Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Did I find a secret military base in the mountains? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Did I find a secret military base in the mountains? by 84fierotrevor
Started on: 11-07-2006 03:36 PM
Replies: 108
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 11-11-2006 12:54 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fierotrevor:

boonie if i find anything interesting I will email you the pics!

I'm off to work.
Be back at 11:30pm Alaska time.

IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm... must only be about another hour of daylight.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Somebody should have told him his cell phone doesn't work underground...
86SEin93003

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86SEin93003Send a Private Message to 86SEin93003Direct Link to This Post
well its really dark here in cali its been dark for about 45min-1hr now hope everything is ok and the MIB didnt get him
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Alright, somebody call in the troopers...
isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
THE ZOMBIES GOT HIM!! Someone call 411

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Probally ran into some of them people that where on the movie "The Hills Have Eyes" and is being someones *itch right now. Will be keeping up with the Thread to see how it turns out.

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 11-08-2006).]

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
I am back, there was no door. cliff please delete this thread.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I am back, there was no door. cliff please delete this thread.

Hmmm... sounds to me like Trevor got caught and is now being forced to cover his tracks.

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hmmm... sounds to me like Trevor got caught and is now being forced to cover his tracks.

Nope, I just wanted to add some suspense, because What I did find was not suspensfull or interesting in any way, I was joking about cliff deleting the thread. please don't delete it turns out. what is behind the door. is smooothgt. he has been hiding there the last 2 years. the helipad turns out is all bondo, not asphalt.

haha seriously tho. There was not even a flicking door. I didn't have a flashlight the first time I looked in and I guess the shadow from the center beam made it look like a door. I had my head in the hole for a good 20 seconds the first time. Coulda swore I saw a door.

ohwell, all this wondering and not even a door to open the water level droped alot as well. since 2 days ago when I was first there which is odd.

anyways here is some pics. I still don't know what it is. or its purpose. also I went farther along some other trails. and saw a helicopter land on another mountain ridge with some sattilite towers on it.

anyways Im uploading some pics now. Farther along the trail i found really old houses made of stone. must have been from settelers or somthing. Nothing else cool or remotly interesting.

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

84fierotrevor

4998 posts
Member since Oct 2001

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

well the mystery is solved, Trevor needs glasses. There is no door.

here is some pics of some really old houses on another trail tho.

No secret doors there ether

When I was riding the trails today after discovering no stinking door, ti kept going farther down one of the main trails and the road conditions became very nice, no big ruts, juts or anything. really smooth.
and a helicopter landed by the towers on this mountain.

I rode my way down there to get a closer look and came to this stoping me

i gave up after that. I had crashed eryler trying to get to the helipad again "second time" and bent my clutch lever on my bike when i crashed

after that it would restart so i started walking with it pushing it with me. at a downhill slope i hoped on to coast down and put it in third gear and let the clutch out to sort of push start it and it started after a few tries of that. "maybe it flooded when i dumped it" so after all that I gave up and headed back to my truck If i had stayed any longer it would have got dark.

[This message has been edited by 84fierotrevor (edited 11-09-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2006 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I still wanna know what they are or were!
The way they are layed out don't make much since.
Unless they were tower units or something.
Good job, anyway!
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
These things really look like tanks (cisterns) to me. They have obviously been full of water in the past, there is a water line almost to the top of the column and the walls. But if they are, where is the fill? Are there any catch basins or such leading into them?

That one hatch on the top would not be enough to accumulate much water.

Of course they may be filled by a helicopter tanker. You might check the State Firemarshall's Office to see if they are fire fighting cisterns.

Very odd. Someone out there in the community must know what they are.

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 11-09-2006).]

Wolfhound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
The road with a gate has a fair amount of traffic and has recently been graded.
What did the sign on the gate have on it.
Was there a Logo or small print? Like Forest service, ETC
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
The gate has the answers
Wolfhound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Yep " The truth is out there" and written on the gate.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Just take some explosives next trip and one way or another, youll get all the answers......LOL.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Cool pics, man! Thanks for sharing 'em!

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Go to the town hall and find out who owns the property. They will have maps of the area for you to see.

Simple, easy, and a lot less dangerous.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
So what's with the two shacks? Are they tanks, or were there things inside? Did any hobo's hustle you? Did they stink? (Either the shacks or the hobo's)
DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
Been following this thread with a smile, contact the local forestry service and get some topigraphical maps of the area, they should have maps that list all logging roads and identify sites such as the one your visiting. One of my younger brothers keeps these types of maps in his car and can find sites of interest all over the southeast that very few people ever visit. I don't know about cali but the maps available there should be the same as the ones available from the Forest services in this area and they are very handy to have. We can always find nicely equipped shooting ranges in the middle of nowhere, and there are no crowds to deal with! A lot of these sites are not that far off of an established dirt road or trail if you have the maps to get you there. Take the time to get some maps.

The site your visiting does not appear to be military to me, most likely forest service related site as was mentioned on page one of this thread.

------------------
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out if it alive.

PFF
System Bot
achawkins

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
They are secret military septic tanks.

Trevor needs a shower.
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Meth labs??
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

There was not even a flicking door.

yup, they got to him.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
How many lights do you see?

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

..and a helicopter landed by the towers on this mountain.

I rode my way down there to get a closer look and came to this stoping me

Those are more than likely just radio repeater sites. (Like for public safety or commercial 2 way systems.)
Communications companies pick the gawd-awfulest places to build towers. Of course the higher the tower, the further the signal will carry. Hence the mountaintop location. They are frequently accessed by helicopter, and many locations only by helicopter in winter.

Did you notice any smaller concrete abutments near where you were, laid out in any sort of a regular pattern? It's possible that there may have been some sort of communications tower there. Probably would have been a 4 sided tower, 20-25 feet across, on a side. Possibly the site was abandoned and moved to a better location (like the obviously active one in the pics.)
The buildings could have housed transmitters/repeaters or other equipment. Did you notice any conduit, or places where conduit might have been removed? Were there any ~1'x2' slots in the outside walls, near the ceiling, or places where windows like that might have been blocked up?

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-11-2006).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40730 posts
Member since Oct 1999
VSarge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VSargeSend a Private Message to VSargeDirect Link to This Post
Those hills are full of repeater sites. That's what the towers are.

Sarge
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

I will only note that the masonry and the painted "KEEP CLEAR" have hardly weathered at all ... which means that they are probably less than 20 years old.

If the "buildings" are actually water cisterns, the "helipad" could be a catchment. Would water run downhill from the "helipad" to the "buildings?"

I have seen similar catchments and cisterns on Eleuthera island in the Bahamas, where the USAF built a 7900 foot runway (now Governor's Harbor airport - MYEM) that was used to support the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo manned space program and recover the astronauts in the early 60s. Apparently, the catchments were a simpler and cheaper way to obtain potable water than desalination of seawater.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 11-12-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock