stereo amp by nosaint
Started on: 03-12-2010 09:08 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Australian on 07-08-2010 04:55 AM
nosaint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
I did a search and in my time here I have never seen an amp mounted in the hood area...Is there some reason for that?
I do not have a spare tire and im not sure if it would fit on my big brakes conversion so i thinking about mounting in there.

Thoughts from experts please?

Seat backs are not an option as I need my leg room
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Its easier to go behind the seats. And its pretty safe bet that it will stay dry. No reason not to use the trunk if it stays perfectly dry and you can route the wires safely.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The reason most do not mount the amps under the hood is distance of the wire runs. You have to run power all the way up front, Then run all the speaker and input lines back into the cabin. There are very few spots to run a lot of wires thru as well. So while it can be done, Most opt for the behind the seat spot for ease and convienence.

Unless your amp is a huge Pheonix Gold or Rockford Fosgate plate amp, It should fit behind the seat. The Fiero seats at the bottom have about a 2.5" - 3" gap with the seat all the way back. Most amplifiers will fit there and the vent in the B pillar will help with cooling.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 03-13-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosaint:

I did a search and in my time here I have never seen an amp mounted in the hood area...Is there some reason for that?

Done it. Much easier and you have more room, if you don't have A/C and sunroof.

Works well (far away from electrical noise) //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031110-1-025672.html

See my website (GT link in sig) But it's a bit out of date....

Moved some speakers around //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...041015-1-042070.html
Installed Eclipse CD8454 head unit //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-060133.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-08-2010).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Actually a few people mounted their's in the hood area. No reason no to.

Behind the seat just seems more convenient. Less wire to run, and the battery is just right on the other side of the wirewall..

Slight threadjack: How did people run the positive wire from the battery? Did you use an existing gromment? (which one), the wire harness from the engine, or did you drill a new hole (with grommet), if so, where?

Did you use the seat bolts for ground, or did you drill a ground hole somewhere? If so, where?
2m4dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
hey dude ill be strait up im know proffesional but thats a long distance to run ure power wire and everything id just mounth it behind the passanger seat that wat i plan on doing with mine
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Done it. Works well (far away from electrical noise) //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031110-1-025672.html

See my website (GT link in sig) But it's a bit out of date....

Moved some speakers around //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...041015-1-042070.html
Installed Eclipse CD8454 head unit //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-060133.html

i saw your setup in an audio mag before i even owned a fiero. the two fieros i put amps in are both front mounted from seeing it.
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the help. I cant really get to my car at the moment and did not realize that with the seat all the way back there was still room! Maybe I should build a bracket for more leg room instead!
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Slight threadjack: How did people run the positive wire from the battery? Did you use an existing gromment? (which one), the wire harness from the engine, or did you drill a new hole (with grommet), if so, where?

Did you use the seat bolts for ground, or did you drill a ground hole somewhere? If so, where?

guess ill answer that unless youve been pm'ed already lol. in my 87, behind the center console, in the firewall there were two very large, very soft and rubbery grommets. one for the shifter cable, and one empty. i took a screwdriver and shoved it thru the center of the grommet to make a hole. then i had a friend help me get the wire thru the hole. once done, it will have become completely water tight, and after reinstalling the center console will already be mostly hidden. all without drilling or anything complicated or time consuming
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by faaaaq:

guess ill answer that unless youve been pm'ed already lol. in my 87, behind the center console, in the firewall there were two very large, very soft and rubbery grommets. one for the shifter cable, and one empty. i took a screwdriver and shoved it thru the center of the grommet to make a hole. then i had a friend help me get the wire thru the hole. once done, it will have become completely water tight, and after reinstalling the center console will already be mostly hidden. all without drilling or anything complicated or time consuming

Thank you. Actually nobody had answered that, So I really welcome that you took the time.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2m4dude:

hey dude ill be strait up im know proffesional but thats a long distance to run ure power wire and everything id just mounth it behind the passanger seat that wat i plan on doing with mine

You ever going to learn to type something correctly or just continue to look like a complete idiot?
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

The way Faaaaq did it is one way to go. I did mine slightly different. I drilled holes through the firewall up by the battery and put grommets in. This allowed less then 3' of wire to be used for each, so I grounded the amp directly to the battery. Usually you don't ground the amp to the battery because of distance, but I seem to recall that there is less chance of a ground loop if you are close enough to ground to the battery. I might be wrong on that, it's been along time since I studied my MECP installer test book. Plus, I'm about 15 years past my wanting to be a car audio installer phase.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-07-2010).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Actually a few people mounted their's in the hood area. No reason no to.

Aside from possibly losing your sun roof storage location...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 07-07-2010).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2010 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I saw one in a thread just this week. I was only ever looking through the last 3 days of posts so if you went through all the posts this week you would find the thread.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock