Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The Short Bus is getting a makeover...fastback style (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Short Bus is getting a makeover...fastback style by Carver1
Started on: 03-21-2010 10:22 PM
Replies: 130
Last post by: Carver1 on 06-28-2010 12:22 AM
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I finally got moved into my new house. It has a 2 1/2 car garage, so now I can play!

I am now on a main road in my town, instead of out in the sticks. I have had 3 people stop by asking about the Bus. I forgot how much attention it gets in public.
Yesterday I decided to pull it in out of the snow and tinker.

After sorting my parts out, I decided to swap the rear out.

I kept craving Big Macs during the whole swap.........can't figure out why.

More to come.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I am also adding a chin spoiler, converting to a hard top, and cutting up the hood a little.
It will be getting a fresh coat of paint in the summer. I haven't decided on what color yet.
Maybe white? Keep it yeller? It will stay a wingless, and maybe some new wheels/tires.
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
McDonald's Fiero!
Just playing, it looks great.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Car looks great !

I might invest in some coilovers or lowering springs to really max out it's potential.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
And another Fiero moves to the dark side (fastbacks)
Looks good, yellow and red don't really mix though.
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Wow....it's come a long way since I've seen it.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Wow....it's come a long way since I've seen it.

I still need to head down to that part of the world again to meet all the El Paso locals. Hopefully this summer I'll free up a weekend. My old 4.9 should be roaring to life any day, now that Pat has his mits on it. I'll have to settle for this little 3.4 for now.

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 03-28-2010).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Phil..... Glad to see that you are back in the game. Looks like I snagged the 4.9 just in time - it may have ended up in the Bus.

Pat

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2010 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Do you even know how to work on a car in a garage? What is cement?

Just messing with ya. I remember, when I first became a member, pics of you working on your Fiero in the dirt next to that shed. Very happy to see you have a garage. Every man should recieve one at birth.

Tony

Snow? Heck, I got sunburned Saturday up here in the Inland Northwest! Neener, neener, neener.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 03-22-2010).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Do you even know how to work on a car in a garage? What is cement?

Just messing with ya. I remember, when I first became a member, pics of you working on your Fiero in the dirt next to that shed. Very happy to see you have a garage. Every man should recieve one at birth.

Tony

Snow? Heck, I got sunburned Saturday up here in the Inland Northwest! Neener, neener, neener.

I took my motorcycle to work today - in my tshirt - Neener, neener, neener............. You remember those pics of him working in the dirt? I know of a couple engine swaps he did in the dirt. That's some hardcoe Fiero addiction for ya! Wait until you see what he does now that he has a garage.
86gtzone

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86gtzoneSend a Private Message to 86gtzoneDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Phil do you still need a windshield? I still have one.
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86gtzone:

Hey, Phil do you still need a windshield? I still have one.

Yes sir. I'll PM you./
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

You remember those pics of him working in the dirt? I know of a couple engine swaps he did in the dirt. That's some hardcoe Fiero addiction for ya! Wait until you see what he does now that he has a garage.

The whole time I was out in the garage, I just kept remembering how I used to do it. The biggest thing I hated was the WIND! Laying something down, and it still being there when you get back saves me tons of time. I never knew how comfortable concrete was. It's amazing.

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Haha your giving in . Nice job carver Looks like its comming through the conversion just fine. keep up the good work dude.
sastian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sastianClick Here to visit sastian's HomePageSend a Private Message to sastianDirect Link to This Post
only question i have while looking at these pics is .."is it still for sale ?" LOL

------------------

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sastian:

only question i have while looking at these pics is .."is it still for sale ?" LOL

"Everything is for sale" is my motto.
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
That looks like a very nice garage to work in. I dig the diamond shaped windows you have on the garage wall. I would be interested to see what they look like on the outside of the house, any photos?

Btw are you going to repaint the rear clip yellow, or are you going to keep the ketchup and mustard look?

[This message has been edited by DeLorean00 (edited 03-23-2010).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Hey, someone's covered your car in mustard and ketchup!

Nice work but I still prefer notchies though

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Well, alot has happened today!
DeLorean00, I'll see if I can get some pics of the outside of the house for you. And yes, I am repainting the whole car.

Sitting at work, I was surfing PFF, and decided I want to try something new. I'll get to that in a few minutes....

I started my hood mod. First time attempting to fiberglass. I'm not expecting much, just playing around.

Got tired of messing with that, and I haven't even started sanding yet.

This is another project I will play around with

I started taking all the pieces off to paint the frame black and get rid of the overspray from the last paint job.

This is where it got depressing......

Only one this left to do..

CHOP TOP!
I'm going to patch the cancer on the roof, and chop this sucker 3 inches. Just gotta find some windows and some advil.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Nothing like a fresh start.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Thinking of selling the 3.4 and going for a small block chevy also.
Depends on how the chop turns out.

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 03-28-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Man..... Give the guy a garage and he goes nuts....... I like the hood!

Dibs on your stock door glass.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Dibs on your stock door glass.

I thought you might say that.

Might have to name this one FrankenFiero after I am done.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Almost ready to cut!
I got the back window out and finished stripping everything off the car. I was surprised to not break it.

Yes. It is still FOR SALE.

And here is a pic of the outside of the garage showing the windows.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Looks like I need to change the title to mention the chop top. Or do I have to start a new thread?
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2010 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

Thinking of selling the 3.4 and going for a small block chevy also.
Depends on how the chop turns out.

Send me a PM and tell me about your 3.4.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2010 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
PM sent
aeffertz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post

Looks like I need to change the title to mention the chop top. Or do I have to start a new thread?

You'll either have to start a whole new thread, or ask Cliff nicely if he could change the title for you.
Either way, I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

2 3/4 inches closer to Earth.

------------------
86 SE 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus"
Under the knife. Soon to be choptop...

aeffertz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Holly Cat Nip - It's been chopped! I guess that was the easy part? How do we get the windshield to lay back - section the roof and notch the A pillars? Do you have to take the windshield out first? I would think so. Can't wait to see the next step.

Pat
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
The windshield is laid back, just not as far as most. I also didn't notch the top of the windshield. I didn't want the roof to be flat, so I sloped it toward the rear.
If I get it just the way I am wanting to, it will have a smooth curve from the top of the windshield down the the tail lights. The body work will be the trick, which I suck at.

I now have the fastback clip cut up and tweaking it for fitment.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I think you'll like the sloped roof look.

It's part of what makes the Lamborghini Gallardo roof shape so striking.

Notice that it slopes downward from center to sides, and the with inward as it goes towards the rear of the car.
(Keeping the stock windshield height, and your angle, I think will allow you to tuck the rear in a little.)
You're in for lots of work though. Don't give up, and post tons of pics.

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

The windshield is laid back, just not as far as most. I also didn't notch the top of the windshield. I didn't want the roof to be flat, so I sloped it toward the rear.
If I get it just the way I am wanting to, it will have a smooth curve from the top of the windshield down the the tail lights. The body work will be the trick, which I suck at.

I now have the fastback clip cut up and tweaking it for fitment.

I understand now...... Like the Lambo or maybe something closer to this:

Very cool!

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Awesome pics!
Tapering in the sails was my next task. I started cutting and measuring tonight. (always cut first)
I'm taking the lip at the back of the sails off near the tail lights. Then moving the tips closer to center.
This will let the lowered profile blend into the decklid a little smoother.
The section where the clip meets the roof is giving me fits. The curve kinda dies there for a few inches.
Still looking into that problem.
LOTS of tweaking and it will work out.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
A slanted roofline never hurt anybody...

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Finally got the body to lay the way I like it. Made some relief cuts, so now it's time for the glasswork. My photobucket is acting up, so I'll post some more pics when I figure that out.
The sails will be shortened a few inches, so the last 8 inches or so of the decklid will be flush with the rear quarters. The wingless look should stand out a little more.
I'm gonna put the seat in for a test fit. It looks huge with an empty cabin. We will see.

------------------
86 SE 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus"
Under the knife. Soon to be choptop...

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
MUST HAVE PICS!
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
ok.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock