Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 9)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
i'm actually going to be looking into an alternative to the cadilac calipers and the adaptors.. looking at adapting subaru 2 pod calipers i think the design is far better than GM calipers and you have more options for performance pads.
IP: Logged
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spearce:

Well Someone had to try it

Steve

So, these are the metric calipers? Does anyone know whether they worked well?

Edit: For purposes of reference, there are two types of Wilwood calipers. If my reading of the measurements on the drawings are correct, the calipers pictured above are the metric calipers.

The Wilwood calipers can be seen here (metric is first in order):
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/025-GMM/index.asp
and
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/024-GM3/index.asp
------------------
FierOmar

[This message has been edited by FierOmar (edited 10-09-2006).]

rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
The results are in! I just got my quote from Van Industries Inc. for laser cutting, drilling, and tapping the caliper brackets. My initial set consisting of two fronts, two rears (-2), and one rear (-3) will be $135.00. Another 10 sets of 2 fronts and two rears (-2) will be $68.00/complete set (or $680.00). I am trying to work out shipping to my place and then will send them out from here. I will only charge the original $68.00 + shipping to your address, no profit on my end. Just trying to help out everyone. I have asked them what the price would be for each, or a set, of the rears (-3) just in case they work out better. I need ten orders to get this price, so if you are interested just let me know (i have heard from about six of you, I think). If you want to wait to see if my set are ok, then hang tight. I will post pics when I get them.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
rjblaze:

These are for the version 2 10 degree rotation brackets correct? I would be interested in a set for the rear only if possible.

Thanks
Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 10-09-2006).]

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Sent you a PM, I'm in for a set.
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rjblaze:

The results are in! I just got my quote from Van Industries Inc. for laser cutting, drilling, and tapping the caliper brackets. My initial set consisting of two fronts, two rears (-2), and one rear (-3) will be $135.00. Another 10 sets of 2 fronts and two rears (-2) will be $68.00/complete set (or $680.00). I am trying to work out shipping to my place and then will send them out from here. I will only charge the original $68.00 + shipping to your address, no profit on my end. Just trying to help out everyone. I have asked them what the price would be for each, or a set, of the rears (-3) just in case they work out better. I need ten orders to get this price, so if you are interested just let me know (i have heard from about six of you, I think). If you want to wait to see if my set are ok, then hang tight. I will post pics when I get them.

put me in for a set
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
PM sent.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
I'm in once you test em'
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Well, we are up to five with a sixth maybe (once tested). We need ten (not including my initial) to get the $68.00/four piece set price. I am going on vacation from the 18th to the 24th. I hopefully will have enough orders by the time I get back (before would be better) to get them produced and shipped. I wish I could cover the entire first-run cost myself, but at $680.00 + shipping(?) for the required order of ten sets/order, it is a little tough for me to cover. By the way, I do accept PayPay (as some had asked), and will not ask for any payment (the $68.00) until the order is placed. We can square up on the shipping after I send them to you. Also a set is 2 fronts and 2 10 degree rears in plain 3/8" thick steel, no chrome or powder coat (maybe in the future if I get a powdercoater).
Thanks for your support. By the way, the price might go up to $80.00/set after the first ten (you guys helped me to get this rolling), but is only a possibility depending on demand.
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
I might be interested in one or two sets. I'll be making some decisions regarding brakes within the next week.

------------------
FierOmar

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought... perhaps a new would get a few more hits. This thread is not really about a group buy and those that read it previously might not have looked here to see a group buy going on.
PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
The posting rules really say not to do that. But if cliff sys it's ok, then I will.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
thats a really good price for the sets.. count me in for atleast one set, maybe two
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Please P.M. me also with your definites so that I can keep track of the orders, thanks. It seem like we are getting close!!!
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
It's too early to let this thread go.

------------------
FierOmar

rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
We made it! I have at least 9 bracket orders so far and am sure the 10th will be easily sold. I will contact the Van Industries today to see if they can start making them now without a deposit or not. I will p.m. each of the original nine people about this and give them my PayPal ID and my address for mailing.

Thanks to all the people who helped me get this rolling. This is a great deal that I couldn't keep to myself. I will still be taking orders after these original 10 (plus mine), but will still need ten more orders to get the same price. Good luck to all. P.M. me with your interest or orders.

Thanks
Bob
Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Just PM the info please
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Just sent my money.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
And SCYTHE makes 10!!!!!! No more extras, sorry Kohburn. I will place a second order of ten if there is the demand. So if you want a second set I will get them to you then. I have P.M.d everyone with the payment info. and we will square on shipping later. The sooner I get the paymwents the sooner they will start (need a sizable deposit to start). They probably will go out U.S.P.S as the main office is closer to me. They are supposed to be done by the 10/26 so I can pick them up in Birdsboro, Pa.

Thanks All
Especially Will and Kohburn who really got this going!
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2006 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
PLEASE make sure that you include you PFF screen name along with your payment and that you have PM'd me with your request. It is getting a little rough to keep track of everyone if the names keep changing on me.

Thanks
Bob
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Just to let everyone know, I am sending the deposit check via overnight mail to Van Indusrties on Tuesday (17th) morning. I received orders for 21 sets and got payments from nine of you (thanks everyone that sent via paypal, I got them all. #10 has to resend). I will need to receive the payments from the other 11 people by the 25th so that I can get them the 26th if they are done.

Thanks
Bob
PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
The first round of orders has been finalized. FlyFieroGT was the last one of 21. Anyone placing and order after 7:00 a.m. 10/16/06 will have to wait for the next round (if I get enough orders fror ten more).

Thanks
Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
Oh, we can send via paypal?! Send me a PM with your email address so I can skip visiting the post office
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I didn't realize that PayPal keeps $2.50 for each of your $68.00 payments! Would you guys mind if I included that with your shipping? Two of you already sent extra, so this does not apply to you. Just thought I'd ask first.

Is this OK with everybody?
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Thats fine with me. Its well worth it.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
no problem
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
That means I still owe you 50 cents. Put it on my shipping bill

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Wow! I didn't realize that PayPal keeps $2.50 for each of your $68.00 payments! Would you guys mind if I included that with your shipping? Two of you already sent extra, so this does not apply to you. Just thought I'd ask first.

fine with me
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post

That's only credit card paypal correct. Bank transfer should be free. ???
dmancheno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierOmar:

So, these are the metric calipers? Does anyone know whether they worked well?

Edit: For purposes of reference, there are two types of Wilwood calipers. If my reading of the measurements on the drawings are correct, the calipers pictured above are the metric calipers.

The Wilwood calipers can be seen here (metric is first in order):
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/025-GMM/index.asp
and
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/024-GM3/index.asp

I wonder if they will work with the WCF Brake caliper brackets and mounting hardware only. $349.00
http://www.westcoastfiero.com/brakes/brakes_13.html
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
My rotors came in today. I was surprised at how much they weighed. The package of 4 weighed in at 57 pounds! I can hardly wait to get the brackets so I can get started.

PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guy's ! I'm back......just rolled in from the Philly airport.....oh yeah, it's tomorrow already! I was notified by Charlie at Van Industries that they got our deposit check and are making the brackets. They won't be ready tomorrow (today) the 25th, but should be ready by this coming Monday the 30th. Since I won't be able to pick them up myself as originally planned, I am going to have Charlie send them UPS COD to my place so we get them faster. If we had to wait for me to pick them up we could be waiting at least two more weeks or more (work sucks!). I will let everyone know when they are in my hands. Sorry for the delay, I am doing the best that I can. Thanks for your patience.

Bob
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
You're doing a fine job. Keep us posted!

Thanks again for all your hard work.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

You're doing a fine job. Keep us posted!

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Ditto!

Thanks for the update
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2006 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dmancheno:
I wonder if they will work with the WCF Brake caliper brackets and mounting hardware only. $349.00
http://www.westcoastfiero.com/brakes/brakes_13.html

wrong kit - those are vette parts - this is the one you'd want - http://www.westcoastfiero.com/brakes/brakes_11.html

and the wilwood metrics will fit - the 3's are the wrong size
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
The brackets are done and ready for pick-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be getting them this saturday morning (luckily they need to finish some stuff up at Van) and will try to start shipping them out. I will notify each person when theirs go out and the shipping costs. The people who haven't sent payments yet will get theirs sent when I receive it. I will wait one more week for the people who I PM'd yesterday about their continued interest and payment for the sets they said they "wanted" (haven't heard from three of you). If I do not receive your payment or get a response, I will sell them to the three people who asked after the initial order was sent in. I FEEL LIKE SANTA........were you all good boys and girls??????

Santa Bob
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!

Thanks for all the hard work!
Jason
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
OH Crap, I just saw a post that said my wheels would be pushed out a 1/4-5/16" of an inch doing this setup!! Is that right? is there anyway for that not to happen?? My diablo wheels are made with the right offset I CAN'T have them move out any more-PLEASE tell me there is a solution to this!!

RUNDLC
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

OH Crap, I just saw a post that said my wheels would be pushed out a 1/4-5/16" of an inch doing this setup!! Is that right? is there anyway for that not to happen?? My diablo wheels are made with the right offset I CAN'T have them move out any more-PLEASE tell me there is a solution to this!!

RUNDLC

The wheels will be pushed out the thickness of the rotor mounting face. There is no way to avoid this without machining the hub and rotor faces- NOT RECOMMENDED.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 10-27-2006).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

RUNDLC

it only does this on the fronts since those originally had the rotor as part of the hub - the rears will be the same as stock unless you add a spacer (which i did)

if you use the streetdreams front hubs then it won't move them out -
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock