Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  All you Pirahna lovers out there... (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
All you Pirahna lovers out there... by RCR
Started on: 04-29-2004 07:33 PM
Replies: 401
Last post by: Daniel H on 02-03-2013 08:26 AM
plazma...man

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for plazma...manSend a Private Message to plazma...manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boristheblade:

Alex, if you need any help translating or things of that sort, I can help.
Originally from Moscow, doesnt get much more Russian than that
So if ya need any help, shoot it my way, boristheblade437@hotmail.com

Thank you Boris.
I'm from Moskow too.

IP: Logged
plazma...man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for plazma...manSend a Private Message to plazma...manDirect Link to This Post

plazma...man

35 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Alex

I am glad you join the forum and I hope you get to make the kit, as you can see there is a lot of interest for it.

What blue is on the plazma ? is it the one from the Yamaha R1 ?

The blue on the bottom is 4 component undercoat ( track bed liner).
Yes,that's my R1.

plazma...man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for plazma...manSend a Private Message to plazma...manDirect Link to This Post

plazma...man

35 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by safari56:

I just bought a F355 kit. It will now be up for sale!!! Totally awsome car! Is that an aluminum cradle?

Not yet.Just painted silver.

plazma...man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for plazma...manSend a Private Message to plazma...manDirect Link to This Post

plazma...man

35 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

The car is magnificent... I hope to see more of them being built very soon - I'd love to own something that unqiue someday.

Question - is that a custom engine cradle I see in the pics of the car on it's side?

Looks like it's time for a new poster in my office!

The rear cradle is modified Cadi Deville's,and the front one is fully custommade.

------------------
alex

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2004 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post

http://www.howard.saturnet.net/plazma/DSC01013mod.jpg

http://www.howard.saturnet.net/plazma/DSC00965.JPG

[This message has been edited by Howard_Sacks (edited 05-13-2004).]

HWNPNCH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HWNPNCHSend a Private Message to HWNPNCHDirect Link to This Post
Hi Alex. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I don't know if you remember me but I met you at the Daytona show, I also own a northstar fiero which was not at the show this past march. Anyways, it was a pleasure meeting you and the Plazma is an awesome car!

Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Howard_Sacks:

http://hyperion.saturnet.net/~webmaster/DSC01013mod.jpg

http://hyperion.saturnet.net/~webmaster/DSC00965.JPG

These are the best pictures yet! (BUMP)

-Flamberge

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2004 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post

http://www.howard.saturnet.net/plazma/DSC01028.JPG

http://www.howard.saturnet.net/plazma/DSC01082.JPG

[This message has been edited by Howard_Sacks (edited 05-14-2004).]

plazma...man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for plazma...manSend a Private Message to plazma...manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Well get on it! heeheehe. Maybe you can ask Songman to archive them for you? I notice the northstar 32 valve logo in the corners.
Question: do you have any pics of the duel pipe set-up?

I just sent the pic of the engine with exhaust to Howard Sacks ( thank him ) to post in full size.Enjoy.

[This message has been edited by plazma...man (edited 05-14-2004).]

Ambush

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmbushClick Here to visit Ambush's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmbushDirect Link to This Post
GOT THE TAIIL!!!!!!!!!!! Found it on Ebay and in the APC catalog, now I want the rest, . PLAZMA, what are you selling first? I say you start with the nose. Where do i send the money?

------------------
Beware, somewhere there lyes an AMBUSH

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Alex
My question about the color of the car was about the color on the body of the car.

Is the blue ouside the car the same paint code as your R1 ?

Thank you for your help

PFF
System Bot
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2004 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
plazma...man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for plazma...manSend a Private Message to plazma...manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Alex
My question about the color of the car was about the color on the body of the car.

Is the blue ouside the car the same paint code as your R1 ?

Thank you for your help

No,it's one of Honda's two-component color.Don't remember the code,but if you realy need I'll find out.

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2004 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Alex
Thank you for your reply
If I decide to go w/ that color I'll look it up under Honda.

[This message has been edited by 85LAMB (edited 05-15-2004).]

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to be blunt...

What's the ETA on the kit being available to the public? You never addressed what funding you would need to make this happen.

Lastly... What is your opinion of making it available to the public? Is it your intention to duplicate your work of art, or keep it a personal (exclusive) show stopper?

Much respect to your efforts!

Greg

plazma...man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for plazma...manSend a Private Message to plazma...manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

Sorry to be blunt...

What's the ETA on the kit being available to the public? You never addressed what funding you would need to make this happen.

Lastly... What is your opinion of making it available to the public? Is it your intention to duplicate your work of art, or keep it a personal (exclusive) show stopper?

Greg

First, thanks for your patience.
Sounds like it's the time for me to post a new topic "Who wants( I mean ready) to buy Piranha Plazma interior kit for 5 grand and the body kit for another 10".
Why only interior?As I said I have interior molds.In order to make professional quolity exterior molds ,the car has to be partially disassembled and refinished,then shipped to the molds fabricator,then,then,then...And I even don't know the one who I can trust.Remember I'm an alien.
So, all together,imagine how much time and money involved we are talking about.
That's why I would like to know how many people want it.

What do you think?

[This message has been edited by plazma...man (edited 05-19-2004).]

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by plazma...man:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

Sorry to be blunt...

Greg

First, thanks for your patience.
Sounds like it's the time for me to post a new topic "Who wants( I mean ready) to buy Piranha Plazma interior kit for 5 grand and the body kit for another 10".
Why only interior?As I said I have interior molds.In order to make professional quolity exterior molds ,the car has to be partially disassembled and refinished,then shipped to the molds fabricator,then,then,then...And I even don't know the one who I can trust.Remember I'm an alien.
So, all together,imagine how much time and money involved we are talking about.
That's why I would like to know how many people want it.

What do you think?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the lack of patience. I thought the patience was just for the story behind the making of it. I just need to know if a Plazma kit is a reality and wait for it, or go with a chop top conversion instead. Countless people have been waiting on this kit and have had their hopes crushed many times over.

This forum would bend over backwards to give you references to shops trustworthy of the tasks at hand. I didn't know that you would have to disassemble the current Plazma to get body molds, so I now realize why you aren't in a rush to get molds made with all the shows coming up. Having people help you get molds made should make you feel much more easy about driving it down the road in the event of an accident. If you don't drive it, then after the molds are made, you can every day and enjoy every second.

I will have the $10k for the body kit in August. As for the interior, I would just like the door panels because I have a custom dash and console already. Count me as the first serious buyer. Who else would be a buyer (not just an interested party)?

Greg

Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
I posted that I was interested and since prices have been stated I'd like to state that I am still considering...

The soonest I could buy it would be around the beginning of next year... most likely this next summer. I know thats not exactly what you wanted to hear but I will be buying this no matter how long it takes me (there is a serious long term interest in this kit)

The reason for not instantly buying is because I just dropped over $10,000 into a motor , seats, etc....

I will be buying this at a future date so once you get things into full production and the first buyers taken care of let me know and I will try and get the funds together.

Thanks and good luck...you're really making some fiero owners dreams come true.

Ambush

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmbushClick Here to visit Ambush's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmbushDirect Link to This Post
I am interested but 10 grand is too much for my taste, I think if this kit gets produced it will be the MOST expensive one on the market. it looks good. I will give it that, but 10 thousand good...... I have to say no.
Plazma. Please do not take this in a bad way, the things I say are just my honest opinion, I am sure there are people that will pay the money you ask and think your product is worth the money. Good luck on your plans and I hope to see a couple of these kits on the road in my area.
I guess I will have to go with that Lambo kit.

------------------

plazma...man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for plazma...manSend a Private Message to plazma...manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ambush:

I am interested but 10 grand is too much for my taste, I think if this kit gets produced it will be the MOST expensive one on the market. it looks good. I will give it that, but 10 thousand good...... I have to say no.
Plazma. Please do not take this in a bad way, the things I say are just my honest opinion, I am sure there are people that will pay the money you ask and think your product is worth the money. Good luck on your plans and I hope to see a couple of these kits on the road in my area.
I guess I will have to go with that Lambo kit.

Well,not to scare you away, but let me ask you,did you ever purchase or put together any Lambo kit ?! ...No?
Then welcome to slavery untill you have the car done or the car will have you...And BTW,collect 30 grand unless you are the mechanical genius and have a shop full of tools and equpment.One my neighbour dude purchased last year the complet Diablo kit as he said for 20 grand ( no Fiero included ! ), and now he's ready to pay another 15 to put together all that mess.
Why so much ? No, it's not much .It's just a non install friendly kit,wrong donor,that's it.
Ask people who got a Lambo kit done , or at list take a look at assembly " book " ( sorry for the rhyme ).
The Piranha-Plazma kit doesn't even require welding,glass swap and almost no wiring rerouting unless for custom applications.
Screwdriver tecnology.Stock donor.
Oh yah,that one will "look like" Lamborgini Diablo !!! ...All right,I give up.

[This message has been edited by plazma...man (edited 05-19-2004).]

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
10K for the body kit? I say thats a very far price. Look at the prices of the Lambo and Ferrari kits. Thats why this kit doesn't get made, Fiero people are the cheapest people around.
PFF
System Bot
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2004 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I dont think people understand what goes into making a car like this.

Originally posted by SOULCRUSHER:

10K for the body kit? I say thats a very far price. Look at the prices of the Lambo and Ferrari kits. Thats why this kit doesn't get made, Fiero people are the cheapest people around.

Ambush

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmbushClick Here to visit Ambush's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmbushDirect Link to This Post

Well,not to scare you away, but let me ask you,did you ever purchase or put together any Lambo kit ?! ...No?
The Piranha-Plazma kit doesn't even require welding,glass swap and almost no wiring rerouting unless for custom applications.
Screwdriver tecnology.Stock donor.
Oh yah,that one will "look like" Lamborgini Diablo !!! ...All right,I give up.

[/QUOTE]
This is why I say that 10 Grand is too much. In the end.....I am purchasing fiberglass molds. Fiberglass is not all the expensive. I understand that this is 5 years out of your life but, fiberglass is still fiberglass. example, i used to design video games, this took anywhere between 1 to 2 years to finish one game. In one case it took me and my team almost 3 years and the game was never released. My point is this....No matter how long it took us, no matter how much we put into it, the game was going to be sold for $59.99.
As for the question, have I ever had a kit? Yes..2. One was completed and sold. The other wasn't what I wanted and it was traded for the 4.9 fiero I have now.
Since the Plazma kit is so "simple" then why so much? that's just my question to myself. Again I am not trying to take away from your sales. These are just my thoughts on the matter. If there are people that are willing to pay the money, then you have a demand. And if you have a demand then you made the right choice and priced it where it should be priced. I really do wish you luck. I am sad that I will not have one but I REALLY would like to see this car on the road. So best of luck with investers and get some out there

------------------

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Obviously it is a one of a kind and easily the nicest home built Fiero re-body yet to be created.

and all this time I thought that you were one of my biggest fan's... This is kinda like my comment's on the F-bird dash eh'...??

Plaz.... You have a PM!

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"
Custom Built W I D E B O D Y ~ GT!! One of One!!
3.4DOHC/5speed swap coming soon..(gathering part's now!)

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

"Who wants( I mean ready) to buy Piranha Plazma interior kit for 5 grand and the body kit for another 10".
What do you think?

I would agree with most when saying that $10,000 is a little steep as far as an asking price goes. This is why -

Take for example Doug at the Fiero Warehouse. He is in possession of molds for one of the most beautiful (stock chassis) rebodies for a Fiero - the IMSA wide body kits. He plans to sell them for above what IRM charged. Let's be safe and say $5500. At that price, you can see that it would cover the cost of the material, labor, probably a little profit, and a PORTION of the cost he incurred to obtain the molds. Once the portion of the purchase price allotted for the cost of buying the molds actually pays off what he spent, it too then becomes profit.

Likewise, PISA (www.cybercars.com) offers 3 or 4 cool Fiero rebodies, that like the Pir/Plazma utilize the stock chassis. Those kits sell for around $4500 each. 308 kits are going for less than $5000 also.

You could buy 2 of any of these for $10,000 and anything over $7500 seems to fall into the highly competitive "exotic replica" market. I love your car, but for $10,000 I could trick out my Fiero and slap a competitor's kit on for the same "what the hell is that?" effect. I could also buy an exotic kit for that amount of money and no offense, but the "wow" factor and recognition would be much higher in most cases compared to the Pir/Plaz.

As for the Plazma, I think you should set up your pricing scheme to recoup a gradual amount of the set up cost with each kit sale instead of trying to cover it in 4 or 5 sales. For example, Material + Labor + 1/20th of production cost + $500 markup - IS REASONABLE. This would move sales along with a low purchase price, pay you $500 for every kit sold, and pay for the making of the molds by the 20th kit. This gives you, as the business owner, an incentive to move product. Good molds will last from 30 to sometimes 60 kits depending on the mold material, workmanship, and the care taken with the molds. That leaves some time to actually make some money in the mean time before having to recondition the molds or have new ones made. Your clients will ultimately decide what price they will or will not pay. If you make it too high, only the elite will be able to afford it and you MAY eventually recoup your costs but the intermittent sales could also kill the business if no one buys it. Too low and you could also run yourself down trying to fill orders - all the while starving the company. Bottom line is that you need to find the middle ground "target demographic" and look for how much they would be willing to pay for such an awesome kit like the Pir/Plaz. Then sell it for that price. Look at other kits on the market and do some research. One thing to note is that often times Kit Car companies diversify their offerings in an effort to even out income. This is how they seem to offer low pricing on a reliably selling kit while commanding a high price for a particularly in demand kit like a Diablo or 355 kit. It becomes an issue of supply and demand.

There are actually people who can splash the kit in a few weeks and be pulling parts from the molds inside of a month (I've seen it done.) But take care to avoid places that do not pride themselves in a quality product. As you said, you are the alien here, and there are many who would take advantage of that. Seek out a good glass shop to build your molds and a good glass man to do the lay up. A poor quality product will tarnish your reputation indefinitely and you will most definitely lose sales because of that - hence Doug @ Fiero Warehouse and his wonderful rep here for providing quality products at a reasonable price.

Sadly, if the selling price the market is willing to pay would not cover your start up and production costs, it may be best to simply avoid the headache and heartache and not put the kit into production. If that were the case you could simply sell the rights to production to someone who has the resources to fund the project and let them take over for an initial purchase price, a licensing fee, or royalty fee on a per production basis.

Lastly, when doing market research, keep in mind that this forum is a limited sales resource for you. Although we are many in number, there are no doubt other people who would love to build one of your kits. You can seek those potential clients out on the kit car and custom car venues to gain sales and possibly drive production costs down and make your business more viable.

I wish you luck plazma..man and I truly hope Laura one day sees production - she deserves it.

--Will Martin

P.S. You should be careful when asking what people think in an open forum - people like me will tell you!

P.P.S. Where are the original molds for the car you have, and do you even own the rights to legally reproduce it?

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 05-20-2004).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Come on guys, we're not hear to argue over pricing on this car. Not having seen it up close, I still think it's a work of art. Sorry Will, in my humble opinion, comparing it to the IMSA wide body is like comparing a Porsche 911 to a VW Bug. There's a coolness factor, but no real comparison. I've been researching Kitcars for several years now, and 10K is not out of the question. Especially for a small run of vehicles. AD 355's and Mirage 355's go for around 7K. Even the best Lambo's go for over 7K. When you start asking for kits in the 5K range (and I'm not saying the IMSA kit is,) you are not getting much.There are a number of 355 knock-offs that go for around 5K, but you get what you pay for. So, with that said, if Alex can produce parts of the same quality as AD, Mirage, or Naerc, then his price is worth it. Besides, this is just an estimate, anyway.

Now to the real heart of the matter, Alex: How did you build your one-off kit, anyway. The Fiero world wants to know.

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the proper way to market the kit is to sell it to the elite for as much as they are willing to pay (even $10k). Then when your elite customers fill their orders, and sales grind to a hault... A simple price drop, or holiday sale will do the trick. Once your total costs are covered, you can drop the price to fill the hundreds of eager (but maybe not fanatic) customers. Finally, when you have sold enough to call it quits... You can sell the molds and rights to a professional kit manufacturer for a chunk of change and perhaps royalties.

Whichever way you do it... It is quite obvious that the time to sell to the fanatics is now before interest rates and gas prices hit the roof. The people with the money WILL find another route to take their isn't a timeline for this project. People who want extreme Fiero's don't want to go to shows using the same excuse when asked where their car is... "I'm waiting for the Plasma kit. It's going to be the coolest".

The only thing I am not totally convinced of is if you you are eager to present a timeline for a kit to be available. If you rather one a one of a kind car that everyone drools over, then more power to you. Welcome to the forum, and I can't wait to see it at a show. Just please don't tell people to be patient if you haven't decided if you are going to produce the kit (or have it produced soon). From the time you say that, people will hault their current plans because the fear that this would actually be available the day they complete their personal project.

I can say to those that want other kitcars will also benefit. As soon as this hits the market... I'm sure many kit owners will sacrifice their complete kits to begin on this one.

PS - We apologize for pulling you into this thread from a kind hearted post about having great taste in the Ronal LZ's.

Best of luck whichever direction you go.

Greg

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2004 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
No. Comparing it to the IMSA is out of line because Doug doesnt have the design time into the IMSA that Alex has into the Pirahna.

Originally posted by RCR:

Come on guys, we're not hear to argue over pricing on this car. Not having seen it up close, I still think it's a work of art. Sorry Will, in my humble opinion, comparing it to the IMSA wide body is like comparing a Porsche 911 to a VW Bug. There's a coolness factor, but no real comparison. I've been researching Kitcars for several years now, and 10K is not out of the question. Especially for a small run of vehicles. AD 355's and Mirage 355's go for around 7K. Even the best Lambo's go for over 7K. When you start asking for kits in the 5K range (and I'm not saying the IMSA kit is,) you are not getting much.There are a number of 355 knock-offs that go for around 5K, but you get what you pay for. So, with that said, if Alex can produce parts of the same quality as AD, Mirage, or Naerc, then his price is worth it. Besides, this is just an estimate, anyway.

Now to the real heart of the matter, Alex: How did you build your one-off kit, anyway. The Fiero world wants to know.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I think that $10k is an accurate price based on what has gone into the making of this car.

To compare it to a $59.99 video game is tremendously inaccurate, as whoever you were working for [designing the game] certainly had a corperate backing to cover that kind of funding whether the game is produced or not - this project is not backed by anyone other than Alex himself! And to simplify the body to being "just cheap fiberglass" is an extreme disservice to everyone who has ever worked on fiberglass (especially of this scale).

I think that it should come down to this: $10k is the price - if you can't afford it, don't whine about it... either build your own, start saving your pennies, or move on!

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Come on guys, we're not hear to argue over pricing on this car. Not having seen it up close, I still think it's a work of art. Sorry Will, in my humble opinion, comparing it to the IMSA wide body is like comparing a Porsche 911 to a VW Bug. There's a coolness factor, but no real comparison. I've been researching Kitcars for several years now, and 10K is not out of the question. Especially for a small run of vehicles. AD 355's and Mirage 355's go for around 7K. Even the best Lambo's go for over 7K.

You are right, why would you pay $10K for the Pir/Plaz when you could get an Air D 355 for $7K? I have been researching Kits and customizing cars for several years also.

No. Comparing it to the IMSA is out of line because Doug doesnt have the design time into the IMSA that Alex has into the Pirahna.

IRM sold the IMSA kits for $3500 - $4500 and they had plenty of design time in on them. Doug is actually incurring quite a bit of cost with the reconditioning and repair of the molds. And what about the PISA kits? Those are total rebodies, and have no doubt just as much time into the design as the Pir/Plaz.

I think that $10k is an accurate price based on what has gone into the making of this car.
I think that it should come down to this: $10k is the price - if you can't afford it, don't whine about it... either build your own, start saving your pennies, or move on!

Jeez man, this is why I hate posting anything here. It turns into this. Minn you have no right to say we are whining - he asked what we thought and I told him. It is funny to me that what you think is alright to post as an opinion on the subject at hand, but when we post our thoughts we are dismissed as whining about the cost. Just trying to depart some industry knowledge to the man which is why this board is here in the first place.

Wait, maybe you are all right - Alex should build it and loose his ass due to not moving any kits. I'll just bet that you guys will not be the first in line to hand over $15,000 to get the complete interior and exterior kit. I know I won't. Like I said, it is an issue of supply and demand. Demand for this $15,000 Fiero rebody? I'll be curiously waiting to see who winds up with one and what they eventually end up paying for it.

Best,

--Will Martin

P.S. Minn nice paint job on your car - I like it!

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 05-20-2004).]

Malakyt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalakytClick Here to visit Malakyt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MalakytDirect Link to This Post

To compare it to a $59.99 video game is tremendously inaccurate, as whoever you were working for [designing the game] certainly had a corperate backing to cover that kind of funding whether the game is produced or not - this project is not backed by anyone other than Alex himself! And to simplify the body to being "just cheap fiberglass" is an extreme disservice to everyone who has ever worked on fiberglass (especially of this scale).

Well put Rob. I know how hard it is to come up with a design and fabricate it, WITH NO BACKING. It is even harder when you get flamed on a forum that you are providing a product for. (i've been there too) The plazma, as to those who have seen it personally, leaves nothing to the imagination. It was well designed, well researched, and it took a lot of time to build the car. For those who say it is too much, how much did the lambo kits cost when they first came out? I am sure it was quite a bit more than 5-7k. Also here is an example of why it is a bit more:

You can purchase a lambo kit for about 5k. after all said and done with parts, add another five. Now... you can either spend 150+ hours (if you are skilled) putting it together yourself and stretching the frame... or you can buy a turnkey for 27k. Now you arent paying for just the car. You're paying for the service.
Plazmam-man has built a bolt on kit, that requires no frame cutting or anything. (screwdriver tech) Now for those who have done any body panel swaping, you know it isnt that difficult. You are paying for the convienience, not just the kit.

YOU HAVE AN AWESOME KIT PLAZMA... i am saving my pennies.

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

"Remember, life will never come to you. You have to chase it and beat it with a stick.
Working on Firebird Interior
If you think i am doing a good job, Give me a positive

PFF
System Bot
anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
Nice car! I think it needs some lambo doors on it!
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will-Martin:

Jeez man, this is why I hate posting anything here. It turns into this. Minn you have no right to say we are whining - he asked what we thought and I told him. It is funny to me that what you think is alright to post as an opinion on the subject at hand, but when we post our thoughts we are dismissed as whining about the cost. Just trying to depart some industry knowledge to the man which is why this board is here in the first place.

Wait, maybe you are all right - Alex should build it and loose his ass due to not moving any kits. I'll just bet that you guys will not be the first in line to hand over $15,000 to get the complete interior and exterior kit. I know I won't. Like I said, it is an issue of supply and demand. Demand for this $15,000 Fiero rebody? I'll be curiously waiting to see who winds up with one and what they eventually end up paying for it.

I didn't intend it to seem like I was "coming down" on the people who I felt were whining... but all-to-often people go way out of their way to produce Fiero-specific items, and everyone says they want one... until the thing is done and produced and then suddenly everyone disappears or b!tches because it's "too expensive". Case in point? Joe Torma & I worked extensively on producing EL Guage sets for our cars... but when it came to do having a custom hand-made low-volume item that would run $250 everyone scattered. Then someone came across Speedhut.com and I gave 'em my templates... and now we have 'em for $100 a set and even I don't own them! ...hmmm... not really sure where I was going with that - Doh!

Anyway, I see your point... and I agree - to an extent

P.S. Minn nice paint job on your car - I like it!

Thanks
Ambush

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmbushClick Here to visit Ambush's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmbushDirect Link to This Post
Stop Everything. Let's get this point clear..... I said 10 grand is too expensive for ME. Others that can afford it, do so. I really want to see this car on the streets.
I also have a fear for Plazma_Man. Just like the Lambo Kits, the Plazma is a highly wanted item. Face it, to some degree we all want this car. Now, when the lambos first showed up. They were well in the 20 thousand range for body and glass. A few of these were sold......Later Lambo kits started poping up all over the place, for a lot less. Here is what happened.(my theory)
Some guy sees that a kit sells for 20 thousand but only cost him 3 thousand to make. He buys the kits, makes the molds, and sells it for far less than the original. This process continues until today, Now you can get the complete kit glass included for around 7 thousand, the newer 6.0 styles are about 10. This has not happened to the IMSA cars because they do not make such a large profit per car. It makes it not worth it to a pirate to copy, And don't try to tell me that it's copy right laws because Lambo, ferrari, viper are all upset.
Bottom LINE.... I love the plazma, pirahna, but I don't think it's worth 10 grand. I also don't think the hooker on the corner is worth $300.00, but someone does , I think Fieroguy_GT said it best. Sell it to the high buyers first then have a sale. i'll be there for the sale

------------------

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I would be happy to buy just the nose ....

Wonderful design work on the enitire car, Plasma !

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 05-21-2004).]

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2004 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry, I've been involved with designing and fabricating 3 car bodies. I know what's involved. If he feels they're worth $10k/body I've got to back him up.

I don't know what the IRM kits sold for but I do know about inflation and money doubles every 10 years. Do the math if IRM sold an IMSA in 1990 for $3500.

There's a world if difference between repairing a finished mold and fabricating and designing an original buck.

and if you think this is bad, every time I try to explain vehicle dynamics here so you stop sounding like idiots, some ******* contradicts me with his interpretation of newton.

Originally posted by Will-Martin:
IRM sold the IMSA kits for $3500 - $4500 and they had plenty of design time in on them. Doug is actually incurring quite a bit of cost with the reconditioning and repair of the molds. And what about the PISA kits? Those are total rebodies, and have no doubt just as much time into the design as the Pir/Plaz.

[This message has been edited by Howard_Sacks (edited 05-21-2004).]

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
All that I can say is $10,000 for the car is a little steep in my opinion. Nothing is a direct bolt on, these parts will not just bolt on and have everything fit right, there will still be a lot of time in prep, allignment of panels, and god forbid (but it happens a lot) and repairs from minor damage in shipping (not a broken panel, but chips, tiny cracks, that sort of thing)

As for Plazma not saying that he wanted our opinion but rather wanted to know who wanted one, if he is going to market these, I sure as hell hope he wants to know what we think. It wouldnt be that good of a business practice to not want to know what possible customers think of his product/pricing.

The 10,000 for the car isnt what baffles me. It is the price on the interior. I can buy a wrecked fire bird for that much, swap the interior (which are very similar as far as I am concerned, I have always thought that whoever designed the Pirahna interior, must have looked at the firebird for ideas) and then sell after whatever else I could salvage from the firebird, or I could just buy the interior for a grand, pay another grand in materials, and some upholstry, and now I have a very similar interior.

Yes this car is amazing, but I think what people seem to forget is that it is still going to be a fiero, with a different body on it. It shouldnt make the value of the car be far beyond that of what is was even brand new. Note: I SAID SHOULDN'T, I KNOW IT DOES THOUGH
Charge what you want, but if you were to do what Will-Martin suggested, not only would you be doing the fiero community even more of a favor, by making this kit available to the masses, and not only the die-hards spending the kids college money or the very well off. To make this kit affordable to more classes of people, the sales numbers would be a lot more, which in turn could reduce cost of production from the glass shop, increase profit, increase popularity, and generally make consumers more happy.

It all depends on how you want to do it, but I can only see you getting a few sales a year at the 10,000 price.... if that even.

For that price, I would much rather go for something like the attack. In my opinion, the attack would be a better buy in every way shape and form. The only reason to go with the pirahna over the attack, is the fact it was at one time a fiero. NOTE: MY OPINION... no need for "no way, the attack is ugly" or anything like that, just stating an opinion, lets not have a heart attack

Also, is it just me or is this kit in the same catagory as the Finale? As far as body style changes, style, yadda yadda, of course some will like the plazma better, some will like the finale better, but are they not very similar as far as changes from stock? Why wouldnt they be priced in the same range? Even if you say the plaza is much better than the finale, then price is higher, but to price is just under double, is insane in my books.

[This message has been edited by soup (edited 05-21-2004).]

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Alex didn't ask for your opinion, he said "who wants."

Really?

"Who wants( I mean ready) to buy Piranha Plazma interior kit for 5 grand and the body kit for another 10"
What do you think?

Guess I misinterpretted him asking what I thought. My mistake.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Guezzzz......after re-reading this thread over and over again, does the $10gs include the interior and body kit (including the millons of wires, gauges ect) ? I forgot.
Ambush

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmbushClick Here to visit Ambush's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmbushDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Guezzzz......after re-reading this thread over and over again, does the $10gs include the interior and body kit (including the millons of wires, gauges ect) ? I forgot.

He said that you didn't need a lot of wireing. That's optional stuff for you to upgrade on. (I think)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock