Fiero audio.. questions and suggestions from the experts by Wipe0ut
Started on: 02-23-2005 01:42 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: Wipe0ut on 03-03-2005 03:57 PM
Wipe0ut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
It's come to the point where I am doing a major overhaul of the vehicle's sound system. My CD player got stolen recently, and that prompted me to wonder if I can actually make a Fiero sound good. There are a few things running through my head:
Mount 5.25" or 6.5" components in the dash where the 4x10s went.
-For bass, I would probably go with something like a PPI Pro 10" behind the passenger seat (shallow sub) in a little box, driven by a JBL BP300.1 or similar.
or
Make kicks for the doors and mount 6.5" there and tweeters on the dash.
-I would have plenty of bass with this setup if I used Adire Audio's Extremis 6.8s in the pods, which is what I want to do. They will be externally amped.

What have you guys done for good sounding set ups? I don't want to hear that you replaced the 4x10s with Jensens and powered them with a Pyramid amp =) I'm looking for something that utilitzes components (no two- or three-ways.. bleh).

What are your thoughts on some Alpine components? The Best Buy where I work (in the installation bay) recently became an Alpine reseller so I get a discount on everything Alpine. Otherwise I was probably going to go out and listen to some MB Quarts and Infinitys, or go with the Adire Audio setup (probably my best option).

If you did kicks or mounted components in the dash, do you have any pictures?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I'm running MB Quarts components in the dash, OZ Audio mid-bass in the kicks, Alpine plates in the rear sail panel, OZ Audio subs behind the seats. Pics here:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-
000002/HTML/20041015-1-042070.html

I'm running a 6-channel Mcintosh amp mounted up front.
Pics //www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20031110-1-025672.html

I just bought a new head unit to replace the Denon. It's 12+ years old and the technology has advanced so far since then. The Eclipse CD8454 is pretty awesome in it's capabilities and has won the 2004 "Product of the Year".

Too many specs to mention, but plays all music formats, can use Memory Sticks, has built-in electronic parametric equalization, 6-channel outputs (front/rear/sub-woofer), and is almost "self-programming". I can go from the deck (6 outputs) straight to the Mcintosh amp (6 inputs) and also eliminate the Audio Control 4-channel EQQ equalizer. Unfortunaltely, it will be mid-March before I get around to installing it

Details here. Click model CD8454 on sidebar menu http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_cd.html

------------------
Fiero Fiesta - July 24, 2005 - Calgary, Alberta <--- click this LINK

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-23-2005).]

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's what I was looking for! Funny thing: I was looking at that exact head unit yesterday, the 8454. One of its big selling points to me was the ability for it to auto-EQ itself using the memory stick and your computer - awesome. If I don't go through with my car computer project, I'll probably be getting one of those. Do you have any "finished" pictures of the kick pods? I've never fiberglassed before so I'd probably be horrible at it, so is there anyone that can make me a set? I'm DIY all the way but for something like that I'd rather not have it look like a newbie made it

that McIntosh amp looks really, really expensive. Really.. I bet your setup sounds great, though. Any pics of the subs too?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
hey fierosound - what is that cupholder out of?
I was planning on using one from a subaru but that looks like a perfect fit
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Thread stealer
Oh, and quoting fierosound on that thread:
"I got the cup-holder assembly from a 96 Dodge Colt at a wrecking yard."
Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
I picked up an 85 GT last summer with a pretty impressive sound. I couldn't believe that it was coming from the stock speaker locations. It has Memphis Power Reference 4x10's. They are many times better than the Sony's that I have been rebuilding with.
zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wipe0ut:I don't want to hear that you replaced the 4x10s with Jensens and powered them with a Pyramid amp =)

LOL

Um, fiero sounds system is easy. Except for that thing called bass.
Put the most work/money into getting a good sub system set up. Everything else is no brainer.

I want to make a custom sub box in the front trunk, and vent it inside the car. Others like fierosound(sweet system) have done some custom work behind the seats.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't want to put kick panel speakers in a Fiero. They'll probably mess up the sound stage... not to mention the fact that your leg next to the speaker will muffle the sound.

I'd suggest mounting the speakers as close to head level as possible. This will put the sound stage right where it needs to be. In addition, the speakers should have a "clear shot" to your ears. Any object between the speaker and your ear will distort the sound.

I would also recommend aiming the tweeters directly at your head. Instead of mounting tweeters in the stock dash spots (bouncing the sound off the windshield), I would recommend mounting them in pods on the A-pillars.

Woofers, on the other hand, can be mounted just about anywhere.

B-pillar speakers can be considered optional. Some people like them, and some people don't. It depends on what type of soundstage you're after. Personally, I like the "quasi-surround" effect from having tweeters in the B-pillars.

Selecting the size and brand of speakers will depend on your personal listening tastes... and how much power you plan on pushing through the system. But I would pay more attention to the construction and technical specs than the brand name. Some things to consider:

-- Do you prefer paper or plastic cones (or something else)?
-- Do you prefer textile, plastic, or metal tweeter domes?
-- Do the speakers have butyl rubber or foam surrounds? (butyl rubber is better)
-- Does the speaker's frequency response correspond with that of the other speakers in the system? (example: if your woofer starts to die off at 120Hz and your midrange only digs down to 200Hz, you have a problem)
-- Does your amp and head unit have a good S/N ratio? (anything over 90dB should be fine for CDs, or over 100dB for DVDs).
-- Do the amp and head unit have a low THD? (if I remember correctly, THD at the speaker should be less than 0.1%)

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 02-23-2005).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I wouldn't want to put kick panel speakers in a Fiero. They'll probably mess up the sound stage... not to mention the fact that your leg next to the speaker will muffle the sound.

I'd suggest mounting the speakers as close to head level as possible. This will put the sound stage right where it needs to be. In addition, the speakers should have a "clear shot" to your ears. Any object between the speaker and your ear will distort the sound.

Agreed. That's why I only have the mid-bass in the kick panel area. It also helps "pull the bass forward".

Good information here: http://www.carstereo.com/help/speakers.cfm
but I disagree that kickpanels are the best locations for tweeter and midrange components.

To sound "live" you want a high "front stage". I did this without these guy's products, but their explanation is good.
http://www.cdtaudio.com/stagefront_upstage_systems.htm

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15144 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by Wipe0ut:

Wow, that's what I was looking for! Funny thing: I was looking at that exact head unit yesterday, the 8454. One of its big selling points to me was the ability for it to auto-EQ itself using the memory stick and your computer - awesome. If I don't go through with my car computer project,

When reading through the manual, I noticed that you can also RECORD from CD to memory stick as well.
My kicks aren't fiberglass. They're made of MDF and sheet aluminium.

Sub-woofer pics are on my website. LINK is in signature above.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-24-2005).]

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The Extremis 6.8s would go in the kick pods, not the tweeters. The tweeters would be mounted either in the stock dash location or on the A-pillar, depending on what I like better. I think this is a good idea because I want to put the Extremises in an enclosure. Have you guys SEEN these midwoofers? They're phenomenal from what I've read about them - they utilize the same motor structure as the Adire Audio Brahma, only they're 6.5" speakers. They have 13mm of Xmax! (Xmax is the techie term for one-way linear cone travel.. so that's 26mm of linear cone travel both ways!) You can find them on Adire's site ]http://www.adireaudio.com

The windshield doesn't really introduce distortion, but I'll find out which I like more. Reflecting highs off the windshield usually produces a wider, more expansive soundstage.

I would also recommend aiming the tweeters directly at your head. Instead of mounting tweeters in the stock dash spots (bouncing the sound off the windshield), I would recommend mounting them in pods on the A-pillars.

Woofers, on the other hand, can be mounted just about anywhere.

B-pillar speakers can be considered optional. Some people like them, and some people don't. It depends on what type of soundstage you're after. Personally, I like the "quasi-surround" effect from having tweeters in the B-pillars.
Those are coming out and I will never have rear fill again. It screws with imaging too much. The only thing I would ever have coming from the rear is bass
Selecting the size and brand of speakers will depend on your personal listening tastes... and how much power you plan on pushing through the system. But I would pay more attention to the construction and technical specs than the brand name. Some things to consider:

-- Do you prefer paper or plastic cones (or something else)?
-- Do you prefer textile, plastic, or metal tweeter domes?
-- Do the speakers have butyl rubber or foam surrounds? (butyl rubber is better)
Now wait just one minute butyl rubber isn't the "all around champ" here. Yes it holds up much better in harsh conditions and doesn't rot, but foam surrounds are generally considered more precise. The actual technical specs (TS [Thiele-Small parameters]) are much more important though (check out the TS parameters on any Adire product by the way )
-- Does the speaker's frequency response correspond with that of the other speakers in the system? (example: if your woofer starts to die off at 120Hz and your midrange only digs down to 200Hz, you have a problem)
-- Does your amp and head unit have a good S/N ratio? (anything over 90dB should be fine for CDs, or over 100dB for DVDs).
If you can tell the difference between 96 dB S/N and 100 dB S/N then you have the best ears in the world.. I wouldn't worry too much about S/N ratios as all the decent decks are more than adequate.. my $.02
-- Do the amp and head unit have a low THD? (if I remember correctly, THD at the speaker should be less than 0.1%)
For low frequencies, it is hard to distinguish 10% THD, let alone .1%. Any non-craptacular amp should be more than fine in this regard for lows, and shouldn't be much of an issue for highs either.

Disclaimer: If I came across as crabby it's either because I'm tired or you're wrong
Edit: P.S. I have a weird way of quoting things.. the bold is my text.

[This message has been edited by Wipe0ut (edited 02-24-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post

Wipe0ut

1524 posts
Member since May 2002

Originally posted by zMacK:I
LOL

Um, fiero sounds system is easy. Except for that thing called bass.
Put the most work/money into getting a good sub system set up. Everything else is no brainer.

I want to make a custom sub box in the front trunk, and vent it inside the car. Others like fierosound(sweet system) have done some custom work behind the seats.

For this car, I'm still undecided whether or not I want to go with a subwoofer. If I do, it won't be anything huge (like a Brahma). I'm going for sound quality, not shake-the-neighbor's-dentures-out bass.. but on the flip side I do like my bass. That's why I am trying to make myself spend the $200 on a pair of Extremis 6.8s - I get bass and I don't have to carry the weight of or find a place for a sub. For sub placement, the center console is pretty much out of the question for me - I don't want anything pounding away 5" from my head.

As for head unit/CD deck/whatever you want to call it, I'm also undecided on whether or not I'm even going to get one. I've been toying with the idea of a car computer for quite some time now, and I have the resources to do it (I'm working a lot more so I have some extra money, and I have the know-how). I'll have a Viper 791XV soon so security won't be a huge issue as long as I keep most of the stuff hidden. I'm currently planning to run a small two channel amp (25-50 watts per channel) to power my speakers, and running RCAs from that to the computer, which will be housed in the dash, along with a 12V DC-to-DC power supply, powering a mini-ITX motherboard running XP Media Center Edition or something similar. I realized the other day I could even have the computer turn itself on with my remote start and boot up before I get to the car, and bootup time was one of my three big issues (the others being automatic shutdown and what touch screen to use). It's all still in the works at this point, but don't be surprised if I start building this thing soon.. like I said I'm getting some hours at work and that means money for toys.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Wipe0ut said:
Disclaimer: If I came across as crabby it's either because I'm tired or you're wrong

Either way, I get the point.

Later

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
So now the question is.. who makes kick pods for Fieros, the cheaper the better? Fierosound how do you like yours, how deep is your enclosure for them, and would you make a set or help me make a set? Anybody good with fiberglass here?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wipe0ut:

So now the question is.. who makes kick pods for Fieros, the cheaper the better? Fierosound how do you like yours, how deep is your enclosure for them, and would you make a set or help me make a set? Anybody good with fiberglass here?

They are from the kick panel to the edge of the door trim, about 2.5" deep, just deep enough for the mid-bass.
It is just a 3-sided "box" - front and top are MDF, side is aluminium sheet. It's attached with sheet metal screws and the edges where it meet the car's sheet metal were sealed with black silicone.

If you pull out your carpet, you can use cardboard to make a "box" that fits in there however you like.
Then just use those pieces as a template for your MDF, sheet metal, whatever.

I'm personally not a big fan of fiberglass enclosures. I believe MASS adds your bass and mid-bass reproduction.
Aside from Bose, many high end speakers (especially subs) are still in an enclosure made of MDF.

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2005 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
The stock fiero speakers, 4X10 an 4X6 wont put out much bass.
Nomatter what music you listen to, you have to add more then they can put out.

Adding some custom speakers might help, but a fiero needs a subwoffer to make a good sounding sound system

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2005 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
I disagree. With a properly set up component system utilizing something like the Extremis 6.8s, I'm sure the car will have plenty of bass. Now I just need to find a place to mount them.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2005 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
aus. sells some nicley made and reasonably priced door pods, im thinking about getting a set myself,
http://www.fieroshop.com.au/estore/view_product.php?product=3
sk8rfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2005 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sk8rfieroSend a Private Message to sk8rfieroDirect Link to This Post
Here is my set up. Kenwood headunit , in dash mounted 6.5 pioneer mid bass w/ infinite tweeters mounted on 1/8 wood plate, running off Rockford Fosgate Punch45 (22.5W p/ch), running the head rest speakers off the headunit (for fill) and a 8"JL Audio Sub running off a bridged Rockford Fosgate Punch150 (75W p/ch)and finally a Acoustics Xover. I listen to rock & bass music & this set up works well for me. The biggest obsticle you face is the BBBBBBass. In my case I did not want to give up being able to slide the seats all the way back and/or recline them. I didn't want to loose the front compartment space / spare tire either. I built a sealed box out of 5/8 fiberboard for the JL Audio 8" that is just shy of .5 cuft and stuffed it with as much polyfill as I could(polyfill helps to trick the speaker into thinking its in a larger volume box, available from any fabric store) The box has approx. 6 sides that allows it to contour to the passenger side front floor board . It is the height from floor to bottom of AC heater box and does not stick out past the plastic "foot rest thing". depending on the song I have enough bass that you can feel the pressure standing outside of the car. Don't get me wrong it's not like 2 -12's in an SUV but I'd say its proportionate for what a Fiero can do. All the sound comes from the "front stage" including the bass. Amps are mounted behind the seats
Beene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2005 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BeeneSend a Private Message to BeeneDirect Link to This Post
I run a Pioneer AVH-P6500 indash screen/DVD player with a DEQ-P8000 Surround processor to:
Front Mid/High-MTX active crossover - Audiocontrol ESP2 - Rockford 150S - MB Quartz 6.5" Components in the kicks
Front Mid Bass-MTX Active Crossover - Rockford 150S - MB Quartz 6.5" Reference Midbass drivers in door pods
Rears- Infinity 3.5" still in the factory headrest locations
Bottom End-Audiocontrol Overdrive - Audiocontrol Epicenter - Rockford 800.2 - MTX MXS1204 Superwoofer in a Bandpass box in the front "Trunk" with both vents channled to cab(I believe it's a 4th order but I always get them confused, the only problems I had with this is that you need to get rid of the plastic tub up front and make sure up include the length of the vents running into the car when you do your port calculations)
Other that that I have a PS2 in the Dash(custom dash of course) and 2x1 farad Caps
I can offer pics if you want but I'm not quite done vinyling yet so I have mainly "in progress" pics.
KingOfKings

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2005 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KingOfKingsClick Here to visit KingOfKings's HomePageSend a Private Message to KingOfKingsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Beene:
I can offer pics if you want but I'm not quite done vinyling yet so I have mainly "in progress" pics.

pics plz

PFF
System Bot
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

aus. sells some nicley made and reasonably priced door pods, im thinking about getting a set myself,
http://www.fieroshop.com.au/estore/view_product.php?product=3

Looks like that's my ticket! I shot them an e-mail and I think they're soon to be mine

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock