Recovering a GT steering Wheel by Mytime
Started on: 11-24-2010 09:37 PM
Replies: 60
Last post by: ManMadeChickens on 12-08-2010 07:04 AM
Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
The one thing I really like about this forum is the help I have received from the articles on how to do stuff. It's what makes these cars fun and affordable for me. My steering wheel in my daily driver has been looking pretty poorly lately. Well not really lately. It's been looking poorly for quite awhile. I tried to find articles on recovering one. If you send it away to be recovered it can be rather pricey. I was seeing prices in the $250.00 price range. Now since Fiero seems to be a synonym for thrifty, I decided to see how hard it was for someone with little experience, little time and little money to recover one. Also since I have a habit of not finishing projects, I'd wait until I finished to post anything. If not, it might be one of those dead-end threads ie smoooothegt body mods. With my typing skills being what they are, it may take me longer to post the write up than it did to do it. Anyway, here's what I did. This is what my current wheel looks like

Typical 20 year old steering wheel. Now I didn't want to go without my steering wheel for a couple of weeks so I remembered I had another old one in the shed.

It was a little on the rusty side, been in the shed for awhile.

First thing to do was to take it apart to see what it was made of. Had to drill out the rivets holding it together

Then I disassembled the center piece. Pretty rough looking

Next I had to skin it. Time to sharpen the leatherman.

Of course I found the dreaded steering wheel slime

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Next I had to de-slime the wheel. This stuff worked well. Use in a well ventilated area!

A good wipedown got it pretty clean

Next I took a wirewheel to the metal center to remove the rust. Unfortunately the rust had removed a little metal from the wheel. Not a lot, but enough to see it wasn't going to look as smooth as it should. Off to the spray can box to see what I had. Ahah!! This will work.

Not to bad. beats sanding and polishing.

Next I wanted to smooth out the leather I had removed to make a pattern for the new cover.

I flattened it out and tried to press it as flat as possible to get a usable pattern. The slime helped it stick to the masking paper I was using. Plus I ironed it.

Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post

Mytime

734 posts
Member since May 2003
OOps, double post

[This message has been edited by Mytime (edited 11-24-2010).]

Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post

Mytime

734 posts
Member since May 2003
Next I wanted to pick a durable padding. I found a thin, dense felt material that I had used before. It's about 1/8" thick. Don't know how it will work out, guess I'll find out.

Then I had to find a way to stick it to the wheel. This stuff almost worked. I'll get into that laterThe kids used it on some project of theirs.

I cut and test fit a few strips. 31/8" seemed to fit pretty well. The felt can be stretched a little to fit but it took a lot of test fitting to get it glued on covering the whole thing with no wrinkles.

Sure, it looks good now. The glue stuck real well for about 2 days. Then it started to let go. If I ever do it again, I'll find something better. Weldwood I think

[This message has been edited by Mytime (edited 11-24-2010).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
More?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
This was my fix. $20.00 on ebay

Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
$20.00 is good but I told you, I,m thrifty. This recover was done with stuff I had laying around the house. The only thing I bought was the thread I used. $2.00 at Joann fabrics. Everything else was leftover from some other project. Sometimes it pays to be a packrat. After covering with the padding, I got out my covering material. A few years ago, at scout camp, my son made a leather poncho in some kind of crafting class. He said years ago to throw it away, I said I,ll find a use for that some day. Well today is someday!! The color is not an exact match but it's just going to be in my daily driver. Close enough for me.

Plenty for what I needed. I cut two strips the size I thought I would need.

Then I glued and folded over the one edge of the larger piece. This would be the edge near the center of the wheel. About a 1/4" or so.

Then I sewed the two pieces together. Should have used a darker thread but I was being lazy.

This is what it looks like draped over the wheel

Then, starting at a random corner, I started sewing.

I didn't glue the leather to the felt at this point. I'm hoping it's stretched tight enough to keep it from twisting. My first stitches were a little close. It's been awhile since I baseball stitched anything. 20 years or so. Took a while to get the rhythm and spacing where I liked it. Fortunately, most of it's behind the wheel.

Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post

Mytime

734 posts
Member since May 2003
I skipped over the posts and did the round sections first. I'll stretch around the posts later. Notice that the glue I used is starting to separate from the material.

I would start at the corners, pull tight and stitch.

I did not pre-punch any of the holes because I wasn't really sure the size and stretch was going to be OK. I just felt along as I went. Sorry the pictures are a little blurry. Need a new camera.

When I went back to do the posts, I cut and stretched till I thought it would look right. Then I stitched it together.

I know on the Fiero wheel where the post meets the wheel that it just overlaps but I decided to stitch it.

You can see here that the glue had really just given up. I was able to pull everything back together with the stitching. The hardest part was figuring out how to hold the wheel while stitching. Don't think I ever found a good way.

The home stretch (pun intended)

Well, I finished it. For me, unbelievable! I'm happy with the results. Now to reassemble, soon.

I hope this helps anyone that's thinking to do the job themselves. This was just my experience, all others are welcome to post suggestions and helps to make the job easier.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
WOW! Incredible! I thought I was gonna have to dish out $150 for a new one, but this looks GREAT! This will be one of the first aesthetic things I do to my Fiero. Thanks for the write up!
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Good job on that steering wheel it looks factory too!
Korey
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
WOW! I'd love to try this on my old 84-85 NP5 wheel, if only my sewing skills weren't near zero (should have seen the sunvisors I tried to do a few years ago)
PFF
System Bot
elitopr

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprDirect Link to This Post
creative!!!!! nice job;;;;;;
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! At first, I didn't think you were going to be able to pull it off... It looks fantastic for a home job; heck, looks good for any job...
Only thing I may have dun different was to use better glue and to glue the leather; this way it will not twist...
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
great job. You should put your service in the mall. I am sure you will make a good buck helping out the fiero comunity.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Here's an option I did on my 86T, I simply stripped it and dyied it black, also filled groves with thick solder.

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks REALLY good! Great job! Gives me thoughts on how to do mine when I am ready. Thanks for the detailed write up!
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments. I'm not really looking to drum up business for myself. I just tried searching for a how-to article and wasn't able to find much. So I thought I'd write my trial and experience to help out any other members that want to do it themselves.
I probably should have glued the leather to the felt. I just thought I wouldn't get an even pull when I stretched the leather to the corners. Maybe try that when another needs a new cover.
FirstDrCar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
very good craftsmanship
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
I'm gonna go take my steering wheel out now, I'll let you guys know if an AWFUL tailor can do this. Wish me luck!
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Dallas Steering Wheels will do it for $250.00

Bry73

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bry73Send a Private Message to Bry73Direct Link to This Post
You get a plus from me, Great looking job too. I might have a use now for my wifes old leather mini skirt.
PFF
System Bot
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmmm, the shift knob. Forgot about that.
crazyinkc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyinkcSend a Private Message to crazyinkcDirect Link to This Post
wow. great job. I'm sure people would pay you to do things like that for them just an idea.

------------------
C'mon you know my 4cylinder is Pimp. Just admit it. You'd own it.

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mytime:

Well, I finished it. For me, unbelievable! I'm happy with the results. Now to reassemble, soon.

Unbelievable in my book too!

$2 for yours or
$250 for this

That's a no brainer! Great work and write-up, plus for you!
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2010 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

The last time I was in here, I was looking at this picture thinking to myself, "Ok man, you're two steps away from breaking out the thread and hand stitching some leather strips.."

I'm glad I came back in here. The only difference between the Dallas wheel (there's one in the Fiero outside) is that you used a smaller thread and a different stitch pattern. The last time I was at the local library returning a book, I looked up a leathercrafts book that had the Dallas stitch pattern in it. There's also a video on Youtube of seamstresses at Ferrari who can be closely observed stitching the optional Ferrari patterns on seats. Anyway, I've got a spare wheel in the attic I'm going to give a go at.

Your thrift is highly respected sir.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 11-26-2010).]

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Soooo I used 1/2 inch high density foam. Hopefully it will compress a lot. I sewed it on. Hopefully that will alleviate the problem of the foam not sticking.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

... It's been awhile since I baseball stitched anything. 20 years or so. ..

That looks fantastic! But I bet that little experience helped a lot there.
go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterDirect Link to This Post
At phonedawgz can you give more information on Dallas steering wheel.

[This message has been edited by go faster (edited 11-27-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by go faster:

Google http://www.google.ca/search...g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by go faster:

Sad part is that you can get a new reproduction from Fiero Store for $110.00
http://fierostore.com/Produ...px?s=75003&d=330&p=1
go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fierosound.
PFF
System Bot
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

And have you seen the differences between the two?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

And have you seen the differences between the two?

Yeah, they are probably like everything else they sell, cheap crap.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I have seen the FS one and is not bad for the price but I don't think it is up to par with the Dallas one (or the one above).
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Wow thought i better get my name in this thread so i can find it again and again wow.... That is such a nice job.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2010 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:
I have seen the FS one and is not bad for the price but I don't think it is up to par with the Dallas one (or the one above).

I have too, and I was actually impressed. It's a good wheel for the money.

But the difference between the Fiero Store wheel and a Dallas recover is like comparing Seiko to Rolex (watches). Even still I think the intrinsic value of covering the damn thing yourself, as Mytime has done, surpasses both options. How often do you get to tell people you hand stitched the steering wheel in your car?
fcsmls

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fcsmlsSend a Private Message to fcsmlsDirect Link to This Post
Great write up!

The dreaded goo of death dripped out of my GT wheel one hot day this summer, and I have been trolling the web looking for ideas on DIY recover. Have not seen felt used as padding, but it appeals to me to me more than foam which might eventually go the way of the original.

Anyone have suggestions on what glue might work best for attaching felt to wheel?

I agree with other posters -- it's not so much the price as it is the satisfaction of being able to say that you did it yourself.

Have bookmarked this writeup for reference this winter when I tackle this job - many thanks.
marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanDirect Link to This Post
Awesome write up. Been looking for this exact write up. Thanks
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again everyone. I'm happy to see that my writeup has been appreciated. I did it as much for myself as for everyone else. I tend to forget over time how I did things if I don't write down the details.
Well, if I were going to do it again, I would probably use weldwood contact cement. The same thing that I used on my headliner. Heard it sticks well and lasts a long time. Just didn't have any available when I was putting it together. The felt seems durable and I like the feel of the padding. I don't know how it will last long term. Have to wait and see. I do know it's not going to turn into goo anytime in the near future. I pulled the leather tight enough so I hope it doesn't twist on me
Finally got the wheel reassembled and traded into my car. Wow, a project I actually finished, I DO need to write this down. The color is a little off from factory but I'm not building a show car, just trying to keep things nice looking.

Thanks again for the compliments.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Doing the shifter?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock