Started on: 04-20-2006 05:20 PM
Replies: 163
Last post by: Reallybig on 03-17-2011 01:20 AM
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
wicked - PM sent to you ....
IP: Logged
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have any trouble shooting tips or documentation on the Cavalier digital instrument cluster? Mine went out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

Does anyone have any trouble shooting tips or documentation on the Cavalier digital instrument cluster? Mine went out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Power supply toasted - there is a guy on eVilbay that sells replacements or you can fix it yourself if you know a bit about electronics (needs the mosfet changed as well as the capacitors).
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
does anyone know how to test one of these to make sure everything lights up? i can bring a 12v alarm battery (from my HID spotlight ) to the junk yard to test one before i go and spend money on it.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

does anyone know how to test one of these to make sure everything lights up? i can bring a 12v alarm battery (from my HID spotlight ) to the junk yard to test one before i go and spend money on it.

Just supply power to the correct pins, if it starts up, it's all good.

NOTE: this does not mean it will quit in the near or distant future - the power supplies are an issue with any of the vacuum fluorescent displays (the green ones) - usually the capacitors dry up and change value, stressing the mosfet till it fails. Cold solder connections are also another weak point. Personally I would replace all the electrolytic caps on the power power and touch up all the soldering.

The power board is the small circuit board on the back of these displays.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i plan on doing that. merlot had one and we couldnt cross reference any parts. and it looked like some had been replaced before.

------------------
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i see some pins listed as a ground which should be listed as a low. then i see some plain grounds. and them some fused power wires. which pins do i need to apply power and ground to so i can test the gauge cluster at the junkyard before i purchase a possible dud

------------------

Wicked86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by alex de jorge:

OK guys,

My C1 is also different form everyone else. I have a '86 GT. My C1 connector is as follows:

P-Black/white

R- Purple

S- Yellow

T- Yellow/Black

U- Dark Brown

B/D- these two have a white wire that loops. It is from B and loops to D.

Can anyone explain? As you can see, my C1-U is not dark green/white, it is dark brown. Do I still take the brown wire and connect it to the cavaliers C1-10 and 11?

I have an 86 duke, but my harness is the same as his, I never saw an answer to this question on here, and I need some help. I have , I'd say about 80% functionality on this dash. My speedo doesn't work, probably because my c1 is different, and I don't know what to hook up, my temp gauge doesn't seem to work, and that is very important, and my gate ajar light doesn't work, it's not essential, but nice to have. My tach starts out low, and seems to rise very slowly, and stay there. I knew the tach wouldn't read properly, as it'a made for a 6, but I was not concerned about this because I'm building a 3.4 right now, however it's behavior doesn't seem right, even for an improperly calibrated tach
I know someone has to have done this swap on an 86 4 banger, so any help would be appreciated, thanks

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2009 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

which pins do i need to apply power and ground to so i can test the gauge cluster at the junkyard before i purchase a possible dud

help?

------------------

Wicked86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post
All you really have to do is connect up the power and ground wires. Once you done that, and turn on the power the dash will go through a self diagnostics. All the segments will light up and then return to the ?home? state. Connect the following:
ground: C1/9, C2/1, C2/2
+12v: C1/1, C1/8, C1/18, C2/3, C2/4, C5/15
Wicked86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post

Wicked86

84 posts
Member since Oct 2008
Someone PLEASE help!!! I now have everything functional except fot my speedo, and tach. The tach I am not sure about because I have a duke. It comes to life, then just hangs around 2 for a while, then very slowly rises, all the way to pin. After about ten minutes, it just totally drops off the chart. Is this normal for an improperly calibrated tach? I am putting a 3.4 in soon, so as long as that's normal, I'm fine with it. Now the speedo, It just stays at 0 all the time, and my c1 is not the same as all of the ones that are listed in the diagrams, so I am lost. Someone please help I've put way too much time into this to just swap back now. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2009 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wicked86:

All you really have to do is connect up the power and ground wires. Once you done that, and turn on the power the dash will go through a self diagnostics. All the segments will light up and then return to the ?home? state. Connect the following:
ground: C1/9, C2/1, C2/2
+12v: C1/1, C1/8, C1/18, C2/3, C2/4, C5/15

sweet thanks.
Wicked86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2009 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post
I may have been a little frustrated

[This message has been edited by Wicked86 (edited 08-17-2009).]

Wicked86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2009 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post
Ok, so I may have been a little frustrated before, and as such, been pissy in this post before I edited it. I have stepped back for a few weeks, and not touched my cluster, and am thinking about trying this again. I have re-read all of the posts on wireing, and I have a question that didn't even occour to me before.

Originally posted by ig88vsbobafett:
C1-M VSS (4000PPM) when speedo board is pluged in) (88 only) BRN
C1-N Above on 85-87 Fieros
Colors dont really matter on this side

Does this mean that I have to leave the stock speedo plugged in somewhere to get the 4000 ppm signal to the digital dash? I am really hoping that someone will answer me, as I have repinned everything back to stock, and I really don't want to "play " with it, I usually like to have a clear idea of what I am doing before I start any project. Someone please help

Wicked86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2009 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post
Ok, it has been an issue with these clusters, getting the tachometer to work, everybody seems to agree on that. Well, the more I thought about it, I remembered that when I owned a Cavy, and wanted to install a monster tach, it was also an issue, the way the coils are set up, you need to run a PULSE X2 box, to get it to red properly. So it should stand to reason that installing the dash out of one of these cars would require the oposite. It doesn't seem that anyone makes a box to divide the pulse, so I impervised. I have gotten mine working beautifully using the stock Fiero tach board.
First, you're going to want to somehow cover the 3 traces on the back of the Cavalier tach board, so that they cannot make any contact, Only cover the three that go into the actual tach servo, you still need all of the lights on the board to function. then you will run lead wires from the servo motor
Now, onto the Fiero board
Totally remove the tach from the board, you will only want the board for this. Nicely enough, this board is well labled, for the positive, ground, and coil. I ran a lead wire from the 12v to one of the ignition wires going into the cluster, and did the same with the ground. For the coil, I simply removed the coil wire from the dash harness, and ran it directly into this board. Now, you will want to connect it to the cavalier tach. The middle of the three leads, connects to the middle hole in the fiero board, the other two, you will have to test, one way will cause it to spike all the way up, and of course, the right way will make it read correctly. The only other thing worth noting here is this. Be very careful not to short the tach board against anything. I fried my first board, after it was all hooked up, and I was putting the dash back together. Luckilly I had a spare dash, that I could pull from. I completely wrapped the second board with electrical tape, to protect it.

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
and hows the end result?
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingDirect Link to This Post
Bump for an update
AWDimprezaL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AWDimprezaLSend a Private Message to AWDimprezaLDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever consider doing a cadillac allante cluster?

------------------
2008 Kawasaki Z1000.
2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca.
1996 Subaru Impreza L-T -201 awhp 213 awtq- 200+k miles. Stock internals.
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2M4.
1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass. 307
1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass. 455

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i was thinking of the cimmeron for a second lol. i was gonna say its a j-body, they have the same cluster. what does the allante cluster look like lit up?

------------------
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!

AWDimprezaL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AWDimprezaLSend a Private Message to AWDimprezaLDirect Link to This Post

i was thinking of the cimmeron for a second lol. i was gonna say its a j-body, they have the same cluster. what does the allante cluster look like lit up?

I cant find any pics of it, but its multi colored digital with whites, blues, reds.
red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
I found a pic

------------------
85 GT 4 speed 2.8L auto X'er

www.freewebs.com/saskatoonfieros/

PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 11-22-2011).]

Jatwaa21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jatwaa21Send a Private Message to Jatwaa21Direct Link to This Post
I can't seem to get my screens to light up, only the warning lights and the tach do anything...I have an 87 Fiero, wired properly I believe. I followed the charts, created my own chart to double check it. After everything was right, I decided to then run a power test to the unit and only got the warning lights, bad unit?
Wicked86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post
Been screwing with this off and on, to get the actual look that I wanted, and even pulled it out shortly after installing a 3.4, but just couldnt stand the look of my stock cluster again. after going through everything from the standard tinted lexan, to a complete fiberglass bezel, I still just couldnt get that "could have been stock" feel that I was looking for. I think I've finally got it, Oh, and I hadnt been on this thread in a long time, but to the guy that asked how the tach board thing worked, it worked like a charm. I am now running a 6 cyllinder, and was fortunate enough to find a tach out of a 6 cyllinder cavalier. aparently the 6's dont have the same coil pack issue, because that ran with no mods.
I may just beef up the backlighting a little, for the tach, and install some always on backlighting for the gauge labels, but I think the brushed aluminum, and tinted lexan has finally done the trick, now, just add aluminum trim the the rest of the car, and it'll blend in exactly like I had planned
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Cimmeron cluster won't work either...I went thru the motions of custom installing one into one of my cars, only to find out it needs the data line from the ecm to run most of the functions...I tried in vain to wire it to the ecm, it just didn't work.. Although, It "may" work with a 7730 ecm, but not with the stock Fiero one.

But, now that I think about it. I was trying an 86 ecm, way back when..I never tried it with an 87-88. I wonder if it would work. I still have it around, I might just try it again. -Jason

Wicked86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post
Anyone ever tried one of these? Awesome dash, it's got a digital tach as well. I've been playing around with the idea of taking the tach out of the Cavy cluster, and attempting to wire in the tach lcd from an 80's vette, but if this could work, it would solve my tach issue, with a whole cluster. this is out of a '90 Riviera
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

I have been playing with attempts of installing a Riviera instrument cluster for sometime now. I have been able to get most, if not all of the functions to work except coolant temp. In fact, I have accummulated 3 or 4 91 Riviera clusters in my efforts. In either case, the cluster requires a BCM (Body Control Module) to operate. Another computer so to speak.
Nexus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NexusSend a Private Message to NexusDirect Link to This Post

Anyone ever tried one of these? Awesome dash, it's got a digital tach as well. I've been playing around with the idea of taking the tach out of the Cavy cluster, and attempting to wire in the tach lcd from an 80's vette, but if this could work, it would solve my tach issue, with a whole cluster. this is out of a '90 Riviera

I like this idea of using the riviera panel. Make any head way on the gremlins?

Do you have any pics of it in the car yet or are even that far along the process?
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post
Nexus,

I have placed that project on hold for a spell. Might start it back up in the spring as I will have plenty of time to work and play with my toys. I retire at the end of the year.

The reason for the hold is that I am in the process of installing a Digital HVAC system from a Grand Prix. The Rivieria cluster also has the functionality for the installation of a digital HVAC system. For the record, I was successful in getting the Riviera digital instrument cluster to work. As mentioned, the only instrument that is not or was not functional was the coolent temp gauge. That unit receives its informaiton for the PCM and not the BCM (Body Control Module) that is needed for the instrument cluster install.

If interested, I can provide wiring diagrams for the install.

Good luck.

Mike
Nexus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NexusSend a Private Message to NexusDirect Link to This Post
That would be great information for sure

I really want to change the guages in my car...I hate the stock look and the Riviera cluster seemd to peak my interest...My only issue is that it will be some time before I get to changing it. I have other projects that need finnishing first.

I'm just doing my research and brain storming to get preparred for the Guage switch

Would you be willing to show me pics of the Grand Prix Cluster?

Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated and i thank-you for your response

[This message has been edited by Nexus (edited 10-29-2010).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post

I had one of these, but I also have the DOHC and my RPM redline has been modified to 7400. The Tach only goes up to about 5500-6000 ish. So I tossed it.

Good luck getting this to work, i'll be watching for it. I love the look.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, 1996 3.4 DOHC and a GT clip

PFF
System Bot
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
I have one of those gauge panels as well and need the pin outs for it -- especially to get the tach to work.....
It's called a UB-3 Gauge Cluster by GM - but they have 3 or 4 different styles called UB-3, Olds, Buick and Caddy.....

[This message has been edited by larini74 (edited 10-29-2010).]

Nexus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NexusSend a Private Message to NexusDirect Link to This Post
This setup is pretty cool I think, does anyone have a pic of it installed in their car?
Wicked86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post
Through everything that I'm working on, I just keep comming back to this dash, thinking of ways to make it better. Found a digital tach, that I think will look right at home in this cluster, and from my basic estimate, it should fit. Did a quick photoshop, (with my crappy, free software, lol) but you guys'll get the idea.

also, I remembered that in one of these threads, someone had asked about light filters, and modifying the color. I tried, briefly, to find the post, but couldnt. Anyway, guitar center sells color gels very cheap, but they dont stock em, have to be ordered. I went over a lot of light charts, and looks to me like, starting with green, you have some options, could possibly be filtered to blue, white, and shades of yellow, or amber. I'm probably going to try and mess around with this, and see what I can do. It should work, the only problem that I see, is possibly making it too dim, from filtering it, then putting the tinted plexi back on. Personally, i think it would look real slick to use multiple colors, giving the indicators actual warning zones.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
That rivera dash would be the nicest digital dash ever if someone could get it to work. Id speend some cash on that
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:
If interested, I can provide wiring diagrams for the install.

Mike

Interested... Can you please provide the information?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Interested... Can you please provide the information?

Also highly interested in this, I would like this info myself too.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
JScott, you have a pm....
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
A couple of items on these dash units. The Temp sensors is the same one used in all 90-92 Cadillac's. I do have 2 or 3 of these dash's in my garage I grab them when I fine them at Pul-N-Sav. I can use them in either of my cars (88 with a 4.9 and 85 with a 3.4 DOHC). So if anyone wants one drop me an offer (I have all the plugs and Temp sensor).

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Through everything that I'm working on, I just keep comming back to this dash, thinking of ways to make it better. Found a digital tach, that I think will look right at home in this cluster, and from my basic estimate, it should fit. Did a quick photoshop, (with my crappy, free software, lol) but you guys'll get the idea.

also, I remembered that in one of these threads, someone had asked about light filters, and modifying the color. I tried, briefly, to find the post, but couldnt. Anyway, guitar center sells color gels very cheap, but they dont stock em, have to be ordered. I went over a lot of light charts, and looks to me like, starting with green, you have some options, could possibly be filtered to blue, white, and shades of yellow, or amber. I'm probably going to try and mess around with this, and see what I can do. It should work, the only problem that I see, is possibly making it too dim, from filtering it, then putting the tinted plexi back on. Personally, i think it would look real slick to use multiple colors, giving the indicators actual warning zones.

yea, i believe that was me. search for the term vacuum florescent display. i think. or whatever the technical term is for those. VFD?

------------------
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!

since i seem to be getting so many PM's about my hitch, ill answer right here
the trailor hitch/bike rack hitch jack, lifting and resting points...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock