Recovering a GT steering Wheel by Mytime
Started on: 11-24-2010 09:37 PM
Replies: 60
Last post by: ManMadeChickens on 12-08-2010 07:04 AM
Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Not yet, but I'm going to. Busy right now. Always something else to do......
IP: Logged
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work. I have the FS steering wheel on my GT and I'm pleased with it for the money. But I did save my old steering wheel and will try recovering it myself someday. And I bought a nice woman's leather dress at a consignment store also very cheap. (and before any of you say it - yes, it is for the steering wheel) There is a lot a satisfaction that comes from the DIY factor. (like making your own wine or roasting your own coffee beans)

Larry

------------------

"Life is short.
Drink the good wine first"

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryh86GT:
(like making your own wine or roasting your own coffee beans)

Or hard liquor or beer.....
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
Wow.. I am seriously impressed!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mytime:

Thanks again everyone. I'm happy to see that my writeup has been appreciated. I did it as much for myself as for everyone else. I tend to forget over time how I did things if I don't write down the details.
Well, if I were going to do it again, I would probably use weldwood contact cement. The same thing that I used on my headliner. Heard it sticks well and lasts a long time. Just didn't have any available when I was putting it together. The felt seems durable and I like the feel of the padding. I don't know how it will last long term. Have to wait and see. I do know it's not going to turn into goo anytime in the near future. I pulled the leather tight enough so I hope it doesn't twist on me
Finally got the wheel reassembled and traded into my car. Wow, a project I actually finished, I DO need to write this down. The color is a little off from factory but I'm not building a show car, just trying to keep things nice looking.

Thanks again for the compliments.

Damn dude, I am absolutely speechless...

...and you even did it on a vintage Singer sewing machine.

If I can just make an assumption here, how much would you charge if I begged you to do the same for my Fiero's steering wheel?

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I am impressed - enough so that I am going to take the steering wheel that has been sitting in my shed for the past two years and give this a shot.

Thanks
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Nope 82-T/A, I'm just not going to get into the recovering business. I did one not really knowing how it's done professionally. So I'm unsure how the materials I used will hold up in the long run. Also color matching is always an issue, I know I don't have the eye for it. I could never do something like that and sell it and expect to stand behind work that I am just not sure of. Do you know what I mean?
This was just a basic, "if I was going to do this, this is how I'd do it" thread. I thought it would help a few do-it yourself types out there the same way I've been helped with articles in here. I was hoping a couple more people that have done it or know how it is done would chime in with suggestions on how it's supposed to be done.
CSlater21

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CSlater21Send a Private Message to CSlater21Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

This was my fix. $20.00 on ebay

Interested in this wheel and setup...

Can you tell me all parts including adapters I would need for this?

Also what seller you got it from on E-Bay?

Thanks,
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
/\ Search "steering wheel" in eBay. It was my first result
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post
I posted just to give you a public '+'

Nice work. I salute anybody who goes the distance with an idea, and it comes out this nice.
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I pulled my old GT steering wheel out of the shed and got it stripped down, ironed teh old cover flat, and traced it out on craft paper.

That is some really nasty stuff! Anyway, thanks again for the inspiration.
PFF
System Bot
CSlater21

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSlater21Send a Private Message to CSlater21Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

/\ Search "steering wheel" in eBay. It was my first result

Found the wheel, but is it a straight bolt on, or is an adapter needed?
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
Well. I finally found time today to do the shifter handle. It did not turn out as well as the steering wheel. Made a couple of mistakes rushing through it.
To start with, not knowing how much time it would take, I used another one from a car that's just sitting around. This is the old one in my car.

This is the old one from another car.

I took the old skin off.

And laid the two sides down to decide what to do next.

I didn't think that flattening them to make a pattern would be helpful. I considered wetting them, stretching them over the handle and letting them dry to make shells to sew together, but I wanted to get it done today. I should have done that. But I decided to just glue the two pieces onto the handle and sew them in place.
I still had some of the leather left from the steering wheel.

Bought some real glue (this job is already costing me more than the steering wheel).

I scuffed up the plastic a little to help the glue stick and glued up half of it and a small piece of leather.

After they dried, I stretched the leather onto the plastic.

Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post

Mytime

734 posts
Member since May 2003
Next, I drew a cutting line about midway around the handle and cut off the excess.

Then I glued up the other half of the handle and the other piece of leather and glued that piece on

Then I cut it off and here's where I felt I made a mistake. The cut was not as uniform as I would have liked. There were gaps in places and some places that were butted tight. I just figured that when it was sewn, I could pull it together.

Then I started to sew it up.

As I started, I noticed that part of the material was not pulling together the way I had hoped. The glue was holding it too tight to the plastic. I should have used the other glue!! The stuff that didn't hold well.
This is probably the worst looking part.

But, instead of pulling it apart, I just went ahead doing the best I could.

It didn't turn out badly, just not as good as I would have liked.

If my cuts would have been a little cleaner and the leather butted up better, it would have made a nicer job. But that's how it goes sometimes.

[This message has been edited by Mytime (edited 12-05-2010).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2010 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
I've already learned a lot from your attempt, thank you for posting pictures, even though you weren't as happy with it as you would have liked.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mytime:

Don't you see that shifter boot looking at you??
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Don't you see that shifter boot looking at you??

Beat me to it!
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2010 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
For about five seconds, I was trying to find the semblance to a face - like the man on the moon.
If you did a small walk through of doing the shifter boot, I would do backflips.
Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post
OK, didn't really realize it until I looked at the picture but that shift boot IS pretty ugly. I'll give a shift boot a shot
Not the one from my car but still ugly.

Now this is what it looks like under the boot.

The bottom of this boot has the plastic retainer still attached. I know some have the elastic to hold it down to the clips. Mine in my car now has an elastic one. They used white thread though, I didn't like the looks of that.

After 20 years the plastic tends to get fragile and the retaining clip areas have broken off.

Here is an inside out shift boot

I wasn't going to reuse the broken retaining clip so I experimented with other attachment choices

I decided to try and use the little elastic bungee even though I've heard they might bend the little plastic clips.
Next I dismantled the boot into four pieces.

Then I ironed them flat between two pieces of brown paper. Gotta keep the iron clean! Since they appeared to be duplicates I only ironed two of them flat to use as patterns.

Then I traced out two of each on the leather I had. I made a pattern sheet that I will post later to help save some work for anyone that wants to try this one. Or if your boot is so badly gone that a good pattern could not be made

Then I cut them out.

I used a little glue on the edges to paste the pieces together so that I could sew them together. Sometimes sewing while just holding, one piece will slide making the ends not match up. Then I stuck the pieces together.

Mytime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeDirect Link to This Post

Mytime

734 posts
Member since May 2003
Now someone had made a comment earlier about my "classic" Singer sewing machine. You guys don't know the half of it. Over the years I've collected a few sewing machines, not really sure why. Just like Fieros they tend to multiply. I just know they have a certain value to them and I just couldn't see someone just throwing them away. Now you have to realize that I haven't spent one dime to buy a single sewing machine in my life. People have given them away. All are industrial models. Most are old but they all work.
First is a Singer long arm machine.

Next are two old Singers

A brother zig zag. I also keep a brother straight stitch at work. They are the newest.

A blind stitch machine. That one's cool!

I also have an industrial serger I got just because the motor still worked. Good for parts. Anyone has a walking foot machine they want to get rid of, let me know!
I used the Singer 31-15 for this job

Then a bit of glue to fold the bottom edge up and the top edge down.

A stitch at the bottom and it's done.

It looks OK but I'm just not happy with the look of the Fiero boot. I have more material, I may experiment with the design a bit. Have to see what kind of time I have. I tried some stuff with a manual boot a couple of years ago but put it away unfinished. Get back to it some day if I live long enough.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2010 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensDirect Link to This Post
Wow, very good work on all parts! I have two spare GT wheels sitting around. I think it's definitely time to try this on at least one of them! Sadly, the leather on my 86 SE four-spoke is just about shot. Not goopy like the GT ones get, the leather is cracked, and rough now. I might redo a GT wheel to keep in it for the time being, and tackle the four spoke.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock