Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Building a tube frame fiero (Page 6)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
Building a tube frame fiero by gusshotrod
Started on: 01-14-2005 10:12 PM
Replies: 494
Last post by: PerKr on 01-05-2012 05:39 PM
magot

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for magotSend a Private Message to magotDirect Link to This Post
Cool. nice work. A + for you. I was wondering how much this project is going to cost you. Me and a buddy are looking in to makeing one for our high school project. We already have a motor from a fiero because were getting ready to do a 3800 swap. When ever you have blue prints you wanna sell let me know please. This will save me and my buddy trav alot of time. We are not to bright anyway. Thanks
IP: Logged
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Prints will be free when complete.
bryson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
:O <3 you are awesome
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2005 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

There is an idler gear in the cover that meshs with those gears.

the gears in the end case are first and revers as with most porsche 5 speeds

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2005 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post

carefull now, at work, i dont have a chair to sit down in while i read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
BIG BUMP want to see the progress on the rear suspesion upgrade
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Just waiting on the spindles to arrive and the end of the month for some more money to appear. I'm working on the headers/exhaust system while waiting.
FieroHarry

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post

Careful now, your giving us all heart attacks....................

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

...I'm working on the headers/exhaust system while waiting.

That's popcorn and Pepsi worthy too - where's the pics?! This has been a long commercial break

------------------
Todd Perkins - the member formerly known as "perkidelic"
todd's hot rods

aaron88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2005 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaron88Send a Private Message to aaron88Direct Link to This Post
Ultima GTR

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2005 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Ran out of welding fluid so I couldn't finish the exhaust system, but here are some pics anyway. Headers are 1 3/4 inch, mufflers are Edlebrock RPM. Got one of my spindles in friday, the other should be here tuesday, so I can finish the rear suspension next weekend.

PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
BUMPITY BUMPITY BUMPITY BUMP
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
oooo la la can't wait to see the finished project
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Holy Headers!

I got wood.

------------------
Christian Thomas
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver 5.7L ZZ4 5spd

Next Mod: Holley Stealth Ram, late spring/summer

FieroMGDriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMGDriverSend a Private Message to FieroMGDriverDirect Link to This Post
Is that a mock up engine?

------------------
- Matthew

Black, Wingless '87 GT

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, just a bare block and junk heads. I started the re-do on the rear suspension today (switching to C5 spindles).

This is a bolt-in tie bar between the upper a-arm pick up points. I did this so I could pull the engine/trans as a unit.

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, just a bare block and junk heads. I started the re-do on the rear suspension today (switching to C5 spindles).

This is a bolt-in tie bar between the upper a-arm pick up points. I did this so I could pull the engine/trans as a unit.

why are you putng the uprights on the wrong side calipers go towards the front of the car as in this pic

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
It doesn't matter if the caliper is ahead or behind the axle CL. There is existing structure to tie in the toe link as mounted.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-02-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-21-2009).]

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Has nothing to do with anti-dive.
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
i thought it was done as a bit of an afterthought to keep the weight close to the middle of the car.

the new arms look great! what did you not like about the old suspension?

PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
BIG BUMP whats your progress to date need imput keep my brain in gear and workin
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Finished up the rear suspension. In order to be able to adjust the suspension by changing the upper a-arm brackets and because I kept the steering arm on the spindle, I had to make a bracket that would allow the toe link length to be adjustable.

This is the bare bracket installed:

These threaded blocks slip in behind the bracket. The allen bolts on the ends of the bracket prevent any possibility of movement.

This is one of the anti-roll bar mounts. The bearing insert was made from UHMW.

Pics of the suspension:

I have to make a longer link for the anti-roll bar. The lower end of the linkage is mounted on one of the caliper bolts directly on the spindle. I can do this because there is no rubber in the suspension.

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post

gusshotrod

729 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Plenty of room inside wheel. These are 18x9.5. 18x12 will fit.

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 04-09-2005).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
You sold me on the Heim joints. Now I don't even know why I was planning to use conventional tie rods and arm bushings?!?!

------------------
Todd Perkins - the member formerly known as "perkidelic"
todd's hot rods

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
These are Ultra-seals. They go on each side of the rod end. Use a little teflon grease and these seals and the rod ends won't squeak and will last a long time.

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 04-09-2005).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

These are Ultra-seals. They go on each side of the rod end. Use a little teflon grease and these seals and the rod ends won't squeak and will last a long time.

Where do you get yours? I've gotten them from the Chassis Shop before, but I wasn't impressed. The ones I got degraded rapidly and the rubber started cracking.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14219 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Finished up the rear suspension. In order to be able to adjust the suspension by changing the upper a-arm brackets and because I kept the steering arm on the spindle, I had to make a bracket that would allow the toe link length to be adjustable.

This is the bare bracket installed:

I'm curious about why you didn't set up your toe link with a barrel style adjustment...

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I haven't seen any cracking on the seals I've used, first I've heard of it. I had some on a tubular front end on another Fiero for four years and they still look good. Doesn't mean the new ones won't crack.
I used the slots because of easily repeatable settings. I don't want to reset the bump everytime I change the geometry.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Repeatability... you mean 'cause the pivot stays in the same place all the time?

I would have thought that a barrel style adjustment would have good repeatability as well... run it all the way down, then extend 3.5 turns or whatever...

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Will, I misunderstood your question. What do you mean by a "barrel style" adjusment.
PFF
System Bot
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
i used some seals like that from speedway. some of them cracked and peeled off as well after about a year. lost a couple of joints. this is on 88 rear toe links.

what kind of heim joint is that as well?

oh, and i got to say again . . . this is incredible!

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will, I misunderstood your question. What do you mean by a "barrel style" adjusment.

A sleeve with a left hand thread rod end in one end and a right hand thread rod end in the other... like the '88 toe links.... just turn the sleeve to change the length of the link.

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
ooooh, let me guess, ooooh ooh, let me!

he was really trying to make the pivot point of the toe link adjustable so that he could move the upper arm in or out for camber changes and still be able to have correct bumpsteer settings. and there is allready a barrel adjuster to change actual toe.

now if im wrong (again) i will really be

[This message has been edited by ricreatr (edited 04-11-2005).]

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
OK, I understand now. The toe link is adjustable for length in the manner you described. I also needed to be able to move the inner pivot. Two different adjusments for two different bump patterns. There is also an adjustment for height on the steering arm. If I change the camber curve with a shorter upper arm, the toe link also has to get shorter. In order to maintain toe, the inner pivot has to move also. This will get rid of a "C" pattern in bump steer. The outer height adjustment will take care of a straight slant in the bump steer.
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post

gusshotrod

729 posts
Member since Nov 2004
ricreatr: Correct.
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
SSSSSCCCCOOOOORRRRRRREEEEE!
see, if you guys are patient with me, i will learn!
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

OK, I understand now. The toe link is adjustable for length in the manner you described. I also needed to be able to move the inner pivot. Two different adjusments for two different bump patterns. There is also an adjustment for height on the steering arm. If I change the camber curve with a shorter upper arm, the toe link also has to get shorter. In order to maintain toe, the inner pivot has to move also. This will get rid of a "C" pattern in bump steer. The outer height adjustment will take care of a straight slant in the bump steer.

Cool

Boricuasoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoricuasoyClick Here to visit Boricuasoy's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoricuasoyDirect Link to This Post
@gusshotrod this project its looking awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!. cant wait for the blue prints when your done, good job!!!
later.

------------------
mod it until is perfect.

http://members.cardomain.com/boricuaso

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2005 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I tore down the dry sump pump today, everything looks good, need some new seals. I also made the water neck for the intake. Tight quarters.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock