Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Tyler Shipman Memorial Car Show: Camping at the Shipmans! Sign-Up NOW! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Tyler Shipman Memorial Car Show: Camping at the Shipmans! Sign-Up NOW! by JohnWPB
Started on: 06-12-2010 09:20 PM
Replies: 153
Last post by: cornersonrails on 07-19-2010 09:45 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Ok, some people wanted shirts made, so here is what they are going to look like! Have a look at page three of this thread for more information on ordering.
The order cutoff is Sinday, July 18,th at Midnight Eastern Time. We are on a time crunch to get them made, so if you want one, speak up NOW.

Ok, Daneele & Jay Shipman have generously offered the use their property to set up tent's for those attending the during the weekend of the car show. We seemed a bit reluctant at first, not wanting to inconvenience them in any way. She reiterated they it was no problem, and that they had already ordered Porta-Potties ahead of time LOL.

So, that being said, DIY_Stu came up with the idea for camping out, and it seems like a fantastic idea! I have planned to attend the get together for the past year, and am now excited that it is also turning into what will be a great camping trip as well!

The weather is supposed to be in the upper 50's to low 60's at night, and an average of 70 during the day... PERFECT camping weather!

There's nothing like hanging around a camp fire at night relaxing and talking / story telling with a group of people. Far better than being is some stuffy hotel room

Nellie Shipman said they do have one shower, but also, and I quote " I can always turn the garden hose on anyone too stinky." LOL She also mentioned that they have WiFi available. They have rented 2 porta-potties that will be setup for the weekend as well. There are outdoor electrical outlets to run an extension cord from. I think we need to keep the stuff plugged in to a minimum, such as just laptop and cell phone chargers ect. We do not want to go blowing their breakers!

If you have a tent, feel free to bring it. For those who do not, me included, we will be purchasing a couple of the tents to start with, and more as needed.

This is the tent we are looking at that has EXCELLENT reviews.

- Hanging divider curtains allow you to create 1, 2 or 3 private rooms (Each individually removable)
- Large canopy over front door for sunny conditions
- Camping tent has multiple large screened windows to allow for superior air flow and comfort
- Large zippered double doors for easy entry
- Enhanced weather coatings to keep everyone dry and comfortable
- Middle room can be used as a 3rd bedroom or a gathering area
- Dimensions: 20 feet long, 11 feet deep and 7 ft. ceiling
- Sleeps 10 people

My thought is 10 would be way too cramped, so probably 4-5 people in it would be perfect. The tent cost $109 + tax. If we have 5 to a tent, that works out to just $25 per person for the entire weekend, or even a couple days longer depending on when you go back. For a hotel in the area, for a 3 night stay, you are looking at around $300 and up!

So if anyone is interested in camping out, please post in this thread, and I will keep a running tally of the number of people. The tent's are avail at WalMart, and my intent is to get the money from everyone, and purchase them online, for in-store pickup there in Frazee.

Whatever tent's are purchased, and no one takes with them, will be donated to the Boys & Girls club (Who I am told is in need of tents) there in Frazee.

So, how can you go wrong! Camping out, hanging out around the camp fire at night, paying only $25 for the entire stay, and giving to the Boys & Girls club!

I will be collecting the $25 per person through my PayPal account: johnwpb at gmail.com. (PLEASE send it as a "gift" so there are no PayPal fee's) If there are any extra charges or it costs a little more, I will cover it personally. If it is less than expected, I will give everyone the difference back. When someone pays, I will mark it as paid in the list here in the thread. This way everyone can see that the money is going to the tents 100%. If 20 people send money, that means I have 4 tents drop shipped to the Frazee Wal!Mart.

If any families or anyone else wants a whole tent to themselves, you can purchase it online at WalMart.com, and sent to the Frazee WalMart for pickup. The WalMart is about 10 minutes from the Shipman's.

There will be PLENTY of space! If you can not help in the cost of the tents, NO PROBLEM, no one will be turned away!

Oh, and yes, I will be bringing marshmallow's, Chocolate and Graham Crackers

-------Copy and paste this list into your post, and add your name if you are interested --------------

1) DIY_Stu
2) AutoMark
3) JohnWPB
4) R Runner
5) fieroguy123
6) carbon
7) PURPLE REIGN
8) Synthesis
9) MadDanceSkillz & Girlfriend
10) ProudGT
11) 1984whitesc & Girlfriend Jennifer
12) cornersonrails
13) RAREW66 & Annette

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 07-16-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
i guess they're scared.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I'll be there but I have been working to make the back of my truck a little "camper" for a few months now. My plan is to stay at the Shipman's place.
nellieship

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nellieshipClick Here to visit nellieship's HomePageSend a Private Message to nellieshipDirect Link to This Post
Ok now I am really excited! First of all, we LOVE to camp. We have bonfires ALL the time. AND we are just plain excited to have everyone come over. This is not stressing me out at all... and believe me it would be ME stressing out if anyone. I think it will be a blast! I had a couple people ask "what can I bring?" We have meat, buns, beans, and cookies lined up. I am going to get some pop and water, but that stuff goes pretty quickly, so more of that would be a suggestion. I will also work on getting some chips, but that is another thing that is easy to grab and bring with. By no means feel like you have to bring anything but your lovely selves. Bring your own adult beverage if you like. There is a liquor store in Frazee and also a new one we like by Four Corners (about 10 miles away).

Bring lawn chairs or bag chairs if you have them.

"the Wal-Mart" as we call it.. emphasis on "the" is in Detroit Lakes, which is actually about 25 minutes from our house. Detroit Lakes is our main town and we go there all the time. If you need me to pick up the tents I could do this on Wednesday or Thursday - not Friday, please just let me know. I pretty much live at Wal-Mart. Frazee has a gas station and a small but terrific grocery store.

Directions to our house:
*From Frazee, take Highway 87 out of town past the high school. Go approximately 12 miles.
*Take a LEFT on County Road 39. St. Paul's Lutheran Church on the corner at this turn. This is also the cemetary where Tyler was laid to rest if anyone wants to stop here as well.
*Go approximately 3 miles. Take a LEFT on County Road 122. Go 1/2 mile. First house on the LEFT. Small tan house. Fire number 41906. 41906 County Road 122, Frazee MN 56544

Contact info: home: 218-334-5268. Jay: 218-234-5966 Daneele (aka Nellie): 218-234-7520

Any time you want to show up is fine. Jay will be gone cooking pretty early. I have to run to Henning to pick up kiddos from Camp at noonish. My mom will be here helping, so she should be here.

When you get here, we don't care where you want to set up your tents. there is a lot of mowed area, so just pick a spot. Bonfire pit is in the backyard. I think I will have the portapoties behind the garage. I also have an old fridge I am going to attempt to clean out for sharing. Can't promise on that one as someone... and I won't name names... left some leaches in it and let's just say I am not a miracle worker.

------------------
Daneele - aka Tyler's mom

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
WOW! Now I'm excited too! This is very cool of you guys and I know many will appriciate it. This will be a fun trip for sure. I am seriously looking forward too it. I will bring some of the items you mentioned. High on my list is Soda (Coke, Pespi, or Mt. Dew) and I'll bring some additional dish / finger food of some sort. We'll be telling car stories well in to the night around the camp fire.

Do we have to sing too?!?! (I'm a very poor singer ... But I play the drums.. )

I can't wait!

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I was a bit scared at first, I started this thread, and was thinking there would be a lot of response..... and 24 hours later NO replies! Then I thought maybe people were just out and about for the weekend, and gonna check in to missed posts at work on Monday morning! LOL

I was originally looking for hotels in the area, and was thinking, ok, have a nice day at the show, parade, and all the festivities, and then head back to some hotel room and sit staring at the walls..... The camping idea just seemed to be the perfect solution!

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nellieship:

Bring your own adult beverage if you like.

Whew she said it. Now I don't have to ask..

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I was originally looking for hotels in the area, and was thinking, ok, have a nice day at the show, parade, and all the festivities, and then head back to some hotel room and sit staring at the walls..... The camping idea just seemed to be the perfect solution!

Not to mention a lot easier on the pocket.
HAHAHAHA Just had a thought. Hey you guys who like an "adult Beverage" with your BBQ!!!! Hope you're camping! HEHEHE

Stu

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Ok, I was a bit scared at first, I started this thread, and was thinking there would be a lot of response..... and 24 hours later NO replies!

Personally, I think it is a great idea. There is still plenty of time before the show weekend.
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Since I'm the one who originally asked if I could camp at their place, I'll definitely be pitching a tent. Count me in!
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
ok here is what i'll be bringing:
1: 11x20 tent shown above.
2: two 7x9 tents for who ever needs them
3: ice chest with drinks of all natures. Ice chest size will be what ever fits the carry all that i'm building for my car.
4: under tent tarps and chairs.
5: i could also bring an old 10x10 easy up shade. Will most likely leave it in frazee since any wind will likely finish it off due to current frame damage.

Everything i bring is subject to trunk and carrier space on a fiero. I am a TEXAN so yes i can get creative with strapping items all over the car.

Stu

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... large tents...

I almost want to do this too, we have a nylon mansion as well... may have to get it out and do a test run in the yard with the kids...
PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Not camping related, but I will have my rolling tool shop with me (the front 1/4 of my 20' box trailer). Pretty much any tool you could think of for general repair. Always nice to have around with 20+ year old cars.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

Not camping related, but I will have my rolling tool shop with me (the front 1/4 of my 20' box trailer). Pretty much any tool you could think of for general repair. Always nice to have around with 20+ year old cars.

Hmmmm if I tow my car up there, does this mean I could then drive it home LOL
nellieship

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nellieshipClick Here to visit nellieship's HomePageSend a Private Message to nellieshipDirect Link to This Post
I drive a Subaru... all the tools in the world can't help me but hey you never know!
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Hitch for the Carry-All is done. Whew that's a bit of work.

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

Now THAT'S and interesting idea.... Hidden trailer hitch. I like!
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Will it fit?

11x20x7 tent
12 x 24 Tarp
Sleeping Bag
Air Matress
Battery Fan

Will it fit?

SURE IT WILL! And still have room for another small tent and my bag.
Took Longer to get the tent out than to get it in ONE TIGHT FIT!!!

I guess the Carry_All will just be for the Ice Chest and some Chairs.

Stu

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 06-16-2010).]

Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post

This sounds cool can I see the carry-all on the car?
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Haven't finished building it
Looking to have under $20 in materials for it. All I have left to get is the 1¼" square tube.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
$20 in materials?! I want 2 of them!
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Where to find cheapest Tickets from Sacremento to Minneapolis for Antuzzi. I'm helping him plan his trip.

Anyone know of a truck driver friend?

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 06-17-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2010 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I regret to inform everyone that due to a SEVERE financial downturn in my life, It looks like I will not be attending the show this summer. It was the one thing I was looking forward to doing this year and yet, I'm probably not going to be able to make it. I'll let everyone know if anything changes, but at this point I'm struggling just to keep my 4 year old twins fed. I'm absolutely heart broken about this and I'm working my a$% off to try and get things straight again, but all I can do right now is wish you guys a hell of a good time. Take lots of pictures!!!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Wow, fieroguy, I am really sorry to hear that I hope things improve for you, hang in there. I am sure we will all take lots of pictures and share them on Tyler's site for those that could not attend.

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
If Antuzzi or PK86 go, you might need a special port-o-pot for just them. I say no more
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

If Antuzzi or PK86 go, you might need a special port-o-pot for just them. I say no more

I think I found a solution:

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 06-18-2010).]

Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
That is just TOO funny. Thanks I needed that!
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

I think I found a solution:

Did you google street view my address or something??? Postin pics of my house and stuff. CReepy
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
ROFLAMAO !!!!!! ^^^

Providing weather cooperates, count me in for camping........ not sure if the fam is coming or not, but it will really help on expenses.

------------------

MINNESOTA MAFIA Real men get blown If you're going to run your mouth make sure the proof isn't all over the net that you're full of sh!t.
87 GT MP-112 powered, 3800 Supercharged on 19's 372 rwhp & tuning____88 GT T-top 1 of very few, 000,194.4 miles
87 GT custom______90 Grand prix STE Turbo_____2007GSXR 1000
Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD, Ya want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences.
IF YOU AIN'T BREAKING STUFF..................IT AIN'T MODDED ENOUGH
If your'e not living on the edge..........you're taking up too much room.
Best Fiero mounts available

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
If all goes well, weather should not be a problem at all. Highs in the 70's and lows in the upper 50's to low 60's and not much rain this time of year according to the almanac.

If it does rain, that should not be a problem really either, as the tents are gonna be LARGE, and all will be water proof sprayed.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

If all goes well, weather should not be a problem at all. Highs in the 70's and lows in the upper 50's to low 60's and not much rain this time of year according to the almanac.

If it does rain, that should not be a problem really either, as the tents are gonna be LARGE, and all will be water proof sprayed.

Um....not tryin to bag on ya......but coming from a guy in WPB, this IS Minnesota ANYTHING happens up here.
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Did you google street view my address or something??? Postin pics of my house and stuff. CReepy

I thought this was your house?

PFF
System Bot
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
BOH look closer that's their Outhouse. Side by Side. :P
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

Um....not tryin to bag on ya......but coming from a guy in WPB, this IS Minnesota ANYTHING happens up here.

Hey, it is NO different here in Florida... as we say, if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes

I have LITERALLY had it rain in the back yard once, and not in the front yard! I was in the back yard, it started to rain, so I headed around front and it stopped... it was then I turned around and saw it was still raining, just not where I was standing! LOL

Giving the "overall averages" though, it is not too common for lots of rain at the end of July there.... but of course, these are averages, and nothing more
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

BOH look closer that's their Outhouse. Side by Side. :P

ROFL PK86 and Antuzzi can crap side by side!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
I am ordering one of the tents today, and gonna have it drop shipped for In Store Pickup there in Frazee... DiyStu already ordered one, this gives us enough room to easily sleep 8 so far....

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I also will take two 9x7 tents so that'll make 12
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good.... I just purchased my ticket, and will be flying into Mn St. Paul on Thursday night. DIY_Stu is picking me up on his way through and we will get to Frazee on Friday morning. That will give us time to set up the tents and such.

I am SOoooo looking forward to this!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 06-20-2010).]

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Carrier is all done now. Lots of room to carry more than what i've planned on bringing.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Carrier is all done now. Lots of room to carry more than what i've planned on bringing.

You know I hear those things flip over at high speeds... You could almost just sleep on that thing.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 06-29-2010).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Isn't that one of those cars that catches fire every time you drive it?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock