Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Fill up your cars - Gas is going up big time today (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fill up your cars - Gas is going up big time today by loafer87gt
Started on: 10-03-2008 01:25 PM
Replies: 181
Last post by: OKflyboy on 12-06-2008 05:26 PM
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Just filled up tonight with ethanol blend at the local BP station....$2.99 a gallon, regular was $3.09 a gallon, and Ultimate ( Premium blend) was $3.39.
IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
OK, where are they actually running out?

Georgia and North Carolina users seem to have reported stations running out of gas, is it just those two states for some reason? Whats the reason, still have refineries closed?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

OK, where are they actually running out?

Georgia and North Carolina users seem to have reported stations running out of gas, is it just those two states for some reason? Whats the reason, still have refineries closed?

I think it's taking a while to get supplies built back up, up in the hills.
Gas dropped 10-20 cents per gallon in 24 hours, here. I think everyone in the city has plenty. And oil prices are dropping like a rock.

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Hit $2.99 a gallon here today.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
As long as we are posting prices too, I filled up for $2.79 today!
Remember the good ol' days?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

By the way, here in Vancouver gas is currently $1.20 per litre, the lowest it's been in ages.

Gas prices have continued downward as I paid $1.16 per litre last night.

My mutual funds have probably all tanked in the last couple of weeks, but at least the price of gas has dropped.
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
Time to go buy gas. $2.57 a gallon. Still too high.
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by:loafer87gt

Topic: Fill up your cars - Gas is going up big time today

This is not intended as a flame but this thread has to go down as the worst prediction ever. Gas is now under $3 at some stations where I live.

Jim

BTW, Thank You.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Yup. $2.96 at the moment. Another buck cheaper and I'll be officially impressed.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Down to $3.35. I expect it to go negative in about a month. They will be paying us to take the gas.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
it went to 2.83 here today. about a mile from my home--I did let out a "Holy Sh**" when I saw the price.

Welcome to the next depression. We may see sub 2 buck gas soon and not be able to afford it.

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
I'll be able to afford it. I have the most secure job in the country!
Fredbearstalksme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FredbearstalksmeSend a Private Message to FredbearstalksmeDirect Link to This Post
Gas was $2.78 two days ago, now its $2.68. This is a very small town/rural area. Diesel is still $3.69. Has anyone seen gas any cheaper?

Fred
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Dropped twice in 12 hours. Was $2.88 last night, $2.84 this morning on my way through town, then $2.82 on my way back home an hour later.
JKFIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JKFIEROSend a Private Message to JKFIERODirect Link to This Post
Still at $3.29 here.

20 miles from here it is $3.09.

And...AND....AND..Not only is the station with the lesser price, the same company as here, but the fuel tanker actually has to drive through our town to GET TO the further town with the cheaper gas !!! Drive farther, pay less....yup...uh huh.....

I don't know WHY things like this confuse me ...

[This message has been edited by JKFIERO (edited 10-10-2008).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
$2.79 today
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Melanie just stopped yesterday at what we call the cheap gas station in Norridgewock. While she was filling up the old man that ownes the station was saying how if the public knew how much they were getting screwed. Everywhere else around it’s like $3.47 a gallon.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Its .25 cents cheaper 60 miles north of here. Has been for a week or so.

Someone want to explain that one to me? Or rather one of the "they're not ripping us off its all legitamate pricing" nutjobs want to explain it.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I'm kicking myself for filling up 10/2 at $3.579 a gallon and now it it $3.249 and I've hardly used any gas. I'll use up my $3.96 gas that I put away for my generator, in case of hurricanes, then refill my gas cans with the low price stuff. No hurricanes in the near future predicted.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
$2.65 this morning.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Anyone hear the reason gas went down? Why the barrel price went down?
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Anyone hear the reason gas went down? Why the barrel price went down?

"On Friday, fears of a global recession helped drive down U.S. crude oil futures prices more than 10 percent to the lowest settlement since September 2007. U.S. crude for November delivery settled on Friday at $77.70 a barrel, down $8.89, or 10.27 percent, on the New York Mercantile Exchange."

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/059738.html

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
So we are buying less because we are penny pinching is that why? I don't really get how else the economy news could lower the price.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
WooHoo, were getting close that that magic under a buck a liter number. Its 1.05 in some places around here.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JKFIERO:

Still at $3.29 here.

20 miles from here it is $3.09.

And...AND....AND..Not only is the station with the lesser price, the same company as here, but the fuel tanker actually has to drive through our town to GET TO the further town with the cheaper gas !!! Drive farther, pay less....yup...uh huh.....

I don't know WHY things like this confuse me ...

Heres something even more confusing. The cheap selling gas stations are getting the SAME gas truck, with the same load to fill their tanks as the higher one down the street. Now are the cheap stations getting ripped off paying higher wholesale price from the truck, or the higher price stations ripping us off for the same cheap gas ?

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Heres something even more confusing. The cheap selling gas stations are getting the SAME gas truck, with the same load to fill their tanks as the higher one down the street. Now are the cheap stations getting ripped off paying higher wholesale price from the truck, or the higher price stations ripping us off for the same cheap gas ?

Just accept the fact that your being ripped off from ANY station. I like how I can go down to the corner 6 blocks away and get gas for $2.69 but if I turn around the other way and go 6 blocks to that snotty-ass neighborhood Edina its $3.00 these 2 stations are less than a mile apart and are the SAME Holiday station but feel they can soak the "rich" for $ .30 more ???
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Highest place in my town is $.15 higher than the lowest--which is right across the street. Conoco being the highest, Citgo being the lowest.
MDFierolvr

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MDFierolvrSend a Private Message to MDFierolvrDirect Link to This Post
DOW closes at +500 on the day. Fill up as soon as ya get the chance because I doubt now that this plan is out that we will see any more of these falling prices. I hope they do but who really knows?
AntiKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AntiKevClick Here to visit AntiKev's HomePageSend a Private Message to AntiKevDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

WooHoo, were getting close that that magic under a buck a liter number. Its 1.05 in some places around here.

Saw it at 1.01 today.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Noticed that 86 octane hit $2.19 on my way home last night. If it keeps up at this rate we'll see it in the <$2 range in the next week or two!
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
We'll see what happens when winter really gets here. A fixed % of refining capacity, pipeline logisics, and storage capacity will very soon be switched over to home heating oil.
And, if prices continue to decline, OPEC will meet again, to keep oil above the $60/bbl break even mark.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-25-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
D B Cooper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D B CooperSend a Private Message to D B CooperDirect Link to This Post
Can someone enlighten me ? I'm wondering why it would have been such a bad idea to pull from the SPR when oil was 150/bbl in July, and replace the reserves now that it's 65/bbl. Especially if nobody would answer how much was being pulled back in july, IMO it could have pressed downward on prices a lot. And the added demand of refilling it now would have some upward pressure; possibly avoiding the need for underproduction to prop up prices...
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Not really enough in SPR to make a difference, and the usual way it is pulled and distributed, is to sell it to the refiners at market value, which usually only happens when there is a shortage. There was no shortage when oil was at $150/bbl--refiners could get all the wanted, in fact, had long term buy contracts. unlike back in the 70s when OPEC shut off the valve to the US.
Oil is routinely cycled in and out of the domes tho, just to make sure everything down there is still working. It's basically a trade tho, in kind, and not a sale.

Remember, SPR is an emergenty reserve, to keep the nation--especially the military running in times of problems. If they had drawn down SPR back in July/Aug 08, and been unable (for whatever reason) to replace the crude, the nation would have lost it's emergency reserve.
High prices alone, do not constitute an emergency. It has to be a combination of at least high prices, low-or no supply, and a national emergency.
I do not remember if they opened the tap after Katrina or not. I know it was discussed, but never did hear if they actually did it or not. Both the Texas and the Louisiana offshore terminals were damaged and down because of Katrina, so they may have implemented a drawdown.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Noticed that 86 octane hit $2.19 on my way home last night. If it keeps up at this rate we'll see it in the <$2 range in the next week or two!

Buh.buh.buh..but I thought $4 was the "fair" market price, I mean theres inflation and cost increases and ... What.... you mean they extra %100 cost increase was purely profit? No way!

I have half a mind to go back and find all the posts where people were defending $3-4 gas as "neccessary" and claiming no one was making any more money because of "inflation" and scream I told you so.

$60 a barell, ~2$ a gallon is reasonable. Not great, but fact is, costs have increased, and $1 or low $1 gas probably isnt realistic anymore.

Hell, I missed the drop from $3.50 to 2.50 last week. I got half a tank of gas and it was like $12, took me a while to figure out how that was.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2008 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Buh.buh.buh..but I thought $4 was the "fair" market price, I mean theres inflation and cost increases and ... What.... you mean they extra %100 cost increase was purely profit? No way!

I have half a mind to go back and find all the posts where people were defending $3-4 gas as "neccessary" and claiming no one was making any more money because of "inflation" and scream I told you so.

$60 a barell, ~2$ a gallon is reasonable. Not great, but fact is, costs have increased, and $1 or low $1 gas probably isnt realistic anymore.

Hell, I missed the drop from $3.50 to 2.50 last week. I got half a tank of gas and it was like $12, took me a while to figure out how that was.

I'm admittedly one of those people, and still think $3-$4/gal gas is in exactly line with $150/bbl of oil. Most refiners do not have huge reserves of crude themselves--they have to buy it at market prices. Even Exxon, largest energy company in the world, has only the 17th largest supply of proven reserves and has to pay for most of what they refine.

I also firmly believe, that $60-$70/bbl for oil (current range) won't last long. $60/bbl is generally accepted as OPEC's break even point. Below that, exploration and development of new fields, and upkeep on old proven fields is no longer profitable. You can thank the Saudis for OPEC only cutting production 150 million bbls/day yesterday. They pressured the rest of OPEC to hold the line at that cut to keep from putting more pressure on the world's economy. The Saudis won't be able to keep the rest of OPEC in line for long, especially if they see US drivers begin to use more gasoline & diesel. The new cartel being proposed between Russia, Iran & a country I forget is another wrench going into the gears. That alliance would probably put more pressure on Europe than it does us tho.

Mike Marden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MardenSend a Private Message to Mike MardenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by loafer87gt:

Just was in at Shell throwing some gas in the car and the lady at the pump asked me if I wanted to fill up as gas was set to rise almost 15 cents a litre this afternoon should the bailout proceed. Just a heads up for you planning on doing any driving this weekend.

Hmmmm gas here is two cents a gallon cheaper today than it was saturday
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

The precipitous drop is happening for two reasons (primarily.)
With the financial situation as it is, all the speculators have pulled their money out of petroleum (and a lot of other investments) and are sitting on it, waiting for the market to bottom out, then pick back up again.
Also, as a response to the price runup that occurred over the summer, many people have sold their gas-hog vehicles and are either driving smaller cars, or are using alternate methods (mass transit, carpooling/vanpooling, teleworking, etc.)
Even though the prices have dropped, it doesn't matter. People have become accustomed to the "inconvenience" of their alternate methods, and the amount of money that has remained in their wallets.

This will likely work in reverse, too.
Since the demand is not there like it was before, the speculators will be less likely to jump back onto petroleum as the next "fad" investment.

Edit - One of the posters on gminsidenews.com was talking about $1.99 gas in Brownsville Texas.
It's not that cheap here. Yet.
Right near my wife's work it's $2.35. And dropping.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-26-2008).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
2.41 here today... And Still dropping by the look of it.
Fredbearstalksme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FredbearstalksmeSend a Private Message to FredbearstalksmeDirect Link to This Post
$2.17 at the Walmart gas station. $2.19 everywhere else. Diesel is $3.39. Has been this price for the last 10 days.

Fred
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2008 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
It dropped yet again, saw $2.15 at QT when I was out yesterday. I'll see if its changed again when I go to work tomorrow...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock