Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Again, that's rear only. No need in the front.
IP: Logged
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
would it be best to order loaded calipers? what exactly do they come with that I'm going to need?

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Kohburn:

get 7/16 bolts the right length to bolt the adaptors on..

do you remember what length?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2006 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Loaded fronts come with pads & caliper slider bolts. The unloaded ones may come with slider bolts, depending on supplier.

Loaded rears come with pads, slider bolts & ebrake lever, springs & associated hardware.

Getting loaded rears is a necessity. Loaded fronts may be a luxury.
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will and Kohburn,
Thanks for all the great information. You finally helped me understand all the necessary equipment needed. I found loaded rear seville calipers on Autozone.com for $64.00 each. I also found out that Dodge Daytone/IROC/RT rear vented cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors will work instead of the regular solid rotors. You can get them already cad plated to stop corosion. these were on Summitracing.com. Thanks again guys for all the help!
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The LeBaron rotors ARE vented.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-27-2006).]

rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Will,
I really should have been specific. I was referring to the cross-drilling and slotting, not the venting. I do realize that the Lebaron units are vented. By the way, they are for a '93 Daytona/IROC/R/T.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick question that I didn't see answered in this thread.

What grade of bolt should the adapter bolts be?

Thanks
Nolan
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Grade 13.

What grade are you comfortable using on your brakes?
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Grade 13 I guess.

Thanks
Nolan
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
What I particularly like about this upgrade, is that it uses parts that are likely to be around for years to come, generally less expensive than Fiero equivalents, and still allows the use of factory or factory-size wheels

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I didnt think it would work with stock 14" wheels.

Actually, when I posted, I was thinking of the 15" Formula/GT wheels...but on the other hand, now that I think about it, the stock brakes should work better, comparatively speaking, with the 14" inch wheels, than with the 15" inchers, because of the smaller size of the wheel in proportion to the rotors, just like the 11" in. rotors provide an improvement in braking over the stock rotors with the 15" in. wheels. It's all a question of mechanical advantage, and the larger wheel/tire (in terms of circumference) setup you have on your car, the more work your brakes must do to stop the vehicle. Not only do the 11" inch rotors provide more leverage to stop your car, but the larger disk gives considerably more surface area to dissipate heat from, providing more resistance to fade.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Just a quick question that I didn't see answered in this thread.

What grade of bolt should the adapter bolts be?

Thanks
Nolan

GREAT question, glad you thought to ask it...
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
ARG, as far as I can tell there are no grade 13 fasteners the closest would be 12.9 so I am told. Where is everyone getting their hex head cap screws from? I can't seem to find a source.

Thanks
Nolan
sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
Any type of Grade 8 bolt will work, hex head, cap screw whatever you want. Most hardware stores carry some type of grade 8 fasteners.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
"Grade 13" was a joke.

Bolts in English sizes go up to grade 8. Bolts in metric sizes go up to class 12.9. I'd use grade 8 for English hardware and class 10.9 or better for Metric hardware. I believe GM uses 10.9 in brake applications.
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Ah, I guess it's a joke only if you understand the different grades.

Thanks everyone, even you Will
Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 07-07-2006).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2006 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I'm getting some quotes on having the brackets made... is anybody capable of making these or have an extra set laying around that you would sell me?

------------------

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2006 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Unless someone has access to the proper machinery, I think the best bet is for interested parties to get together and order these as a group.My understanding is that ordering a one-off would be nearly as expensive as ordering twenty sets, because of the setup time on the equipment. The material cost is next to zero.
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2006 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
I have the proper machines to make these brackets and have made them before, I used to sell them in the "Mall". I stopped making them because the demand dried up or people would say they wanted a set then couldn't cough up the money to buy them once I made them. If I started making them again there is no way I could charge what I used to charge, my costs to make them have gone up and that would have to be passed on to the buyer. The price of steel alone is a lot higher now than two years ago when I stopped making them.

------------------

Silver 87' GT- Turbo Charged/intercooled 2.8 V-6
Maroon 87' GT- 355 TPI V8, 5-speed
Maroon 88' Coupe- 3800sc, 4spd auto

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2006 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I guess theres no chance you still have a set sitting around do you? I dont even care if they've been used.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2006 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Actually, I'm at work right now and I was just talking to a client who runs a CNC company. I asked him if he could do me a favour and run off some brackets and he said he thinks he could do it.

Only problem is that he works with 3/16th inch steel thickness only.

Do you guys foresee a problem with doubling up 3/16th inch steel brackets so that when put together it is 3/8th inch?

Will this affect how it is tapped for the thread and all that?

------------------

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Actually, I'm at work right now and I was just talking to a client who runs a CNC company. I asked him if he could do me a favour and run off some brackets and he said he thinks he could do it.

Only problem is that he works with 3/16th inch steel thickness only.

Do you guys foresee a problem with doubling up 3/16th inch steel brackets so that when put together it is 3/8th inch?

Will this affect how it is tapped for the thread and all that?

As long as they were welded together and then tapped, it should not be a problem, although putting the the "sandwich" in a vise to compress the two layers during the tapping might make that easier.
Edit: Now that I think about it, if they were firmly compressed in a vise during the tapping, welding might not be necessary at all...

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 07-08-2006).]

Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2006 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Vonov

3745 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by sluppy123:

I have the proper machines to make these brackets and have made them before, I used to sell them in the "Mall". I stopped making them because the demand dried up or people would say they wanted a set then couldn't cough up the money to buy them once I made them. If I started making them again there is no way I could charge what I used to charge, my costs to make them have gone up and that would have to be passed on to the buyer. The price of steel alone is a lot higher now than two years ago when I stopped making them.

What would you estimate the cost of the brackets to be if you made another production run, Sluppy?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2006 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't want to tap a sandwhich like that unless it was welded.
sluppy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2006 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
The only way I would even consider using two 3/16" plates is if they were completly welded together, tapping them would be no problem.

Vonov- I will crunch some numbers and post a price.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Sluppy, glad to see you around again. We've had the swapped brakes on both cars for quite a long time now, both the 12" and these guys. Just wanted to say thanks again, may be interested in another set of these lebaron ones again if you make another run, keep us updated..
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
So I have the calipers....

for the rears, both calipers are supposed to have the lever arm and the other bracket that I'm assuming acts like a "guide" for the cable to run to the arm?

Only one of my calipers came with both the "guide" bracket and the lever arm.

The other one just came with the lever arm. Is this right or should I take it back?

I can take pictures if you need.

------------------

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2006 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
doublec4:

Could you post some pictures for the benefit of the rest of us?

Thanks
Nolan
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Here are some pics of what I'm talking about:

Here's the rear caliper with both the "guide" bracket as I call it, and the lever arm:

And this is the rear caliper with just the lever arm and a spot for the guide bracket but nothing there? I probably need that eh?

And here's a pic of one of my rotors:

------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:
And this is the rear caliper with just the lever arm and a spot for the guide bracket but nothing there? I probably need that eh?

Yeah, you need that. I'm not sure if you got gypped on the one that didn't have it, or if you got a sweet deal on the one that does. That's probably not a parts store item either. There's an outside chance that GM still carries them, but your best bet is probably a junkyard.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
damn it
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I went back to the place I bought the calipers, they had some others in stock and none of them had the bracket I need.

Where did the rest of you guys get your guide bracket things from?

I'm guessing the ones from the fiero caliper dont fit... AGH!

I need to finish this swap by next week. I am so screwed.

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2006 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
another question, I've looked back on some pages... to save me from trial and error and running around at the last minute...

those 7/16 bolts for the adapters... does anybody know the proper length?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
^bump^
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

doublec4

8289 posts
Member since Jun 2003
edit: nevermind

------------------

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 07-15-2006).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
All the pieces are slowly coming together...

I plan on having everything I need by wednesday so I can do the swap.

I will take pictures of everything and post them at a later date.

However... does anyone have any general or specific instructions on the process of installation? Which wheel should I start on (furthest from the master cylinder?), does it matter? etc.

Thanks!

P.S. does anybody know the length of those bolts I need for the adapters to the rear knuckle/spindle?

... oh and last question I promise! ... the spacers that were listed... where do they go? what do they space?

Hopefully I can get some info in the next few days! Thanks again guys!
------------------

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 07-15-2006).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2006 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
^bump^

If somebody could PLEASE answer any of my questions above I would really appreciate it!

Wednesday is coming up fast and its my last day to work on the brakes before I need my car on the road!

------------------

MartyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MartyKSend a Private Message to MartyKDirect Link to This Post
A bump to the top to see if anyone has a finished product..... MK
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I did it.

I started another thread but have been having a week from hell. Haven't had a chance to post anthing though. Sorry

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock