Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  FINALLY! Pictures of prototype body panels! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
FINALLY! Pictures of prototype body panels! by Songman
Started on: 10-19-2008 10:40 PM
Replies: 119
Last post by: solotwo on 11-24-2010 08:47 PM
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Well... If you remember...
This thread - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070866.html - where FieroFantatic13 had made contact with a company about creating some new Fiero body panels...
And this thread - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/071001.html - where I had spoken with the company in question and had made a plan to take a couple of my Fieros down there for them to play with for a while...

This is the update!
The beginning schedule is out the window but we finally have some photos of the direction that the company is going with the body panels. They actually wanted/needed the car longer but I want my wife to have it for the Coast Run this coming weekend so they had to throw it together for me. Obviously it is not finished and the parts that are on it are just the first round prototypes. After the Coast Run the car will go back to them for more modifying, but this time it will go with input from some Fiero owners. Tell me what you think of the pictures, and those of you that will be at the Coast Run can check it out in person and tell me what you think.

Remember that these are just rough parts and are in no way the final product. They were just quickly attached to the car for the Run. Obviously nothing has been done to the door treatments yet. The fact that the line of the bottom scoop on the rocker doesn't line up with the door makes this very obvious. Use your imagination to see the car all done and tell me what you think. Oh yeah.. and imagine it with bigger wheels too! haha

Everyone said they wanted it to still look like a Fiero, but modded. Did it work?

------------------
The 6th Annual California Coast Run
October 24-26, 2008
http://www.fiero-performance.com

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 10-19-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Still have to have side marker lights and screens put in place in all the vents.

And finally... All loaded up and ready to go. This car has MAJOR wiring problems that I will be working on all week so I ended up having to call AAA for the ride home. Looks pretty good up there if you ask me.

------------------
October 24-26, 2008

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Songman

12496 posts
Member since Aug 2000
And after I get this one back and they can finish it up, then they start on my fastback!

------------------
October 24-26, 2008

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2008 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Looks awesome. I think a lot of members will be happy
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

My opinion.

Love the rear !

I like the direction you are going with the sides, very different.

The nose ?? Hmmm,....something about it just doesn't do it for me. Can't put my finger on it, but just not blown away by it.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Side marker lights to break up the large area on the sides will help. Also, it originally had vents in the side but they took them out because I was in a hurry and they didn't have time to detail them. This is the second version of the nose. The first one didn't match the car at all so they made some changes to make it match the body lines a little better. Still more massaging to come.
Kyle1016

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Direct Link to This Post
ehhh

side scoops are just not doing it for me and do not flow with the body at all. Rear is way too ricey for me also, looks so boxy.

The front has potential, but just looks like they just stopped. Kinda looks way to plain, and just slopes.
Maybe with some black screen in front it might look good.

I'm excited to see the final front end though.

I'm not bashing, just my taste

[This message has been edited by Kyle1016 (edited 10-20-2008).]

Kyle1016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle1016Send a Private Message to Kyle1016Direct Link to This Post

Kyle1016

483 posts
Member since Apr 2006
man, the front end is growing on me. Looking back at all the pictures, i really like the angle it has.
MetroMatt

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MetroMattClick Here to visit MetroMatt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MetroMattDirect Link to This Post
I looove the rear bumper, very very awesome, I migth be interested in this as a standalone part down the road.

Side skirts, I'll reserve judgement for a little while, I'm liking where they are heading, but my imagination isnt working too well right now.

Front bumper, not a fan of. I think its the fact that it looks so plain leading up to the headlights, and its kind of a dated look imho.

But yeah, lovin the rear for sure.

matthew hanson
101st
3.6lvvt6spdgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.6lvvt6spdgtSend a Private Message to 3.6lvvt6spdgtDirect Link to This Post
LOVE THE BUMPERS not to hot about the side skirts... nice work.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
I really like the front end, it looks like it would function as a good air dam and it looks cool too. As the for the rear, it's just too ricey for me. The non-functional scoops and bar thing along the bottom makes me think that way. The sides scoops (all 4 of them) are quite ricey as well. I say make it one scoop on each side, no scoops on the back, change the exhaust ports on the bumper so they match the tailpipe (more of a squarish-oval shape, the polygon makes no sense), and give whoever designed the front end a big fat medal.

Just my $.02
Cant wait to see the next design!
PFF
System Bot
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post
Here is what i think, if you shorten up the front end, kinda make it a lil more smug, give it some more areas for fog lights maybe and give the exhaust tips some room, it'll be looking real sharp. Good job guys.

Edit: cant wait to see the fast back, and i like the vents

[This message has been edited by JesseM (edited 10-20-2008).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I told em they were going to have to do more than one style kit!
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
First of all, you really need to lose the door ground fx with that kind of rocker panel. Here's a crappy PS idea I have. (I may have lowered it a little too much in the front. ) Make that one and I'll buy it. (Note: I don't even have a Fiero currently.)

bamman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanDirect Link to This Post
The side and rear is great. The tail pipes are too short, nothing wrong with the rear bumper cover. It needs a wrap around spoiler to smooth out the rear. The front needs the signal lights smooth in with a small driving light opening below them. The radiator opening I really like, its sort of, " In Your Face" if you were looking at it in your rear view mirror.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post
Wow. This is exciting- I am really on board with the Rear Bumper cover and the sides for the most part- but the Front Bumper looks long to me- similar to the F355 Ferrari style noses. With the short rear bumper, I'm not a huge fan of the long nose. That being said, I might buy it anyway! But I'd sure like to see a shorter, more "blunt" type nose with modern styling cues (but not giant "ricer" scoops, etc.). I'd like to see maybe a "recessed air dam" (similar to the stock formula nose where you have a two tiered look but have it more integrated like a stock second generation MR2 does it) on the lower portion that allows a shorter nose but still keeping the low front lip. When you keep that front "air dam" at the leading edge of the nose, it has to be quite long IMHO.

My first thought is more like this 288 GTO from the side, but sans the giant light assemblies and bumper pad:

Or the Ford GT (note that the lower portion is recessed, not jutting out the furthest on the front):

Or this supposed Lamborghini concept/model (note the nose has a two tiered look to it that reduces visual length I think):

And (blasphemy), the second gen MR2 did something like this (no "anti" mr 2 comments please, as this is just ideas):

This is pretty awesome if they can keep the price down to an affordable level!

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 10-20-2008).]

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I like the ideas, and seeing how its still in the prototype stages I'll hold final judgment on the kit. The front end is way to plain and reminds me of a duckbill fierosaur. The side skirt look like it has potential but the split vent thing just doesn't work for me. I like the rear thought it has a kind of sport compact meets lambo kind of look to it round it out more and its golden. I was wondering though don't gt's have different rear clips?

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 10-20-2008).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

First of all, you really need to lose the door ground fx with that kind of rocker panel. Here's a crappy PS idea I have. (I may have lowered it a little too much in the front. ) Make that one and I'll buy it. (Note: I don't even have a Fiero currently.)

Nice Photoshop. But yeah, you might have lowered it too much. This car is already lowered and just barely got on the rollback for the trip home! And, the GT door pieces are just still on there because the doors haven't been done yet. They would not be on the finished car.

Good ideas everyone. Keep them coming.

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
reflectors for the rear? I like the ones curly used...

Front... not feeling that at all... Like the air dam thing though

sides...still out on that one.

All in all looks good!
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I told them to not do side markers and reflectors because each person has different tastes and would want something different, plus that is a way that each person can personalize their look. If they were to have molded something like what Curly did, then anyone who wanted to order the kit would have to be willing to spend another $100+ for marker lights and reflectors.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I think all the parts look pretty good. Id just hope they are quality done. I get a lot of fiberglass aftermarket stuff for all kinds of cars, and LOTS of it is junk.
PFF
System Bot
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Roger, that will be the next step after we finally get a design we like. They keep asking me about price. They said they can do a cheap setup that would be $400-500 for the whole kit or a good quality version that would be $1000 or more for the kit. They ask me which Fiero owners would prefer. I tell them that they want the $1000+ kit for $400 but I can't sell them on it! haha

Honestly, I think there are people in both camps. The parts that I see laying on their shelves look very good and seem very strong.

I just hope we can get a good design and a good price so people will buy. They are already talking about doing more designs, more parts, and even offering carbon fiber if everything goes well with this first set.

------------------
October 24-26, 2008

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Its a good start... although everything seems a little too "rounded" and I think the front and rear bumpers need more defining lines (sharp edges).

The side skirts don't flow with the design at all...
Swedish Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Swedish FieroClick Here to visit Swedish Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Swedish FieroDirect Link to This Post
I think it looks great.. Yes.. the nose is long but it follows the natural curve from the hood, there are some front bumpers out there that does not do this and it looks unnatural and does not make the car look beautiful at all... ex. some F355 bumpers I´ve seen for sale.

I think this will be a very good body kit, keep up the good work

------------------
Swedish Fiero

Dedicated owner of an 88 Fiero GT

MetroMatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MetroMattClick Here to visit MetroMatt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MetroMattDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Its a good start... although everything seems a little too "rounded" and I think the front and rear bumpers need more defining lines (sharp edges).

The side skirts don't flow with the design at all...

the reason for this, is because they haven't finished it at all. He said in the beginning about how the rocker doesnt line up with the doors, you've gotta use your imagination to see where this might end up. I'm thinking they could look very good, when finished.

Matthew Hanson
101st
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I know I really like using body kits made of ABS / injection molded plastic. I know its a lot more expensive than fiberglass though to manufacture. It takes paint extremely well, easy to prep and no kind of primer or sealer is needed. Just base and clearcoat and its done. Paint also adheres much better than fiberglass and far more chip resistant. Keep working on it, I do like the styling.
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
Are they planning on making that same rear end for the fastback models? I think the design is nice except (personnally for me) I would prefer the opening for the pipes to be rounded instead of square like they have it.....other than that I think the design is pretty nice. Looking forward to seeing it in person at the coast run.....thanks for sharing this with us Dale.

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Jess, they will be making something similar for the fastback, except the plan is for it to be two pieces with a center diffuser. I agree about rounding out the exhaust openings.

I am sure all of this feedback will be considered when we go back to work.

------------------
October 24-26, 2008

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
I was really hoping for a stubby nose, but at least its fiberglass.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 10-20-2008).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Nothing is written in stone (or final fiberlass) yet. This is just the beginning.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
Even if it was set in "fiberglass" I could live with it but I wouldn't leave it as is.
PFF
System Bot
JennsDream

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JennsDreamSend a Private Message to JennsDreamDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

i like this A LOT!!!!!!!! i wish i had thought of it . . .
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Is the red one real or Photoshop?

------------------
October 24-26, 2008

rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
This is looking REALLY SWEEEEEET! The only change I would make would be the "Monkeyman" version of the side-skirts.....to me that is a real winner and appears to be alot more functional for intercoolers and the like. The nose also appears to be a great place to add on a splitter (as in IMSA, Rolex, or ALS). A $400-$500 version would sell great on this forum!

[This message has been edited by rjblaze (edited 10-20-2008).]

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Is the red one real or Photoshop?

Its Fie Ro's car photochopped and smoothed a little. Someone else did the chop, I did all the small changes.

this is the real thing

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 10-20-2008).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

Pretty slick looking! I think I like that best of anything I have seen in this thread so far.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Some cool ideas i found on the web (note none of these are my design and belong to whomever developed them)

Side nose vent:

Nice side treatment and short stylish nose ( not mine design belongs to person listed):

Interesting nose opening designs with shorter nose:

JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

This nose plz!
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
I will take two of these please to build my dream car!

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 10-21-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock