Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Building a tube frame fiero (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
Building a tube frame fiero by gusshotrod
Started on: 01-14-2005 10:12 PM
Replies: 494
Last post by: PerKr on 01-05-2012 05:39 PM
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Switched from the Moroso oil tank to a Senneker tank and moved it to the front. The Moroso tank ended up about three inches away from the headers, seemed kinda borderline. The Senneker tank packages much better. Also mounted the heat exchanger.

IP: Logged
magot

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for magotSend a Private Message to magotDirect Link to This Post
***Update***

Is there any?

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

How much did that heat exchanger cost you, if you don't mind my asking?

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Sold my IMSA, waiting on payment to buy more parts. I stripped all the parts and will finish all the welding on the chassis this weekend and start on the sheet metal. The heat exchanger was $100 (Ebay-used).
ricreatr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2005 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
well, that is not exactly an uplifting update, but hope you can make some progress that way.

in the meen time . . .
maybe you could give us some info on your corvette geometry?

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

Ok, this is cool. C5 front suspension geometry will fit into Fiero. Upper A-arms are almost 8 inches long. Steering is Mustang 2 with zero bump, RC is two inches, rim width is 8.5, ground clearance is 4 inches.

i have searched all over the net for some numbers. cant find anything. the only thing i can do is try to talk the chev dealer into some quality time with some measurements. or maybe i can just get my brother to buy a new one

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Kind of a milestone today. Chassis is welded out and body shell is fit to frame. I'll have some pics this weekend. What do you want to know about the suspension?

I'm bidding on the DGP body on Ebay now. Still awaiting payment on the IMSA.

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2005 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
sounds like good news!
imsa or dgp sounds real nice. in fact, i dont know what the difference would be?

info i was looking for on the suspension was, wondering if you could fill in the measurements you took to do that drawing? if you are cooking up some sort of conversion, that would be good enough for me, but i would like to dig further into whether or not i could do something.
thanks

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2005 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
The body shell is being mounted and the sheet metal is proceeding. There is a plan to this. First the shell is attached to the frame from the inside, then from the outside, and then the rest (which is the easy part). The sheet metal is 20 GA cold rolled. Most welding to the shell is plug welds through punched holes

Here is a pic of the front end with the front subframe mounts and the battery mount

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 05-08-2005).]

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Sheetmetal continues. Got the cowl and door hinge boxes done. The door hinge plates were welded to the front roll bar upright before they were boxed in. The sheetmetal across the dash area forms a tube and will be used as the defroster plenum, also adds a lot of strength.

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post

gusshotrod

729 posts
Member since Nov 2004

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 05-15-2005).]

normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2005 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
hello I love this thread, have you obtained the Imsa body panels from Ebay and if so have you begun to mount them. thanks Norm

[This message has been edited by normsf (edited 05-27-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post05-27-2005 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
One question should sum this thread up nicely for me...............just how do I become YOU?!

Even when you run into problems, you seem to take it all in stride.
I wanna party with YOU, cowboy!

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
PIP is hosed. Somebody want to post some pics for me?
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Gusshotrod...If you're running Norton's Antivirus (or something else) try shutting it off to post the pics. I was having the same problem and tracked it back to Norton's and a program called Ccapp.

Bob

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
I can post them up if I get them before I head out of here (half hour to an hour). If not, and no one has done it, I'll post them tonight if you want. Email me at wcook29 @ comcast.net
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2005 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about the wait but it was worth it

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2005 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Jake_Dragon

32846 posts
Member since Jan 2001

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2005 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Holy Heck ...!!!!!

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com
Visit the NC Fieros website at TarheelFieros.org

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Nice. You know how the sport compact guys have the clear plexiglass hoods? You need a full set of clear body panels now

------------------
Todd Perkins - the member formerly known as "perkidelic"
todd's hot rods

Zewerr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZewerrClick Here to visit Zewerr's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZewerrDirect Link to This Post
WOW!

------------------

'88 Fiero GT - 3.4L GM Crate engine
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/707857
'91 GMC Syclone - #449
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/716108

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Direct Link to This Post
Jake_Drago, that is awesome man! Good Job!
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Gusshotrod is doing a great job, I wish I had the room to do something like that.
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
OMG.
I want one....
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Oh...Wow!!! That's awesome!!!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Guss: That's one hell of a job using master craftsmanship. Absolutely outstanding. The finished car is bound to be super light and very fast. What do you figure your power to weight ratio will be?
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
hell i'd clearcoat it and drive it like that - same principal behind "naked" bikes

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2005 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

"Pron, for the REST of us!"

avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Are those front tires on backwards?
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2005 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
Nope, just the wrong sides.

Awesome piece of art, Gus.

------------------

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the compliments guys. Everybody needs their ego stroked now and then. And thanks Jake for posting the pics. As you can see the sheet metal is progressing. This is a slow process because of the welding (weld 3/4 inch, hit with air hose, repeat). Should be another two weeks before I can start body mounts. You can probably tell from the pics that the body was channeled (2 1/2 inches). You can also tell that a rear window would probably be useless for rear vision. Right now the plan is to panel the back and use a LCD screen and rear view camera. This would also allow a functional roof scoop to feed the engine, kinda leaniing away from that. I did not get the IMSA body so back to the original plan, which is a GT body with a shortened front end and squared off rear. Power to weight should be in the low 5's.
Boricuasoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoricuasoyClick Here to visit Boricuasoy's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoricuasoyDirect Link to This Post
wow, that rolling chassis is just a work of art, just freaking beautiful.
very very good job.
later.

------------------
mod it until is perfect.

http://members.cardomain.com/boricuaso

PFF
System Bot
Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post

I haven't checked this thread in a while. I am absolutely speechless!

[This message has been edited by Gordo (edited 06-04-2005).]

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
wow, that is really incredible. you will be proud of this for a long, long time.

(are you wishing it was in stainless now?)

VISCERAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VISCERALSend a Private Message to VISCERALDirect Link to This Post
WOW! Congrats

Um....you did say you would share the design.....right :' )

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
I like it just fine without the body,
Fire451

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fire451Click Here to visit Fire451's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fire451Direct Link to This Post
big old bump to see if there is anything new with this......

------------------

86 SE 2.9L
Best ET : 14.9 @ 90 MPH

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Unbelieveable. How much will it weigh without a body? 1500?? Do it to it!

btw- how much to get one for me? (semi-serious question)

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 06-15-2005).]

greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Wow....that is cool as hell. Just one little thing, thoes are directional tires......the front ones need to be switch, the back ones are right :-) lol...had to point that out. But thats is cool as hell. Keep up the good work.

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post06-15-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Wonderful what power plant are you using and is it street or track ???
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2005 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

The talent on this forum is sometimes mind boggling.

Excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock