Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Newbie: Do tall guys fit in a Fiero? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Newbie: Do tall guys fit in a Fiero? by BigGuyTinyCar
Started on: 01-21-2009 10:37 PM
Replies: 75
Last post by: darkhorizon on 11-23-2010 08:10 AM
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Go for a sunroof or T-top for more room. I don't touch the ceiling with the seat all the way back and I am 6'5". Mine has Lambo doors, so it is tough to get out since the doors don't open as far as normal. Once I lift the door, I'm in better shape.

Good luck with the purchase!
IP: Logged
Dougie Murder

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderDirect Link to This Post

That should answer your question!!

------------------

Romeoliquorstore.com
Myspace

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BigGuyTinyCar:

Yes, I've been reading up on them. 88 seems to be the consensus for best year. Is it
all 88's or just the GT's (or Formulas, etc.)?

I personally would not recommend a 88 unless you have to have one Suspension and brake parts are way more money than the other years, and if you need something odd, you could very easily be out of luck.

I have both an 88 and a 86, and the 86 is so much easier to get parts for. The 88 does feel tighter when driving, but the 86 is not that bad either.
BigGuyTinyCar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dougie Murder:

That should answer your question!!

Wow! You're right, that explains a lot. He looked to be a 7 footer.

BigGuyTinyCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarDirect Link to This Post

BigGuyTinyCar

308 posts
Member since Jan 2009

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
I personally would not recommend a 88 unless you have to have one Suspension and brake parts are way more money than the other years, and if you need something odd, you could very easily be out of luck.

I have both an 88 and a 86, and the 86 is so much easier to get parts for. The 88 does feel tighter when driving, but the 86 is not that bad either.

Thanks. That's a good perspective I hadn't heard before. I'm not all that much into taking curves at 60+ mph, so the non-88 would
probably be fine for me. Are the suspension and brake parts for 84-87 all (or partially) interchangeable?

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BigGuyTinyCar:

Thanks. That's a good perspective I hadn't heard before. I'm not all that much into taking curves at 60+ mph, so the non-88 would
probably be fine for me. Are the suspension and brake parts for 84-87 all (or partially) interchangeable?

Yeah. 88 is the only year that got a unique suspension. I'm pretty sure everything else can be used with everything else.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85duke:

Search for username Mattwa he is taller than me and says he fits. I think there is a pic of him next to his car somewhere on the forum.

Originally posted by Patrick:

At 6'5" you should still be okay. Keep in mind though that you get a bit more headroom in a Fiero equipped with a sunroof.

It's actually quite surprising how roomy it is in these cars.

Originally posted by MileHighFiero:

I am 6' 5'' as well and fit fine in mine with the seat all the way back....

o and head room.... well my car is just a perfect match i guess!

Was I summoned?
Yes I have enough room, and I'm 6' 5"

As, you can see (or maybe not) My body is disproportional. I have more leg then torso, so my legs are bent some with the seat all the way back. My head clears the sunroof on my car fine, barely, but fine. Now when i got into a friends 86 GT with no sunroof, no dice. i had NO HEADROOM. It was so bad it would be very uncomfortable and unsafe to drive. I was amazed by the difference. A t-top car....well I have yet to sit in one.
Also, i have an issue with my feet under the dash. I have size 15 shoe, so its a bit interesting to say the least. Which is also why I drive a Automatic Fiero. I tried to drive my dads 85 GT 4-speed and my foot kept getting stuck under the dash when i released the clutch.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-22-2009).]

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
I'm 6'3" and 245lbs. I fit just fine. Although when I switched to my Recaro's I lost a bit of space and now someone bigger than me probably won't fit.
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeDirect Link to This Post
I knew I wasn't crazy. I have come to realize that there are quite a few tall fiero owners and drivers. You know how little guys have little man syndrome and have to have big trucks and stuff to make them feel better? Maybe big guys have something like that too, but we have to have small things like small cars. Idk but it makes sense to me.

[This message has been edited by 85duke (edited 01-23-2009).]

eldervampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eldervampireSend a Private Message to eldervampireDirect Link to This Post
My Buddy joe is 6'5" and tips the scale at 360. He has driven 2 of mine and his problem was shoe size. He's rollin around on size 16's.
When he drove my GT he had to take off his shoes to use the clutch. Drove 100 miles with his toes. True.

Mike
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eldervampire:

My Buddy joe is 6'5" and tips the scale at 360. He has driven 2 of mine and his problem was shoe size. He's rollin around on size 16's.
When he drove my GT he had to take off his shoes to use the clutch. Drove 100 miles with his toes. True.

Mike

That is most likely what I would have to do.
By the way, I forgot to add that I only weigh 150 pounds.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-23-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
BigGuyTinyCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Was I summoned?
Yes I have enough room, and I'm 6' 5"
As, you can see (or maybe not) My body is disproportional. I have more leg then torso, so my legs are bent some with the seat all the way back. My head clears the sunroof on my car fine, barely, but fine. Now when i got into a friends 86 GT with no sunroof, no dice. i had NO HEADROOM. It was so bad it would be very uncomfortable and unsafe to drive. I was amazed by the difference. A t-top car....well I have yet to sit in one.
Also, i have an issue with my feet under the dash. I have size 15 shoe, so its a bit interesting to say the least. Which is also why I drive a Automatic Fiero. I tried to drive my dads 85 GT 4-speed and my foot kept getting stuck under the dash when i released the clutch.

Now this has me worried again. I'm 6'5" but with more height in my torso. Head room may be a problem.
-Tim

Dash

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashDirect Link to This Post
i'm 6'4" and weight 100 kilo

i get in and out just fine. plenty of legroom and headroom

no bothersrome engine up front to annoy ya
BigGuyTinyCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2009 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarDirect Link to This Post
Had to revive this old thread.
I don't know how the heck you guys are fitting so easily. I finally sat in one and my head hit the ceiling in both the
sunroof and non-sunroof cars. The non-sunroof seemed to be slightly better, but not enough to make it comfortable.

How the heck did that 7-footer in the video above do it. Unless, of course, that was part of the joke and he wasn't
really driving the car more than a few blocks.

Maybe if I bolted the seat directly to the floor (as someone mentioned above) it would be possible...

May have to do some more research on that.

[This message has been edited by BigGuyTinyCar (edited 09-13-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea I fit fine and I'm 6' 5" .And a sun roofed car should be a lot better, as it is for me. I have zero clearance in a non-sun roofed fiero.
Maybe you just have a large Torso.
BigGuyTinyCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigGuyTinyCarSend a Private Message to BigGuyTinyCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Yea I fit fine and I'm 6' 5" .And a sun roofed car should be a lot better, as it is for me. I have zero clearance in a non-sun roofed fiero.
Maybe you just have a large Torso.

I do have a long torso. I should say that I do fit, it's just that my hair touches the headliner the whole time
Maybe my thick hair and long torso are the difference.

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
I'm yet to have a problem. My big ass and my friend Darnell who is 6'6" 300 pounds pile into my Formula all the time and we have no issues. Although the car isn't so happy about it. =P
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Fitting in one is one thing....getting in and out of one....now THAT'S another story...

You guys must know a secret that I don't. I'm only 5' 8" tall and I feel like a clumsy idiot trying to stuff myself in under and crawl out from behind the steering wheel of my "new" Fiero. Sure I fit just fine while in it, but geez, the cool factor wears off when I have to stumble out of it. I even put the seat all the way back to get in and out!
N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Fitting in one is one thing....getting in and out of one....now THAT'S another story...

You guys must know a secret that I don't. I'm only 5' 8" tall and I feel like a clumsy idiot trying to stuff myself in under and crawl out from behind the steering wheel of my "new" Fiero. Sure I fit just fine while in it, but geez, the cool factor wears off when I have to stumble out of it. I even put the seat all the way back to get in and out!

My friend Lanie who is 5'3" has issues getting out of it.. She can pretty much stand straight up inside the damn thing, I don't understand it. She puts her butt on the top of the seat and slides down to get in. And b*itches the whole time about crawling out. I never had a problem. To me the 88 Mustang 5.0 I had was more of a pain to get out of.

Pic to size reference:

Maybe it's those huge ta-ta's making it hard for her to get out with balance. =P
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

My friend Lanie who is 5'3" has issues getting out of it.. She can pretty much stand straight up inside the damn thing, I don't understand it. She puts her butt on the top of the seat and slides down to get in. And b*itches the whole time about crawling out. I never had a problem. To me the 88 Mustang 5.0 I had was more of a pain to get out of.

Maybe it's those huge ta-ta's making it hard for her to get out with balance. =P

Well, my male ta-ta's are getting more noticeable as I get older and fatter, but thinking that's not the issue. Guess I'll have to master the ass in siwng legs in method to get in and the swing legs out stand up method to get out. I'm not quitting though, not after all this time of wanting one. I'll just stay in the car until there are no witnesses

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 09-14-2009).]

SeanOf30306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanOf30306Send a Private Message to SeanOf30306Direct Link to This Post
Bringing this back to life yet again.

It really annoys me when tall people say they fit "just fine". No way.

I'm 6'5", 280. Back in 1987 (when I was only 210), I drove a new Fiero GT with T-Tops.

With the seat all the way back, and reclined as far as it would go, my head was maybe 1/4" below the T-Top, but hit the spot at the rear of the T-Top where it transitioned back into the roof of the car. You can look at the pic on page 1 posted by the kid who says it is "just fine" and see it.

If you were to drop a plumb bob from the top of the windshield, a correct seating position has your eyes level with the halfway point between the top and bottom of the windshield on thet plumb bob. Lower, and you can't see the road properly in front of the car. Higher, and you can't see stoplights when you're first in line at a stoplight. That was definitely the case in the Fiero I test drove.

Then there's the right leg jammed between the steering wheel and the and the dash. Several years ago, I saw a Fiero GT in a parking lot, and was reminded of how much I'd loved them. I wondered if there was any way to improve the headroom and legroom in a Fiero. I'd had a '70 Chevelle and had put '78 Camaro seats and brackets in it. Those brackets were 2" shorter than the Chevelle brackets, and it made all the difference in the world. I've never fit in a car better. I had an '89 Formula, and ironically, mounting Fiero brackets to the stock Firebird seats made a huge difference. While those brackets were only 1" shorter than the stock ones, the change was dramatic.

With those experiences under my belt, I began wondering if there wasn't some way to address the headroom and legroom issues in the Fiero, and joined here to see. To my surprise, owner after owner responded by saying they were about my size, and fitted just perfectly. It really puzzled me. I began to wonder if, back in 1987, maybe I'd gotten into a Fiero that had Firebird seat brackets mistakenly installed, or something. There was an awesome '88 GT for sale in Kansas City, so I drove 250 miles to see it with high hopes.

It was a nightmare. Getting in and out was an exercize in futility, my right leg/knee was jammed so tightly between the steering wheel and the right side of the dash that it was a safety issue, interfering with my ability to turn the wheel, and my head was jammed up against the roof. My first and enduring reaction was to be pissed at all the guys on here who'd assured me they were at, or near my size (or larger), and that there were no fitment problems. Kinda like the reaction OP had when he actually drove a Fiero.

Guys, I understand you love Fieros, but you're not being "disloyal" to them by acknowledging a problem they have. In fact, you're probably hurting them. Here I was, and here was OP, both loving Fieros, and both looking for a way to be able to comfortably fir in one. You guys deny the problem exists, or minimize it greatly, we try the car, and are shocked.

With all the amazing customization and modification I see happening on this board, I have no doubt there are numerous fabricators in this community with the skills necessary to solve this problem. Instead of denying it exists, why don't you make it a project, and ask the help of some of those fabricators?

Here I am, more than three years after I drove that Fiero, still checking back to see if anything's been discovered, only to see the problem is still being denied.

I've measured the Fiero brackets on my Firebird, and if the seats were direct-mounted to the floor in a Fiero, I believe there's at least an inch of headroom to be gained. Perhaps more. It may not sound like much, but from my experience with the Fiero brackets in my Firebird, I can tell you it is a HUGE difference.

The front of the seat would need to be higher, in relation to the back, to give support to the underside of the tall driver's legs. When I did this in my Firebird, it made another big difference.

Oddly, the next changes would be to space the steering wheel and shifter another 1-2" back. In my Firebird, with the seat far enough back and reclined enough to give me adequate legroom (barely) and headroom, I found the steering wheel to be too far away from me, and I was having to reach uncomfortably far forward for the shifter in 1st, 3rd, and reverse.

Just my opinion
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I am 6'4" tall, 350 lbs...

I fit comfortably in my Fiero, even for long trips.

My Driver's side seat is mounted flat to the floor with no rails, but I have 3 inches of amplifiers mounted on the wall behind the seat, plus a tactile transducer in the back of the seat.

With the rails in, and the seat all the way back, I have to slouch in the seat to avoid head contact with the headliner..

My knees are not uncomfortably bent, but stretching the legs on a long trip, or kicking the shoes off while driving are a nono for me, as there just isn't any room.

I removed the rails for the additional head room, and the amps will be relocated soon, which should help considerably.

GMplastic

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GMplasticSend a Private Message to GMplasticDirect Link to This Post
I am 4' 30" tall, 200 pounds and I fit just fine! Even wearing a cowboy hat! (for anybody who won't do the math, that's 6' 6")

My youngest son, (LaFierte on PFF) is also 6' 6" and drives the red 86 gt daily. My oldest son (yellow87fierogt on PFF) is 6' 4" and also drives his daily. We even make somewhat regular runs from the Duluth, MN area to the Flint/Detroit area . . . about 770 miles across the Michigan U.P. and it seems snug but comfortable.

MR2's, Solstices, Sky's and Porsche Boxters are completely out of the question. I can't even get my knees under the the wheel and close the door.

------------------
Gold '87 GT, Black '87 GT, Black '88 Mera, 64 Stingray coupe, '01 Corvette coupe, '03 Corvette coupe & caretaker of son's Yellow '87 GT, & Other son's Red '86 GT,
General tinkerer and doer of mechanical deeds

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I'm only 6'1 I don't think I would buy the car if I were any taller.
I do have to lean forward sometimes to see stoplights.
I would not have bought a manual car as my left knee would be hitting the wheel all day.
Though I did read somewhere that Delorean made it a requirement that he fit in the car. He was 6'4 I believe.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I'm 6'2 with a size 13 foot, I could see how a size 15 foot could get tricky around those pedals. If I were taller I'd have some issues I might think. As I tilt the seat back some then slide it back all the way as far as it will go. It is then perfect! Some people can have teh seat back more vertical but that bugs my back after a while.

But hey its a Fiero, if something doesn't fit, modify it!

Mines a 5 speed BTW, just make sure you have a tilt wheel!

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-22-2010).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
6' 4" and I can fit with a full sized motorcycle helmet, and the seat up a click or 2. I usually lean all the way back to the wall though.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
i'm 6 foot and my head leaves marks on my sunroof. with the seat pretty much all the way back, but im not sure if anyone else mention this here but can't you lower the seat something like 3 inches? isn't that what the chop top owners usually do at archies?
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Originally when the Fiero was designed, two of the requirements were that it would fit someone up to 6'4" comfortably, and that a set of golf clubs could fit in the trunk. A set of clubs must have been much smaller back then. However, even those would not fit in a Solstice!

I'm only 6'1" so I fit just fine.
SeanOf30306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanOf30306Send a Private Message to SeanOf30306Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

i'm 6 foot and my head leaves marks on my sunroof. with the seat pretty much all the way back, but im not sure if anyone else mention this here but can't you lower the seat something like 3 inches? isn't that what the chop top owners usually do at archies?

Lowering the seat would make a huge difference. I'd love to know how they do it.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SeanOf30306:

Bringing this back to life yet again.

It really annoys me when tall people say they fit "just fine". No way.

I'm 6'5", 280. Back in 1987 (when I was only 210), I drove a new Fiero GT with T-Tops.

With the seat all the way back, and reclined as far as it would go, my head was maybe 1/4" below the T-Top, but hit the spot at the rear of the T-Top where it transitioned back into the roof of the car. You can look at the pic on page 1 posted by the kid who says it is "just fine" and see it.

If you were to drop a plumb bob from the top of the windshield, a correct seating position has your eyes level with the halfway point between the top and bottom of the windshield on thet plumb bob. Lower, and you can't see the road properly in front of the car. Higher, and you can't see stoplights when you're first in line at a stoplight. That was definitely the case in the Fiero I test drove.

Then there's the right leg jammed between the steering wheel and the and the dash. Several years ago, I saw a Fiero GT in a parking lot, and was reminded of how much I'd loved them. I wondered if there was any way to improve the headroom and legroom in a Fiero. I'd had a '70 Chevelle and had put '78 Camaro seats and brackets in it. Those brackets were 2" shorter than the Chevelle brackets, and it made all the difference in the world. I've never fit in a car better. I had an '89 Formula, and ironically, mounting Fiero brackets to the stock Firebird seats made a huge difference. While those brackets were only 1" shorter than the stock ones, the change was dramatic.

With those experiences under my belt, I began wondering if there wasn't some way to address the headroom and legroom issues in the Fiero, and joined here to see. To my surprise, owner after owner responded by saying they were about my size, and fitted just perfectly. It really puzzled me. I began to wonder if, back in 1987, maybe I'd gotten into a Fiero that had Firebird seat brackets mistakenly installed, or something. There was an awesome '88 GT for sale in Kansas City, so I drove 250 miles to see it with high hopes.

It was a nightmare. Getting in and out was an exercize in futility, my right leg/knee was jammed so tightly between the steering wheel and the right side of the dash that it was a safety issue, interfering with my ability to turn the wheel, and my head was jammed up against the roof. My first and enduring reaction was to be pissed at all the guys on here who'd assured me they were at, or near my size (or larger), and that there were no fitment problems. Kinda like the reaction OP had when he actually drove a Fiero.

Guys, I understand you love Fieros, but you're not being "disloyal" to them by acknowledging a problem they have. In fact, you're probably hurting them. Here I was, and here was OP, both loving Fieros, and both looking for a way to be able to comfortably fir in one. You guys deny the problem exists, or minimize it greatly, we try the car, and are shocked.

With all the amazing customization and modification I see happening on this board, I have no doubt there are numerous fabricators in this community with the skills necessary to solve this problem. Instead of denying it exists, why don't you make it a project, and ask the help of some of those fabricators?

Here I am, more than three years after I drove that Fiero, still checking back to see if anything's been discovered, only to see the problem is still being denied.

I've measured the Fiero brackets on my Firebird, and if the seats were direct-mounted to the floor in a Fiero, I believe there's at least an inch of headroom to be gained. Perhaps more. It may not sound like much, but from my experience with the Fiero brackets in my Firebird, I can tell you it is a HUGE difference.

The front of the seat would need to be higher, in relation to the back, to give support to the underside of the tall driver's legs. When I did this in my Firebird, it made another big difference.

Oddly, the next changes would be to space the steering wheel and shifter another 1-2" back. In my Firebird, with the seat far enough back and reclined enough to give me adequate legroom (barely) and headroom, I found the steering wheel to be too far away from me, and I was having to reach uncomfortably far forward for the shifter in 1st, 3rd, and reverse.

Just my opinion

I am truly sorry to hear your frustration, but the reason nothing has been done is because for 98% of Fiero owners, nothing needs to be done. Myself, I'm 6' 5", 150 lbs. I think the weight difference is the issue, I would imagine if I was a "bigger" guy, I would have problems like you describe. But since I'm so thin, I have no problems inside the Fiero. I fit great, everything is in the right place and the correct distance. My right leg doesn't even touch the steering wheel. You need to remember that two people can be 6' 5", but body proportions can be quite different, like for me, my legs take up most of the height, while someone else could have a larger torso. Getting in the Fiero isn't bad, I kinda just fall in, getting out is a little more difficult, but then again I'm young (18), so that's not really an issue either. My seat is all the way back, and the way I sit, my head is in the sunroof area of my Fiero, so no headroom issues either for me.

I'm sorry to say Fiero's do not have a problem in this area, but there are certain people that just don't fit. It has more a cockpit feel to the interior, and (no offense to anyone) "larger" people have trouble fitting in sometimes. Not all larger people, just some.

EDIT: SeanOf30306, if you wish, I could take a picture of me in a Fiero for the cause of this thread so you would believe me if you don't.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-22-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
well with about any small sports car anyone of 6 foot or higher height wont see most of the road with the sun visors down...just gotta compensate. Can also buy one with a sunroof and look out it for the stop light =)
kkavmann69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kkavmann69Send a Private Message to kkavmann69Direct Link to This Post
Just shy of 6'3" and 225ish. Once your in the car you are fine. It's getting in and out of it that's the issue.
Don't get me wrong I love my Fiero but it is very low to the ground. Go in butt first. Thats what I do.

------------------
Chuck
86 Fiero SE

skwrks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skwrksSend a Private Message to skwrksDirect Link to This Post
I am 6'6" 290 and it is snug, but not horrible. The worst part is getting my 60+ year old carcass in and out of it lowered. I had a new '88 back then but was 6'7" and 190 and we drove it it from Indy to Key West and were quite comfortable. I lot depends on how flexable you are. As mentioned above MR2, Solstace, Sky, Honda 2000 I cant get my shins under the dash.

albert

[This message has been edited by skwrks (edited 11-22-2010).]

Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post
6'2" and I fit pretty good in the fiero! I'm not as tall as some of the people on here though!
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I sorta slide into a little "lean" i guess. I put the seat up a click or 2, lay the seat all the way back to the wall, and bend my knees more when I am racing with my helmet on. I do this normally so I suppose I do not see any issues with it.

With helmet, I am easily 6'7".... probably more.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock