Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The factory blue '85 Fiero that was saved about a decade ago...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

The factory blue '85 Fiero that was saved about a decade ago... by Fiero84Freak
Started on: 11-09-2011 04:22 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Raydar on 11-12-2011 07:57 PM
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
So if you've been on the forum for a long time - or you like digging through the archives - you probably know or have come across the handful of threads that describe the rescue of a factory-painted '85 blue Fiero.

Here's photos of car from when it was saved ten years ago:

It was confirmed as being an actual factory painted blue car. It's a near fully optioned car with the L44 V6. It's believed this car was a "test bed" for obviously the future '87 blue color, that got out to the public and was actually used and driven. There is also some relative discussion among those that have been in the Fiero game for a long time that there were other experimental colors thrown onto '85 model Fieros, but their actual existence has not been confirmed.

The info verifying the paint code for the blue '85 is as follows (courtesy of the production tag printed along with the VIN on the door):

VIN 1G2PF3791FP230458
'MEMO-P1-1 BRT BLUE MET WA8963' linked to RPOs 01L and 01U (lower and upper, these are typically the same color on each Fiero, and designate below and above the beltline)

A CarFax report was also ran by MinnGreenGT, and the car came back clean. It also shows the history of the car actually having been driven by someone, as it had around 140K miles when it was rescued from the salvage yard it was in.

The archived threads from half a decade back show it is in the hands of The Fiero Factory and was awaiting restoration. Does anyone know the exact status of the car, or have they been by The Fiero Factory to look at it? I've looked through the old threads, but have found no serious updates on the status of the car. I could see some considerable hesitation into it's restoration, as I believe from what I remember there are issues with the title of the car since it was up for salvage. However, it would be interesting if it were restored with it's proper VIN to original factory condition. It would be a one-of-a-kind show car among Fiero enthusiasts.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT... with REALLY high mileage

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealDirect Link to This Post
I've posted here about this car maybe 1 or 2 years ago asking for an update and no one seemed to know what I was talking about! I'm glad I'm not the only crazy person who remembers this car ... unless we shared a dream

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 11-09-2011).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

...unless we shared a dream

yes... this car was incepted into our conciousness...

actually I remember the threads from back then and glad to know there is still some interest in it... It was an awesome jy find!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Fiero84Freak, I saw this car in person at the 2009 Fiero Factory swap meet, it was in one of the other main parts building at that time. I stood right next to it, it was in pieces, the blue panels removed surrounding it, the interior someplace else. The 2.8 was blown, but they still had it. I'm guessing Ed wanted to rebuild the motor, but I don't think they were sure what they were going to do with it in the first place, no time or money to really put into it. I did check the VIN and it was for an 85. I really wanted to buy and it and restore it but at the time I was 17....and my dad said no way. It was rust free for the most part if I remember correctly. I didn't take any pictures because it was dark in the building and it really wasn't much to see, just an everyday fiero frame on wheels. Since Jeremy took over I don't know what has happened to it since then.

My Daily Driver is a blue 85. Not factory though. Lol.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-09-2011).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
LOL! I won't lie. I did have to dig to find the two shots of the car. Couldn't remember if I dreamed those or if it was real....

My personal interest in the car stems from it being one of those incredibly rare things that GM may have "accidentally" let get out. Obviously no one is likely to come across anything like a surviving 89/90 prototype other than the red one held by GM. Then there is the multitudes of the un-informed who get something unique on a Fiero and immediately think that they have something very rare.

I feel this car is a proud example of something that is actually rare, as it's a confirmed paint code - that **technically** wasn't in existence for the model at the time - put on the Fiero. It's amazing that someone was actually able to save the car and documented as it having existed. Considering as we well know, there are many examples of cars of all makes that have custom items put on by the factory, and then are subsequently destroyed after testing. The '89 silver Fiero coupes and Formulas that were crushed about a decade ago come to mind...
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I was hoping this thread WAS the update!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Something rumbles around in my brain that it was sold to someone down Birmingham way. I believe Raydar had some knowledge of the car. Maybe he'll chime in. Has anyone contacted Jeremy about it?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Charlie... That must have been someone else, That's news to me. As far as I know(knew?) it's still in the back building at the Fiero Factory.
I heard that one of the major issues with the car was that the light gray interior pieces are getting difficult to find. Even for the them.

I haven't talked with Jeremy in a while.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
A factory V6 bumper pad coupe? That's rare in itself, isn't it? I didn't think you could get a non-aero V6 until 87 with the SE package. I have never seen a non-aero V6 car except for the 87 SE and the 88 Formula. I have seen (and own one) several 86 SE's, but they are all V6 aero cars. Been wondering about this car off and on over the years.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I've seen it at the Fiero Factory many times...it is sitting in a barn/shed/warehouse just as it was in the pics...awaiting restoration. I will give Jeremy a call and see if he still has it.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 11-10-2011).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:
A factory V6 bumper pad coupe? That's rare in itself, isn't it?

No you could get them this way from the factory in 1985. It was called the "Fiero 2M6", and was essentially a bumper pad car with the GT running gear - kind of a precursor of sorts to the Formula.

This was the best pic I could find courtesy of Google. Notice the '6' instead of the '4' on the far right side. Notice it's also a bumper pad car.

Also, if you look REALLY hard in the second pic of the blue car I posted up, you can read where the "2M6" decal was. The '6' is hard to see, but it has more going on there than a '4' would, meaning it was also likely properly badged correctly as "Fiero 2M6".

Yet this is also another reason I am interested in the car. Not many 2M6 designation Fieros have survived, as with them being a bumper pad car they don't seem to have been as desirable as aero cars and were simply tossed away when they broke. I know for sure I have seen around half a dozen 1985 2M6 cars in salvage yards over the course of my Fiero ownership. The 1985 model year of Fiero is the only year I have not owned, and for sure a clean '85 2M6 wouldn't be a bad thing to have.....

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 11-10-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

My Daily Driver is a blue 85. Not factory though. Lol.

Your daily driver is your Mother`s Blue 1985 !!!

Sorry I couldn`t resist ..........
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

A factory V6 bumper pad coupe? That's rare in itself, isn't it? I didn't think you could get a non-aero V6 until 87 with the SE package. I have never seen a non-aero V6 car except for the 87 SE and the 88 Formula. I have seen (and own one) several 86 SE's, but they are all V6 aero cars. Been wondering about this car off and on over the years.

The Sport Coupe SE was offered with a V6 only in 85. It had non-aero trim. The 86, 87 and 88 Coupes were all 4 cylinders. In those 3 years, the V6 was available in the 86 and 87 SE and Formula notchback body styles. The 86 and 87SE's had the aero package, too

Raydar, sorry for the mistake. Maybe I was thinking about that blue convertible that Anthony (Antmunch) had.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
Raydar, sorry for the mistake. Maybe I was thinking about that blue convertible that Anthony (Antmunch) had.

No problem, Charlie.
I remember that 'Vert. Jeremy bought that one, I think.

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
I SHOULD be going up to the Fiero Factory in the next few weeks to pic up my Fiero.. (hopefully) I'll ask Jeremy about the Blue Fiero while im there.
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

I SHOULD be going up to the Fiero Factory in the next few weeks to pic up my Fiero.. (hopefully) I'll ask Jeremy about the Blue Fiero while im there.

Take some pics of it and post em up for us to see.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
here's the 'discovery' thread... including a CARFAX from MinnGreen... wow 2001...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020118-1-010281.html
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

Take some pics of it and post em up for us to see.

I'll be sure to snap a few pics of it, as long as Jeremy is cool with it.. I'll try to find out what plans, if any, he has for it.

I do know that Jeremy is cleaning out his yard of Fiero's.. Those that could be made road worthy will be made so, then sold off.. Maby it will be one of those, i dunno, depends how bad it is i guess.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 11-10-2011).]

88 Database Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Database GuyClick Here to visit 88 Database Guy's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 Database GuyDirect Link to This Post
Wow, this thread brings back memories! Hard to believe it's been 10 long years. I knew when I pulled it out of that junkyard that it belonged at the Fiero Factory. I hope they can restore her someday. What ever happened to the other Blue '85 that was found? Did anyone ever find one of the other '85 test color cars?

John, aka 88 Database Guy
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 Database Guy:

Wow, this thread brings back memories! Hard to believe it's been 10 long years. I knew when I pulled it out of that junkyard that it belonged at the Fiero Factory. I hope they can restore her someday. What ever happened to the other Blue '85 that was found? Did anyone ever find one of the other '85 test color cars?

John, I'd like to hear more about your side of the story as to how you finally convinced them to release the car to your custody. The archived thread ends abruptly. -Jason
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyDirect Link to This Post
Same here, would love to hear the details.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

No you could get them this way from the factory in 1985. It was called the "Fiero 2M6", and was essentially a bumper pad car with the GT running gear - kind of a precursor of sorts to the Formula.

This was the best pic I could find courtesy of Google. Notice the '6' instead of the '4' on the far right side. Notice it's also a bumper pad car.

Also, if you look REALLY hard in the second pic of the blue car I posted up, you can read where the "2M6" decal was. The '6' is hard to see, but it has more going on there than a '4' would, meaning it was also likely properly badged correctly as "Fiero 2M6".

Yet this is also another reason I am interested in the car. Not many 2M6 designation Fieros have survived, as with them being a bumper pad car they don't seem to have been as desirable as aero cars and were simply tossed away when they broke. I know for sure I have seen around half a dozen 1985 2M6 cars in salvage yards over the course of my Fiero ownership. The 1985 model year of Fiero is the only year I have not owned, and for sure a clean '85 2M6 wouldn't be a bad thing to have.....

There are few around as there were so few built. I bought mine new and even back in the day I only ever found 3 others in 1985. I have seen others since but if I recall there was only somthing like 5-6 thousand made in SE or Sport Coupe trim.
The car really was a 1985 Formula for all intents as it had the GT interior (SE) drivetrain and suspension. It did lack the wing but the dealer delivered mine with the deck off as GT they had to get me to buy the car. So someone has a GT with a luggage rack and is missing the wing.

One thing to note is the bumper pad body and V6 was the lightest version of the Fiero ever built with the larger engine. Not by much but it does give brag rights.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
FYI, here is the thread on the other '85 blue Fiero that was found. The history behind this car isn't as well known, since it did not end up in anyone's hands that has come out as owning it.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-1-060580.html

This thread also details more into the belief that there were potentially other 1985 model Fieros that were painted in "test bed" colors.

What ever happened to the other Blue '85 that was found? Did anyone ever find one of the other '85 test color cars?
Rick Morehouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseDirect Link to This Post
I have; 1G2PF3792FP229433, black,bumper pads, SE, 91,365 miles. S/P I.D.: AAA,A31,AD3,AR9,AO1,A90,BC8,B20,B34,B57,CD4,
C60,DB4,D35,D4T,E5Z,E9Y,GY5,K22,K34,L44,MM4,M17,NA5,NK3,N33,N78,PB4,PON,QPV,TR9,UM6,UW5,U25,U29,VK3,V58,WS1,
WS6,YT9,13D,13I,139,41L,41U,6JH,7JH,8YM,9YM,--BC/CC & WA8555. Car did spit & sputter some 5 yrs. back. Drivers door has a 20" crack in outside panel, sail panels busted. Have to empty out stored parts to get pics(all my cars R temp storage bins) & I'll try to
post up(ask wife to help/do). Fan is missing-have extras, along with front hubs & wheels. Would wheels have been black or grey, I can't
recall what was on it, maybe only grey/tan was ever offered? $500.00--as is--where is. Yep-I know, this should have been in the "for sale" section, but with it as a sorta specialty interests car, in line with sorta specialty interests topic, it's here. Rick
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Wow, this thread brings back memories! Hard to believe it's been 10 long years.

John!
Good to see you. Don't be a stranger!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock