Cavalier digital dash Install by ig88vsbobafett
Started on: 04-20-2006 05:20 PM
Replies: 163
Last post by: Reallybig on 03-17-2011 01:20 AM
alex de jorge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
My Tach is not working properly. When I turn the car on the needle goes from 0 all the way to the top and stays there. Do you think that my tach is bad or what? It worked fine when I had the original dash. My dash supposedly came out of a 2.8 ltr engine so there should not be any problems. Any advise
IP: Logged
ig88vsbobafett

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
are you sure you have the White wire pulged into ? C1-7 Tach Imput

To me it sounds like its getting power but no signal

[This message has been edited by ig88vsbobafett (edited 11-12-2006).]

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I do. I have no idea why it won't work. Any other idea?
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep alive
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

ig88vsbobafett

3446 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by alex de jorge:

Yes, I do. I have no idea why it won't work. Any other idea?

I sent you a PM
lacelles

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2007 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lacellesClick Here to visit lacelles's HomePageSend a Private Message to lacellesDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Alex for your help

picture of the finish product available on my web site under 3800SC Modification...

[URL=http://www.lacelle.ca[/URL]

------------------
1987 Fiero GT 3800SC
Mods: Custom PCM, 3.4" pulley, ZZP TB Spacer, 180 T-stat, Magnaflow muffler, AeroForce and A/F Ratio gauge, K&N, No-Cat

[This message has been edited by lacelles (edited 12-17-2008).]

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
I was going to swap a berretta cluster in, but it hink ill go witht he cavi if i can find one. Does the cavi have the volt and oil pressure too? or did that come off something else? thats is very cool.
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Lacelles,

It looks awesome! Great work. It looks better than mine. A few questions, Did your plexiglass come tinted or did you do it yourself? Who cut it? I paid $50 to get it cut at a professional glass place and they did a poor job. Is your tach and dimmer working properly?

Thanks,

Alex
lacelles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lacellesClick Here to visit lacelles's HomePageSend a Private Message to lacellesDirect Link to This Post

Lacelles,

It looks awesome! Great work. It looks better than mine. A few questions, Did your plexiglass come tinted or did you do it yourself? Who cut it? I paid $50 to get it cut at a professional glass place and they did a poor job. Is your tach and dimmer working properly?

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks alex... Yes the plexiglass was tinted like that, when I bought it. I got a company to cut if for me www.canusplastics.com. I just gave them my template and 1 day lather and only 35$ CND, done.... Yes my tach and dimmer are working properly now... For my tach I needed the buffer and for the dimmer, you need
Cavalier C2-14 Illumion Battery voltage Gray to Fiero C2-12 Panel illumination input Gray
Cavalier C2-10 Dim Display BRN to Fiero C3-3 Panel Illumination Gray

BTW for the wiring diagram the full credit goes to ig88vsbobafett

------------------
1987 Fiero GT 3800SC
Mods: Custom PCM, 3.4" pulley, ZZP TB Spacer, 180 T-stat, Magnaflow muffler, AeroForce and A/F Ratio gauge, K&N, No-Cat

http://www.azoteliquide.com/fiero

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Lacelles,

What kind of buffer did you use? Where can I get it? and lastly, is it easy to install?

Thanks
lacelles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lacellesClick Here to visit lacelles's HomePageSend a Private Message to lacellesDirect Link to This Post

Lacelles,

What kind of buffer did you use? Where can I get it? and lastly, is it easy to install?

Thanks

I'm not an expert, but the buffer is so that the 3800SC pcm can talk to the cluster...
My buffer was done by FIEROFLYER (member on this forum). just PM him. Installation not more then 10 minutes (at my pace)

------------------
1987 Fiero GT 3800SC

http://www.azoteliquide.com/fiero

PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Lacelles,

Thanks

The 'buffer' is ONLY needed when 'modern' engine swaps are done - the cluster will work fine with the stock power train. The buffer is only for the speedo as well. The only time I have seen a buffer required for the tach is when using a HEI distributor (ie: engine swap) with the 4th generation Firebird cluster. Even then, they are not really a 'buffer' - the speed one clamps the voltage from the engine swapped ECM to a higher usable level for old speedo's - the tach one just basically clips and removes the noise that is generated in a HEI system (the Firebird is a DIS system and the Firebird tach gets a nice clean and even signal - so the tach does not have any filtering as it is not needed).

You need to verify your tach wiring and that you are getting a signal at the cluster. Otherwise the tach could be no good - can you verify the cluster is 100% good? Most people forget that these come out of junk yard cars, and UNLESS you have verified they are working, there is that chance that they have a problem. Don't assume the cluster is 100% ok, I have seen many digital clusters out there with problems - in fact I can pretty much guarantee that if the one you have has never been repaired, it will soon need to be (especially the ones with the vacuum florescent displays - of which the Cavalier's is).

Tim
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Bump
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2007 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincDirect Link to This Post
How high will the Cavalier digital cluster speedometer read?
Does the speedometer may out at 85, 120, etc?
Did the Cavalier ever come with a digital tach that read to 6500 or 7000 RPM?
What years did the Cavalier come with a digital cluster and are there any other cars I should look for digital clusters in?
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Tampalinc,

I believe the cluster will read as high as you can take the vehicle. I have not heard anywhere that it is limited. I did not understand the second ? As far as I know, all cavalier dashes came with an analog tach and I believe that these digital clusters ran form 1987-1989 but don't quote men on that. Are you looking on doing a swap?
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincDirect Link to This Post
I am going to be in the salvage yard picking up some parts on Monday. If I can find one for a good price I am going to give the swap a try.

[This message has been edited by tampalinc (edited 03-15-2007).]

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Tampalinc,

I just took mine out 'cause I could not get the Tach to work. Whenever I started the vehicle, the tach would go all the way and stay up. Everyhting worked like a charm. If want mine I'l let it go for $55 plus shipping. It will include the cluster, two fiero connecotrs and the pod that sorrounds the dash. Let me know.
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
does anyone have the cavalier connector that i need to do this swap?? I have the dash out of an 89 and I have it all together i just need the cavalier connector. Can anybody help me??
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Turboguy327,

Don't waste your time and make life simpler. You can use the fiero connectors on your cluster. That is what I did with mine. You are going to have to get another Fiero connector 'cause one of them is not going to work.
turboguy327

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2007 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
thanks for that alex de jorge ive been goin crazy lookin for it. Fiero connector will be easier to find much thanks
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2007 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Alex,

Did you ever figure out why yours did not work ? Do you think the tach was bad ? How much do u think it would cost to fix ?

It looked really good in your car.
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Tony,

I have no idea why it did not work but I also did not want to spend more time working on it to find out why.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2007 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
I have a couple of the digital dash units with the connectors and the outside air temp sensor. Drop me an email sokolja@adelphia.net if you are interested $60.00 each.

Joe sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
Someone was asking when the speedo cuts out at (im not sure it cuts out at all) i had it up to 95mph and it was still reading fine
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2007 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lacelles:
Thanks alex... Yes the plexiglass was tinted like that, when I bought it. I got a company to cut if for me www.canusplastics.com. I just gave them my template and 1 day lather and only 35$ CND, done....

How did your template work out for you? If it fits well, I'd be interested in contacting this company to cut one for mine.
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2007 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
Found a place to mount the Dimmer switch
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2007 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep out of the Archives Did any one figure out the outside temp sencer ? ive tryed useing one for a buick but it reads like 2x the actual temp
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
link to Cavalier Connector position thread for reference

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/085267.html

and {bump} for info on temp sensor
merlot566jka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
used to have these guages in my z24 many years ago. im about to put a set in my fiero right now...ill let you know how it turns out. btw this is with a 7730 ecm
merlot566jka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
my cluster may be bad, ive got power everywhere it needs to be and i have no digital guages...the tach lights work tho. and the tach burps up from zero when the key is turned to run. other than that, i have nothing. no seat belt light, no brake light, no check engine light. i have power to all of the pins for those lights and the bulbs are good.

perhaps i just wasted 3 hrs putting this damn thing in...i think i need another cluster
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Here are more pics.

Dash front view

Are the 4 bar graphs all on a single display piece, or can they be separated into 4 separate graphs? I see the circuit board behind it, but I'm wondering if the graphs can be individual pieces . Thanks.

Rob
merlot566jka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
nope, they are solid, cannot seperate. thats one of the vacuum florecent displays, its one piece.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by merlot566jka:

nope, they are solid, cannot seperate. thats one of the vacuum florecent displays, its one piece.

That sucks. I'm looking for a bar graph solution for the fuel gauge in my Fi360 dash design. Maybe I'll ask Riceburner98 if he can fab something like it.

Thanks,

Rob
FieroInteriors@Juno.com
FieroVation
Seattle, WA. USA
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Rob, I think Dakota Digital is the only place that makes bar graph displays.
merlot566jka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2008 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
summit has em too
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2008 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saber49:

It does work but its not calibrated properly... the tach looks alot bigger then it is because the door it open... when the door is closed all you see is the top half... and its in a small enclosed space between the door and the dash pod so it actually looks quite nice... that and its better then peering through the steering wheel to find my rpm reading...

But your car is an automatic? and whats with the big shift light?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
bump
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2008 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing that you lose the stock dashs' odo reading if you do this swap, correct?
Looks neat. Don't know where I can find that dash though. I'm not really finding any.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-05-2008).]

Wicked86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wicked86Send a Private Message to Wicked86Direct Link to This Post
does anyone have one of these dashes that they would like to sell? I can not seem to find any in my local boneyards, and they never show up on ebay. Thanks
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock