a little anecdotal evidence in regards to "You can never go home again"...

Originally posted by Patrick:

I remember posting the following in this forum previously...

You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time - back home to the escapes of Time and Memory.

Damned if it wasn't in a previous thread of Boonie's Here.

I did EXACTLY that. Went back to the terra firma of my childhood.. I am, back where I roamed in my early teens, every ravine and knoll so familar even after all this time. You CAN indeed go back "home".

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
You should stay where you are. How many other bowling centers could you work at if that one fails and lets you go. $40000 with no benefits is not a good deal for someone in their 50s

The only way I would go back is if they signed a 3 year contract and paid $50000 plus benefits.
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I did EXACTLY that. Went back to the terra firma of my childhood.. I am, back where I roamed in my early teens, every ravine and knoll so familar even after all this time. You CAN indeed go back "home".

So that's 1 yes, 43 no's?

------------------
And they said one to another, "Behold, for here comes the dreamer. Come now, let us slay him and we shall see what then will become of his dreams." ~ Genesis 37: 19-20

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

So that's 1 yes, 43 no's?

2 yesses... $40,000 is a **** -pot of money comparing it to $20,000. $10 an hour is terrible pay and you aren't going to get ahead anytime soon on that wage. You've already taken a risk once, why not again?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

2 yesses... $40,000 is a **** -pot of money comparing it to $20,000. $10 an hour is terrible pay and you aren't going to get ahead anytime soon on that wage. You've already taken a risk once, why not again?

$40,000 IS a lot of money to me.
Maybe the most I will ever make at 50.
Even through corporate.
Corporate does offer benifits, which would add up to be more, but corporate is also a lot of azz-kissin' game-playin'.

Delayed gratifacation, corporate is the smart move.
Instant gratifacation is served by the other.

My WHOLE life I never know what to do.
I just always do it, and make it work.

I never know what to do.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

The only way I would go back is if they signed a 3 year contract...

The contract is 2 years, but that is only so the mechanic can get out if he wants.
They would rather you sign a 20 year contract.
They want you locked in.
Which is what I want too.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I wonder who here at 50 is making $40,000 a year?
For a drop-out/ex-dopesmoker who is not getting any smarter, stronger, or faster, that is alot of money!

------------------
And they said one to another, "Behold, for here comes the dreamer. Come now, let us slay him and we shall see what then will become of his dreams." ~ Genesis 37: 19-20

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

I don't like rain / I don't like snow.

You should have kept moving futher south, then!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

I never know what to do.

Boonie, none of us know what to do. Realistically, life is a crap shoot. I thought I was doing everything right all my life. Put time in at a place that had been around for a hundred years and lost. Put money away for retirement, and lost. Held onto what I could over the years, but that has kept me alive and kicking. And isn’t that all you can hope for.

Do what you and the Mrs. think is right. No one can be absolutely sure they are going to do the right thing, just hope and pray if you do that, that all will go well.

Good luck at what ever you decide to do.

I, like Don came back home, while not right where I grew up but to where they say in the news is the most laid back state in the US. I love it, the idea that I don’t have to worry about being carjacked, home invaded, or shot walking down the street.

Things have changed but are still the same here in Maine, like Alaska, and Texas.

No 2 places are the same, but do what ever you think is right. Good luck.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Boonie, none of us know what to do. Realistically, life is a crap shoot. I thought I was doing everything right all my life. Put time in at a place that had been around for a hundred years and lost. Put money away for retirement, and lost. Held onto what I could over the years, but that has kept me alive and kicking. And isn’t that all you can hope for.

Do what you and the Mrs. think is right. No one can be absolutely sure they are going to do the right thing, just hope and pray if you do that, that all will go well.

Good luck at what ever you decide to do.

I, like Don came back home, while not right where I grew up but to where they say in the news is the most laid back state in the US. I love it, the idea that I don’t have to worry about being carjacked, home invaded, or shot walking down the street.

Things have changed but are still the same here in Maine, like Alaska, and Texas.

No 2 places are the same, but do what ever you think is right. Good luck.

Steve

This could be the most expensive mistake I ever made.
This move cost me every dime I had and put me in the low-middle 5-figures into debt.
And all I really learned is a little fish in a big pond is a head-down situation.

In the big pond I have to start from scratch.
In the little pond I can jump right to the finish line.

So, is the main thing the win, or the race itself?

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-09-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
YGPM
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

I never know what to do.

And you think the rest of us are some kind of prophetic Gods, who can see the future? When I took the job I have now, I actually was negotiating with an old co-worker to work for him. It was down to minor details. Small company in the solar field. LOTS of room to move up. He was VP, and, for some strange reason, really thought highly of me. But he could only bring me in as a contractor to start. That, and the fact that the company had NEVER made money in it's lifetime, threw me.

So I went elsewhere. Good decision? Even time won't tell. Once you take one road, the road not taken changes. And you change. So comparisons are impossible. Whatever you do, you WILL make it work. Because failure is not an option.

YOU

ARE

BOONDAWG!

Perhaps it is time for Him to reconquor the frozen north. Those He left behind cry out to Him, "We were weak, and doubted. Forgive us!" And once again He turns His face toward them. BEHOLD! The snows melt at the radiance of His gaze.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

So, is the main thing the win, or the race itself?

I can’t say, only you can. And no matter what, never look back and say “I should have.”

I have a few regrets, mostly related to my health but we have little control over what happens. Like I said it is a crap shoot.

Some will say it’s the race, others will say the win. But it is you who has to answer that question for yourself.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

YGPM

Thanx.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Zeb:

And you think the rest of us are some kind of prophetic Gods, who can see the future? When I took the job I have now, I actually was negotiating with an old co-worker to work for him. It was down to minor details. Small company in the solar field. LOTS of room to move up. He was VP, and, for some strange reason, really thought highly of me. But he could only bring me in as a contractor to start. That, and the fact that the company had NEVER made money in it's lifetime, threw me.

So I went elsewhere. Good decision? Even time won't tell. Once you take one road, the road not taken changes. And you change. So comparisons are impossible. Whatever you do, you WILL make it work. Because failure is not an option.

YOU

ARE

BOONDAWG!

Perhaps it is time for Him to reconquor the frozen north. Those He left behind cry out to Him, "We were weak, and doubted. Forgive us!" And once again He turns His face toward them. BEHOLD! The snows melt at the radiance of His gaze.

You always make me smile.
All things considered, i'd rather be you.

------------------

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

You should have kept moving futher south, then!

Yup.
This is where the women wanted.

The other thing about here is, grandma is only getting half of the senior benifets here that she was in Alaska.

She hated Alaska.
She wanted to come here.
Now, becouse of the money, not so much.

She really don't want to go back, but she is leaning tword going back becouse they treat their seniors really good, money-wise.
But the wife is really not too happy thinking about "giving up our adventure".

I told her I would do whatever she wanted, no hard feelings.
If you are happy with how we are living, that's good enough for me.
I'll keep doing what I do, but never without her.

I plan on staying married for a VERY long time.
And NOT through 'superior firepower'.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

I spending more than that a year, with no income, and have been doing so for over three years now.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

All things considered, i'd rather be you.

No, you wouldn't. I deeply appreciate the sentiment, but there is much you DON'T know about me, and my situation.

You are Boondawg. That is not a trifling thing. The man has lived an adveturous life. Zeb can't even spell advencher without a spellcheck.

Besides, you'd have to live in New Jersey. I think that'd be a deal-breaker right there.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

I spending more than that a year, with no income, and have been doing so for over three years now.

Oh, so you know how great it is!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

No, you wouldn't. I deeply appreciate the sentiment, but there is much you DON'T know about me, and my situation.

Besides, you'd have to live in New Jersey. I think that'd be a deal-breaker right there.

Yeah, but being as smart as you are would even it all up.

P.S. I guess I kinda' always have been an open book, here.
Someday someone will be able to go back and trace 'The Rise & Fall'........or 'Why You Shouldn't Smoke Dope For 35 Years'.

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

For a drop-out/ex-dopesmoker who is not getting any smarter, stronger, or faster, that is alot of money!

Im 46

Suck it up, I finished 11th and 12th grade in trade school
Joined the Navy before I got in anymore trouble and spent the next 4 years with my head down. When I got out I went back to what I know and just got stuck in a rut.

I picked my life back up and went to school, paid for it myself and have been working on computers and networks for the last 11 years.
You only have to make a choice.

Yes I make more than $40000 a year and that doesn't include what they pay me in benefits. (Edit - I wont keep a job that wont offer benifits)

Ok now that the tough love is out of the way. Dude do what will make you happy and those around you happy. Money is only a small part of life. There are homeless people that are happier than some of the people I know.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 04-09-2011).]

Zeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, but being as smart as you are would even it all up.
To be as "smart" as me you'd have to remove half your brane. I googled "smart" All I got was pictures of some tiny clown car.

P.S. I guess I kinda' always have been an open book, here.
Someday someone will be able to go back and trace 'The Rise & Fall'........or 'Why You Shouldn't Smoke Dope For 35 Years'.

Perhaps it will look like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...e_of_Reginald_Perrin
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post
I think I would go back, just in the next three years you would have 60 grand more (less tax etc.). That is a nice chunk for investing for the future. I think the place you work now is just waving carrots and you have little time for BS.

Since you are almost local I would like to meet you before you go though.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

Since you are almost local I would like to meet you before you go though.

Hell, I think I'd even drive down from Vancouver for the opportunity.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post
Just saw this thread. Having lived in Anchorage for 3 years (and Tacoma for 2), I'd probably stay put. There are many reasons you left, so it's probably a good idea to ride the wave. Going back could be a mistake.

If it was me I would pray about it and have much thoughtful discussion with my better half before deciding anything. But I'd also be leaning towards staying.

Either way good luck Boonie.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the invite Don
You want to know what I would do? OK..pin back your lugholes, and here it comes

Very simple. I would use the offer (IF IT IS WRITTEN IN STONE ) as a simple but effective bargaining chip. The answers you get will determine the outcome for you.
Go to your Management. Say you want to have a serious discussion with him/them. Now you have their undivided attention, (hopefully ), explain to them the situation. " Sir, I am grateful for the job opening you have given me here. I am finding the job to be interesting, testing, and expanding my experience greatly. However, although I have not tried to find alternative employment since I started here, because I am grateful FOR the job, and always put loyalty at the top of my self-demands, I have been contacted by the leading competition in my old State of Alaska. They have offered me a position which, had I been in Alaska still, I would have seized with both hands.
But things have changed now. I have moved down here because it seemed that my opportunities for financial and job- position improvement offer more scope.
The opportunity they are offering me would make it very, very tempting to pack up and return there. However, I am NOT the kind of person who throws fate to the winds,( edit to add Not TOO often ) and like to feel I am a responsible worker for my employer, and can be relied on to do the best I can for THEM. Having said that, Sir, the financial benefits on offer are considerably more than I am at present enjoying, and with the economy etc being so bad, I have to seriously consider my, and my family's financial position.
I hope I have been exhibiting the kind of enthusiasm and commitment to my job that has impressed you, and if that is the case, then I am asking you to review my salary and work situation somewhat earlier than the Contract we have for my employment has set, which I believe comes up for review in 2+ years from now."

The ball is then firmly in their court. You won't have tendered your resignation at all, and it then becomes THEIR problem to unravel.
IF they are so minded to think you are worth more to them than they are presently paying, and that you are a good investment for THEM they will, if they have any sense at ALL, review and discuss your remuneration and terms immediately. If they DON'T...well then...your mind is made up for you ..you move back to Alaska...but ONLY on the terms of a guaranteed 5 year contract (I didn't like the bit about giving the other guy 2 years to decide to move away or NOT...beware that they are not using you as a pawn to manipulate a person they went to great expense and effort to tempt in the first place ) I would certainly get THAT in writing BEFORE talking to your present employer.
The timing of it all is of vital importance Don. Get all your armament lined up and ready to go, before you embark upon a decision which could unravel EITHER WAY if you don't.
Nick
( PS...I would give my eye teeth and perhaps one testicle to be earning $20,000 WITH benefits right now )

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 04-09-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Thanks for the idea.
Unfortunatly, where I am at they don't place much value on me.
They have already hinted that I am overpaid.
They expected me to come on line much faster, based on my former expirience.
And they have already made comments that my memory (lack of retention) is a real problem.

So, my 'diminished' state really don't leave me much leverage.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Flamberge:

If it was me I would pray about it .

You know, I pray and I pray and I pray.
All my life.
I never get an answer.
Ever.
You could hear a pin drop.

I hear my own voice just fine, but none other.
I am sure I am doing something wrong.
Or being ignored.

Maybe that is my cross to bear.
I gotta' do it all on my own.

"If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Boonie, I think I would move back, enjoy being the the man, for double the pay.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2011 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the idea.
And they have already made comments that my memory (lack of retention) is a real problem.

So, my 'diminished' state really don't leave me much leverage.

But it would , apparently, give you an answer Boonie to your dilemma. If you are so unsure of your future there, then look at it this way:
You have an indeterminate future where you are now (from your comment above...or is that you being defeatist:wf:?). And you are being 'headhunted' by somebody who knows of you, and apparently thinks you are THE Man, and went to the bother of contacting you to offer you double your current salary.You could probably pay off your debts in 18 months with what they are offering you...or is the prospect of them finding out you 'financial mini-holocaust' that gives you trepidation? At least you can leave your present job voluntarily, and go straight into employment...going for a step-up (a BIG one ) in personal employment terms can hardly be considered irrational or flippant, IMHO. And if they DID terminate you because of your 'perceived shortcomings' as you have stated above...where would you be then? Wouldn't look good on your CV when you tried to find other employment where you are now, whereas personal betterment is a legitimate and understandable career move in anybody's eyes.
I therefore say, I personally would go back. Familiarity may well bring contempt, but it also can bring security and peace of mind. And you would, according to your comments, slot straight in to a reasonably lucrative postition, doing something familiar and confidence-building.
Nick

PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Whenever you are faced with two choices, just flip a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you, but rather because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air, you suddenly realize what you are hoping for.-Kevin Purdy

Brad
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post

Make sure you wife is aware of this, it may hedge her decision.

Have High School diploma so, my numbers do not really count. At 44, and having done well for myself financially otherwise, I would be ok with making "only" $40,000 but, I would want benefits. What I quoted above and spouse would weigh heavy in the decision.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2011 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendGregory:

Make sure you wife is aware of this, it may hedge her decision.

I tell my wife everything.
Except if I suspect something is wrong with me medically....
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

I tell my wife everything.
Except if I suspect something is wrong with me medically....

You learned to do that too I see. Wise move--they nag and nag ya to go to the Dr as soon as ya even hint you aren't in 100% perfect health.

I just tell mine "I can't go. They'd find out about all the rat poison you've been slippin into my dinner."

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

Very simple. I would use the offer (IF IT IS WRITTEN IN STONE ) as a simple but effective bargaining chip. The answers you get will determine the outcome for you.
Go to your Management. Say you want to have a serious discussion with him/them. Now you have their undivided attention, (hopefully ), explain to them the situation. " Sir, I am grateful for the job opening you have given me here. I am finding the job to be interesting, testing, and expanding my experience greatly. However, although I have not tried to find alternative employment since I started here, because I am grateful FOR the job, and always put loyalty at the top of my self-demands, I have been contacted by the leading competition in my old State of Alaska. They have offered me a position which, had I been in Alaska still, I would have seized with both hands.
But things have changed now. I have moved down here because it seemed that my opportunities for financial and job- position improvement offer more scope.
The opportunity they are offering me would make it very, very tempting to pack up and return there. However, I am NOT the kind of person who throws fate to the winds,( edit to add Not TOO often ) and like to feel I am a responsible worker for my employer, and can be relied on to do the best I can for THEM. Having said that, Sir, the financial benefits on offer are considerably more than I am at present enjoying, and with the economy etc being so bad, I have to seriously consider my, and my family's financial position.
I hope I have been exhibiting the kind of enthusiasm and commitment to my job that has impressed you, and if that is the case, then I am asking you to review my salary and work situation somewhat earlier than the Contract we have for my employment has set, which I believe comes up for review in 2+ years from now."

The ball is then firmly in their court. You won't have tendered your resignation at all, and it then becomes THEIR problem to unravel.
IF they are so minded to think you are worth more to them than they are presently paying, and that you are a good investment for THEM they will, if they have any sense at ALL, review and discuss your remuneration and terms immediately. If they DON'T...well then...your mind is made up for you ..you move back to Alaska...but ONLY on the terms of a guaranteed 5 year contract (I didn't like the bit about giving the other guy 2 years to decide to move away or NOT...beware that they are not using you as a pawn to manipulate a person they went to great expense and effort to tempt in the first place ) I would certainly get THAT in writing BEFORE talking to your present employer.
The timing of it all is of vital importance Don. Get all your armament lined up and ready to go, before you embark upon a decision which could unravel EITHER WAY if you don't.
Nick
( PS...I would give my eye teeth and perhaps one testicle to be earning $20,000 WITH benefits right now )

Excellent advice, Nick. Unfortunately, in this day and age, doing this would definitely end up with Boonie back in Alaska, as they'd tell him not to let the door hit him in the @ss on the way out. What you suggested may have worked years ago, but not in the economic climate we have now, and definitely not if they feel he's behind on the learning curve.

Boonie, I feel for ya', buddy. You have quite the dilemma staring you in the face. My vote? If you can get by on what you and your wife make, then stay put. I know the bigger dollars are down the road, but as others have said, having the benefits far outweighs the difference in salary, especially if one of you gets seriously ill. My wife is 54....she's had a heart attack, a cancerous kidney, and has battled atrial fib for several years now. If I had no benefits, I'd be working the rest of my life to pay off those bills. As it is, because we both have health insurance, our out of pocket expenses have been relatively small. Never underestimate having benefits. As for me, I'm also 54, and I make more than $40,000 a year. I have a high school diploma, and I spent 4 years in the Air Force, which has little to do with the job I have now. But I've also been lucky, and have been in the right place at the right time to get jobs that paid fairly well. If I were you...I'd stay where I was, keep learning, and maybe try to find a part time job to help fill in the income.

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

You know, I pray and I pray and I pray.
All my life.
I never get an answer.
Ever.
You could hear a pin drop.

I hear my own voice just fine, but none other.
I am sure I am doing something wrong.
Or being ignored.

Maybe that is my cross to bear.
I gotta' do it all on my own.

"If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"

I'm willing to bet you do get your answers, just not in the way you expect.

Either way, stay or go back, I hope you'll be okay with your choice and not wonder what might have been. Hard to do. I dropped everything and moved to Texas last year, and it was pretty rocky to be honest. The job thing didn't work out and we took a bath on our house so we are currently in an apartment. (Going from 2,000 sq ft and a 2 car garage to a 900 sq ft one br apt is a bit of a change, but we're getting used to being cozy again.) But I am glad I am here, and wouldn't go back even if my old job offered me double my pay.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

I'm willing to bet you do get your answers, just not in the way you expect.

No, I hear my own voice tell me what to do, and it is always what I was gonna' do anyway, so that is how I know it is only my own voice.
And let me just say, I have never really felt 100% great about my choice.
Or it's results.

I am quite sure God has never spoke to me.
I'm not accusing, just saying.
That's his right.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I wouldn't even consider moving back, unless they are willing to help you relocate back to Alaska and pick up the expenses of your moving back there . You also need to make sure that they are a solid business that isn't going to go out of business a few years down the road. If that happens the whole excercise with be for naught. How confident are you in this company that is offering you all this money? You should also re-examine the reasons you left Alaska in the first place. Are they still valid? Maybe you should compare the pluses and minuses of both places before you make a decision. Most importantly get all promises in writting. Anything promised to you verbally is worthless.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-10-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
So, that's 3,856 no's, and 3 yes's.

How could 3 people be wrong?!

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock