Started on: 04-20-2006 05:20 PM
Replies: 163
Last post by: Reallybig on 03-17-2011 01:20 AM
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Since the cavalier surround has a "lip", i think I'm gonna try to notch the fiero surround to accept the cavalier surround. I really like the black out look, but I like the factory legends on the cavalier face better.

Also, the ambient temp sensor may get mounted under the screen by the wiper motor after the wiring is determined.
IP: Logged
UCFieroCharger

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
Im going to hook mine up today. I dont have any wire with me so i cant hook up the temp sensor, but ill get everythign else in.

I had a thought about doing what you said with using the stock cav cover. I think if you split up the headlight switch and the dimmer switch and put them side by side on the top right of the cluster they would be out of the way enough. It would take some filling to do that, but i think it would work.

I decided I liked the blacked out look better, but im going to round the top corners of it at a later date. when my bigger project gets started. muahaha!

------------------

UCFieroCharger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
ok, RJ ran into a problem here....

my C1 is completely different wiring from what you described. Probably combining the fact that there is no cruise and its an 84 makes up for it, but Can anyone tell me what the wiring is.

The colors are as follows

N-Black/white
P-purple
R-yellow
S-yellow
T-brown

After hooking everythign up, the only thing that is not working is the tach.

The speedo seems accurate, and the lights are functioning properly.
The fuel gague looks accurate.
The battery meter is steady(good, but I dont know if its actually working or not).
The oil pressure gague is not working b/c I did not have one in my car.
The Coolant temp looks good.

Im pretty sure my tach is not working because I have a wire wrong.
can someoen explain to me what "C1-10 Speed sig. Out to ecm ----------------- C1-U VSS to Cruise and ECM Drk green/Wht " this wire is exactly? I am guessing its somethign to syncronize the ecm based on your speed? Any help would be awesome! thanks!

-RJ

------------------

ig88vsbobafett

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by UCFieroCharger:

ok, RJ ran into a problem here....

my C1 is completely different wiring from what you described. Probably combining the fact that there is no cruise and its an 84 makes up for it, but Can anyone tell me what the wiring is.

The colors are as follows

N-Black/white
P-purple
R-yellow
S-yellow
T-brown

After hooking everythign up, the only thing that is not working is the tach.

The speedo seems accurate, and the lights are functioning properly.
The fuel gague looks accurate.
The battery meter is steady(good, but I dont know if its actually working or not).
The oil pressure gague is not working b/c I did not have one in my car.
The Coolant temp looks good.

Im pretty sure my tach is not working because I have a wire wrong.
can someoen explain to me what "C1-10 Speed sig. Out to ecm ----------------- C1-U VSS to Cruise and ECM Drk green/Wht " this wire is exactly? I am guessing its somethign to syncronize the ecm based on your speed? Any help would be awesome! thanks!

-RJ

I will try to figure this out when i get up tommrow. But in the mean time dose any one have a 84 Seveice Manual with the C1 PIN OUTS ? it sucks because i just sold my 84 service manual
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ig88vsbobafett:

. But in the mean time dose any one have a 84 Seveice Manual with the C1 PIN OUTS ? it sucks because i just sold my 84 service manual

By C1 you mean the connector to the speedometer board of the 18 pin connector on the back? There is some inconsistency between years on which one is C1, C2, and C3

Anyway I have the 84 book and can give you the pinouts

18 pin connector (C206)

1- upshift
2- left t signal
3 0 illumination
4 - rt turn sig
5 - ignition
6 - oil
7 - fuel
8 - fasten seat belts
9 - ignition
10 - check engine
11- ground
12 - hi beam
13 - door ajar
14 - brake
15 - illumination
16 - spare
17 - spare
18 tach

12 pin (C205)

1 - open
2 - open
3 - open
4 - ground
5 - open
6 - open
7 - illumination
8 - open
9 - ignition
10 - rear deck ajar
11 - temp sender
12 - illumination

Connector to the speedo board (84 ONLY!!) (C204)

A - open
B - opem
C - open
D - cruise on input
E - servo position sensor lo
F - Vacuum valve control
G - resume/accel
H - open
I - open
J - servo positon hi
K -ground
L -Brake input
M -set/coast input
N - Vent valve control
O - open
P - Ground
Q - open
R -VSS lo
S - VSS hi
T - Ignition
U - VSS to ECM

UCFieroCharger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
see the speedo one is where mine isnt the same, mine only has 5 wires on it, not the 14 or whatever that you described. I guess ill just have to mess with it a bit til i figure it out. Thanks anyways
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
The above listed pinouts for the speedo board are for 84 with cruise control ONLY.

There are less connections on the 84's without cruise and 85+ years of cars....
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
All the 84 speedometer boards have copper on both sides, (even the non cruise ones).

85+ and up only have copper on one side and are much simpler.

As for the speedometer board (84 non cruise, 85-88):

A - not used
B - not used

C - not used
D - not used
E - not used
F - not used

G - not used
H - not used
J - not used

K - not used
L - not used
M - 4000 pulse per mile buffered VSS (88 only)

N - 4000 pulse per mile buffered VSS (86-87) ?? per Gary W
P - black/white - ground
R - puple/white - from the VSS (low)
S - Yellow - from the VSS (high)

T - yellow/black - Ignition power to cluster
U - Dark green/white - 2000 pulse per mile Vehicle speed sensor signal to ECM and Cruise

I hope that helps??

- Jonathan

88GTFormula

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
can someone explain to me what exactly is needed to keep the cruise function ? like in major detail 'gimmie the never done it before, dummy version'
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2006 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTFormula:

can someone explain to me what exactly is needed to keep the cruise function ? like in major detail 'gimmie the never done it before, dummy version'

I came into this thread late and I'm confused...someone asked for the 84 pinout. The 84 with cruise is different from all other Fieros because the cruise is in the cluster. Is the car you are talking about an 84?

Otherwise, if you have an 85, or and 86-88 GT you need to get a VSS wire going to the cruise control module in addition to the VSS to the ECM. The 87 -88 coupes have the cruise integral to the ECM and you only need one VSS to the ECM.

I hope that helps??

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Jon - i made a mistake earlier and my 88 formula does NOT have cruise. Does that mean that I do not need to mess with a speedo buffer when I hook up the cavalier dash ? (and since the cruise would be part of the ECM there is probably not a buffer in the gauge cluster anyway (?))

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 05-01-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
UCFieroCharger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
Ok, well i found out the tach on my dash is bad, Im working on making one that will be as digital as the one that was in there out of the fiero tach...we will see how it works. Other than that, I dont think that my ECM is getting a good signal from my dash, could this be because of the tach? the car will want to and sometimes will die at stop lights after driving for more than 10 min. after looking through the technical pages for a while I think its the ECM, not htat it is bad, more of I dont have something hooked up right. How are you guys hooking the out to ECM wire? on the fiero isnt the ECM and VSS wire the same one? on the cavalier dash, therea re 2 different wires for it. What are you guys doing for it?
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by UCFieroCharger:

Ok, well i found out the tach on my dash is bad, Im working on making one that will be as digital as the one that was in there out of the fiero tach...we will see how it works. Other than that, I dont think that my ECM is getting a good signal from my dash, could this be because of the tach? the car will want to and sometimes will die at stop lights after driving for more than 10 min. after looking through the technical pages for a while I think its the ECM, not htat it is bad, more of I dont have something hooked up right. How are you guys hooking the out to ECM wire? on the fiero isnt the ECM and VSS wire the same one? on the cavalier dash, therea re 2 different wires for it. What are you guys doing for it?

Im pretty sure i still have my extra tach (from messing up my first digital dash led) Pm me and we can work out a deal

other then that hows every one elses comming ?
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2006 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

ig88vsbobafett

3446 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Jon - i made a mistake earlier and my 88 formula does NOT have cruise. Does that mean that I do not need to mess with a speedo buffer when I hook up the cavalier dash ? (and since the cruise would be part of the ECM there is probably not a buffer in the gauge cluster anyway (?))

I belive you just need the buffer for a Hud or/and cruise
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2006 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
So wheres the progress pics from the other ppl doing them ??

Mines still woking great but the dimmer works when it wants to (WAY to bight at night when its not working
UCFieroCharger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2006 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UCFieroChargerSend a Private Message to UCFieroChargerDirect Link to This Post
my fiero is kaputt so umm yeah. the dash works well though!
Saber49

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2006 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
Mine was completed a month or two ago... i just lost track of this thread... but thanks to many on this forum it works great... the only thing missing is an outdoor temp sensor and there discontinued so the hunt begins lol... anyway here are some finished results pics... all gauges work perfectly except the outdoor temp sensor which is blank due to no sensor.

Ok so you can see it was completed with the cavalier surround and a piece of tinted lexan cut and fit to go over the guages... that way when its all off it looks like a blank tv screen... when you turn the car on it comes to life and shines through excellently. I think using the cavalier surround is the only way to go... its the only way to make it look factory anyway...

All work was completed by PBJ... Masterful... just masterful

Hope this helps others wishing to complete digital dash swaps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Saber49 (edited 07-18-2006).]

ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2006 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
bumpy
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Umm... wow... that tach sure is bling

Does the Cavalier tach not work with the 4.9 ecu? Just curious...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 10-15-2006).]

Saber49

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Umm... wow... that tach sure is bling

Does the Cavalier tach not work with the 4.9 ecu? Just curious...

It does work but its not calibrated properly... the tach looks alot bigger then it is because the door it open... when the door is closed all you see is the top half... and its in a small enclosed space between the door and the dash pod so it actually looks quite nice... that and its better then peering through the steering wheel to find my rpm reading...
alex de jorge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
OK guys,

My C1 is also different form everyone else. I have a '86 GT. My C1 connector is as follows:

P-Black/white

R- Purple

S- Yellow

T- Yellow/Black

U- Dark Brown

B/D- these two have a white wire that loops. It is from B and loops to D.

Can anyone explain? As you can see, my C1-U is not dark green/white, it is dark brown. Do I still take the brown wire and connect it to the cavaliers C1-10 and 11?
PFF
System Bot
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Here are pics of my progres so far:

Here is what my C1 connector form the fiero looks like. Notice that the colors of the wires are different from the schematics.

Here is what the new C2 cavalier connector looks like. Notice I used the same connector from the fiero.

Here is the new C1 connector to the cavalier dash.

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post

alex de jorge

501 posts
Member since Nov 2005
Here are more pics.

Dash front view

This screw holds the dash from moving at the top and allows me to center it.

This screw at the bottom holds the dash in place at the bottom. I drilled very carefully.

Here I used the metal plate that came with the Cavalier dash. I cut it and used it to secure the dash from the rear. It work great!

On the other side of the screw at front bottom of the dash, I used the rubber strips that were attached to the cavalier dash. This fills the gap quite nicely and keeps out vibrations.

[This message has been edited by alex de jorge (edited 10-18-2006).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
does the Cavalier dash work with a '85?
the reason I ask, is because I have tried 2 other speedo mod's, and neither worked. one was the "riceburner HUD", and the other was a 120 speedo swap. neither seemed to be able to use the VSS signal.
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
OK, got everything mounted and went for a test drive. Here are my first impressions:

1. For some unknown reason when I start the car the tach goes all the way up to redline and stays there until power is taken off.

2. The tinted Lexan I got is not dark enough so you can see well behind the dash.

3. When I turn the lights on, the dash lights go off. I don't know why. When I use the dimmer and turn it down to dim, the dash lights up nicely but when I trun the dial back up evrything else lights up and the dash goes black.

4. My coolant temp gauge on the dash is not registering anything. I don't know if it supposed to.

5. The speedo seems to be accurate as well as the gas gauge and volt gauge.

6. The turn signals and the high beam light all work great.

Overall, great looking dash. I just have to figure out why the tach acts crazy and the dimmer thing has to be fixed.

[This message has been edited by alex de jorge (edited 10-18-2006).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by alex de jorge:

OK, got everything mounted and went for a test drive. Here are my first impressions:

1. For some unknown reason when I start the car the tach goes all the way up to redline and stays there until power is taken off.

2. The tinted Lexan I got is not dark enough so you can see well behind the dash.

3. When I turn the lights on, the dash lights go off. I don't know why. When I use the dimmer and turn it down to dim, the dash lights up nicely but when I trun the dial back up evrything else lights up and the dash goes black.

4. My coolant temp gauge on the dash is not registering anything. I don't know if it supposed to.

5. The speedo seems to be accurate as well as the gas gauge and volt gauge.

6. The turn signals and the high beam light all work great.

Overall, great looking dash. I just have to figure out why the tach acts crazy and the dimmer thing has to be fixed.

sounds like your shorting or back feeding voltage the wrong way.
I pinched one of the wires in my dash and it did the exact same thing, tach went crazy and the lights would go out when I turned them up. Taped up the wire so it wasnt grounding and it worked fine. That was with the stock gages but it could be the same thing.
brandosfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandosfieroSend a Private Message to brandosfieroDirect Link to This Post
i am having the same problem with mine to
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Mask off the areas that show through and paint the rest black. You will not find a piece of lexan tinted enough not to show areas yet still allow you to see the gages clearly

I would double check the wiring for the other problems, make sure your connectors are not shorting to an adjacent pin...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-19-2006).]

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys! I appreciate all the input. I will try the advice.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Alex stopped by today to help me work on my project GT and i was able to snap a couple pictures of his cavalier digital dash conversion.

Not the greatest pics or angles, but u get the idea.

His awesome car.

Thanks Alex for all your help !
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
No problem Tony. I enjoyed working on your project car. It is going to be awesome when everything is put back and the car runs. Thanks for the opportunity.
PFF
System Bot
Saber49

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
Nice work Alex! that dash looks just like mine... i actually thought it was old pictures of mine... looks like the tinted lexan worked out good... Looks great! Keep it up.

------------------

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Saber49,

Thanks. I still have to work out some bugs. My tach is not working properly. I have a ? for you. Is the temp gauge on your dash working? Mine is not and I was wondering if this something normal this type of conversion. Thanks
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2006 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
OK guys, still having some problems with my dimmer. whenever I turn on the headlights, my dash lights go off. When I dimm the interior lights, the dash goes bright. I have check the wiring and can't seem to find the source of the cause. If anyone can help, I'll greatly appreciated.
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
Just keeping out of the archives
Sorry guys i havnt been on here to much lately Pm me if you guys need help and i will try to help
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

ig88vsbobafett

3446 posts
Member since Oct 2001

OK guys, still having some problems with my dimmer. whenever I turn on the headlights, my dash lights go off. When I dimm the interior lights, the dash goes bright. I have check the wiring and can't seem to find the source of the cause. If anyone can help, I'll greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem (i think it has to do with there being more then 1 dimer Sorce (i will try to rember what one i used
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,

I can use all the help.
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

Thanks,

I can use all the help.

They Gray wire will need to be split and Run to C2-12 and C3-3 after that the dimer should work With the headlights ON)

One other thing that i am still having a problem is that when i turn out my head lights the radio lights go out

Saber49

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post

Saber49,

Thanks. I still have to work out some bugs. My tach is not working properly. I have a ? for you. Is the temp gauge on your dash working? Mine is not and I was wondering if this something normal this type of conversion. Thanks

my temp guauge does work... your sensor maybe burned out or the actual digital piece burned... my outdoor temperature gauge does not work however... but if i hooked up a sensor to it... it would read it and work...
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saber49:

my temp guauge does work... your sensor maybe burned out or the actual digital piece burned... my outdoor temperature gauge does not work however... but if i hooked up a sensor to it... it would read it and work...

My tamp guage dose work but it reads 2X the Actual Temp (im using a Temp thing from a early 90s buick)
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock