Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Building a tube frame fiero (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
Building a tube frame fiero by gusshotrod
Started on: 01-14-2005 10:12 PM
Replies: 494
Last post by: PerKr on 01-05-2012 05:39 PM
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2005 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Mounted the upper steering shaft, steering quick release, and wheel:

Also mounted the mirror:

Battery mount:

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 02-05-2005).]

IP: Logged
Boricuasoy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2005 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoricuasoyClick Here to visit Boricuasoy's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoricuasoyDirect Link to This Post
how much money in tubing would you say you have spent on this,and how much do you think you would have spent on the chassis alone ones is done?
just so i know how much money i need to have before i takle a project like this!

------------------
mod it until is perfect.

http://members.cardomain.com/boricuaso

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2005 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Steel prices got real goofy when China started buying all the scrap. There's around $400 in steel and maybe another $200 in supplies in the frame. Probably goiing to take about $200 more when I get into the sheet metal.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2005 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
This has got to be one of the most interesting and informative build threads in a long time. Look forward to seeing it as it proceeds to completion. Truly an inspiration to the rest of us mere mortals!!

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com
Visit the NC Fieros website at TarheelFieros.org

Boricuasoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2005 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoricuasoyClick Here to visit Boricuasoy's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoricuasoyDirect Link to This Post
@gusshotrod, about $900 to build a chasiss! thats good to know, may be for a fraction of that ill be able to do my rear end in tube frame. muahahhhaa
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
bump
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2005 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I had to help a high school kid repair an electric race car. I'm working on the rear hubs and rear suspension. Picked up a bunch of goodies today. Should have an update tommorow.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to it...^^^
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Some pictures of the rear suspension:

I received the C5 spindles today. Looks like the redesign from C4 to C5 will be easy. These things are trick and came with 13 inch curved vane rotors. King pin angle is way small. Also picked up the servo for the power steering and started putting that in.

I was looking at the Daytona prototype cars. The big engine ones have to weigh 2200 lbs (which is the target weight for this thing) and have less horspower than is going in this. Yee Hah....

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 02-08-2005).]

YELLOWFIERO88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YELLOWFIERO88Click Here to visit YELLOWFIERO88's HomePageSend a Private Message to YELLOWFIERO88Direct Link to This Post
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Which bearing/hub assemblies are you planning to use with the C5 knuckles?

When ever you get a chance could you measure the seat/flange area of the C5 knuckle and post it here or email it to me. I am very curious about what it would take to adapt the C4 bearing to it.

------------------
Todd Perkins - the member formerly known as "perkidelic"
todd's hot rods

PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

Which bearing/hub assemblies are you planning to use with the C5 knuckles?

When ever you get a chance could you measure the seat/flange area of the C5 knuckle and post it here or email it to me. I am very curious about what it would take to adapt the C4 bearing to it.

I have all the rear bearing parts for the c5 if you need dimensions thats what is being used on the stretch

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Todd: Info is in the "turn the fiero into a racing machine"post.
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
I'LL COME CLEAN YOUR GARAGE!!!!!!!!

just dont stop your work.
(and please tell us you are working on this during the day, not just "evenings")

can you post the differences in c4 and c5 spindles? (fronts right?)

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2005 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Got the hubs in the rear hub carriers. These are C4 hubs:

Also mocked up the rear suspension to make sure everything works:

13 inch curved vane rotors, 18x9.5 rims

Everything looks peachy. I will do the rear upper a-arms and detail work on the rear suspension tommorow.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

Got the hubs in the rear hub carriers. These are C4 hubs:

Also mocked up the rear suspension to make sure everything works:

13 inch curved vane rotors, 18x9.5 rims

Everything looks peachy. I will do the rear upper a-arms and detail work on the rear suspension tommorow.

that bearing looks identical to the s10 bearing

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
It probably is. Also used on Eldo. I know the the S10 axles fit. Pt No 513013.
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post

gusshotrod

729 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Got the seat mounts tubes in:

Also mounted the steering servo and mocked up the shafts. I was worried about binding but no problem.

Also made the rear sway bar mounts and brackets for the upper a-arms. WIth these brackets i can adjust camber with simple shims, I can also adjust dive and roll center height with different brackets, and I can change camber gain by using a spacer behind the bracket. There are tubes thru the frame for the attachment bolts.

I'm using a 3 inch per turn rack and a medium servo.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I bet you can leap over tall buildings with a single bound too (my wife can!).
On a seperate note, won't that single shock cause the knuckle to twist or is there something going on here that I am unaware of (please educate me, always eager to learn).

TEdit for typeos, too many beers to type straight............

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com
Visit the NC Fieros website at TarheelFieros.org

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 02-12-2005).]

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I only took a pic of one of the upper a-arm mount plates. There are two per side.
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post

gusshotrod

729 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Rear upper a-arm and brackets. I still have to finish the front bracket.

I'm going to have a talk with second shift. I think they're slacking off.
PFF
System Bot
88fieroformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fieroformulaClick Here to visit 88fieroformula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88fieroformulaDirect Link to This Post
This is amazing. I want that kind of skill! I'm still young, i've got time lol.

------------------
'89 LX Coupe 5.0
In loving memory of Israel Perez 1985-2004

My cardomain!

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
bump
FieroHarry

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so what body is going on this beast? Maybe a GTP car??
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on all the little brackets which don't rate pictures. Today I started on the front suspension. I priced lower ball joints for the C5 corvette and they were $112....each. I decided to modify the spindles to use the big Chrysler ball joints which are threaded and are only $12 each. The ball joints are pretty much the same size but the C5 ball joint has a 2 in 12 inch taper and the Chrysler has a 1.5 in 12 taper. I have ball joint reamers so this took all of five minutes. The steering arm was cut off the spindles as it's in the wrong place for the car and a new bolt-on steering arm was made. This has a five inch arm which will give slightly more that 30 degrees of steering lock each way and the ackerman was set at 100%. The steering tie rod taper was changed to a 5/8 ID tube to allow the use of a Heim end so that bump can be adjusted. I also got threaded sleeves for the ball joints so I can make the lower a-arms this week end.

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Did you use a C5 upper ball joint? If so, how much are they, if you don't mind me asking?

Nice idea on the Chrysler piece...

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
did you know that all the uprights are the same on the C5 the front and rears are identical the right front and rear ,left front and rear
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I knew that. The right front is the left rear. I had to go to the hospital this morning to get a chunk of Fiero out of my eye so I'm doing the pirate thing today. Worked on the front redesign to change from the C4 to the C5 layout and ran into a BIG problem. There isn't any way I can get the front of the chassis to work with the C5 upper a-arms without some really ugly brackets. Unless I can come up with something, it looks like I build a new front clip. Todd: I'm keeping the C5 upper balljoints as these will come with the uprights if bought used. Bubba: If you need any more of those ventilated shirts I got a few you can have.

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 02-21-2005).]

jsmorter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorter1Send a Private Message to jsmorter1Direct Link to This Post
Stand back and take a picture if you can just to give an overall effect. It looks beautiful

------------------
virgin 88 4 Cyl

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gusshotrod:

Yeah, I knew that. The right front is the left rear. I had to go to the hospital this morning to get a chunk of Fiero out of my eye so I'm doing the pirate think today. Worked on the front redesign to change from the C4 to the C5 layout and ran into a BIG problem. There isn't any way I can get the front of the chassis to work with the C5 upper a-arms without some really ugly brackets. Unless I can come up with something, it looks like I build a new front clip. Todd: I'm keeping the C5 upper balljoints as thes will come with the uprights if bought used. Bubba: If you need any more of those ventilated shirts I got a few you can have.

I guess you play those games with the grinder as well them shirts burn to easy

have you thought of using the new aftermarket Nova splindles they are real short and will except corvair hubs and you can mount the vette brakes on as there is no brake adapter on them you have to make your own as it has provisons to bolt the adapter of your choice

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Is it the increased knuckle height that makes the UCA brackets look ugly? What about a bolt-in structure that would mount and bridge the UCA's? I am planning on running something like this, but my reason is to be able to switch between more aggressive geometry for the track and back to "mild" for the street. That can actually be accomplished with a second set of holes in the brackets, but I like modular design.

------------------
todd's hot rods

PFF
System Bot
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
The problem isn't the spindle height, it's the spindle offset, which puts the upper ball joint much farther out than the C4. If the correct length upper a-arm is used, the inner pick up point is too far away from the frame. I'll see what I can do with Todd's suggestion.

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 02-19-2005).]

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess there's only one way to do this right. I cut off the clip today and cleaned up the frame for the new clip. At no time did the needle on the fun meter move off zero. Should have the new clip on by this week end.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gusshotrod:

Well, I guess there's only one way to do this right. I cut off the clip today and cleaned up the frame for the new clip. At no time did the needle on the fun meter move off zero. Should have the new clip on by this week end.

thats where tacking save time till its right

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
that's sad
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
ok, mourning time is over. more pics
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I finished the other steering arm today and picked up some tubing. Just finished the redesign on cad. Time to start whackin' and tackin'.
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I put the new front clip on today, came out pretty good.

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
how do you just PUT ON A NEW FRONT CLIP !!!!! ?

thats not fair! but it sure looks good. thanks for more pics

[This message has been edited by ricreatr (edited 02-24-2005).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
You wanna enlighten us on that blue front clip just beyond your new fab work?

Gotta keep your eyes on the windshield to see what's ahead guys

------------------
todd's hot rods

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock