Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The Short Bus is getting a makeover...fastback style (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Short Bus is getting a makeover...fastback style by Carver1
Started on: 03-21-2010 10:22 PM
Replies: 130
Last post by: Carver1 on 06-28-2010 12:22 AM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
That's better - now I can sleep!
Neener, Neener, Neener - I own Page two!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-10-2010).]

IP: Logged
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I never get page 2.
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
It's looking great just make sure you can open the decklid just to make sure you don't have any clearance problems.
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
bump
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Hoping to get some more progress this weekend. I wanna tweek the roofline a little. I may end up laying back the windshield a little more and leveling the top. Still in the works. The rear clip doesn't want to flow into the top very well without a ton of mods. It may even end up a notchie again. Might even take an even six out of it. Hope I can fit!
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Hey its your car, but if it were me i would just go on and finish the chop and even it out.

You already know it will look killer, just ask jscott1 or any other choptop owner !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 04-10-2010).]

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
I say you just make a new rear clip. I like the sloping roofline idea. But then again, who cares what I say.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
The biggest problem I am going to have is the sail panels. If I glass the rear clip like I want to, with the sail tips toward the center of the car, just clearing the decklid, then there is no way to get a quarter window to sit in the space left. I am looking at other options. I'm not talented enough to fill in the quarter window area with a custom shaped piece. It is hard to explain (I'll get a pic later on), but there will be an offset on the lip that the stock quarter windows sits on. Looks like about 2 inches or so. I am also trying to re-shape the whole side and rear of the fastback clip. The angle from the sloped roof is too sharp to flow back the rear. It kinda ends up somewhere between the stock fastback and notchie sail panels. Unless I chop a little more out of it, it will still have that bubble look.
I'm not set on flattening out the roof yet, just kinda staring at it until something hits me.
I'm wondering if by not sectioning the roof, it is throwing the look off? My B-pillars are pulled in and leaning toward the rear. The back window will be leaning out at the top slightly with the current configuration. hmmmm.

Windows are WAAAY down the list now, and will almost have to be lexan. They will have to be shorter at the back with the curve kinda tapered from front to back.
I have two other project to do after looking at the car for a few days going and coming from work. Little things make it different.

More on the way!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Patiently waiting!
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
OK!
Back to business....
Finally got a little work done. First off, I decided to re-chop it.
Too many issues to deal with this time around, so I lay back the windshield and took the roof back to level. I also butchered up the fastback clip, so I am going back to the notchie.
Since I first thought of doing anything like this, Archie's "Stinger" has been my go-to pic every time I am tempted to break out the sawzall.
I rebuilt the b-pillars with all new metal. Angle iron, c-channel, and flat stock. I think it turned out good. I will go back after I finish all the gaps in the welds, and put sheet metal over the frame.
This chop ended up a little under three inches at the back window.
It's getting there!

Battle scars! Gotta watch those cut off wheels!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I love that Chop Top Notchie look!
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Dude, don't you know that you have to feed these things a little blood now and again!!!

Lookin' good

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
From the other thread on chops, GO YELLOW! Of course, I prefer yellow on sporty cars. Hides defects better also.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
It puts a smile on my face knowing you've returned to a notchback
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
That's funny because the same thing happened to myself when I was using the grinder. It was a tight spot where I had to grind. So I removed the guard and the handle. I had my leather gloves on but it didn't help any. So now I have a small scar on the side of my index finger and a the glove hanging in my shed as a reminder.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 04-19-2010).]

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
Stay patient.... stay focused.... Texas just has choptops growing everywhere like wildflowers...
Steven_Kreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post

I was going to post...

Fastback = Ruined it

But I see you've come to your senses
Fiero1K

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
Your subconscious destroyed the fb clip because notchchops are super boss. With the yellow, the notch, and the chop, you're going to look like the LT1 Stinger.....
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2010 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Wow. It used to be fastbacks were king. Glad to see notchies making a comeback.
I almost have to stick with yellow, or it wouldn't be the short bus anymore.
Might go with a little less orange this time. More of a canary maybe?
Still have a lot of work to do, along with learning how to bend up my own windows.
More pics and progress later this week.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Bump

Any progress?

Dave
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Had to build a shed the past few weekends, and I'm getting my old house ready to sell.
I am hoping to get the glassing finished in the next weekend or two.
I am also taking vacation in early June. I should get alot done then!
I'll keep everyone posted.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Damn carver. keep up the good work.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

Dude, were did you purchase your fiber glass matt material? Is the matt thick? I ran out and the fiberglass at the store isn't thick enough for my taste.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-09-2010).]

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
The glass is the kit that Autozone sells. The mat on top of the car is folded up. It's not as thick as it looks. This is my first time glassing, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

The glass is the kit that Autozone sells. The mat on top of the car is folded up. It's not as thick as it looks. This is my first time glassing, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks for your quick response. I saw the same material too at Auto Zone and Home Depo, but I need the type that V8Archie uses. I hate laying down layer upon layers just to build the area up.

Anyway, what side glass are you using? The windows that Archie sells?
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Thanks for your quick response. I saw the same material too at Auto Zone and Home Depo, but I need the type that V8Archie uses. I hate laying down layer upon layers just to build the area up.

Since when did you start doing your own fiberglassing..??

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E
(Un.Su.)

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
The windows are most likely going to be plastic. I don't know if Archie's will fit, and that would be an expensive flip of the coin.
There is a guy close to my work that says he can make custom glass, even with multiple curves. I'll let him try after I get it back on the road, but everyone knows how that will most likely turn out.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Door skind tops were sent to you .... cant wait to see what ya gonna do with them ... nice build by the way !!

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Door skind tops were sent to you .... cant wait to see what ya gonna do with them ... nice build by the way !!

???
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
oouppss wrong thread my opologies !!!!!1
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Dang it! I thought I was getting some free stuff!
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Progress!

Got a little body work done. Everything lines up as good as I wanted it to.
Also got the chin spoiler on . It needs trimming on the sides.
Back to work!
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Dude I gotta say I thought the way you were going with the fastback looked killer.
It would be pretty simple even with your limited glass experience to make some scoop or quarter windows,it is even possible to make a clear acrylic window on your own(not sure how successful it would be/trys it would take).

If I lived closer to you I would take the fastback parts to try it on a parts car,I thought it was looking good with the fastback cut down.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I Love Progress! Beats building a shed!
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Wrong thread but at least I got one thing right......... " Nice build "
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Thank you!
Hope to be on the road soon, so I can start my new project....
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Got some more work done to the Short Bus today. The body work is about done. Little touch up areas left, but I got the shape I wanted. The chin spoiler is finished except for paint. I went ahead and lowered the front also. I went down ALOT. I also cleaned up all the front end parts.
This is the first time the bus has moved since I started. I pushed it out of the garage to sweep up a little. It sits lower than my Solstice now.
Can't wait to get this thing on the road.
Still have to lower the rear. I'm hoping to have it put back together so I can start on the glass and the interior by this weekend.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Looking hot !

Close that rear wheel gap (lower or bigger wheels) and you got a stunner !
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Great job...it's going to be a cool ride
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments. It is looking more like a door stop everyday.
I'm starting to think I went a little too low on the front. The fender catches me right below the knee when I stand at the center of the wheel.
I guess if I hit someone, they would most likely just roll over the car and land back on their feet.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock