"Hypothetical" 2012 Fiero! by katore8105
Started on: 03-13-2010 04:49 PM
Replies: 85
Last post by: tigershark on 09-30-2010 10:13 PM
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Lets say that GM popped out a 2012 Fiero as there are so many cars being re continued lately anyway. So basically modernize the design, new lighter and stronger alloy than the 80s so I would imagine it would be a lot lighter. What would you want for suspension, drive train options, and predominant features?

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 03-13-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
This would be their one chance to redeem themselves from the Solstice and the Camaro. Enthusiasts want big power and light weight for cheap. We don't want to be forced to take all the heavy luxury "features" just to get the good engine. Forget the sound deadening under the carpet, forget any features in the seats, forget power windows and locks, forget any upholstery in the trunk. Give us a turbocharged Ecotec standard, a turbocharged 3.6L direct injected, and give us an all-aluminum 4.8L LS with cathedral-port heads. Make a stick-and-clutch-pedal trans standard behind all 3 engines. Give us Brembo brakes, 17x9 front and 17x10 rear wheels, give us small wheel well openings that look full with 24.7" front and 25.3" rear tires, keep the weight under 2800 pounds with 15 gallons of fuel, make it look boring so the cops won't see it, and do it all for under $25,000.00 including any of these 3 engines, and including destination. Make any other trans a $5,000.00 option.
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
I'd like factory t-tops as an option... A turbo charged ecotec would be cool for a base, and for the next step I'd like a turbo 2.8 HF v6. If a v8 were offered it would be cool for it to be a boosted n* but to keep costs down that wouldn't happen. 6 speed manual, autos optional just so the sales are high enough to keep it around. As said ^, no deadening, minimal insulation n such. Share certain suspension and brake components with the camaros and ss cobalts to keep costs down, but not to the point of destroying the car like the originals...
katore8105

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Hey, yah never know. It would be cool if we could compile enough feedback to maybe make it worth getting to GM.
anyone else?

I was thinking of a sporty body kit and v-8 for a GTP version (at a significant price increase). Body kit and turbocharged 3.6 for the GT, While keeping a base body style for the Ecotec coupe.

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 03-13-2010).]

Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
2012... This new Fiero would have to end the world.

[This message has been edited by Valkyrie (edited 03-13-2010).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
It would be a new Acura NSX.

It already looks like an updated Fiero.

TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Actually, with pontiac dead, they'd have to bring it back as something else...buick reatta, anyone? Buicks answer to the lotus evora, more in line with the every day american working man. They'd have a non boosted ecotec in the base. Then they'd have a GS, with a Turbo ecotec and all the niceties you'd expect from a buick. The GSX would eliminate the niceties, manual would be the only tranny, ecotec with turbo is standard, with turbo 6 an option. Different body kit, suspension, minimal insulation, lightweight materials, etc. Should be possible to get it down to 2500 pounds even with safety garbage if you eliminate the luxuries.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
If we're doing a new mid engine sports car, I would say that the LNF engine (Solstice/Sky turbo engine) would be a good place to start. 260 HP, very little turbo lag, and good fuel economy. Or maybe even making the GMPP upgrade kit stock, which boosts power to 290/345.

Then, resurrect the HPVO 2.0L engine which died with the recession and bankruptcy. That version of the LNF would have had well over 300 HP.

The DI 3.6L V6 would be intriguing too. However, with it being heavier, and with a higher center of gravity, I am thinking the LNF would be better for overall weight savings.

Of course, they could do things right this time, and stick LS series V8's into it too.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I'd have to say use the 3.6 DI. It has a very exotic sound and would fit the character of a mid-engine sports car very well.
If you use a V8, figure out how to put 180° headers on it, so it sounds like this....
katore8105

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It would be a new Acura NSX.

It already looks like an updated Fiero.

yeah I would have to say, that is close to what I would imagine a Fiero to be!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
As much I would like to see this happen, I wouldn't want a Fiero other then a Pontiac. So unless Pontiac is returned by some other company, it just wouldn't be the same.
PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
real question is...who would want to buy and car these days...way too much power in the computers....restrictive for performance etc....give me a wrench before a pc tuner anyday

------------------

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

real question is...who would want to buy and car these days...way too much power in the computers....restrictive for performance etc....give me a wrench before a pc tuner anyday

I would buy a new Camaro if I could afford it. In a Camaro's computer programming at least, it is not restrictive for performance, in fact, the modern technology actually increases performance and emissions at the same time. Modern computer's are complex, I agree, but that doesn't mean that they are BAD. You have far more tuning ability with a PC then a wrench. But wrenching is fun too.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
A new Fiero? I think the recipe would be much the same as it was twenty years ago. Construct the spaceframe from an alloy versus steel, light sharpening of the bodywork (although the fastback shape has aged very well as it is!), update the interior. Stick with the original recipe for power - torquey and naturally aspirated. Use something like the LAF 2.4 for the basic four cylinder, and for a GT variant you'd want something epic from the HighValue V6 family. Mmmmmmm... high value V6...
katore8105

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
I must agree that the Fastback has aged far better than any other 1980's vehicle that I am aware of.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
they would buy the rights to the plazma kit imo.

yes the fieros and Zeds have aged the best. some rx7s

------------------

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

. . . make it look boring so the cops won't see it. . .

Well at least GM can handle that aspect .

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

katore8105

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:
Well at least GM can handle that aspect .

Haha, I'll second that one.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Pick your Poison...

Will your 'new' Fiero be badged as a Buick, Bowtie, GMC, or Caddy?

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
I'm a chevy guy, but I'd hate to see a big tacky gold colored plastic bow tie on the hood. Gimme the buick shields. Maybe with a pegasus on the shield. Yeah, a shield with a pegasus might be a cool emblem for a new fiero... plus I could def see a fiero with styling cues from the new buicks.
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
I don’t much care about the name of the car or the brand. It is the car itself that counts and of course the price.

If a Porsche Cayman cost $25k I wouldn’t be wishing for the next Fiero. Many at Pontiac seemed to want to make the Fiero into an affordable Porsche.

Mustang, Camero and Corvette are iconic cars and car names. Far less than half of the population remembers hearing of or seeing Fieros. Half of those that remember the name think it stands for “cars that catch fire” or that they suffered from “unintentional incineration.”

In my opinion, the next Fiero could be made by anyone and called anything as long as it is true to the spirit and feeling of a Fiero.

The contention that through of modern materials, a new Fiero would be lighter is just wrong. Our cars are mercifully free from the ravages of the safety features required of a modern automobile. These modern materials are also too expensive and price is what sets the Fiero apart from the competition. What’s the point in making a $60k Fiero? I could enjoy seeing them on the road if anybody bought them I guess.
PFF
System Bot
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
How much does a Solstice weight? Get rid of the extra bs reinforcement needed because of the converable top. Get rid of the extra luxuries. Use lighter materials. You could make a modern car light weight. Lotus manages.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post

TommyRocker

2808 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Ok, a solstice weighs in at 2,877 pounds(curb weight). Seems to me that a coupe, with the luxury bits removed, like sound deadening, extra speakers and so on, get rid of a spare tire if it has one, so on, and use lightweight materials,racing seats, all that jazz, could come in even lighter. I think 2700 pounds is a very reasonable goal, and with modern engines, transmissions, suspensions, etc it would perform very well, and would be priced similar to a solstice.
Mr_jacob7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr_jacob7Send a Private Message to Mr_jacob7Direct Link to This Post
I want it. Give it to me now, GM!

:P

------------------
"Be not led astray, bretheren beloved..." -James 1:16.

Thanks, Danyel, for the graphic.

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
My idea of a 2012 Fiero?

Dry weight of 2400lbs
Aluminum construction
Lack of luxury features, just the essentials.
Reasonably priced at $20-25k
Powerplant choices of GM's 2.0 turbocharged 5 speed combo, with just a tune producing 350hp. An option of an N/A 2.4L engine mated to a 4 speed automatic tranny.
Fastback body styling with composite panels.

There ya go.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac is GM's only performance branch...the corvette doesn't count...since its just gay.

Since they have abolished Pontiac gm is no longer a performance company in any aspect...so the fiero would be a 8 seater low and long car...and probably the shape of a box
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
^ lol wow.. and what exactly makes the Vette gay? The Camaro counts for nothing too?
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Don't be ignorant. The buick GSX(455) was faster than any pontiac of the era. The buick GNX(3.8) was faster than any pontiac of its era(same era as our little fiero, if you'll recall), Chevy Corvette is faster than any pontiac of any era, and handles better than any pontiac of any era. What, exactly, did Pontiac have right before they died? A fast saturn and a faster holden. Where was the fast poncho? Call me crazy, but I'm a car nut, so if its a good car, I'm interested. And, if you are worried about performance heritage, the fiero name should be retired permanently because it was conceived, designed, built, and sold as an economical commuter.

Btw, gm still have a say in subaru? The subaru ej series engines with current transaxles lend themselves to a very nice, compact, light weight, longitudinal mid engine setup
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:
Btw, gm still have a say in subaru? The subaru ej series engines with current transaxles lend themselves to a very nice, compact, light weight, longitudinal mid engine setup

Only if you like replacing gearboxes and cars that sound like poorly tuned Volkswagen Beetles...

Not sure where all this 'no amenities' nonsense is coming from. The Fiero was a fun commuter, not a supercar - no carpets or noise dampening or stereo blah blah to make it lighter would just result in something that's absolutely horrible for daily driving.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't see them building a new fiero weighing anything less than 3000 lbs. Just think of all the safety stuff they have to put in now.

I couldn't believe how fat and bloated the solstice was... when I first saw it, I was hoping it'd be coming in around 2500lbs
F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I'm just hoping my house is sold and I have my house here built, and I am in order to get the new Corvette Stingray coming out in a year or two. The C5 is sold, I have other things to get rid of and then GM will be selling the new Stingray. Then sit back and wait for retirement.
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

I couldn't see them building a new fiero weighing anything less than 3000 lbs. Just think of all the safety stuff they have to put in now.

I couldn't believe how fat and bloated the solstice was... when I first saw it, I was hoping it'd be coming in around 2500lbs

If they made that aluminum space frame they were toying with when the Fiero was canceled, it would definitely weigh less than 3000 lbs.
vinny

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

Don't be ignorant. The buick GSX(455) was faster than any pontiac of the era. The buick GNX(3.8) was faster than any pontiac of its era(same era as our little fiero, if you'll recall), Chevy Corvette is faster than any pontiac of any era, and handles better than any pontiac of any era. What, exactly, did Pontiac have right before they died? A fast saturn and a faster holden. Where was the fast poncho? Call me crazy, but I'm a car nut, so if its a good car, I'm interested. And, if you are worried about performance heritage, the fiero name should be retired permanently because it was conceived, designed, built, and sold as an economical commuter.

http://jalopnik.com/256640/...vs-pontiac-gto-judge Everything is a matter of opinion. And remember the 1989 turbo Trans am. Even though it had a buick motor it was still a Pontiac. A couple of the FASTEST GM cars of the seventies was the 73,74 Super duty Trans ams that were rated 310 and 290 net HP respectivly (under rated) Faster than any Corvette of the era.

Vinny
katore8105

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Mmmmmmm. Judge GTO!

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 03-16-2010).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by vinny:
http://jalopnik.com/256640/...vs-pontiac-gto-judge Everything is a matter of opinion. And remember the 1989 turbo Trans am. Even though it had a buick motor it was still a Pontiac. A couple of the FASTEST GM cars of the seventies was the 73,74 Super duty Trans ams that were rated 310 and 290 net HP respectivly (under rated) Faster than any Corvette of the era.

Vinny

The 89 Turbo TA was faster than the Grand National, Corvette, and even the GNX.
(gotta mention both Grand National and GNX since so many people have no clue they're two separate cars)

And of course your mention of the 70's Super Duty 455, not to mention Pontiac still selling a 455 in '76 when the Vette had gone to small blocks only by then. The '79 W72 400 Trans Am with WS6 suspension was also one of the strong runners and better handling cars of the late '70's.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
the camaros always were and have been junk cars untill pontiac remvamped everything in them. i'll post an article later. Vette is over rated imo...bad styling and did not have very good steering.,.and the worst thing? it killed the fiero.

------------------

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Given more money, I would just buy a Lotus Exige.

It's modern, and unlike most modern cars, it's not a heavy fat-ass piece of junk with extra weight-adding crap.

I like it for all the reasons I like the Fiero, but it's better.

Except for styling though, but the exterior is of little importance; when you're in the driver's seat, a car that drives well is going to put more of a smile on your face than a car that looks good.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 03-16-2010).]

Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
well not always. it matters on who you ask...i personally beleive that any car can go fast...but only some look good doing it.

------------------

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i say just bring out the fiero concept car... with alittle updating here and there.
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
Maybe I am trying to consol myself because modern family sedans can embarrass me by way of acceleration and many corner pretty well too. But what it’s about is the fun (not the hokie pokie). Drive one of these modern marvels and they are boring.

In the 70s I had a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 with 105 hp I think. I had station wagons loaded with kids and groceries leave me at the light, oblivious to my existence or the fact that I was hitting the red line in every gear in a desperate but futile attempt to keep up. But, I was having fun and they weren’t. I was making beautiful music and looking good and they weren’t. There were times when I was driving 25 mph through neighborhoods and people out in their yards would yell at me to slow down. Maybe it was the roll bar or the side exhaust.

Anyway, it’s about the fun, not the numbers for me. I am not competing with anyone when I drive. It’s excitement competing with boredom.

I have never driven an NSX and know no one who has. I have wanted one since they came out but I fear that they are beautiful but boring. A Fiero should not become that.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock