Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Did I find a secret military base in the mountains? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Did I find a secret military base in the mountains? by 84fierotrevor
Started on: 11-07-2006 03:36 PM
Replies: 108
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 11-11-2006 12:54 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2006 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fierotrevor:

how do u make a harness? I don't wanna tie a skinny rope around my waste. and drop into the cement building it will hurt hanging like that.

Tie foot loops in the rope, like a ladder.
Easy climbing.
IP: Logged
srat110

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for srat110Send a Private Message to srat110Direct Link to This Post
Back when I used to ride we would go to Colorado twice a year. I ran out of gas once and it sucked. After that I if I knew we were on a long ride I would strap a plastic one gallon gas can I bought at walmart to the front fender and number plate / fork tubes with some bungee cords. Just make sure you use a can that seals tight or you'll smell like gas all day!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2006 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Be aware!
What you are thinking about is dangerous!
You could fall, drown, break a bone, or die.
If you feel like it's not wroth the risk, or above your skill level, DON'T DO IT!

It's often too late, when you're in TOO DEEP!

Always use your head and be carefull!
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Depends how old you are or how dunb you can play it!
Ocoarse, as soon as it hit here, it's all in the open.

Also depends on how hard you worked & how much stuff you broke getting in.

Yeah, you could get in trouble.
But, that's kind of part of it, ain't it!

I would do it, if it looked like there hasn't been any activity in awhile, and no cameras or strange wires.
But I'm interested in this kind of stuff!
(and it's not MY ass on the line, this time!)

Bottom line, use your head.
If it don't feel right to you, don't do it.
But don't confuse clear thought with FEAR, either!
It's supposed too be A LITTLE dangerous & scary.

If it was a "gimmie", it would be an AMUSMENT PARK!!!

I already made up my mind, im going in, there was no do not enter signs from what I could see, from what I can tell, no one was expected to find this, U can't get to it in a 4x4 truck. I crashed once trying to get thru the last part on my dirtbike, and had pick the bike back up to get the bike back down the hilll, "it took me 20 mintues cause its all rutted and went back up and thru again to get to it. and the only reason I made it the second time was because I gave it full throttle and the moment couldn't be stoped. I almost crashed the second time too lol. and getting back to the main trail was just as much as hard,
whatever is in the door it isn't active or used anymore. the cement building is flooded half way with water there is leaves and brush in it as well. the helipad is old and cracking. I have heard storys when I was younger and my mom wanted to buy proporty the locals talked about how people where always trying to find this underground old military base that was built into the mountains to see the enemy ships/planes coming

i don't know weather it is true or not. I talked to my mom today about it, and she said her friend that lives in that area that showed her the proporty she wanted, had a guy come to her door once starving and thirsty at like 3 am and asked for help, and that she gave him a pepsi and slamed the door cause they don;t like people doing that stuff. she also said tonight she thinks her friend said it was a old mining tunnels they turned into a lookout during ether the world war 1 or world war to era.

Don't know if any of its true or not. don't care, I am going to go find out whats behind that door, I'm really wondering now, hell I would go tonight if I wasn't such a pussy, but doing it alone in the dark is to much for my bravness to take on lol.

Im like you boonie. when I was young I used to love exploring stuff. I remember exploring a old house out in the woods once that was sunken into the ground/marsh up to its windows. i got down on all 4's and climbed in and at the back of the house there was enough light pooring into the windows to see red stains on the ground I got outa there because when I was young I didn't know it was paint, and that blood turns brown after it dries, lol.

whatever is behind that door, I am gonna find out tommorow. unless its sealed
"then i will have to get a mos in the marine corps as demolitions instead of 031100 infintry and wait tell i get out to blow the door, J/K" lol

been along time since i explored anything, feel like a kid again! wonder if my offical indiana jones fedora still fits

whats ur email boonie? u gonna be home tommorow morning? I need someone to email the pics to so they can post em here.
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

84fierotrevor

4998 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Be aware!
What you are thinking about is dangerous!
You could fall, drown, break a bone, or die.
If you feel like it's not wroth the risk, or above your skill level, DON'T DO IT!

It's often too late, when you're in TOO DEEP!

Always use your head and be carefull!

thanks for the warning

don't worry if somthing happends, I will leave a paper saying Boonie didn't talk me into it, I did it alone on my own judgment

wait wait no I will blame bush! yes thats perfect!

i know the risks. I used to go caving "spulunking" in arkanswas where some of the caves u had to hold ur breath and go under pulling urself on ur stomach against the water current "freezing ass cold" and come up the other side before u could breath again.

i still have my caving hat with light and hard shell! gonna dig it up and bring it
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

84fierotrevor

4998 posts
Member since Oct 2001
some of my supplies

^^^ for the 1.3 mp camera, and the video record ability.

anything else vital I need?

will get bottle of gas, stethescope hardhat with light and rope tommorow. morning before I head out. also gonna grab some glow sticks, will pick up lighters at the gas station along the way.

also gonna bring some phillips screwdrivers and a hammer so I can make some makeshift handle/steps if need be.

DtheC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
The helipad should be a fair clue as far as dating things as post WW 2. The pad looks very clean, no weeds ect., is the material asphault, cement, or just dirt? If it's just dirt, that may suggest some one has hit the area with some kind of herbacide. Is there a sharp line between plants and the edge of the pad? The road to nowhere raises interesting questions. Is it rough or as smooth as the helipad appears to be? What is the grade, is it steep or gentle? Is the grade constant or does it change? Is the road straight or does it curve? If grade is constant and road is straight, this might sugest a launching ramp? Or it might be for moving artilery to a higher location for firing, something like a Mobile Howitzer, or a smallish tracked rail gun?

Considering the 50's and 60's for a construction date, I'd think it might ba a Fallout Shelter. If it is, the vents may have some type of Dust Filter, to keep Radio Active Dust from entering a living area. So don't be suprised if you find something blocking the vents. If it was a fallout shelter, I'd say it's prolly been abandonded since the late 70's or early 80's. Considering the water you mentioned, if its on the inside as well as the outside, the water has prolly funkified any food and or furnishings. Be very carefull about entering the door, the funkified air may not have much, if any, oxygen left. A resperator for spray paint, may be kinda usless, a SCUBA tank and breather would be recomended. You don't want to go inside and passout/die from lack of oxygen. Be real carefull about the air untill you absolutly positively have exchanged all the 'bad' air for 'fresh' at least twice. Don't mistake this for a cave that usualy has some type of natural ventilation from moving water. If this was a fallout shelter that thing was made to be very very airtight!!!!!!!! And I'd bet my botom dolar the air is real bad.
------------------
Ol' Paint, 88 Base coupe auto.
Turning white on top, like owner.
Leaks a little, like owner.
Doesn't smoke, unlike owner

[This message has been edited by DtheC (edited 11-08-2006).]

FieroRaines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRainesSend a Private Message to FieroRainesDirect Link to This Post

"then i will have to get a mos in the marine corps as demolitions instead of 031100 infintry and wait tell i get out to blow the door, J/K" lol

The Infantry MOS of the Army is 11B, plus skill level and special schools indicators. My full MOS, for example, is 11B1O.

After some research though, I see that you're referring to the Marine Corps MOS of the Infantry Rifleman. So I therefore shoot down my own correction with my standard issue M249 Machine Gun.

In all due seriousness, something like this cannot be done half-assed. What your about to perform is referred to in most circles as Urban Exploration or Infiltration. And, despite it being something fun to do, there are several set standards that most Infiltrators adhere to. The first and foremost of which is safety. The rest are not too much of a problem because the place is abandoned, so here's my advice.

If your bag that you're using cannot hold all the tools you wish to bring, get a bigger bag. The NRA said it best, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Me personally, I'm a sucker for the rucksacks from Tactical Tailor. I am also, however, an Infantryman and used to carrying and maneuvering in tight spots with such a heavy and large pack. It may not be so for you, get what suits you, and make sure you can handle the weight, if you yourself can't handle carrying some of the kit you want, your dirt bike makes a fine platform to strap the extras down to. Expect to be in this place for awhile, hope for the best, pack for the worst. You'll be putting your foot in the door to a quick rescue by telling people where you're going. That there is a helipad nearby the location is something you DO need to mention, as rescue workers can put it back into use and get to you that much quicker by air. When telling someone where you're going, give yourself a realistic time limit. If your not calling in such and such hours, they should phone the proper authorities. This is a double edged sword though, it would pretty much suck if you simply lost track of time in your explorations and suddenly found yourself being yanked out for no reason.
Me personally? I'd give myself a full day, time flies when you're exploring, go early, and keep an eye on the watch, if it starts getting close to nightfall, call it a day, get out, and call your person to make sure they don't freak.
Back t the packing thing, as I said, take what you think you'll need to survive for a few days should you become trapped. This means FOOD and WATER. A bag of Pretzels and a bottle of water isn't going to cut it. get some actual food that will hold without being refrigerated. Pack things such as PBJ sandwhiches, stuff like that, and bring a lot of water. at the very least, three canteens worth (about 3 quarts) of water should do you fine for a stretch, but, as I said before, if you can handle the weight, pack every available space with water. You're gonna get thirsty, and you'll need the water, especially if you become injured.
And taht's another thing, pack a first aid kit. Performing first aid on yourself in the dark sucks, but it can and will be done should you become injured, include all the necessities, bandages, gauze, tape, so on and so forth, some antiseptic such as alcohol, iodine, or even hydrogen peroxide would do, but they cntainers these are sold in are pretty crappy, so that's up to you, in a pinch, some clean water works fine.
On top of that, bring what you wish, a camera of course, FLASHLIGHTS! Bring more than one, and batteries and bulbs for all, Surefire makes kickass flashlights for their size, but the price is relative to the technology level.
If you're bringing rope, make sure it is a rope rated to hold your weight, plus about 100+ pounds more. Making sure your rope can hold 100+ pounds more than your own weight will ensure you get to where you are going with all your gear, rememer, you'll weigh much more with aheavy backpack and soaking clothes, keep it in mind when you start climbing or droping down ropes.
As you expect, things like GPS and cell phones will not work underground, so bring stuff like emergency flares and glowsticks, stuff like these to mark your path or signal rescue workers will expedite your recovery should, god forbid, something happen down there.

Last but not least, for crying out loud, get a buddy to go with you. Doing this kind of thing alone boosts the danger level ten fold.

That's my 2 cents, keep the change.

------------------
They asked me what I felt when I shot an insurgent.

I shrugged and replied: "...Recoil."

[This message has been edited by FieroRaines (edited 11-08-2006).]

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DtheC:

The helipad should be a fair clue as far as dating things as post WW 2. The pad looks very clean, no weeds ect., is the material asphault, cement, or just dirt? If it's just dirt, that may suggest some one has hit the area with some kind of herbacide. Is there a sharp line between plants and the edge of the pad? The road to nowhere raises interesting questions. Is it rough or as smooth as the helipad appears to be? What is the grade, is it steep or gentle? Is the grade constant or does it change? Is the road straight or does it curve? If grade is constant and road is straight, this might sugest a launching ramp? Or it might be for moving artilery to a higher location for firing, something like a Mobile Howitzer, or a smallish tracked rail gun?

Considering the 50's and 60's for a construction date, I'd think it might ba a Fallout Shelter. If it is, the vents may have some type of Dust Filter, to keep Radio Active Dust from entering a living area. So don't be suprised if you find something blocking the vents. If it was a fallout shelter, I'd say it's prolly been abandonded since the late 70's or early 80's. Considering the water you mentioned, if its on the inside as well as the outside, the water has prolly funkified any food and or furnishings. Be very carefull about entering the door, the funkified air may not have much, if any, oxygen left. A resperator for spray paint, may be kinda usless A SCUBA tank and breather would be recomended. You don't want to go inside and passout/die from lack of oxygen.

the helipad is asphalt. there is no weeds in the middle of it. its heald together well. but around the edges the cement is cracking and starting to come of in some spots as chunks. it looks like it used to have white writing on it but has been long scince faded in some spots.
the trail i used to go up the helipad is pretty step. on top of that rain over the years has come down creating rutes that are like a foot deep in it. there is two cement buildings side by side. I only poked my head in the first one and saw the door, no idea what is in the second. it is spaced far enough apart that I may or may not be able to get a running jump and jump from the roof of the first one, to the second one. and look in that one. or find a way to climb up it. i dont remember how tall it is. i may be able to just reach up and pull myself up the second one.

the water halfway up the door in the first one could mean two things.

1. the door is sealed very very well, so no water is leaking past the door to the inside. or

2. the door is not sealed very well and when it was abandon they decided to flood the base and water has leaked out the door. leveling off.

if its number 2. I will have to rent some scuba gear and go back another day.

if its number 1. well we will see whats inside tommorow.

If I am unable to open the door for some reason. I will take better pictures of the building. landing pad. whats holding the landing pad up on the cliff.

the door. inside the cement building. and of the vent pipes. and study. and go from there.
i am also going to look alot more closley at everything. look for numbers, markings. see if i can find anything military related, since everything military has serial numbers of some sort

good idea with the face protection. I have a gas mask would that help? it still has the filter inside.

that or i can fill a baloon with hileoum so when i open the door and see a alien i can suck down the baloon and scream ooh **** in a very high pitched voice and run j/k
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

84fierotrevor

4998 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by FieroRaines:

The Infantry MOS of the Army is 11B, plus skill level and special schools indicators. My full MOS, for example, is 11B1O.

After some research though, I see that you're referring to the Marine Corps MOS of the Infantry Rifleman. So I therefore shoot down my own correction with my standard issue M249 Machine Gun.

In all due seriousness, something like this cannot be done half-assed. What your about to perform is referred to in most circles as Urban Exploration or Infiltration. And, despite it being something fun to do, there are several set standards that most Infiltrators adhere to. The first and foremost of which is safety. The rest are not too much of a problem because the place is abandoned, so here's my advice.

If your bag that you're using cannot hold all the tools you wish to bring, get a bigger bag. The NRA said it best, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Me personally, I'm a sucker for the rucksacks from Tactical Tailor. I am also, however, an Infantryman and used to carrying and maneuvering in tight spots with such a heavy and large pack. It may not be so for you, get what suits you, and make sure you can handle the weight, if you yourself can't handle carrying some of the kit you want, your dirt bike makes a fine platform to strap the extras down to. Expect to be in this place for awhile, hope for the best, pack for the worst. You'll be putting your foot in the door to a quick rescue by telling people where you're going. That there is a helipad nearby the location is something you DO need to mention, as rescue workers can put it back into use and get to you that much quicker by air. When telling someone where you're going, give yourself a realistic time limit. If your not calling in such and such hours, they should phone the proper authorities. This is a double edged sword though, it would pretty much suck if you simply lost track of time in your explorations and suddenly found yourself being yanked out for no reason.
Me personally? I'd give myself a full day, time flies when you're exploring, go early, and keep an eye on the watch, if it starts getting close to nightfall, call it a day, get out, and call your person to make sure they don't freak.
Back t the packing thing, as I said, take what you think you'll need to survive for a few days should you become trapped. This means FOOD and WATER. A bag of Pretzels and a bottle of water isn't going to cut it. get some actual food that will hold without being refrigerated. Pack things such as PBJ sandwhiches, stuff like that, and bring a lot of water. at the very least, three canteens worth (about 3 quarts) of water should do you fine for a stretch, but, as I said before, if you can handle the weight, pack every available space with water. You're gonna get thirsty, and you'll need the water, especially if you become injured.
And taht's another thing, pack a first aid kit. Performing first aid on yourself in the dark sucks, but it can and will be done should you become injured, include all the necessities, bandages, gauze, tape, so on and so forth, some antiseptic such as alcohol, iodine, or even hydrogen peroxide would do, but they cntainers these are sold in are pretty crappy, so that's up to you, in a pinch, some clean water works fine.
On top of that, bring what you wish, a camera of course, FLASHLIGHTS! Bring more than one, and batteries and bulbs for all, Surefire makes kickass flashlights for their size, but the price is relative to the technology level.
If you're bringing rope, make sure it is a rope rated to hold your weight, plus about 100+ pounds more. Making sure your rope can hold 100+ pounds more than your own weight will ensure you get to where you are going with all your gear, rememer, you'll weigh much more with aheavy backpack and soaking clothes, keep it in mind when you start climbing or droping down ropes.
As you expect, things like GPS and cell phones will not work underground, so bring stuff like emergency flares and glowsticks, stuff like these to mark your path or signal rescue workers will expedite your recovery should, god forbid, something happen down there.

Last but not least, for crying out loud, get a buddy to go with you. Doing this kind of thing alone boosts the danger level ten fold.

That's my 2 cents, keep the change.

Thank you, all very good advice none of my friends own dirtbikes to make the 2 hour trip into the mountains with me. walking would surley take over a day. im booking alot of the time on my dirtbike. a little to fast for my own good somtimes.

your right about the supplyes. If I can't fit it all into one backpack. or one trip. I will make a trip and leave a backup at the helipad. then go back and bring up another. if it gets to late I will leave the packs and come back the next day.

if i arrive and my packs are gone, I am getting the **** out of there.
I will make sure the pack I leave has no food so I don't attract any bears or mountin lions as well.

im really thinking this isnt a old military base tho. there would be info on it somewhere. i mean look how secret area 51 is lol. everyone knows its there. I am sure we will all be less impressed with whats behind that door, then we hoped.

got my first aid kit too

DtheC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post

Talk to the old people and see when it first showed up.
Then look a newspapers on microfilm at the libery from that time.
There must be some record of when construction was going on.
Local contractors, stores, hotels, influx of trucks or aircraft, etc.
Look for a slight population boom, or an influx of people in the past.
Talk to the newspaper.
Check county records.
See who owns the property.

Another good place to check would be the Soil & Water Conservation District. for the county in questionm They have been around since the Dust Bowl days. They will have the best maps and/or Air Photos for this area. SWCD is usualy located at or through the US Department of Agriculture, generaly in the same building. Look in the phone book in the County Seat of the area in question.

Dave Crow, Jasper County Soil & Water Conservation District Commisssioner, Newton, Iowa
Elected job, no paycheck, but ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh what a nice long title.
PFF
System Bot
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Hehe, unpaid commissioner jobs... that's me also.

Commissioner Washington State Drainage District #19 Pierce County... get wet and dirty doing my job as commissioner sometimes like this last week. Record all time high 5 day rainfall, local rivers actually changing course, floods everywhere and not a peep on our district phone... our system has worked perfectly. I went out Sunday to check our system and had to pull an entire bed out of one of our ditches some ******* dumped... if we hadn't caught it that afternoon it might have blocked a culvert under a freeway that it was heading for and flooded the 20 blocks north of it. Found some debris caught in a weir at a county stormwater retention structure that afternoon near the end of our system that I notified the county about first thing monday morning. Water had risen 3 feet there overnight... got that cleared just in time, the retention pond had activated with water spilling over the dam structure into the pond where it's designed to go in 20 year storm events, this is the third time in three years I've seen the pond activate. I spent a couple of hours clearing out a dam that had formed in one of our ditches (fallen tree branchs and debris) two weeks ago, hip deep in muck... damn glad we did that now.

All for the annual salary of $0, same income I got as a volunteer fireman 20+ years ago in NY, and just about as rewarding in the sense of a job well done when things go right because you took on a responsibility and accomplished the mission... saving life and property.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

whats ur email boonie? u gonna be home tommorow morning? I need someone to email the pics to so they can post em here.

boondawg@alaska.com

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 11-08-2006).]

DtheC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post

the helipad is asphalt. there is no weeds in the middle of it. its heald together well. but around the edges the cement is cracking and starting to come of in some spots as chunks. it looks like it used to have white writing on it but has been long scince faded in some spots.

the water halfway up the door in the first one could mean two things.

1. the door is sealed very very well, so no water is leaking past the door to the inside. or

2. the door is not sealed very well and when it was abandon they decided to flood the base and water has leaked out the door. leveling off.

if its number 2. I will have to rent some scuba gear and go back another day.
If I am unable to open the door for some reason. I will take better pictures of the building. landing pad. whats holding the landing pad up on the cliff.
good idea with the face protection. I have a gas mask would that help? it still has the filter inside.

that or i can fill a baloon with hileoum so when i open the door and see a alien i can suck down the baloon and scream ooh **** in a very high pitched voice and run j/k

Aspalt Pad is still kinda interesting. Aspalt plants aren't very portable, and once aspalt is mixed and put into a dumptruck it has a life expectancy of 6 hours at the outside. After that it becomes a big azz brick that is very hard to get out of a truck. Trust me on this, I speak from experiance.

Gas mask will not supply you with oxygen, but it may give you a more stylish, sophisticated look that only a coroner can apreciate.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

I am sure we will all be less impressed with whats behind that door, then we hoped.

For me, just getting to the door, and then getting in the door is a success!
The success is in the attempt!
It's the journey.
Go get em', Indy!

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Gas mask will not supply you with oxygen, but it may give you a more stylish, sophisticated look that only a coroner can apreciate.

DOH!
I fell out the chair on that one!
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Thats what its all about. is leaving one cool looking cadavair! I mean I'm trying to find the mystery of behind the door. If I don't figure it out I can atleast leave the corner with the mystery of WTF some nutjob with a gas mask is doing in a cement hole on a mountain!
maybe I should print out diffrent pics of diffrent types of bread and carry them on me to make it even more of a mystery for them
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2006 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

maybe I should print out diffrent pics of diffrent types of bread and carry them on me to make it even more of a mystery for them

A computerized way of leaving breadcrumbs?
Remember, it's Cali.............

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
sweet! thanks to series I got a snapshot of ggogle earth with it, and the cordanties. now this MIGHT not be it. but im almost positve. unless there is another one somewhere else. then this is it. the roads sure do look alot more accesible from space lol. that or the photo is old. also the trail leading off from the right didn't exsist when i was there last time. u can see the buildings im talking about tho by the helipad

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

i know that it isn't possbile. im just a scardy cat but that whole is dark, and I have a funny feeling somthing might grab my leg, "obveisly it wont lol." when im in the water.
how do you open a door with a wheel on it? u just spin it counter clockwise right?

leatherman, a lighter, a mag light, extra batterys.

Wish I could go with you, or should I say I was closer. I would go in,

I’m confined space certified. That sort of thing doesn't bother me at all, In fact it's just my cup of tea.

Get a 1 gallon gas can, strap it to the side of the bike. Much safer than a 2 liter bottle.

Large crows foot, nail puller can be used as a hammer or pry bar, about 2’ long one should do you.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

VSarge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VSargeSend a Private Message to VSargeDirect Link to This Post
Being in Santiago Canyon it's most likely a weather station supply depot or something similiar. Those hills are loaded with stuff like that. I was stationed at MCAS El Toro, the remains of which should be visible from up there. It's most likely accessible by 4x4, I know I went all over those hills in a Toy. The infantry guys used to practice entries and stuff on some of those older unused places. Came around a corner to find a string of Marines hanging from a chopper floating by my window. The next time I was there I drove up onto a hilltop to find myself in the middle of a bunch of fellow jarheads.

Drop a cheap sump pump in it and pump the water out. Or even just get a siphon hose started and come back later.

Sarge
PFF
System Bot
VSarge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VSargeSend a Private Message to VSargeDirect Link to This Post
The other possibility just popped into my head. Bordering the Santiago range is the old ammo dump. Lots of old bunkers that are no longer used. If you come across some signs that say stay out on a seemingly empty area ya might wanna stay out. The old practice range is back there also. Lots of unexploded crap in the ground.

Sarge
tutnkmn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tutnkmnSend a Private Message to tutnkmnDirect Link to This Post
This thing might also be an abandoned radar station as part of the DEW (Distant Early Warning) line used in the Cold War for tracking incoming Soviet missles/aircraft?

Sorry, just checked that. DEW line did not go to Cali. Still might be a radar station though.

[This message has been edited by tutnkmn (edited 11-08-2006).]

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
Damn that sounds neat... wish I could go with you.

Have fun, be safe, and take lots of photos.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Here's the closest pic from Mapquest, look at the plane!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I expect the video to be on YouTube... Anyone wanna buy the rights to the movie script or game rights?

...but stay safe, of course. If ther are signs posted, obviously we don't know you.
isthiswhereiputausername?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

I expect the video to be on YouTube... Anyone wanna buy the rights to the movie script or game rights?

...but stay safe, of course. If ther are signs posted, obviously we don't know you.

Actually.. this one would be..... LOL

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/045444.html

Exerps from the future youtube video....
JoeBob: hey Jimbob, we just shot ourselves a sasquatch!
Jimbob: oh s**t!!!!
JoeBob: well, he is already shot and I'm hungry from chasing him
JimBob: Well, you shot him, you clean him...same as the fishing rule....
Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
This sounds like a fun adventure. I asked some friends who I thought might be interested if they could get over by you and help you check things out. Here is the reply I got from them.

all in fun.....I think they were just scared.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
I think it may be related to the MALSITE program spread out around it, turn on google community markers or check out this...

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Number/425550

Mountain area landing site for helicopter training used by the USMC and ANG... those are all over around the location you were at. I wonder if they use or used to use that helipad as a easy point to set down during training.
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
ok i am of to a late start, but im headed out the door now, boonie if i find anything interesting I will email you the pics!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

ok i am of to a late start, but im headed out the door now, boonie if i find anything interesting I will email you the pics!

Cool!

PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Just remember these symbols:

bad:

Very bad:

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post
Hmm... wonder if he was eaten by zombies yet or glowing?

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Probably just got there.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Probably just got there.

Ok... So he must have been zombie bait by now?

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
How about an old Titan missile silo? There used to be quite a few of them sprinkled around remote areas, especially the Southwest and the northern Great Plains. There's one near Tucson that I understand was made into a museum. If that is what it is, watch your step---it's about 75 feet to the bottom...
Edit: As I recall, it didn't look like much on the surface; a couple of small galvanized steel buildings.

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 11-08-2006).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
well, having done some "adventures" like this in my younger days - first thing I will add:
dont go by yourself & have radios, with one guy camped at entrance
** take spray paint, and paint arrows leading out as you go - keeps ya from getting lost **
pics are good & notes are good
flashlights - flourescent good for "aura" light, halogens good for long beam light

another thing, learned from cave expaditions: a watch. sounds simple, but if you are underground for awhile - you lose track of time, and coming out when its dark can be disorientating. either stay the night inside, or get out by nightfall. unless you are familear with the terrain
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by isthiswhereiputausername?:
Ok... So he must have been zombie bait by now?

Naw..... probably can't even get the door open.
Wolfhound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
Could that be a pump station, cistern and staging area for forestry fire fighting helos.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Naw..... probably can't even get the door open.

Or at home still trying to attach the spare gas caan to the bike
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock